LC
Years ago

Mills lights up the Cavs

Patty Mills has torched the Cleveland Cavaliers for a game-high 20 points in 20 minutes as the Spurs routed the hapless Cav's 125-90.

Mills shot 8/11 from the field and hit 4/5 from downtown. He also had 2 rebounds, 2 assists and 1 turnover.

Go Patty!

Topic #27991 | Report this topic

Vart  
Years ago

Great to see him back doing his thing!

It couldnt have worked out better for Patty than to go to the Spurs. Will be awesome to see him go deep into the playoffs with this talented squad.

Reply #357260 | Report this post

Harry Balls  
Years ago

That is awesome!

I had to check the boxscore to believe it...they shot nearly 60% as a team for the game.

Reply #357263 | Report this post

Bobby Tables  
Years ago

Great performance by Patty. He's a fantastic fit for the Spurs as between him and Green, Parker can be rested in games that aren't close. The healthier the Spurs are come playoff time, the more dangerous they'll be.

Reply #357264 | Report this post

birdman  
Years ago

great stuff patty, was Kyrie Irving playing and matching up on him? if so does this show the boomers are in as good a hands with patty!!?

If nothing else it will be a great boost of confidence for him and the boomers leading into the olympics and may give him a chance to have input into a championship campaign with the spurs in the playoffs!

Reply #357265 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Great news

Reply #357266 | Report this post

birdman  
Years ago

from NBA.com game review.....

"When the Cavs scored four quick points to open the second quarter, Popovich called a timeout and spent the break ripping into his players, particularly Mills, who gave up an easy layup."

Reply #357267 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It would appear Mills responded pretty well to being called out

Reply #357268 | Report this post

Simon  
Years ago

To be honest it was while the game had already been decided, and he just kept shooting.

It was like he was back on the Tigers.

Still good on him but yeah the boxscore doesn't say everything

Reply #357269 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great personal result, but lets put it in perspective, was a 35 point blow out! Heal and Anstey both had flash in the pan moments in there NBA careers, but having said that Patty has more chance to succeed.

Either way, he wont wont to piss Pop off defensively again, that'll get you in the Texas doghouse quick smart!

Reply #357270 | Report this post

tropical booz  
Years ago

Junk mins but you can only do what u can do. He's very much a score first guard. Would like to see him be a bit more 'nash like' & create for teammates. Still a great effort 2day!!

Reply #357272 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

I dont think Mills will ever play 'Nash like'. His role will be to be a spark off the bench, by both creating havoc defensively (picking up opposing point guards full court) and scoring some quick points.

Reply #357274 | Report this post

benno  
Years ago

his not a passing point guard vart he will never be anything like nash his a scoring machine

Reply #357275 | Report this post

Skud  
Years ago

Doesnt matter if he scored in Junk Minutes. Ofcourse 20 minutes of the game cant all be Junk minutes so that statements crap anyway.

He has to prove he has what it takes at this level and this is a good step in the reight direction to do so.

Reply #357279 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I remember Jawai leading the T-Wolves in scoring one game too, from memory had like 16 & 9 in that game.

Reply #357281 | Report this post

Juror 12  
Years ago

I have never scored any points in the NBA, not even in junk time.

Well done Patty!

Reply #357285 | Report this post

phil  
Years ago

^^^^ lol ^^^^^^

well said

Reply #357288 | Report this post

Bobby Tables  
Years ago

Heh, I love the detractors.

"It was in junk time"

well, considering he's a reserve and plays limited minutes, where do you expect him to do his scoring from? do you expect him to shoot from the bench?

Reply #357290 | Report this post

tropical booz  
Years ago

Read the full post, i'm hardly a detractor. Vart i'm talking when he plays 4 OZ. He needs to be able to create. Our bigs need the ball! When you get your court time when the game is officially over according to the coach, it is known as junk minutes! Didn't realise how sensitive u all are. Thought Patty was from ACT not SA!!

Reply #357291 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

Ah, I see where your coming from Trop Booz. Yes, it would be nice for him to play more 'Nash like' when he plays for Australia, but its always dangerous to ask players to step away from their natural games. I'm an advocate of seeing Dellavedova and Mills as a backcourt combo guard pairing, and just getting them to play each play as they see best, much like they both did at St Marys.

Reply #357292 | Report this post

Bobby Tables  
Years ago

Hahaha, it's not us being sensitive. It's us pointing out that destracting from his effort purely because the game was over at half time is a pretty petty observation. If that's the minutes he's getting right now, then so be it - all the better for Patty since he was playing a shit team and was able to score.

Considering in a condensed season teams will have fewer practices, there are fewer opportunities for players to make a case for playing more minutes - so even if it's junk time, if ANY player, Australian or not, puts in an effort and plays well, then they still deserve some recognition - not just "oh it didn't matter cos it was junk time".

I've seen games where 'junk time' becomes 'game time' because the bench has not performed well enough to maintain the lead built by the starters. I remember one notorious game a couple years back where Boston had to bring starters back on in the 4th due to their bench not being able to perform - leading to KG lambasting Glen Davis, who sat on the bench and cried (yes, literally cried).

Reply #357293 | Report this post

Baller#3  
Years ago

I was following the game and he had 10 of those points in the first half...or three quarters I know it was before the 4th quarter and he obviously wasn't just shooting otherwise he would have a crap fg% to go with it! Haters gonna hate everytime!

Reply #357295 | Report this post

athlete  
Years ago

Having watched the game on league pass, the 20 points, while it's good, i wouldn't say it means so much as what people make out, he had something like 6 points at the of the 4th quarter it looked like literally nobody on the Cavs even cared anymore (his iso jumpshot move looked really clumsy and weird). All his 3's came off the well known ball-watching efforts of Irving and Sloan, who are both terrible defensively.

So while it's certainly good and has promising signs, the Cavs are crap to sum it up defensively at the PG position, and Mills still got burned a fair bit defensively himself, people just need to look at the realistic signs of things here. He's still the third/fourth PG on that rotation (Danny Green and Gary Neal are still in front of him), and will need to prove himself against credible opposition to get more minutes from Pop.

Reply #357305 | Report this post

Tassieballer  
Years ago

Thats millsome or millsanity or millasing!!!

Reply #357311 | Report this post

Speed44  
Years ago

Danny Green is NOT a PG, even remotely. He was drafted as a SF/SG, and that is what he plays. Neal is a combo. Ginobili is more of a "PG" than Green is.

Reply #357314 | Report this post

ritz  
Years ago

patty stacks rocks tha cavs...

Will be a starter in time, massive upside playing for the spurs

Reply #357315 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

I agree Vart. Bring on that backcourt combo!!

Reply #357322 | Report this post

athlete  
Years ago

Danny Green isn't a PG, your probably right, but he has been playing the role as a backup to Parker, and has been playing this role over Mills in his few games with the Spurs, splitting the role with Neal. Those two have been splitting it ever the season started, Mills has just filled what TJ Ford was doing before he got injured again.

Reply #357324 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

There is just too much hate in the world, and for someone like Mills? Wow!

Credit where credit is due, Patty got an opportunity and grabbed it with both hands to make it a winner.

PS: I think given that given their respective strengths and weaknesses, playing Patty alongside Delly for the Boomers is looking a far more attractive proposition, if not for bulk minutes in London, then definitely in the 2014 WC campaign!

Reply #357344 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Spurs played today in Boston and following Patty's 20 points last game he play 0 minutes..

Reply #357397 | Report this post

aussieboomers4eva  
Years ago

Maybe they're resting him for the playoffs? ;)

Reply #357400 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:47 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754