John
Years ago

What's happening with Marty?

I'm a casual NBL fan in Melbourne, but just wondering what's happening with the 36ers coach next year? Surely you guys arent bringing back Marty?
I thought for sure he'd be fired by now, to go down as one of the worst NBL coaches ever

Topic #28038 | Report this topic

lolly  
Years ago

6ers cant afford to pay out his contract so he is staying...

Reply #357915 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

was annoying to train under back in the day

Reply #357916 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

define "one of the worst NBL coaches ever"

Reply #357917 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm actually tired of reading about the 6'ers.

Seriously, they have been cellar dwellers these past few years so aren't worth all the continued threads and banter. I understand they have a heap of online fans but the 6'ers threads should be categorized to the 6'ers topic category. Most aren't.

We should be all talking about how fantastic Perth and NZ are and embracing this playoffs series coming up.

BTW: I follow the Kings :)

Reply #357924 | Report this post

ANON12  
Years ago

Jack Toft - how do YOU define "one of the worst coaches ever"? If you use a win/loss record then Marty is very average. Most teams with an underperforming coach such as Marty would get rid of him, but as we know, the "rocket scientists" at SOS signed an inexperienced "NBL" coach to a 3 year contract and now can't afford to pay him out. Unless something dramatic happens, particularly in Marty's coaching style, then the 36ers AND THEIR LONG SUFFERING FANS can look forward to another losing year. Surely THREE YEARS with a negative result would then rate Marty as "one of the worst coaches ever"?

Reply #357926 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"rocket scientists" that saved the 6ers from dying.

Reply #357939 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

ANON12, it's pretty easy. At the start of the season, the SOS would have set performance targets, just like any employer/manager does to their employees. These performance targets should be in line with the business plan and of course they should be SMART (sincere, measurable, accurate, reliable and timely) targets. Like any business, I would expect that one a year a performance appraisal be made against those targets.

So, what would I see as defining "one of the worst NBL coaches ever". I would say that one needs to look at what SMART targets can be established.

To start of with, win-loss ratio is important, but is more of an outcome than a target. It's like a business saying "we will aim for 10 LTI's this year" OK, lets have 10 volunteers to get injured and then we have achieved that goal.

Certainly when looking at performance, there are a number of things to consider and businesses often do a 360 degree review to get a full appreciation of how someone is going. At the end of the day, anyone's performance be it from sweeping floors to governing this great sandy land is essentially "plan, do, check, act" (PDCA)
Plan: Plan the delivery of the project or execution of the plan
Do: Actually delivery the planned activities
Check: How is the plan tracking? Is it getting implemented as expected?
Act: Make corrective actions to things in the plan that aren't working.

The P part of the cycle appears to be done well, the D part of the cycle is not bad, but I think if you ask fans where Marty appears to be falling down, the most common response would be somewhere in the C or the A part of the cycle.

If Marty's sole performance objective was "Make Finals", then he has failed dismally. I don't think that was his only business plan objective. However, do we see Marty smoking dope or playing up around town? No.

Reply #357944 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't think giving the club it's second wooden spoon in three seasons would've been a target.

Reply #357945 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The 6'ers have been stinking up the gym for years. Clark is a joke and his roster is a joke too.

Reply #357953 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Anonymous Reply #357924
I somewhat agree with you that the 36ers in the last few years have not been worth all the comments and posts made about them but in case you haven't noticed, this is a site dedicated mainly to the 36ers. If you are tired of reading about them, then may I suggest that this is not the site you should be visiting. If you want talk about Perth and NZ in the finals, then go to www.nbl.com.au.

Jack Toft, why wouldn't Marty's sole performance objective be "make finals"? If you are selling a product that needs to be attractive so you can sell it in good numbers for the business to succeed, then your objectives need to be set to satisfy your customers' needs. I would agree that it would not have been the objective in the first year, but it should ultimately lead to that by the end of his 3 year contract. At the end of the 2nd year, there is nothing to suggest that it would. You might argue that the 3rd year hasn't started and its early days as we do not know yet the makeup of the team, but I don't think the objective from the beginning would have been to change half the team each year to reach that goal. I would think that the objective was to 'make finals" with developing all your players to fill that objective by 3 year's end.

Reply #357965 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

EC, you would expect a performance outcome like that somewhere in the plans and objectives !

Reply #357970 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Clarke is shocking, so is that rat he calls an assistant, but like some had said, the club has no funds, so unless he volunteers to quit, and save any self respect at the coaching level he has left, he will be back for a 3rd time. I think the SOS really felt he was going to be the next Bevo, and theyd hit a home run. They were sadly very wrong. He would have to win the title for a 4th year.

Reply #357973 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

where has it been reported that SOS cant afford to pay out Marty's contract? Thats just pure speculation.
I think Marty is being kept on as SOS want to honour his contract and he is the key player in making the signings (2 Marquee Aussies) they want.

Everyone on here keeps putting everything down to money and its all speculative rubbish.

Reply #357987 | Report this post

bretts the man  
Years ago

Seriously if it is not money then what is it that keeps him in role .
No point talking about getting marque players in because that no way our roster player wise was any where near worst in league and now we have another wooden spoon .
He has run club to bottom and run season ticket supporters out of stadium .

Reply #358428 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Back for the 3rd season, and good players from other NBL clubs want to play for the 6ers already.

Reply #358456 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:51 pm, Tue 23 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754