Should ABA players have to sign player agreements.

Southern are currently refusing to clear one of the Junior members of their ABA squad(Davies)because he signed a player agreement in October last year.

Since then the Club has recruited heavily and most of these players now suit up to ABA games including an import to play the 2 spot.

He has told the Club he only wants to play Under 23's elsewhere so now he will sit out for 6 months.

How can a Club hold someone to the contract when this occurs! I am sure it would not happen in any other sport.

This seems to happen every year and last year it was Southern again holding back Brandon Brine from going to North.

There has to be a better way! Why can't any transfer be decided by an indeopendant committee.

Topic #28071 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Brenton the basketball proffessor

shouldnt have signed the contract in september

Reply #358280 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah Brenton and were you not the president when Brandon wanted to move. Maybe this is Karma for all the people you have shafted over the years as president. WHat goes around ...

Reply #358282 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

Happens in Big V but its called a player agreement that the league has introduced to ensure everyone (clubs/players) are a;; on the same page.

Key thing it makes sure everyone is aware of requirements on both sides re clearances/expectations.

I think it protects both club & player in repsect of clearances etc

Reply #358283 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tthe contracts are not worth the paper they are written on and a visit to your lawyer would be a hundred well spent

Reply #358290 | Report this post

The Brad  
Years ago

Of course they should. They are making a committment to play for that team and may in hand recieve compensation back.
It also stops (or meant to) other clubs approaching those players during the season. It also forces other clubs to notify that players club that they wish to talk to them and then wait 10 days before talking to them.
Contracts like this are around in all semi professional and professional leagues. I played football and basketball and had to sign contracts and yes football players sometimes have to sit out an entire season to change clubs.
In the Southern Footbal League at the moment there is huge contoversy over a former South Adelaide Junior coach who now coaches Hackham (worst team in the league) who has tried to sign junior South players from clubs around the league. The league introduced a rule where if a junior has played 3 years or so as a junior at the club then they can hold onto them until they play 2 years of senior football for that club.
Imagine that rule in Basketball SA!

Reply #358293 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

its not a contract, its a player agreement, so lawyer wouldnt be able to help, and bet it would cost more than a 100 bucks

Reply #358294 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

why is it these young players expect to get courtime straight out of juniors, ever heard of doing your time on the bench? If you really thought you were hard done by, how about working harder and proving the coach wrong? Nah rather go whinge to daddy and get him to kick up a big fuss!! think player and parents need to realise he wouldnt get a game at any other ABA team so take what you are getting and be greatfull!!!!

Reply #358295 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He shouldn't have signed the agreement, I know in SEABL even if we are not getting paid we have to sign a contract....

He simply should not have signed it so don;t whinge if the club holds him back because he signed it.

Reply #358303 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

anon

So what your saying is a coach can recruit 14 players after you sign a contact and you become the 15th and have to suck it up.

Not sure that (a) that is moral and (b)it would stand up in court.

Reply #358323 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The unfortunate reality is that some coaches make no effort to develop players and expect them to train for numerous hours per week with no prospect of getting on to the court at any time so that the 'real players' have someone to train against. Why would someone continue to do that? I doubt any expect to play 40 minutes per game, but a few minutes would provide incentive- or only go with the 7 players that are going to get used and don't think that a young player is going to develop sitting on a bench watching others play. MAy as well watch the NBA if that was going to do anything.

Reply #358328 | Report this post

Andrew O"Keefe  
Years ago

Karma alright!!

I think i would rather see the club negotiate

"Let him go if the whole family goes" :)

It would be the deal of the century

Reply #358329 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

perhaps dad should have stayed as the president

Reply #358331 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

328 he should have thought about that in september, maybe have asked some questions like are you going to recruit players, they had feed back sessions.

Reply #358335 | Report this post

Andrew O  
Years ago

I suppose that would have prevented this problem, as if he still was Pres , there possibly wouldn't have been a club anymore,so many disillusioned members ready to walk under the old dictatorship

Reply #358336 | Report this post

Andrew O

This post is not about wether it is right or wrong not to clear a player who signs a contract but is there a better way as every situation is different.

I am sure you are one of those that have never lifted a finger around a Club to help but like to bag everything.

Next time your at Southern (I assume you are from there as you seem to know the family) have a drink at the bar and raise your glass to the President cause if he was not running the show at that time your Club would not have got the viewing area they have ended up with.

Cheers

Reply #358348 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Andrew O - if you think Southern is in better shape now than it was with Brenton as President - you have got to be on the best drugs south of the border. Absolute capitulation happening down the hill

Reply #358351 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

351 why do you say that?

Reply #358357 | Report this post

Jabba Jaws  
Years ago

Good to see things never change, Southern people airing their dirty laundry on a public forum...

Reply #358358 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Contract under contract law must benefit both parties.

Reply #358374 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Damn it, I had the 19th in the "what day this month will Southern air their dirty laundry" in our pool...

Reply #358388 | Report this post

TC  
Years ago

The Brine situation is a lot different to the Davies one.

Brine was knocked back due to Southern releasing 2 players already (all they have to release according to by-laws).

Davies situation, well if you demand more minutes or you are leaving not sure why Southern wouldn't just let him go.

Kid can shoot the ball, but lets face it not great at much else.

Couldn't see him making Forestville's ABA side anyway.

Reply #358411 | Report this post

All  
Years ago

?

Reply #358444 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

Under what grounds can a club refuse to "clear" a player, out of interest?

Reply #358669 | Report this post

ALL  
Years ago

Its a written contract

Reply #358780 | Report this post

Lawyer  
Years ago

Where the hell is this world heading
Once upon a time {sounds like a fairy tale} LOL a person on a hand shake would honour an agreement now we have people signing contracts saying they want to renig, no wonder the world is going to end in December, too many lies too much bullshit get back to basics
Too many people saying whats in it for them instead of playing for the love of the sport
Bring back Werner, Rick, Laurie and Don, played for love {hate} self satisfaction and not for EGOS
The youth of today are pathetic, play for the sport not for yourselves, suck it up and move on and forward
Basketball professor are you from Gilligans Island or Professor Pat Pending from Wacky Races, because to me you live in fantasy land, get with the programme

Reply #358788 | Report this post

I must admit Gilligans Island and the Wacky Races were a couple of my facvourites.

But back to the topic.

Its not a contact byt an agreement and in direct conflict to the BSA Youth League by-laws which state a player must be cleared as loang as they are financial.

As mentioned in the original post this kid only wants to play Under 23's elsewhere.

How does the CABL agreement impact on a fifferent set of by-laws?

Reply #358799 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's as simple as this - don't sign an agreement if you don't plan on honouring that commitment.

If you do sign it, don't whinge when you are held accountable to that agreement.

Reply #358800 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

An agreement protects both the player and the club and in the absence of an agreement means more problems that with one. Without seeing what was signed, it's too hard to comment on any out clause, but one expects there should be a clause enabling either party an out.

I think there is something about the wording in an agreement that affects College basketball. College ball is for those who haven't turned pro and I understand that if they get paid, as opposed to re-imbursed, they may be in-eligible for College Ball. This is particularly important to young players who want to backpack around the US of A and throw a few oranges at hoops.

At the end of the day, the player and the club should sign an agreement and I understand BSA have standard agreements that can be modified to suit the club.

Should a player be cleared if they want an out? IMO, there's usually not much point hanging onto a player whose heart lies elsewhere.

Reply #358808 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:56 am, Thu 18 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754