HO
Years ago

New A-League Controversy

Ok, so I really am only posting this to be a SA, but I just want to make sure Anon #357478 sees this...

http://www.theage.com.au/sport/soccer/tinkler-returns-jets-aleague-licence-20120410-1wlyd.html

More examples of the "competent organizational structure" and "showing progression" I presume?

Topic #28036 | Report this topic

paul  
Years ago

It's a pretty well run organisation HO, BA should definitely be more like them.

Reply #357885 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Now Paul, leave the sarcastic pithy comments to me eh?

Reply #357886 | Report this post

curtley  
Years ago

I think private ownership should be limited as much as possible even with Billionaires involved that should have a bottomless pit of cash and supposedly do it for the love of the sport.

With regards to the NBL, I think these guys like Tinkler and others should be able to 'sponsor' marquee players but that the club should be NBL owned and run.

Reply #357892 | Report this post

LMAO  
Years ago

How would the NBL own the teams?

If you are putting those sorts of amounts of dollars into a team, you would want them to be doing the right kind of marketing and promotions to get people to the games.

Reply #357893 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

The NBL should aspire to be absolutely nothing like the A-League and it's back room dealings and dodgy excuses.

The benchmark should be the AFL.

Something, though, that people forget, is that most AFL clubs and every NRL club would fold tomorrow if it weren't for the revenue their pokie machines bring in..

Reply #357898 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

Very true Mick! Most of NRL money comes from their clubs pokie machines/Leagues Club memberships.

Reply #357906 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

HSG the group run by Tinkler has just pulled the newcastle jets out of the A-league.

Reply #357909 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What's with rich fat cnuts and their sporting team toys.
They always want things to go their way and if things don't they threaten to take their bat and ball and go home.
I am happy to see that the NBL is now moving ahead in small steps building a solid foundation and ishouldld be proud that it relies less on rich dudes and pokies to get by than pretty much any of the more high profile team sports. (Cricket and Rugby excepted)

Reply #357929 | Report this post

Wildcat Fan  
Years ago

I guess its for situations like this that the NBL now has a 3 owner policy for each team, so if one owner pulls out, the club can continue.

It sucks for Newcastle Jets fans, and the same thing happened to the South Dragons. But at the end of the day, I have to laugh at the situation the A-League is currently in. If they had a clue, they might just refer to the NBL's history in order to avoid things like this. But I guess they are too full of themselves to even know about the NBL. They actually could learn a lot from basketball and how its run as they are making the same mistakes the NBL did 10 years ago.

Credit the NBL for getting rid of issues like this in the past. Not to say it wont happen in the future, but it seems the NBL is a lot more stable than their rival soccer league.

Reply #357935 | Report this post

CurtLey  
Years ago

Tinkler poured up to 12mil into the jets so I can half see how he's pissed off, especially given costs to play soccer socially are through the roof. Also the FFAs expenditure on the world cup bid are a worry.

Reply #357952 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

CurtLey you're post is exactly what's wrong with private ownership.

Tinkler chose to buy the licence. Tinkler chose to pour 12mil in. No one made him, and at no point was that money going in with a promise of some power or authority with the FFA. (Lowry already did that.)

For Tinkler or Clive to turn around now and say I spent the money give me power is plain stupid.

And Tinkler wouldn't give two hoots that prices have gone through the roof to play soccer socially. Give me a break!

Reply #357963 | Report this post

ringlord  
Years ago

The two tellystubbies Tinkler & Palmer infiltrated the A-League just to set it up for a downfall.Their only interest was to destroy the round ball game and to strengthen Rugby in the Northern states.I say good riddance to them ,bring on a western Sydney team & Canberra for next season.Hopefully a consortium can be set up to allow Newcastle Jets in for the future.

Reply #358199 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:33 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754