Jack Toft
Years ago

R2 ABL Action

Smells a bit like rivalry round this week. What a great way to get everyone fired up after Easter. It'll be 100 years since the Titanic hit an iceberg so find a lifeboat because there’s a few teams heading for some icebergs and the only difference between some teams and the Titanic is the Titanic had a band. And just as people wear rabbit ears during easter and reindeer horns at Christmas time, BSA have apparently asked all bench officials to wear White Star pursor’s hats to get into the Titanic spirit.

North-Norwood @ Hillcrest
Women: Team Mansfield couldn’t overcome a determined Tigers team last round and the Flames revealed a huge achilles heal against the Lions with only poor shooting from the Lionesses gifting them the game. Norwood should be lightning against the Wockets this round. No soup for the North girls this round.
Men: I’m tipping the team starting with Nor. North men faced little resistance last round but will find a more difficult assignment this week. Are Norwood going back to the future? Is that #24 the real Brad Davidson? I know jersey 14 has been taken, but when picking his jersey number did he have to use his Wii-fit age? Norf to cruise into open waters.

South-Southern @ Marion
Women: With both teams in the icey water, who will be the first to the lifejacket? Following the Panthers this season could be like a Mumbai taxi ride. They host Southern who are by all accounts the youngest team, and let’s face it, when you’re young you have the motivation to do anything you like. Southern should swim to the lifejacket first.
Men: South men are delicately navigating their way at the moment with Home & Away writers watching carefully for plot ideas. Could be a chance for both teams to score a win, so this will be a tightly fought contest. Good players will stand out like Schensh at a dwarf’s convention. South didn’t play badly last week, but might be gifted a spot in a lifeboat with Southern looking to stay in the water without life jackets.

West-Woodville @ Port
Women: Near, far, whereever they are, West will be shooting the lights out tonight and should be all over Woodies this game. The Woodies girls will be looking in the stands for a Jack Dawson to offer his jacket for warmth tonight, but alas Mr Dawson is on the upper decks.
Men: The unveiling of the 1982 NBL Flag to celebrate 30 years might be inspiration enough to spur the Bearcats to victory. Apparently they are hunting for their old NBL licence, just as Al Green is hunting for his shorts from 1982. Woodville to be shovelling coal for the boilers while Westies dance a jig.

Centrals-Mavs @ Starplex
Women: Lionesses to have this one wrapped up by quarter time. Who could have said that 2 years ago? When was the last time the Lionesses cleared their bench and let their young Lionesses run free? Tess Madgen to offer significant resistance, but to quote Dr Who "resistance is useless"
Men: Lions had more shots on goal than Norwood last week and you need to make 'em count if you want to win! Mavs faced one of the grand finalists last round and while it seems they didn’t play badly, they fell in the last quarter. With all these playing coaches at the moment, how long before Scotty suit up? Lions by about 2 but might need the Blue Army to push them out of the way of icebergs.

Eagles-Sabres @ Wayville
Ah, a battle worthy of the first classes. Polish up your monocle and stroll onto the boat deck for some entertainment. After the game, gentlemen are invited to the bar to enjoy brandy and cigars.
Women: Forestville sent an early warning to other teams with a huge shot across the Mav’s deck. Sturt shooting well saw them pip West, but when was the last time any Sturt team shot poorly? Always a good tight game when these teams meet, usually down to the last possession. Sturt may get up this time, but Forestville and titles just go together like Don Dunstan and pink safari suits.
Men: The obvious GOTR. Eagles were untroubled in R1 and Sturt played 3 great quarters then one shocker. The Rash was quiet due to the Brads, but still collected 13 rebounds. It’s great to see Majok “Brad” Deng collect a double double, which should send a shiver down the backs of opposition coaches. The Toorak Tractors off to a bad start and should be 0-2 after tonight, could they get to 0-5? All Eagles players have been requested to change their name to Brad by deed poll.

Topic #28060 | Report this topic

lion Roar  
Years ago

nice work Jack, thanks for my weekly entertainment!

Reply #358139 | Report this post

Officiating this week will have a few rookie guys because there are 10 of the highest ranked umpires not available due to nationals & a party.

good chance for some others to finaly get the chance they deserve imo

Reply #358168 | Report this post

Vodka 94  
Years ago

thanks Neal

Reply #358180 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

and a party

a party with refs going to it wouldnt be worth going

Reply #358182 | Report this post

Rocket  
Years ago

Nice work, Jack.

Some nice similes... you should be teaching English, although I am not sure too many students would know who Don Dunstan was, let alone the safari suit giggle.

Reply #358187 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Don Dunstan the great man himself! They bloody well should know who he is.

Reply #358206 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Politicians these days are beige compared to Don Dunstan.

I guess a party of refs could be an interesting party to be a fly on the wall at.

Reply #358215 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I would my child be taught about Playford than Dunstan

Reply #358220 | Report this post

nope  
Years ago

Neal or Neil?
Either way, I reckon only a couple of ref's are going to the party so it's not exactly what you would call a ref party.

Saying that this causes a depth problem is a cop out for administration who are lazy and do not develop umpires

Reply #358227 | Report this post

Chuck  
Years ago

Good point 'Nope'

Reply #358231 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So will this be loss number 16 on the trot for Southern Men?

At what point do you say the current set up has not worked.

Reply #358236 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nope, chuck,So refs arent allowed to spend time with their families on a Saturday night for a function? Can't be human beings like the rest of you? Can't win when they go and ref a game and then on the other hand they put their family first and people like you are the first to abuse them because they aren't there to ref a game.

Some do actually have lives outside of basketball.

5 first choice referees are also going to nationals, it isn't going to harm the game for one round, this is when the young guys & girls get their opportunity to prove they belong.

Reply #358237 | Report this post

How long  
Years ago

How many years do you give a coach to turn around program??

Reply #358243 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^ same could be said about many clubs over the years.

Reply #358244 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

We are still suffering from the Playford years today, 27 years of wasted time.

Plus he couldn't win elections fairly he needed a rorted electoral system.

Reply #358246 | Report this post

Nope  
Years ago

You didn't read my post.
I am supportive of a couple of senior umpires having a life outside basketball but critical of the association admin not commiting money in to developing umpires over the years so the cabl is not so reliant on a handful of committed officials.

Reply #358248 | Report this post

TC  
Years ago

Looking at Roster all games have one experienced Ref that has been around a while apart from the Central v Eastern Mens game.

You take 3 of last years 4 Grand Final Referees and all bar one or two of the National League refs and it would leave any competition thin on experience.

Looks like they have dragged a couple out for the first time in a couple years to cover spots and giving a couple guys there first games.

Can't really blame Admin for lack of depth when atleast 8-10 Senior Refs are unavailable. You can have a crack at the Admin for solos on Fridays and Wednesdays.

Reply #358253 | Report this post

JJ  
Years ago

I hear Mildura are looking at joining the ABL next season- has anyone heard the same???

Reply #358275 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tigers will have a new coach next year!!

Reply #358281 | Report this post

Just me  
Years ago

TC... How long is 'a while'??

Just had a look and fairly sure one of those guys on the staplex game did finals last year. Probably about the best you could do with the number of outs and still have all games looked after up to standard. Only time will tell!

Reply #358287 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I dont go to the basketball to watch the refs. Can we talk about the players - pehaps people's views after one game if teams have benefited or not with roster changes

Reply #358318 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon 8281

Tigers would want to make sure they get a new coach for the Men otherwise all of their promising juniors will leave!

Remember he is on a hot streak - 15 losses on the trot

Reply #358324 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

The promising juniors who signed agreements to stay? ;)

Reply #358327 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

This week might be a shock for Norwood fans not at the game, they'll be able to follow their team on live stats.

Reply #358429 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

I believe that if the promising juniors are under 18 and parent/guardian has not sighted the agreement that said agreement is null and void also could cop a fine for parent/guardian not sighting and signing

Reply #358433 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jack you may have to read some form guides in future rather than rehash old lines from the tonight shows. Entertaining they are , informative not.

Reply #358450 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Warriors women beat west by nine who would have thought.

Reply #358453 | Report this post

Wam Soosnam  
Years ago

Can someone get live stats score that are not up.

South v Southern

Sturt Forrestville?

Reply #358458 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

south will have a new coach next year

Reply #358464 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Easy wins to Eagles over Sturt in both men and women.

Reply #358465 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Girls coach should stop umpiring the game and actually do some coaching!
Men's team are a joke how can you let a player score 47 points and continue to let him have open looks

Reply #358466 | Report this post

Shotclock  
Years ago

West men 73-66 against Warriors

Reply #358468 | Report this post

Import  
Years ago

Millard didn't play for North again...Anyone know why not..

Reply #358476 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

I let you in on a little secret, these reviews are not meant to be informative. If you want information and you want the ins and outs, then read the BSA review.

Reply #358478 | Report this post

charon  
Years ago

North 105 Norwood 60. North are very good, but are Norwood also that bad? 45 point margin is a huge win!

Reply #358481 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Is Tyler Tanis Tigers import? Great effort to get 47

Reply #358485 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Norwood will not be as good without Cooper in the middle.

Reply #358486 | Report this post

How long  
Years ago

Tanis is the American at Southern

Reply #358490 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Tanis is also the home the the Ark, according to Indiana Jones.

Reply #358494 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

get some sleep jack

Reply #358497 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

umpiring in souths womens game was a joke! Not taking anything away from southern win, but the inconsistancy was terrible. Both coaches at times were left wondering..

Reply #358518 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

466 maybe just worry about your club... you clearly have no idea!!

Reply #358519 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

went to a couple of games on the weekend and wittnesssed some very frustrated coaches due to the very inconsistant umpiring.
And to be honest, I am a supporter of one of the winning teams, and thought the refs were terrible.

Reply #358551 | Report this post

eagles nest  
Years ago

WHEN WAS LAST TIME WOODIES ABL WOMEN BEAT WEST ?

Reply #358554 | Report this post

wam soosnam  
Years ago

maybe the first time since the watts girls played for woodville?

Reply #358556 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

its not that the warriors women have gotten that much better, its the fact that other teams are much below par than usual.
The competion has gone from bad to worse in regards to the quality available out there. Disappointing to say the least.

Reply #358580 | Report this post

porksnotfattening  
Years ago

I thought posters were complaining about how many WNBL players Norwood have to strengthen them, how Centrals have added numbers to shed the easy beat tag and how Forestville have their giant to come back into an already winning side.
To say the competition has gone from bad to worse is to totally misinterpret what competition is. Competition is having close fought games every week across the CABL teams.
If the teams that have predictably fought over the wooden spoon give reasonable accounts of themselves and push the other teams and score a win here and there then you have a real competition.
Nothing but good can come from having or developing stronger Southern, Woodville, Centrals, Mavs and South teams across all forms of basketball from juniors to seniors because that breeds competition.Every time one of these teams pushes, stretches or beats a higher ranked team our competition is the the winner.

Reply #358589 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

i do not disagree 589, but the competition and quality itself has dropped off substantially.

Reply #358591 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

norwwod, centrals, forestville, and north (maybe) when jo gets back are the only real quality teams in the comp.

These teams have either got all the quality (norwood) or have bought the quality (centrals)

Salary cap questions there!!

Reply #358594 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

porks, beautiful stuff.

Reply #358595 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

alot of teams have lost some quality players. I think this is probably the year where a few of the teams who are usually up top will be down the ladder and some who are usually struggling will be competitive.
Hope these teams make the most of it.

Reply #358602 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I saw Sturt player Forestville (mens). I can't imagine anyone beating them this year. They have depth and good players all over the court. Who can stop Rashad without freeing up then Doyle, sullivn etc.

Reply #358613 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Saw Thunferbirds goal shooter at Forestville v Sturt women game. I presume she may make an appearance late in the season for them and given Minear to return, with what they have already should make them competitive again.

Reply #358619 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

it will be Norwood, Forestville and centrals fighting for the title this year for the womens.

Reply #358620 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And for the men's??

Reply #358621 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Forestville only!!

Reply #358623 | Report this post

Clem Scott  
Years ago

If anyone can shut down Pero I will be surprised. Add to this Bond, I think North for men's. (unfortunately)

Reply #358625 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Forestville have the only real quality tall female in the league to come into their line-up and will go top on her ability.
Norwood are overspending underachievers with more attitude than ability and will finish ever second. Centrals might win the brawls but with only two players they will not win enough games against the teams they need to beat and will need to spend more money for short term success but might want to chat with Norwood about how to stay under the salary cap.
Not sure what it says about North to be pinning it's hopes on a returning 40 year old and maybe they should stick with the youth policy and sacrifice short term for long term benefits.
Sturt are on track with youth and showing the league again that junior development is more than words and will be a threat in coming seasons

Reply #358628 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Forestville have the only real quality tall female in the league to come into their line-up and will go top on her ability.
Norwood are overspending underachievers with more attitude than ability and will finish ever second. Centrals might win the brawls but with only two players they will not win enough games against the teams they need to beat and will need to spend more money for short term success but might want to chat with Norwood about how to stay under the salary cap.
Not sure what it says about North to be pinning it's hopes on a returning 40 year old and maybe they should stick with the youth policy and sacrifice short term for long term benefits.
Sturt are on track with youth and showing the league again that junior development is more than words and will be a threat in coming seasons

Reply #358629 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Firstly I am not too sure Forestville can back on the real big tall.

Norwood with the talent they have "developed" should be doing better. They may have "names" selected as bigs but they are only bit players for the Lightning and are not as good as what people think.

Think Centrals first 3 are as good as any so I would not right them off.

Not sure Jo is 40 but even so better then nearly all the players in the league especially as an on-court leader. Not sure when/if Lauren Mansfield is back but adding those two players to the mix will improve them.

As for Sturt youth approach I commend them on that but there are other teams both on the Men's and Women's side who are also implementing that approach. Is it just a coincidence but it seems that teams with U23 success are also having ABL success. Maybe U23's is working at the Div 1 level!!

Reply #358630 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

i agree with everything you have put forward 629. its just unfortunate that teams like south, although they have added a few this year, havent had the juniors to develop for years now.
I wonder how the likes of Norwood and Centrals and maybe even F/ville stay under the cap?? I think I have the answer, they don't!

Reply #358632 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

i do not think Foley and Lewis for norwood are just bit players for the wnbl. Oh and then theres Stabile, and...
They should be alot more convincing than what they have been!

Reply #358633 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The bigs are Herrick (sp?) and Stabile not Lewis and Foley

Reply #358634 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

i was mentioning big names not talls..

Reply #358636 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Forestville have lost Bello which is a big hole in that guard area but addition of Thompson from AIS will stretch a lot of opposition front courts. Add possibly Berago and Minear and they have some offensive game. Still think Norwood clear favorites though.

Reply #358637 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

you guys are kidding yourselves if you think centrals are over the cap, just because they are winning games you all jump. americans are not allowed to be paid due to their visa and the have no wnbl players. each club is allowed to spend 15k between the men and the women. this can be done easily without breaking the rules. pretty sure most clubs would be under the cap and their players required to bring in financial sposnors and fundraise.

Reply #358640 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Without wanting to sound condescending, 'not allowed to get paid' and 'being paid' are two different things. Basketball and the cash economy often have more in common than you might believe.I can't talk about the situation above but you'd be surprised by how many ball players are lucky enough to find plain paper envelopes with good stuff in them.

Reply #358643 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I am not sure many clubs have the financial capability to pay much more than the cap - possibly the larger ones with more junior teams. As for envelopes with money in them I thought the bar in question threw them all out?!?!?

Reply #358647 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Where's Scanlon been the last few years? Surely playing somewhere to come back and fire like that so quickly?

Reply #358655 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

I think Scanlon moved to England but I could be wrong about that

Reply #358659 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

i know exactly how much it costs to get an import over. Not allowed to get paid. Ha, who are you kidding. They are over..

Reply #358681 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Hahahahahaha, imports dont get paid.. What rock have you been under #640.

Reply #358683 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

THIS RUMOUR IS GROWING LEGS

JJ I hear Mildura are looking at joining the ABL next season- has anyone heard the same???

Reply #358685 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

so when an import pays for their own flight, their own visa, pays rent and gets a job how much does it cost to get them over here?

seems not much, there are thousands of americans that would kill to be here working and playing.

if you do your research and reference well enough you will find yourself having many options.

this is the ABL not the seabl.

Reply #358686 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Iron knob will put a team in before mildura

Reply #358688 | Report this post

Vodka 94  
Years ago

There are two types of imports. those who are paid to play like in SEABL and NBL and in the past CABL. recently I believe you will find some of the imports have been on holidays and therefore are precluded from receiving payment. Different types of imports therefore different standard of imports. Do clubs probably help with billets, and junk cars,food, and some incidental expenses, more than likely do. but do they get paid as imports, who have to be paid which has a minimum, no they don't. So in both cases both arguments are right.

Reply #358690 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

i doubt whether someone would venture over here at a cost of around $4000 return,maybe more, and cover most of their own costs for atlest 6 months. I have been apart of a club where they have bought in an import and it cost the club over $10000.

Reply #358693 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Vodka you are spot on, that is why we wont see the likes of Ron Nunnerly, Kelvin Henderson, Jeff Bickmore, Mark Davis, Willie Joseph etc etc, players of their level will head to the SEABL and Perth.

Those from NAIA, and smaller NCAA schools will opt for the work holiday visa and invest in their own trip down under.

when you earn $8 per hour in the states or you can come here and earn $15 min and play ball and have a life experience, people will always be interested.

Reply #358694 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

mildura are seriously looking at playing here next year

Reply #358713 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I hope BSA ensures that clubs can afford any extra expense if Mildura are allowed to play.

Reply #358726 | Report this post

Years ago

mildura would be good to have in central.

it would be only 1 trip away for every club - plus possibly a final if required.

a road trip to mildura would hardly blow the budget

Reply #358730 | Report this post

Vodka 94  
Years ago

why would BSA have to cover the expenses. If southern are required to play centrals at plex do BSA have to fork out travel money? I'd say not. If woodville travel to play eastern in the hills do BSA fork out travel money, nah. Why would they fork out to play then at mildura. years ago riverland had a team in and teams went up once each season to play in renmark or loxton or barmera wherever it was scheduled. It was great opporunity for some team bonding. Riverland had the bigger expense travelling to adelaide every second week to play here. Sure Mildura and BSA would have worked out the logistics if it does indeed happen. Personally I am skeptical as I can't see mildura not playing SEABL.

Reply #358735 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What benefit is there to include Mildura in CABL
1. Additional cost to clubs (and it isn't small)
2. Byes will become the norm
3. Season drags on or more double headers
4. If Mildura can have a team then what is stopping everyone else - we could even have a Western Magic team then
5. Do country sports even know what a salary cap is or how to enforce it -

Who is initiating this rumour, or even worse, who is having these discussions?

Reply #358741 | Report this post

Years ago

less travel for mildura - only 440 km to adel - around 550 to melb

Reply #358742 | Report this post

Hanging Round  
Years ago

Vodka94- Would you drive home from Mildura straight after the game?
I'm sure the Tigers drive home from Starplex and don't require overnight accomodation.
I do agree that it would/could be a good team bonding weekend- hire a bus to assist in keeping players 'fresh' prior to the game

Reply #358756 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Reply #358760 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Would Mildura field a Mens and Womens Team?

Reply #358761 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

this is not a rumour, mildura basketball approached BSA months ago to start discussions.

3-4 players per car and a nights accomodation, hardly breaking the bank.

mildura pack the stadium with 500 people each week.

with the money mildura will save by being in the central they may even subsidise some of the cost.

no need for teams to have a bye, thats what double headers are for, some may play one game some two over a weekend.

just need to convince mildura to stick to one american instead of two (this year they have 2)or flex the americans rules for other abl clubs.

i think we have all agreed that an american can come cheaper than most people think, if not we would not have 7 of them in the league this year.

Reply #358762 | Report this post

Vodka 94  
Years ago

hanging around in the days of riverland that is what teams did, stayed overnight and hired buses. Hey volunteers like stats and scorers etc went at own cost, including specators wanted to see yourkid play you travelled. Happily travel to mildura to watch my kid play at the highest level. sure you have to stay over night but if ABL ever went national and there has been talk of them or at least sturt or west being included travel is part and parcel. Ask Graeme Burdon if he makes the round trip to the mount to watch eze play and bet he does.

Reply #358763 | Report this post

JJ  
Years ago

I am sure Mildura would field both mens and womens teams as they always have, watched them play in Melbourne couple of weeks ago, New import point guard is a stud , led the Nation in assists his senior year and was team mate to Wilkinson from NZ , maybe the 36rs should have a close look at him.I think one of the Adelaide teams goes up there every year to play a pre season game.Worth a look i think.

Reply #358764 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

In the current CABL I know of two imports not getting paid a cent....they paid their own way out here, are working and get no match payments. They have no car etc.

On the other hand I also know of at least one import getting paid very well (the club is still under the cap but a lot of it would be going to this one player).

I would suggest the second situation (getting paid) is actually the exception now days.

Reply #358765 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sounds like another BSA adventure in paradise to go with all their other great ideas. Don't fix anything just add more mess to blend in.

Reply #358769 | Report this post

Hanging Round  
Years ago

I think the man in the big seat at BSA would see this as another 'positive' for his resume

Reply #358772 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Surely if Mildura has had this on the table for a while with BSA then either BSA has said no or has been delinquent in not sounding out the other clubs as to their views and the impact on those clubs.

Issues include
-cost: travel and salary cap issues
-how many imports
-if more imports impact on pathways for juniors

Not sure what the benefits are but the potential negative impacts are clear

Reply #358773 | Report this post

Interested  
Years ago

who is mildura's new import

Reply #358775 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

it would be you poster wouldn't it?

Reply #358776 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why so many haters for mildura. If your an abl player this is great news! The Riverland trip use to be the highlight of the season.

And seriously, what's the point of the salary cap?? Very few teams would even know what it was.....

Reply #358793 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon above. You seem to know a lot about what clubs are paying out to make that comment. Care to name teams as your throw away comment tarnishes all clubs. I know our club strictly adheres to the cap - how do I know? I sign the cheques

Reply #358825 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Then you should proudly name your club as the shining beacon of righteousness that it is. You have challenged anon to put up, you do the same?

Reply #358830 | Report this post

JJ  
Years ago

Interested- Details about one of Milduras imports are already on post from a few days ago.(Kris Clark) The other one they have is Jermain Williams a 6'7 guard out of LSU also very good to watch.

Reply #358832 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't kknow who the above anon comment is but I know on our men's side at the club I am at not one player is getting paid.

No I will not name the club, not my place to do so.

Reply #358837 | Report this post

Wam Soosnam  
Years ago

Now you have given yourself away!!

Forestville.

Reply #358839 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

thats funny!!

Reply #358848 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Haha def not Forestville.

Reply #358850 | Report this post

Wam Soosnam  
Years ago

Sorry...tongue firmly in cheek.

Reply #358854 | Report this post

Ridge  
Years ago

I follow the league quite a bit, normally watch a match each week.

To be honest i don't think the Norwood team has the depth to win the comp. Yes they will rarely be beaten with the starting 5 they have and some strong bench players, but the proven depth really isn't there after the best 7 players

Cara Boothey (A specialist defensive player quite underrated, can nullify almost anyone in the league with exception of a few. but beware as can change a game if not watched. AVG 20 mins @ 7PPG and 3.5RPG)

Jessica Good (Another young player who has come through the system, has the potential to become a good player in the league. Is reletivly unknown and may cause a few problems if overlooked. AVG 18mins 5.5PPG, 5RPG and 2APG)

Jordan Walker-Roberts (An aggressive guard, very unpredicatable. On a good night may hit 20+ points and win her position, however the defensive side just is not to the level it should be. This could be costly if exploited and not on a good night. AVG 25.30 mins @ 7PPG 2.5RPG and 1.5APG)

Lauren Spangler (youngster won't get much time, a few goes off the bench in matches already decided)

Megan Pritchard (Youngster AVG 6 mins at 4.5PPG & 1.5RPG room for improvement with more gametime as the season progresses)

Tess Keenan (youngster won't get much time, a few goes off the bench in matches already decided)

What do other people think?

Im gonna write up a preview of all the matches for this weekend with matchups etc as im bored and need to waste time before its time to go sleep.

Reply #359055 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ridge I think you've failed to take into account that its a bench for a reason and also is womens Central ABA.

I think if you really look around the league that Norwood's bench would be as good as any other going around.

Reply #359057 | Report this post

Ridge  
Years ago

It might be, i haven't had a close look at all the teams and we have only had 2 games to go on. Thats why i wanted other people opinions gives a different view on things.

Personally i think Walker-roberts is overrated and would be a bench player only at most teams. Boothey is known to have be injury prone and the rest of the bench are effectively juniors.

Reply #359059 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ridge has got the over rated individual right

Reply #359064 | Report this post

Art Vanderlay  
Years ago

In comparison to whom?

Reply #359067 | Report this post

Panther32  
Years ago

I always enjoy a good laugh when I read some of these comments about imports not getting paid.
The fact is the posters here aren't probably lying, they probably don't get paid to play.
But I know that Centrals generally hook up their players with a "Junior Development" Coaching role at the college or the club out there which would add onto what they can pay them from the salary cap.
Just like Rashad Tucker does coaching clinics at Wayville to fill his pockets.
There is nothing wrong with that, it's all legit under the current rules.
But you definitely need to pick the right import to run these types of clinics as some of them tend to take advantage of the system.
I know when David Nurse was out here last year, him and Mitch Creek ran some basketball camps to generate some more income.
Oh and on Scanlan, he has been overseas in Poland for a number of years just working over there no basketball at all. So I guess it must be like riding a bike for some!

Reply #359079 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Panther, that's pretty impressive. 37 points, second game back in the league.

Reply #359093 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

if you watch the league you would know that if you have a quality 2 or 3 players in your group you will have success. The quality is few and far between these days and there are only probably 3 teams that have this quality in the womens comp.

Reply #359094 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

anon, None of the clubs could match up on a quality tall like B for Forestville if she returns. As for lack of quality overall, every club has several quality players but not necessarily the coaching staff, development and experience. Added to this is the genuine lack of tall players in clubs. Most clubs have mid size forwards, talented but short.

Locally, perceptions on quality are made for us by God and naturally we fall into awed reverence rather than opening our eyes and seeing for ourselves how well players perform. In Ridge's assessment of Norwood he overlooked a couple of players who should get more notice that a couple he did review and that's across the board. South Australians seem to have to be told who is good and who to watch and seem incapable of detecting talent themselves.

So many girls from outside the state system as well as from within it have improved out of sight and probably get sick of hearing how bad they are and how 'saved they are ' by the 2 or 3 good players in the 3 team comp. If any of the 'other bad 7 teams' wins the competition it would be fantastic and I hope one does.

Reply #359104 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

every club does not have the calibre of players that certain clubs have!! Who are you kidding?
There was no mention that any of these girls are bad at all! And if these girls are told so by coaches then that is appauling. That is not what was said.

Reply #359105 | Report this post

Ridge  
Years ago

@ Anon

Yes there are some players who should be given more attention, but i was focusing on the bench players from direct relation from the previous match.

I totally agree and its across the board that many players dont get the recognition and the chance as those of others. Due to many readsons. It could be junior reputation, coaches, sometimes even management.

Reply #359177 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:24 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754