ineedmore
Years ago

Basketball bites back?

Ms. Keneally said Basketball Australia would be commissioning an independent economic assessment of State and Federal funding to various professional leagues to make the case of the disparity in allocations between professional codes.

This is some of the best basketball news I have ever heard.

Full story http://www.nbl.com.au/news/article/2012/april/basketball-questions-commonwealth-sports-funding/

Topic #28004 | Report this topic

skull  
Years ago

the historic lack of government funding for basketball
is exactly why she was hired....to officially expose it.

Reply #357357 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

You go girl! About time the truth comes out and basketball stands up to be counted...

The most participated junior sport in the country with the worst supported junior infrastructure of them all, why don't we start increasing the amount of basketball rings in local parks and gardens so all our kids can enjoy the sport at an earlier age?

Courts and stadiums are sometimes not available because schools (private or public) don't want to share their facilities to clubs or individuals at a reasonable rate. But, who has paid for these courts, I bet it was public funding from government that helped get them errected in the first place!

Well done Hon. Kristina Keneally MP, now don't let it go, keep going and let's make sure we don't just allow this initial cause to fade away as it has in the past...

Reply #357358 | Report this post

birdman  
Years ago

hey bear......ummmm...... basketball is not the most participated junior sport in the country.

Reply #357361 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

I'd have to disagree with the courts in parks thing. There are halfcourts in parks all over the place that never get used. Maybe it's because they are all about 10.5 feet off the ground to discourage dunking / potential litigation. There's only one court in my entire city out of perhaps a hundred that has a legal rim.

To be honest I'd rather see the bulk of this funding, at least in the interim, going to the NBL. Grassroots is important obviously, but when you have pro teams struggling to scratch together the cash for much needed venue upgrades and/or new venues altogether, that takes precedence in my opinion..

Reply #357366 | Report this post

Aussiebballer  
Years ago

Extra grassroots funding would be great, but some money to spend on stadiums would also be a big bonus.

The AFL and Soccer seem to be getting a lot of funding from Federal and State governments.

Some cash to update Adelaide Arena would be awesome.
The scoreboard is getting pretty embarassing.

Reply #357383 | Report this post

ANON12  
Years ago

Bear. What is needed in this state is Bssketball SA to receive funding (and not waste it) for the replacement and enlarging of current substandard stadiums (Hillcrest, Marion etc). Some of these stadiums are on council land, so negotiations may be required. Private school stadiums (e.g. PAC, St Peters) were built with school funds and funds raised from former students, so they don't have to share. Public school stadiums are generally sub standard and more often than not the courts are not regulation size and have minimal facilties. The only exception to this would be Pasadena. Wayville has (I believe) joint ownership with the Showgrounds.
Aussiebballer. The Adelaide Arena is privately owned so IMO funding should not be used on that facility (Eddie is arguing in court about who actually owns the building - him or the bank). I'm sure that a lot of people agree with you, but funding is really needed for NEW stadiums.

Reply #357390 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You really think this is going to do anything?

Seriously, it's blatantly obvious that the government give more money to football and AFL, that's as clear as a sunny day. Maybe they're putting more money into those two sports because those two codes have a competent organizational structure and are showing progression and a clear scope of potential. What did Christina Kinnealy do when she was Premier of NSW? She was a joke. So now the only thing BA have is a joke of a leader running a joke of a management team. No government's going to throw money at that. Sad thing for basketball fans is that this joke ain't no laughing matter.

Reply #357478 | Report this post

Snip  
Years ago

lol

Reply #357500 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

When Australian basketball advances beyond looking after friend of friends, children of ex-coaches and children of administrators it will have an opportunity to advance. Have a look at NITP and note how poorly it has served to develop players with potential.

Reply #357502 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

Do we really need more basketball stadia? I can agree that existing stadia need investment but I don't see a strong argument for building more - especially for NBL teams.

Basketball is not in the top 6 sports that Australians went to watch in 2009-10 (latest Australian Bureau of Statistics data had cricket ranked #6 at 4% of people (ABS, 4156.0.55.001 - Perspectives on Sport, June 2011). So there are not many people who stand to benefit (and probably not many votes too). In saying this, I note the top 6 sports are already pretty well catered for with government funding. I also note soccer is #5 at only 5%. Pretty topical given the issue that generated this post.

In terms of sport participation, Australians' participation in physical activity has been decreasing over the last few years. Personally, I see this as a combination of population ageing and competition from other leisure activities - watching sport rather than playing, internet based games and activities etc. Offsettign decreased participation rates has been increasing population. So, nett effect is more people involved in physical activity.

When you focus on organised sport (such as stadium-based sport) - participants in organised sport grew from ~4.4 million people to 4.55 million. Much of that growth - if not all - appears to have been in studio and gym based activities such as aerobics, weights, static walking, running and cycling. This is consistent with an ageing population.

My experience running recreation facilities through the 1990s was that participation in indoor court sports fell significantly in that decade. I don;t know if that has since recovered or even returned to the growth of the 1980s. (I haven't been involved since the early 2000s).

If I was a politician or a city planner being asked to invest in new basketball stadia, I'd be looking at these sorts of numbers. I'd also look at the massive increase in indoor court space due to the BER program and asking whether that is being adequately used. This approach led directly to education departments actively pursuing policies of increasing community use of school facilities in the 1980s.

Reply #357522 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

when they get their own back yard sorted out first, then people will sit up and take notice of whatever unfair treatment the game gets

Reply #357529 | Report this post

Latrentis  
Years ago

Totally agree with Anon regarding NITP. Many clubs are doing there own version of NITP now with better coaching staff. Gives the kids who aren't friends of friends, kids of ex players/coaches etc the opportunity to develop, plus doesn't have as high a price tag as NITP!

Reply #357530 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

There is another thread on this but I need to respond to #357478 comments.

Clearly you ain't following the news my friend. Buckley and his associates have been panned and slammed by almost everyone in football over the last two months, from the union, to the clubs, to ex players to ex administrators.

FFA has undergone three government instigated reviews in the last seven years, the last heavily critical of its organisational performance. If as BA has reported, they quietly got slipped 7.5 million to cover a financial "black hole" then ... well....

Not sure where you get the "competent organizational structure" bit from.... and of course both our men's and women's football teams are going to London yes? er.... no, that would again reflect well on FFA wouldn't it?

Secondly, if you know the recent history, Keneally inherited a labor government on life support, reeling from disaster after disaster and heading to the polls in the same way Bligh recently did in Queensland. I don't think she could have done much given the hand she was dealt but at least NSW Labor avoided the carnage that their Queensland counterparts did.

In that time the reckoning was Keneally performed well. She seems a realist, she showed herself in NSW not to be a puppet of the Labor factions, something many commentators remarked on both during her time and after as Premier. Perhaps, in a different time, she may have been an outstanding Premier, whether or not you like Labor politics, which I normally don't.

Reply #357548 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Actually you're the one who hasn't interpreted the news correctly HO. Clive Palmer is a big mouth who has been canning the FFA with every chance he can get. He brought the game into disrepute multiple times. At one stage he even commented that he didn't like the game and preferred rugby league. The only choice the FFA had was to revoke his license which they did. The media have criticised the FFA for revoking the Gold Coast from the A-League but you have to take into account the men trying to raise funds to keep the team alive said on public record that they believed Clive Palmer should still have a say in the organization and running of the club. Do you really believe that the FFA were going to allow that to happen? Of course not. Best course of action was to get out of the Gold Coast. The clubs have been supportive of the FFA in regards to the whole Palmer fiasco, don't know where you've read on the contrary. A few ex players have criticised the move into Western Sydney because they believe it's been done too fast. It's been a process that's been years in the making. Western Sydney Rovers never took off the ground but the blueprint was in place for something to happen. Removing Gold Coast from the league accelerated this process for sure but it's not as if they are going into uncharted waters. As Mark Bosnich put it, football for Western Sydney is like ice hockey for Canada. Footballers who recently have come out of Western Sydney include Harry Kewell, Tim Cahill, Mark Schwarzer, Brett Emerton and Lucas Neil. Makes sense to have an A-League team there when the area is producing such quality footballing talent. The only ex administrator to can the move is Archie Fraser. What a surprise, he is CEO of Football Australia which is owned by Clive Palmer. Sense a trend here?

BA's comments in regards to a black hole have no foundation to support themselves at the moment. It's an accusation with no substance, I pay no attention to that at all. The government was critical of the world cup bid, nothing more. The government is clearly on board with football and in particular the FFA, otherwise they wouldn't be handing out so much money to the governing body.

The olympic teams are made up of Under 23 year old players with (if my memory serves me right) 3 senior aged players. Only under 23 year old players can play in the qualifiers. So really that argument there has no standing. In the complete world rankings, Australia is the highest ranked footballing team in Asia and ranks 20th out of the 205 FIFA international teams in the world. The womens ranking is in the top 10 in the world.

I lived in Sydney when Keneally was in power. She was a bimbo then and is still a bimbo now, nothing has changed to disprove that.

Bottom line is that basketball has showed pretty much no growth of substance over the past few years. It hasn't been marketed properly, the quality of the game has declined in Australia because the sport isn't generating enough widespread interest. They couldn't even get a proper TV deal for the sport for crying out loud. It's a shambles. It's a shame because the sport could have actually a lot of potential but right now football has shown more growth both on the domestic and international stage. It is backed by rich moneymakers such as Frank Lowy and Nathan Tinkler. It's hard for basketball to even compete against that kind of power. They should try to tackle on an easier opponent sport like marbles.

Reply #357562 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Probably one of the worst posts ever seen on this forum. You didnt actually retort anything HO said. To pretend a sport held together by rich men's money is well administered sounds like a fan, not someone analysing the situation with any objectivity.

Reply #357565 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You can disagree with her views on basketball or politics but you can't with any seriousness call KK a bimbo. She's one of the more articulate pollies around and if you saw her on Planet America a few weeks ago you'd agree.

Reply #357572 | Report this post

Wildcat Fan  
Years ago

Probably the reason why basketball lags so far behind soccer is because they don't have the money or backing it needs to get it to where we all want it to be. Which is what KK is trying to get from the government, and also bring to light the disparity between the different sports.

Sure BA have made mistakes in the past, but the sport is rebuilding and growing, without the help of the government, and doing a pretty good job. So for anyone to call BA or the NBL incompetent is unfair.

Call the A-league incompetent instead. They get millions thrown at them, have live TV, yet their teams are all losing millions each year, and have now lost two teams in as many years, with likely more teams to fold in the future*. And soccer is the biggest game in the world. I would hate for them to try and run basketball - a much tougher sport to market without the government handouts.

*assuming these a-league clubs keep spending money the way do - some will fold.

Reply #357578 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

You are gold. Can you justify the criticism also layered on FFA by Schwabb (Union), Tinkler (clubs), Foster, or Benitez (the ex senior FFA executive) and other players? Or do you think the news was all about Palmer who I btw also think is a bit of a lunatic.

Do you have a response to the 3 government reviews in the last seven years? Do you have a response to the very critical review released last year? Do you have a response to the supposed 7.5 million just handed them on top of the 8 million for the new team? There is not doubt by the way about the 7.5 million, what is cloudy is what it was for.

Now I know you THINK there was only government criticism into the bid process, but you might want to read the Smith review, that is the most recent of them, released around november/december.

Here's a clue, government's don't instigate reviews if they are happy...

You are justifying not making the Olympics as ok for what reason? Because they are U23? here's another clue, they compete against other teams who are U23... you do understand that don't you?

For the women and men not to make the Olympics in such a heavily funded sport is a national sporting disgrace. This ain't Volleyball, who are not expected to make it, this is football, who are.

As you said, we are the highest ranking team in Asia, surely given that we can qualify for the Olympics out of Asia???

Reply #357791 | Report this post

Julian  
Years ago

Finally some progress. All football codes (not just the world game but Australian rules, rugby league, rugby union) have been rorting government funding for decades.

Bullets were finally killed off when their potential allocation from the state was stolen by a QLD Labor official and used on his local surburban rugby union club.

Reply #357812 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:36 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754