David
Years ago

Sacramento Kings relocated?

Kings are looking to be on the way out. Maloofs have reportedly backed out of a deal to keep them in Sacremento. I find it odd for the Maloofs to have a press conference saying they have came to a agreement to keep them in Sacramento only to back out a couple of months later. Sacramento Mayor Kevin Johnson has blamed the Maloofs while David Stern has said he has done all he can in resolving the dispute which is not a good sign.

Topic #28081 | Report this topic

curtley  
Years ago

Send them to seattle and rename them the sonics. problem solved

Reply #358434 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

I think OKC own the Sonics name/history

Reply #358436 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

OKC co-owned the name and history, but if Seattle didn't have another team in the NBA within a certain time period (think it was 3 years) then Seattle can't use the Supersonics name or history. But they could buy back the name.

I'd prefer to see the Kings stay in Sac town. Hate teams re-locating!

Reply #358437 | Report this post

David  
Years ago

It's actually Ironic that Seattle have been suggested as a destination. Guess who is the head of the NBA relocation committee? Clay Bennett owner of the Oklahoma Thunder and the guy who is responsible in moving the sonics out of Seattle in the first place.

Apparently the Maloofs preferred destination of moving the Kings to Anaheim is going to face some strong resistance by the Clippers and the Lakers so this move might not be a done deal yet.

Reply #358440 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

Honda Centre in Anaheim needs an NBA team.. I dont think it would take away too much from the LA teams tbh, all the tourists will still want to see the Lakers and Griffin.

Reply #358441 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Honda Center doesn't need an NBA team at all! There's only around a half hour (maybe a little longer) separating Honda Center from Staples. No where near enough support would be able to be taken away from the Lakers or even the Clippers.

Hope that the Kings stay in the Sac but I'm not holding my breath. Would love them to move to the Bay Area and represent San Francisco, would make a good derby between the Warriors of Oaktown.

Reply #358442 | Report this post

David  
Years ago

Seattle, St Louis, Vacnouver, and Kentucky have all been calling out for a NBA team. Seattle and Vancouver would have to make a strong case though because of their past NBA teams have floundered there commercially. Although I do know the problem with the Sonics was more due to the fact that the team needed a new arena and the city voted in a referendum refusing to fund it.

But I would still count them as more of a priority then having a third team in Los Angeles or another team in the Bay area.

Reply #358443 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

What about a team in Las Vegas?

Reply #358451 | Report this post

pwned  
Years ago

Head coached by Grisham

Reply #358452 | Report this post

Nate  
Years ago

Heard murmurs months ago about San Diego perhaps?

Reply #358454 | Report this post

vegas is poor  
Years ago

everyone who lives in vegas is poor

Reply #358459 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

San Diego will never have a basketball team. The "fans" of sport in San Diego are pathetic. In 2003 when they hosted the Superbowl, the people of San Diego were up in arms that they had to host Oakland Raider fans as according to some San Diego natives, "they're not our kind of people." Furthermore, San Diego sports lovers are the biggest bandwagon fans in America.

Raider fans in the NFL refer to San Diego as "South Oakland." When the Raiders play at Qualcomm Stadium, there are more Raider fans in attendance than Charger fans.

Furthermore it is well known that the Chargers are rumoured to be leaving San Diego due to a lack of fan support.

So yeah, the point i'm trying to make is that San Diego will definitely not be playing permanent hosts to any sporting franchise from the NBA.

Reply #358460 | Report this post

David  
Years ago

Just in case anyone is interested there is an excellent documentary called Sonicsgate that covers Seattle losing the Sonics. Here is the address:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9Dp20ydm1E

Reply #358462 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Kentucky would have a great chance IMO.

The state is basketball mad, as you can see in any UK or UL game!

Maybe base the team out of Louisville?

But then of course, if the team is based in Louisville, this may deter a lot of UK Fans from nearby Lexington.

Vancouver is't likely. Many high-ranking people happen to be involved with the Canucks ice hockey team, and they fear that an NBA team would threaten to diminish their already well establish brand.
Basically saying, Vancouver is a HOCKEY TOWN.

I think Seattle is the front runner, because Stern has publicly stated that allbeit the lack of a major Arena (which Seattle now has), the City was great for Basketball.

Las Vegas will never happen. Too much competition with other entertainment options. Plus its not a fmaily-orientated city, and that is where you want to build a team -- to attract youthful fans and their families.

A dark horse that everyone should watch out for is Kansas city

Very nice facilities and by all accounts their MLB and NFL teams are thriving there.

I know it would be weird considering the Kings relocated to Sac town FROM Kansas City

Reply #358667 | Report this post

Cousin 15  
Years ago

Kings not going anywhere deal between maloof's and KJ (mayor) done 3 weeks ago team staying and new arena to be built. Maloofs have already committed to pay millions for the new arena and if you youtube this you'll see George Maloof trying to hold back tears when the agreement was announced.

Reply #358678 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Is this the same deal the original post is suggesting the Maloofs have backed out of, or has another deal been done?

Reply #358679 | Report this post

Aussiebballer  
Years ago

Pretty sure the new stadium deal was mainly handled by the NBA due to bad blood between the Maloof's and city officals.

So it appears the Maloof's want to find a way out of the deal so they can move the team.
Or possibly sell, they may get a better price if the new owner can move the team anywhere they want.

Reply #358682 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:10 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754