Anonymous
Years ago

Basketball questions Football funding

http://www.nbl.com.au/news/article/2012/april/basketball-questions-commonwealth-sports-funding/

Hopefully Kristina Keneally can actually do something to reverse this kind of craziness with her political background!

Interesting quote: "Coming on the heels of reports of a quiet injection from the Federal Government of $7.5 million to fill an apparent black hole in the FFA's accounts, today's announcement seems to be pouring more money into a professional sport league without scrutiny or consideration to the lack of parity in government funding to other major sports bodies."

Topic #27994 | Report this topic

ANON12  
Years ago

What a great article. Hopefully BA will be successful and any funds that are obtained benefit ALL STATES. Let's face it, SA needs new/better venues than the current substandard stadiums - Hillcrest, Marion, St Clair, etc.

Reply #357312 | Report this post

ITK  
Years ago

Its about time the Governmemt took our sport seriously.
Great choice for BA Chair

Reply #357316 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

At the end of the day it is difficult not to be too cynical when it comes to government funding/handouts.

Reply #357323 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

This may be one of the most significant things that Basketball Australia has done in the 20 years or so I have been involved in the sport.

They have received coverage in the Age today, not sure about other Mastheads.

They need to snipe about this stuff, but they also need to be smart about it. They need to rally other sports to the cause.

The AFL, Rugby League and Netball have in the past gone hand in hand to Government to lobby about funding. Likewise, AFL, RU, ARL and Cricket combined to tackle television and anti-siphoning laws.

This is the first time I can remember basketball doing anything but playing the "nice" game with Government.

Reply #357335 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yep its what i would do - start a fight with the organisation that funds the sport. Isn't it time to look at why basketball is in the position it is, rather than whinge when they don't get what they want?

Cheap political point scoring which will end in tears!

Reply #357349 | Report this post

ineedmore  
Years ago

I agree HO.

This is a pretty major shift for BA and long overdue.

Reply #357353 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Anon, your comments have little credence and you show yourself to be very naive.

For a start, Keneally has put her name to this. She has a strong relationship with the Australian party and would know exactly what she is doing. She points out the inadequacy of the ASC refusing to fund professional basketball but the Government turning around weeks later and simply pouring money into football. This is 8 million dollars to help start a football team!! More than BA get in a whole year from the ASC.

Second, the definition of insanity is continuing to do the same thing and expect a different result. BA has been non-controversial (nice and sucky even) to Government for a long long time. Where has it got them? It is time to change up both the approach and language.

Third, you ask why basketball is where it is at? I'll tell you basketball generally is in very good shape - that is a provable and sustainable comment. Participation is still doing superbly, on a national basis. Our international teams and athletes continue to perform well. I cannot remember the last time BA was broke and had to go to the Government for cash to make-up for a black hole in their finances.

Contrast this to football, who have had three major government instigated reviews in the last seven years, the last one reporting that FFA was something of a fat cat that needed to be trimmed back. They blew 45 million on a disastrous bid. According to the BA release, they got 7.5 million to fill a black hole just this year.

What is the message? It is clear that if you are incompetent, poorly managed, and fiscally incapable, then the government will give you cash to help you out.

It has been reported here before that FFA has received bucket loads more cash than any other sport in Australia in direct operational assistance over the last 5 - 7 years - and that on top of the bid money.

Squeaky wheel my friend - sometimes you have to let your participant base know that you care. Thumbs up to BA for doing this.

Reply #357410 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I agree completely HO.

If BA got $15mill they could potentially set up a team in Brisbane and put in place some extensive programs to link the grassroots with the elite in each major centre, delivering some pretty good healthy lifestyle programs along the way.

Reply #357413 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

HO and Paul just shows what you know - not sure that is the case with Keneally? but naturally I bow to your superior knowledge (sic) and bully behaviour as no one can voice an alternate opinion?

I didnt ask for your opinion or comment on yours just expressed mine - how naive of me.

Reply #357477 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I apologise for not thinking that BA should not just be meek like they have for a long time now.

Reply #357482 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Stay in line . Stay in step
People are afraid of someone who is not in step with them. It makes them look foolish to themselves for being in step. It might even cross their minds that they themselves are in the wrong step......

Reply #357496 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Boti's Around The NBL column again didn't make it into today's Advertiser (I might have to re-think buying Thursday's paper at all now) but it was up online and he agreed extensively with everything KK said and how the A-League didn't warrant getting another $8 million in funding.

Reply #357506 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Boti's rant:

BASKETBALL Australia is rightly outraged the Federal Government has thrown more "good money after bad" with another $8 million hand-out for soccer.
The Feds are "investing" the money with the Football Federation of Australia (FFA) to "support the growth of soccer in western Sydney" and the new A-League franchise.

What a load of BS and BA has had enough, chairman Kristina Keneally refusing to sit quietly as another code gets a big-dollar Government bail-out ... er, "investment".

Remember how much taxpayer money went down the gurgler with the failed World Cup bid?

"Coming on the heels of reports of a quiet injection from the Federal Government of $7.5 million to fill an apparent black hole in the FFA's accounts, today's announcement seems to be pouring more money into a professional sport league without scrutiny or consideration to the lack of parity in government funding to other major sports bodies," Ms Keneally said last night.

OK. At this point, I have to admit I am falling head-over-high-heels for this woman.

She said that as recently as February, the BA Board was told by the Australian Sports Commission the Commonwealth Government did not provide significant injections of funds into sports with professional leagues.

"That message doesn't ring true when the Board of Basketball Australia sees the Commonwealth putting over $15 million into the FFA in just the past three months," Ms Keneally said.

"It is irrelevant whether the funding comes from the ASC or consolidated revenue - it's all taxpayer funds, and in this case, being directed seemingly to a single sport consistently.

"Basketball in Australia is a major success story.

"All four of our international teams are ranked in the top 10 in the world and all are in line to perform well at the Olympics and Paralympics.

"The top female basketball player in the world, Lauren Jackson, is Australian.

"Our NBL and WNBL are regarded internationally as significant and high-level competitions.

"Attendance at NBL and WNBL games has been consistently increasing and TV viewership is also on the rise.

"More than one million Australians play basketball and Australia is ranked globally in the top five basketball playing nations in the world.

"The Crawford Report even recognised basketball as one of this country's most popular sports that contributes significantly to the 'national ethos'.

"Yet despite this success, basketball competes in a crowded sports and entertainment market and our NBL and WNBL clubs - just like clubs in many other professional leagues - struggle financially."

Sorry.

You can't have Ms KK.

I saw her first.

Seriously, this woman has more Ballingers than our past 10 BA chairpeople and there's not one thing she has said which isn't 100 per cent accurate.

She could never be a journalist.

"Rivers of money flowing from the Commonwealth to one professional league - soccer - at the expense of many others creates a significantly uneven playing field, and exacerbates the challenges basketball's men's and women's professional teams face," Keneally said.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/basketball/around-nbl-a-kick-in-the-guts/story-e6frect3-1226319572328

Reply #357508 | Report this post

Big ads  
Years ago

It is good she can use her media profile to basketball into the press but truth be known, Kristina might have had better luck if she was more valuable to the "faceless men" and their heavy hitting support networks.

Reply #357521 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Fine #357477

Let's assume your premise is correct.

Now, what would you be advising BA do about the fact that Football continues to be stumped cash for operational development, whereas every other sport basically gets cash for elite programs?

What do you think the response should be?

Reply #357547 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

Why doesn't she question Rugby League / AFL funding in the past 5 years? The Federal dollar amounts that have gone to those sports at the elite levels in stadium upgrades alone is staggering.

Reply #357575 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:04 am, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754