Tassieballer
Years ago

Patty Mills

In 11 minutes tonight Patty had 5 points, 3 rebounds and 4 TURNOVERS!
Will turnovers be a problem for his whole NBA career?

Topic #28034 | Report this topic

MW  
Years ago

i don't think turnovers will be a problem as much as his ball IQ. I guess it's all related.

IMO his biggest problem is he's not a legit point guard while a lil undersized as a combo. normally turnovers will get better as the players get more experience.

to me he'd be an eddie house at best

Reply #357802 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Actually coach POP is real happy with what he brings to the spurs, his role is a high risk energy guy that gets injected into the game when needed

sometimes pays off and sometimes doesn't

I'd say Patty will be learning lots from the spurs about team and individual defense and hopefully can do enough to get another go next season and do what gary neal has done.

Reply #357803 | Report this post

BALLER#3  
Years ago

I can see patty mills easily becoming a key sixth man for any team! 25 minutes off the bench bringing energy, and scoring. I can definitely see him playing in a similar way as jason terry!

Reply #357806 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So next season, its a 82 game schedule, is there going to be a topic about every second and stat he plays? I just wanted to heads up, so i can get mentally prepared to see his name pop up daily on this site... got to get off his nuts and let him breathe people!

He can play, and will stay in the NBA world now unless he has injuries to contend with. If Pop likes him even remotely, you can rest assured atleast 10 other coaches are taking notice. His play and fitness will be all the better with a preseason under his belt.

Reply #357807 | Report this post

Curt  
Years ago

Reply #357808 | Report this post

CurtLey  
Years ago

I think the fact he has more rebounds than assists this year is an issue

Reply #357809 | Report this post

CurtLey  
Years ago

I think the fact he has more rebounds than assists this year is an issue

Reply #357810 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

To one of the commenters above, Mills has a contract with the Spurs for next season, a player option for around $1 million.

Reply #357811 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

If he can have an Eddie House career i think anyone on this board would take that. I just dont get the knockers. He is in the damn NBA, better then anyone of here could do. I guess the opposite of that is the people that think he walks on water, but geez just enjoy what he is doing and what he is trying to do.

Reply #357815 | Report this post

benno  
Years ago

his been playing great so far, isn't he aloud to have one bad game?

Reply #357820 | Report this post

Bball Fan  
Years ago

What joshuapending said....

Reply #357824 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

well 1 thing I am noticing, is hes getting fairly consistant minutes....

Reply #357826 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Anon a few posts up said it well - popovich likes him enough to give him 2 years. Popovich kind of knows his stuff

Reply #357831 | Report this post

Shaqfu  
Years ago

Patty Mills been watching too many Jeremy Lin highlights with all those turnovers

Reply #357836 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Let me give some of you blokes a reality
Check:

Patty was not playing basketball ANYWHERE
Before the spurs signed him.

Head coach for the Boomers in the last year
of his contract and needs a "successful"
Olympics.

Head coach of boomers needs Patty Mills firing
before the Olympics and in good form.

Oh, fancy that the head ass. coach of the
San Antonio Spurs is....yep you guessed it.

Patty can def play, but ppl commenting on
Pop knowing what he is doing, look a little
closeer at the facts.

Patty can play a little,but this is easily Pop doing
Brett Brown a favour, if you think otherwise
you have no grasp on reality.

I still think he is a fringe nba player at best. Will never
be a 20 mpg player....

Reply #357862 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Not sure if you are trolling, but it's beyond ridiculous that Popovich would burn the back up PG spot to do Brett Brown a favour. Fact is they signed Patty when they could have gone after Derek Fisher.

This is the Spurs last title run. Popovich owes a lot more to Duncan and co to make it a good one. If Brett Brown said 'hey Pop - can we sign this guy so he can get playing time for my Olympic team' , Pop would sack him

Reply #357866 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

@Joshuapending

Peoples' criticism of Patty is the selfishness of his play and the inabillity get his teammates involved, it's a valid one, and has nothing to do with Tall Poppy Syndrome.

I for one wish him the best, but moreover wish he would develop into a more well-rounded player and develop a minimum set of point guard skills.

Please keep the Jason Terry comparisons to a minimum.

Reply #357867 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I think Patty can make a decent NBA career as an energy guy off the bench. Selfishly as a Boomers supporter, I think he would be better playing somewhere else as a starting PG and learning the craft at a lower level.

Of course, the best thing for his career ambitions is to stick it in the NBA and I hope he does well. Both sides of the discussion here are valid, it just depends on your starting point.

Reply #357868 | Report this post

Average OKKA  
Years ago

Spurs would not pay Derek Fisher what he got from OKL. Not many other options once TJ went down. I think anon has a valid point and I think BB would have pushed to have Patty signed, but THAT still doesn't mean the kid can't play.

It can be argued however that if BB wasn't an assistant with the Spurs that Patty would still be hanging about looking for work....

Reply #357873 | Report this post

JH5  
Years ago

FFS Mick, you've always been a Patty Hater! If Patty didn't have a minimum skill set at PG there is no way Popovich would have him play for the 'fundamentally sound' Spurs! It truly sickens me that people want to always take pot shots at Patty defencies. Patty is still a work in progress people! I dont think any Australian player who has made it to the NBA has been scrutinised as much as Patty. It makes me wonder if there is something more sinister in play when people go out of the way to bag Patty constantly?

Reply #357874 | Report this post

Latrentis  
Years ago

Popovich and Spurs organisation are very good at putting players on a roster and making it work. They don't have any superstars on their team yet they manage to notch up the wins every year and make playoffs.
For all the Patty haters, bet you can't stand the fact that he's playing in the NBA. He will only get better playing behind Parker and learning from veterans Duncan and Ginobili. Plus he should get some major minutes tonight as those 3 aren't playing.
Best of luck Patty.

Reply #357876 | Report this post

Bobby Tables  
Years ago

Reply #357877 | Report this post

Bobby Tables  
Years ago

Oh, and - LOL @ anyone who thinks Greg Popovich would play anyone as a 'favour' to anyone else. Pretty sure a guy who's coached 4 championship teams know how to use his players.

Reply #357879 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Way to play the race card under the table, JH5, you just lost all credibility.

Not a Patty hater at all, but I'm not going to evaluate him any differently to another NBA player just because he's an Aussie. Wish him the best of luck and hope he turns into the player we saw in his last few NBL games rather than the one from the first few.

Reply #357880 | Report this post

Andrew Bogut  
Years ago

"I dont think any Australian player who has made it to the NBA has been scrutinised as much as Patty"

You think?

Reply #357881 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Average OKKA - Fisher left significant dollars on the table last time he signed with the Lakers (Miami offered him more). If Spurs had wanted him over Patty, the $ would not have been the deciding factor.

Patty was the Spurs' first choice.

I'm not suggesting that the Brett Brown connection wasn't a factor in Patty signing with the Spurs. What I'm saying is that the concept of Brown wanting Patty there to benefit an Olympic campaign is completely absurd.

There is no way Popovich would have a bar of it.

Reply #357888 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mills needs to learn when to stop shooting! 1/5 from three today so far.

Reply #357890 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Surprise, surprise, another knocker.

Mills' 4/10 looks pretty good next to S.Jax's 2/13 don't you think? Plus Mills had 4 assists, 3 rebounds, a steel, only two turnovers. He hits one more three pointer and you would say that it is an excellent all-round game from him?

Spurs only brought their second unit to the game - no Duncan, Ginobili or Parker and were right in it until blowing it in the last two minutes.

Reply #357896 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Patty looked really good as a scorer in that first half, but did struggle to run the show, especially under fourth quarter pressure. There were some clear defensive lapses too.

That's just the reality for Patty at the moment, but he's in a good position to work on his weaknesses and capitalise on his strengths.

Reply #357897 | Report this post

Average OKKA  
Years ago

So what you're saying Doctor is Brett Brown wouldn't mind either way if Patty was playing anywhere or not leading up the the OLYS. RIGHT

Reply #357900 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well done to Patty though playing 24 min in his first career start.

Reply #357905 | Report this post

rohant16  
Years ago

You would think the Spurs would be pretty happy with that result. With young players like Blair and Leonard they're looking good for years to come.

Reply #357908 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Well done to Patty on his first NBA start! (In what - only his 4th game with the Spurs right?) Coach Popovich must have some faith in him to do that.

A pretty good statement by the Spurs despite missing their studs...always would have been better if they had of won...but a decent statement nontheless.

Patty will get better with time and experience - he had not played a game in around 2 months before joining the Spurs.

Reply #357912 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A Spurs fans take on Patty Mills from a Spurs forum (most of them agree with these thoughts)- "We're starting to learn more about Patrick Mills and what he brings to the team. The good: Defensively, he's better than advertised. He uses his speed to harass opponents and is able to stay in front of the ball even if he's pressuring full court. On offense, he's a fearless shooter, can score in a variety of ways and is a decent enough ball-handler. The bad: His defensive fundamentals are iffy and he doesn't guard pick-and-rolls well. On offense, he lacks many point guard skills. He doesn't have good court vision, isn't the most willing of passers, doesn't run the pick-and-roll effectively and he's not someone who can consistently create shots for others. Thankfully, when he plays next to Ginobili, most of his weaknesses will be covered and his strengths will be accentuated."

Reply #357914 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

That's spot on. The good is enough to get him a decent career if he keeps working on the bad, and that is good news. He may even get to the point where his minutes and scoring bursts are routine and dont warrant a new thread each game!!

Reply #357930 | Report this post

aussieboomers4eva  
Years ago

That may be true of his ability in Pick and Roll, but my impression is that when playing with the likes of LaMarcus Aldridge, David Andersen and Cam Tragardh that he is pretty good with the Pick and Pop. Anybody else agree, or am I way off?

Reply #357960 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Another crap game today.

Reply #358147 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

AB4Eva, from what I can tell his issue is once he gets deep off the pick and roll he struggles to see and make passes over defenders. When he makes his pass early after the screen he seems to make some nice reads.

Reply #358157 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Anon #358147, and yet, despite a poor shooting game, he had no turnovers, grabbed a couple of boards and assists along with a steel, scored 7 points, and whilst he was on court his team outscored the opposition.

But if it makes you feel superior, yes it was not his best game.

Reply #358167 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:44 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754