36er facts
Years ago

Clarke getting more support for less return

I was a 36ers board member for a long time and have never posted on here but felt it was time to put a few facts on here.When we won the title in 2002 we were under the salary cap by a lot in fact we won with a budget team.The problem with this was several people in the front office felt this could continue and wasted money on marketing people who were a hopeless and gave us bigger loses financially.Several of our meetings player recruitment wise were destroyed as the CEO decided he would handle negotiations they were a disaster to say the least yet this continued for 5yearseventually destroying the clib.The Sixers board went from having imput and succes to almost no value other than token.It was painful for all of us who cared so much about our club watching decisions we agreed to only to be totally disregarded the next day.Phil Smyth at the time had to wear most of it as he was the coach not once did he ever bring the club and this mess into the public forum instead trying to as we did keep the club on track.Behind the scenes people were working to get him replaced so they could achieve there own interests which they did for a while and we have seen those results.I wonder if Smyth had been given the support financially that Clarke is getting we would be playing finals and be fun to watch not sitting on the bottom of the ladder.Many of the posts on here are extremely inaccurate our club has been crushed by poor administration now people with their hearts in the right place and poor coaches.Another time I will post some of the decisions that were over ruled by the CEO and it will stagger all of you i fear for the survival of the team we all love

Topic #28085 | Report this topic

goofy  
Years ago

Would enjoy the real inside on what happened there please post the facts Have heard many stories about what happened over that time from the players and there was certainly no luv for the CEO or Di and them. Hemling who took over after him. Don't we as fans at least have some rights to now hear what went on and what is going on.We do pay our money give us the real stories please

Reply #358523 | Report this post

goofy  
Years ago

Sorry meant to say there was no luv for the CEO and DI as well as Hemiling who took over after the CEO.

Reply #358524 | Report this post

themvpiskb24  
Years ago

Julius Hodge ?!?!?!?

Reply #358537 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

36er facts and goofy, same IP.

Reply #358541 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Shame you can't write clearly. Hopefully SoS will dort it out. What's happened, has happened. You forgot to mention the times you were over the salary cap. Remember Fuss?

Reply #358544 | Report this post

Thomo  
Years ago

lol busted

Reply #358545 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

A board member who's almost illiterate?

LOL

Reply #358546 | Report this post

charon  
Years ago

Here's a "36er fact" for you then: Goofy, you are a clown. Answering your own posts!

Reply #358550 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

It's not uncommon for older, educated people to write in a confusing style on the net. I also think first-time posters get impatient waiting for their first reply and so create one. I don't think the second post discredits the first, but it is forum tradition to out multiple posts from a single IP and let people make of that what they will.

Reply #358552 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

The most puzzling thing is the topic title has no relationship with the OPs post at all. I call crank with an agenda.

Reply #358568 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

CEO's that go against the Board's directions usually don't last long. CEO reports to the Board and the Board can sack the CEO. Why didn't you sack the CEO of the day? (who was CEO post 2002?)

Reply #358577 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

36erfacts/goofy,
I for one would love to here some of the stories. If you don't think you can post them here, then email me at [email protected]

Reply #358585 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

XY, I assumed it was referencing the financial support given to Marty now versus that given to Phil in some of the years after 2002. Clarke is getting more financial support for less on-court return, is their argument.

As soon as CEOs are named, I will start getting legal threats (again). I assume the one being referenced is long gone. That was not a good era. Yet to find anyone in basketball circles who's said a good word about any of that group the OP referenced - it's quite remarkable.

There was at least one year in the middle (Groves/Hemmerling) where money flowed freely to players, then that dried up (Groves' issue) and Fuss' injection to get Hodge a second time.

Obviously there are still many sympathetic to Smyth. Club's moved on, he's moved on.

Reply #358592 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

I'm with orbit

Reply #358657 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:17 am, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754