forcey
Years ago

Player Spotlight: Mitch Creek

For any 36ers fans looking for stuff to read over the offseason I'll be keeping my blog updated semi-regularly. I'm doing an ongoing series reviewing each player from this year, today's is on Mitch Creek

http://www.36reasons.net/2012/04/player-spotlight-mitch-creek.html

Topic #28051 | Report this topic

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

Let's hope we can keep Creek, he'd be one of the most sort after free agents on the market!

Word is both Melb teams are keen to get a closer look at him.....(He won't head to the Tigers as they are a rabble...but it could still push up his price)

Reply #357983 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

IMO he needs to be playing 3, his long shot is not good enough to be at 2.

So playing the same position as Coach Marty's number 1 is not going to work in his favor.

New Melbourne team, if it happens, would be a perfect fit for him and if he wants to develop it should be a no brainer.

Reply #357993 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

His performance at the junior WCs was very similar to Sam Mackinnon's, so he has a huge upside if he can at least develop a mid-range pull-up game.

Defensively he is already very good, and I would like to see him attack the boards harder like Sammy Mack did. The league is taller and more athletic than when Sammy started but still, Creek has the tools to pull in more boards than he does.

Reply #358000 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Role player at NBL level and couldn't care less if he's re-signed or not. You would think he would attract some attention from the Melbourne teams being from Victoria.

Reply #358045 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

Brett Maher was a role player in the NBL at the same age. Lets not lose sight of the fact is bearly an adult.

The next 3 years will be critical to Mitch's development. FWIW I would hope he spends them in a sixer's uniform so long as he remembers he is still a work in progress.

Reply #358046 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

He is a work in progress but he really is the best under 20 player in the country!

If the interest from Melbourne is a big as being tlaked about they will be offering 3 years with increases in salary over the 3 years.

As they are a fresh slate it means they have great felxibility, so they can focus on 1 or 2 youngish Victorian guys to build around with 2 or 3 year deals.

Personally i'd love to just give him more free rein to play and learn from his mistakes as in 2 years he'll be the best SF in the league!

Reply #358047 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

after Abercrombie.

Reply #358048 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

...who is from a different country... and who is 24.

Reply #358052 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

but is still a SF and is in the same league. You obviously didnt read TW's last line.

Reply #358061 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tiger watcher, are the Melbourne teams offering him big minutes though?
He needs to play big minutes to reach his potential

Reply #358072 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

He has more coordination than Abercrombie. If he stays in Adelaide his outside shot will improve and then hopefully that will open him up for a better slashing role without the current step off defence and under cutting screens.

Reply #358090 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Was Creek just compared to Maher and Mackinnon??

How quickly we forget.

Even at similar ages no comparison.

Think about what even a very young Sam Mackinnon did against some very good 36ers teams in a very strong NBL.

Compare those teams that Maher and Mackinnon played against compared to today's NBL.

Creek is massively overrated. Couldn't even produce in a wooden spoon team.

Reply #358100 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He has a looooooooooooong way to go, you cant compare him to Abercrombie, sam mack & maher? Abercrombie is a star that performs game in, game out in a playoff team. Mitch has got the potential to be a great player but I dont see it happening, he plays with no real heart and doesnt recognise the things he needs to do to help his side win....eg: 36ers pathetic season. If he starts being a good player and stops thinking he is then he will be ok. you can see it in his body language on court. but I guess it comes with age

Reply #358104 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's just the usual suspects pumping him up. The guy is what 20 yo? He's not 14, FFS. Even putting him in the same sentence with Sammy Mac is insulting. MacKinnon was one of the top 10-15 players to ever play in the NBL, Creek is a scrub doing jack on the worst team in the league.

Reply #358110 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Sam Mackinnon at junior WCs as 19yo - 13p, 8r, 3a, 2s, 3to.

Mitch Creek at junior WCs as 19yo - 14p, 7r, 2a, 2s, 2to.

Yep, definitely cant compare the two!

Reply #358114 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

How many other 19y.o players are there in the NBL that can hold there own???

Yes he has areas of his game to work on but every coach in the league would love to have him.

If he re-signs or moves on i think he is only 2 years away from bring at least what abercrombie is now if not better.

Reply #358123 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Here , 'Stevie's' gotta play 30mins and Creek 15.

Reply #358125 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hey Paul,

Junior WC stats?

How about NBL stats re Creek v Mackinnon's second NBL seasons?

Creek (2012)

5.4ppg, 3rpg and 1.2 apg. 44% from the floor, 55% from free throw line.

Team success: wooden spoon

Mackinnon (1995)

12.6ppg, 7rpg, 4.3apg, 2spg, 1.3bpg. 59% from the floor, 56% from free throw line.

Team success: Semi-finals

Also, it is important to note that Mackinnon's output in 1995 was more than double that in 1994 demonstrating great immediate improvement. From the age of 19 he was clearly a franchise type player and an Olympian in 1996.

Creek's output this season is worse than that of last year. He is a long, long way off from being a Boomer and as the post above, the NBL was far stronger in 1995 than it is in 2012.

Even if Creek were averaging 13ppg, 7rpg and 4apg now, I still wouldn't put such numbers in the same ball park as Mackinnon in 1995 because of the state of the league.

I'm not saying that Creek is a chump but comparing him to Sam Mackinnon is as close as Harold Miner to Michael Jordan.

The only argument that can be made in Creek's favour is that he did not receive the same opportunity in his second season than say Mackinnon did.

Having watched most of Adelaide's games I can't say that he deserved more opportunity. If you can't get minutes as a developing player in a wooden spoon team ahead of players such as Croswell, Weigh, Bartlett, Herbert, Ng etc it either says that Creek is no Mackinnon or Clarke has no idea what he is doing and can't develop a young player for crap.

I don't see how you can have it both ways (ie Creek = Mackinnon and Clarke is a good coach, in particular with respect to developing young players).

Reply #358133 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

You claim Mackinnon was far better than Creek because - immediately after the world tournament they performed at a similar level at - Mackinnon put up far superior numbers in the "far stronger" NBL.

Either Mackinnon made unbelievable improvements straight after the WCs (that werent reflected by his similar numbers at the youth WCs in 97), or perhaps there is something wrong with the assumptions you are making.

Reply #358134 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Did anyone stop and think that the players surrounding Mackinnon made him a better player and fast tracked his development that way?

I know when I play Ball if you have good players around you your standard and stats are better, when you have bad or not as competent players around you your standard drops.

Given that the 6ers are the worst team in the league the last 2 years of which this season was really Mitch's first full season I would say that the team around him isnt really helping his development both at training and on game nights.

I think you have to look at the potential and underlying talent and not really worry about comparing him to this person and that person, he is Mitch Creek, no one else. He definitely has the talent and will be a future star, it may just take a little longer than Mackinnon to reach those standards. Abercrombie from memory has only really made his mark in the last 2 years so I think everyone is being a bit hard on Mitch.

Reply #358165 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Further on Abercrombie, before his time at the Breakers, he was actually pushed out of his scholarship by his college team. They essentially said that they weren't going to play him at all, so he might as well leave.

Now he's one of the best players in the NBL, represents his country and could play in Europe in the right opportunity.

Reply #358169 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Paul, what assumptions are made that are incorrect?

You brought up junior WC stats to say they are similar and I brought up NBL stats to say they are not.

I have also qualified my argument by stating my opinion that the NBL was a higher quality league in the late 90s than now. That is not an assumption but an opinion.

A comparison of the 36ers' rosters in 1998 versus 2012 supports my opinion.

I don't see the significance of the junior WC stats in support of any argument that Creek and Mackinnon are on the same path.

What age groups were both players in when achieving those stats you refer to? Who were their team mates?

My understanding is that Mackinnon was a member of the Australian U23 team in 1997 (as a 20 year old). He had already won a NBL championship and was an Olympian by the time of the U23 gold medal.

Anstey, Dwight, Trahair, Drmic, Nielsen were all members of this team. If Mackinnon didn't put up 30 it was because the team was stacked. From memory, the team was so good that Saville didn't make it. Some 15 years later even Saville on his last legs is still a more valuable player than Creek.

I'm not 100 percent but aren't those stats you posted re Creek from his performance at the U19 world championship in 2011?

Paul, I am confused about your comment about Mackinnon making unbelievable improvement as they performed at a similar level in the respective World Championships. If we are talking about Mackinnon in 1997 and Creek in 2011 then the stats i referred to with respect to Mackinnon of 13ppg, 7rpg and 4apg were in 1995, two years prior to the 1997 junior world championships.

Tornado, I agree with your point that good players around you can help you. However, this doesn't change my opinion that it is a huge stretch to compare Creek to Mackinnon. Mackinnon put up good numbers wherever he played including internationally. He was never a member of a wooden spoon team and in my opinion that was because he was a gun who would never allow his team to come last.

I would love nothing more than to be proven wrong and for Creek to have a career as accomplished as Mackinnon. However, at this stage he is more Jason Williams than Mackinnon (ie athletic back up swingman without a consistent enough shot to become a reliable starter).

2002 represented pretty much Jason Williams second season with the 36ers where he was actually in the rotation (as opposed to development player/12th man). In that season he averaged 7ppg, 2rpg and 2apg on a championship winning team. Numbers similar to what Creek put up last season for the 36ers.

Reply #358175 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Your comparison of the 36ers' roster in 1998 to 2012 to back up your case is a poor one, as you are comparing the championship team with the wooden spooner.

My stats are from the 95 Junior WCs for Mackinnon and 2011 for Creek. Mackinnon's stats in 95 and again in 97 at the Youth WCs (U23) were very similar to Creek's in 2011.

Yet you chose to use Mackinnon's NBL numbers at the same age to make a case that he was a better player than Creek at the same age, without making any attempt to address the similarity in performance on the junior world stage, where both were considered elite.

To me it speaks more about the changes in the NBL from 1996 to 2012, given the level of competition internationally is unlikely to have taken a significant drop, especially when you consider the increase in participation and investment (particularly in Europe) in basketball in that time.

Reply #358179 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Last person I would compare Creek to in NBL terms is Jason Williams, for the following reason: Williams was a shaky player even at the end of his career. From his first game, Creek showed that he has that killer instinct (steal and huge dunk). I also think he shows more leadership than half the (older) team around him.

Obviously a reliable shot is still (hopefully) to come.

I think there are going to be flaws in any comparison, FWIW.

Reply #358181 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thanks Paul, for clarifying re 1995 WC (Mackinnon) v. 2011 WC (Creek).

The 1998 36ers v 2012 36ers was more an example in support of my argument as to the talent level of the league. Not really on point but I'd say the 98 36ers would smash the 2012 Breakers and Wildcats as well. Similarly the 98 Magic, Tigers, Wildcats, etc, etc would do well against any of the 2012 teams. The point was merely that I believe there is no merit in any argument that Creek's numbers are comparable to Mackinnon because he is forced to play in a much higher standard league.

I thought I did address the similar junior WC stats arguments in detail. What were Michael Jordan's international stats versus that of Andrew Gaze? What does relying on such stats achieve in an argument of Gaze v. Jordan?

I did not watch either Mackinnon play in the 95 junior world champs or Creek in the 2011 junior world champs. I can only comment on what i have seen at NBL level. What I have seen indicates there is no comparison. If you are of the opinion that they are comparable then good luck to you. I have to confess that I consider my opinion conservative because I judge 36ers players through rose coloured glasses versus the hatred I had for players coached by Goorjian.

Isaac, Creek is a different player to Jason Williams. Williams was a back up PG in 2002. I was making the point that if Paul wants to bring up junior world champs stats in support of an argument that Creek is comparable to Mackinnon then I can bring up stats that show Creek is comparable to Jason Williams.

Comparing players from different eras is one of the joys of sport. This thread has got me reminiscing about how Trahair and Drmic were the "next" Andrew Gaze.

For what it is worth, I rated Cattalini in his prime over Mackinnon. Don't get me started re Mackinnon's Boomers stats versus Cattalini's Boomers stats.

Gee how I miss those days of the 98 36ers v. Magic and 99 36ers v. Titans.

Reply #358184 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well done, anon.

Anyone comparing Creek to MacKinnon is either pushing an agenda or needs their head read.

Reply #358191 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

The two of them performed very similarly against the world's best juniors, that makes them instantly comparable. Assuming the NBL was stronger in 1996 than 2012 and then basing your case around that is a poor argument.

You have consistently omitted to address these two points.

Reply #358198 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The only comparison between them is they are/were both pro basketballers around the same height. Go and get Sammy Mac's stats from his 2nd NBL season (back when the league was stronger too) and knock yourself out. No one who's being serious would compare the two.

Stop being an idiot.

Reply #358200 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Original anon, I think one reason they're compared is that both are athletic SF-types who can play defense. One developed his shot later in his career (from my memory of him) while the other still may do so.

Reply #358201 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Or, the comparison could be they were star small forwards for Australia at junior WCs? Are you making a case that the level of basketball around the world has dropped since 1995?

Reply #358205 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Paul, so you don't get confused, the last two anon posts are not the same one you were originally arguing with.

Reply #358209 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Creek is keen to stay and i think he will. He just needs more court time and the coach to let him play instinctively.

Reply #358240 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thanks Isaac.

I am the original anon that was arguing with Paul.

Paul, a few questions for you?

1. Are you merely saying that both Mackinnon and Creek had similar stats in a U19 tournament or are you actually of the opinion after watching and scouting both Mackinnon and Creek that Creek is comparable?

2. Do you not agree that the NBL was stronger in 1996 than 2012?

3. How do you say that stats in an u19 tournament 16 years apart make two players "instantly comparable"? I thought my Michael Jordan v. Andrew Gase example of scoring in Olympic competition made my point clear.

4. If Creek is comparable to Mackinon why was he anchored to the bench of the worst 36ers team of all time?

To answer your questions, I have not based any argument that Mackinnon is far superior to Creek on an assumption the NBL was better in 1996 than 2012.

I stated that after watching Mackinnon on a huge number of occasions and Creek on a weekly basis (including at ABL level) the last two years they are as close as Daly is to Maher. Has nothing to do with stats or comparing eras.

My scouting report is that Mackinnon was stronger, quicker, more explosive, a better leader, smarter, better defender (both man to man and helping from weak side), better shooter, better offensive awareness, better ball handler (was one of Australia's few Point Forwards) and most importantly a much, much better passer than Creek. Mackinnon's ability to create and make the smart pass was his best attribute in my opinion. Could dominate a game like Darnell with 6 points for the game. My above opinion is not clouded by being a Mackinnon fan. The contrary. I just respected his game.

Lastly, you asked whether I was arguing that the level of basketball around the world has dropped since 1995? Not at all. Why would I need to do that in support of an argument that Creek is no Mackinnon. The challenge for Creek this off season is to get his jump shot to a point where comparisons with Warrick Giddey don't become the norm.

I hope Creek can become a good NBL player but I don't agree his ceiling is anywhere close to Mackinnon. That is not an insult. Mackinnon is one of the best Australian Small Forwards of all time.

Reply #358245 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Creek needs to go to the gong to replace soup

A year in that system would do him wonders

Reply #358512 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anchored to the bench? I remember seeing him in the starting lineup on quite a few occasions this season...
I agree largely with the rest of your post, but that line wasn't necessary or even remotely accurate.
For his age, Creek is easily one of the most credentialed player in the league. Has plenty of deficiencies, but has shown enough to suggest he should develop into a very handy NBL player (if he stays here).

Reply #358530 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Sorry anon, I missed those questions last week.

1 I think they have similar games. What you write about Mackinnon is true, but of his whole career. At age 20 he still had a lot of holes in his game, just as Creek does.

Neither could shoot, both were a bit shaky with their ballhandling, both were susceptible in pressure situations. They could both defend very well though and board well. I think Mackinnon was a better rebounder, but he entered a league that was shorter, less athletic and less mobile in the frontcourt.

(I have actually done the sums on height and the league is taller now, and McLeod agrees re athleticism: http://www.nbl.com.au/news/article/2012/january/the-question-big-men/).

2 No, the majority of players in the league at the time where from pre-participation boom times, when there were a lot less people playing basketball and lot less resources put into development, meaning there was a smaller pool to chose from.

That meant there wasnt great depth of talent (bench strength) in 1996, and there also wasnt a lot of top end Australian talent (just like now), as shown by the small rotations the Boomers ran with before 2000.

For me the league reached its first peak in 2000-2002 (give or take) when the players from the first wave of the boom (Mackinnon and co) reached 23-25 and started to mature as Gibson, Abercrombie, Khazzouh etc have recently.

3 Gaze and Jordan were in very different situations. Jordan was playing for the most talented team with heaps of other options. Gaze was playing for an underdog where he was on of two or the only genuine scoring threat. They also have different styles of games and Gaze was far more familiar with the international game.

Mackinnon and Creek were both the best or second best players for a team that performed similarly (though the 95 team won the important close ones going 7-1 to 2011's 6-3), and played similar roles as defenders, penetrators and rebounders.

4 Good question. There is no doubt his athleticism isnt a revelation like Mackinnon's was at the time, and I think that is the biggest factor. Sam also played for one of the best teams in a good system, I am sure Creek would have performed better if he was playing for the Wildcats.

It's also possible that Creek is taking longer to adjust to the pro game, while it is certain teams now scout better due to technology that wasnt available in the 90s, and Mitch's weaknesses are exposed more than Sam's were.

Reply #358536 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Creek needs to go to the gong to replace soup

A year in that system would do him wonders
I do agree with that. Could really suit them.

Reply #358601 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

Creek is staying in Adelaide for next season!!

Reply #358610 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

Also i'll know more shortly but they look like they have verbally agreed terms with the other exciting signing! I'll confirm mre shortly once i speak with said player tonight.

Reply #358611 | Report this post

MK  
Years ago

I'm guessing the 'said' player is from Tigers?

Reply #358651 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

MK, I don't think it is. How many exciting signings could there be from the Tigers? Would you get excited about either import? Doubt it*. Would they go for Tragardh when we have Johnson? Who does that leave that would fit (e.g., not Walker or Rush) and be exciting (no one)?

* Personally, I wouldn't cry about Dorsey on a one year deal (motivation to play well), with Melbourne paying the bulk of it, if the surplus money meant grabbing a stud elsewhere. Not a preferred scenario though.

Reply #358658 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I hope its a real stud Aussie signing, none of the Tigers fit that description IMO.

Very keen to find out who it is, and if its as good a get as TW is saying then we all should have something to look forward to. And congrats to the coaches and management, but have to see who it is before we get too carried away.

Who are peoples guesses Nielsen, Wortho?

I dont think TW has let us down yet so heres hoping they are right again.

Reply #358660 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:48 pm, Tue 23 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754