Anonymous
Years ago

Wade Helliwell officially retires

Big Wade officially announced his retirement on the GF edition of 'It Goes Off' today:

http://www.nbl.com.au/news/article/2012/april/it-goes-off-grand-final-edition/

Topic #28070 | Report this topic

alexkrad  
Years ago

Big blow for 36ers...

:O|

Reply #358256 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

You know, some will joke about his retirement, but from many accounts, this guy was a great contributor to team chemistry in a tough season. More than a few of the players had him down as the 'personality' of the team which is something for a guy coming in cold.

There is a photo that always makes me laugh, of Wade and Stephen Weigh (I think) sneaking a large fresh fish into the bunk of Jan Warbout (again, pretty sure it was him) while he's sleeping down at the Ng's holiday house or wherever they were.

As with most of the team. I expected a bit more of him during the season, but those moments when he did his ungainly bit and the crowd responded as though remembering the best of Paul Rees were memorable for me.

Reply #358262 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

An absolute gentleman off the court who always had time for the kids and fans. Came to Adelaide in the twilight of his career and like Isaac, I saw him as a Paul Rees-type and loved his effort. The memory of his "flu game" towards the end of the season will remain with me - the guy was in a bad way but still pulled on the uniform and went to battle with the team. All the best with everything that comes your way, Big Wade. You'll be missed.

Reply #358265 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

"remembering the best of Paul Rees". Nice line Isaac.

There is a whole YouTube channel in that!

Reply #358266 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

He is a very affable chap to talk to. Best of luck in retirement.

BTW, would this free up a spot for the return of the silver ghost?

Reply #358267 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

who is the silver ghost?

Reply #358277 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

hahaha come on Paul Rees was heaps crap. An absolute Monger.... Wadeis better then Paul Rees.... slightly. By all accounts a good guy, but a pretty limited basketball player. I like what that guy said on 'it goes off'... he was basicly sayin in a nice way "no offence, but u suck.. but australia was down on big men.. so they turned to you, and you got in there and you tried" LOL... pretty funny.

Reply #358289 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon your very uneducated. Rees played his position and role in that star studded 6ers lineup to perfection. He is a winner, his ring collection is proof. '94 GF MVP against Adelaide for good measure. Wade mightve been the most amazing personality around, but no one has a good season when you finish last. Good luck to him, sure he has made his $$ in Europe for all those years.

Reply #358311 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Don't make me call the Paul Rees Posse out of retirement......

Reply #358320 | Report this post

Years ago

GO THE FIVE FOUR !

Reply #358555 | Report this post

seen it all  
Years ago

this interview http://www.36reasons.net/2012/04/interview-boti-nagy.html

says it all in my view

yes

"Helliwell is a limited player but - "

so were a LOT of players over the years in the NBL who were used by their coaches in ways that played to their strengths, and because of that when they went out of the game they were respected by their peers ( and betters) , and missed by the fans and their team mates. They often left with championship rings on their fingers that we all knew they both earned and deserved.

Sixers had people like Nash and Rees, Canberra had people like Jamie Kennedy ( a guard who could not dribble)and Dave Nelson ( a centre who could not jump).

I actually thought very little of Wade until this season, when I saw him actually give a $h!t about playing harder than your talent allowed, just to get the team over the line, not to showboat or to be seen to be "good" but to just be ready to play as hard as he could for whatever time he was given. Toi see his reaction on the bench when one of his team mates got it right was something worth congratulating him for.

As Boti is quoted as having said - .

" Watching him steadily lose all confidence and deteriorate into a trying-to-please dufus was sad to behold."

This was a real tragedy. the jury may well still be out on Clarke's failure/success in attracting and developing young talent , but the obvious demise of Wade's (slim)talents over this season should and will cause veteran players to think again about coming to the 36ers.

Remember both Rob Rose, Darnel Mee and Paul Rees were veteran NBL players when they came to the 36ers, I doubt we will find many players wanting to come here now.

Reply #358564 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:20 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754