Avv
Years ago

Gaze on SEN regarding TV rights

Andrew Gaze this morning on SEN said he thinks a deal is imminent that will have the NBL live on free-to-air next season.

Sounds like discussions have been occurring but he couldn't be too specific before the deal is announced.

Topic #28097 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

sounds awesome if true!

Reply #358687 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I think it will be something similar to the netball deal.

Reply #358689 | Report this post

Aussiebballer  
Years ago

At a guess..
One live game a week, probably Friday night and 1 delayed game

Reply #358692 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

If ONE come to the party, 7/9 GMs said they want their team to buy their teams TV rights and broadcast locally, which is good and bad. Good because you'll see most (if not all) of your local team, bad because you won't get to see as many other teams.

As much as i love the Hawks, i don't want to exclusively watch them every week.

Reply #358696 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I'd like to see something like a live game, a delayed game, plus rights with the league/clubs to stream live or sell delayed games in local stations/markets. Not sure if that last bit would ever be an option though.

Reply #358697 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I think the live game will be in the afternoon out of prime time. A live game at 4pm Saturday and Sunday arvos would be great. I suspect one live game on Sunday with NZ home games + one other replayed at 10.30pm.

Reply #358698 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

NZ home games are always made available to broadcast

Reply #358701 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dont we already have a contract with ONE that says next season we get 4 games per week on TV?
Why are we renegotiating for less than that?

Reply #358702 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

It comes down to the NBL wanting games on at better times and Ten not wanting the expense of broadcasting four games. Hopefully they can find a nice balance. Two live games a week and NZ games replayed would be a very good result given where basketball stands in the overall pro sports landscape.

Reply #358703 | Report this post

Aussiebballer  
Years ago

So that they are on a time when people will watch and sponsors will pay money for advertising.

Reply #358704 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Local broadcasts are what teams need. People mainly want to watch their own team play (plus it would rate better locally)

Reply #358707 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

So if I am KK, and I come to Hoops.com.au, and I see a thread that is titled "Gaze on SEN regarding TV Rights" am I just frightened at the point to click on the link and actually read what he said?

Reply #358708 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So we are letting channel 10 win. They sign a contract 3 years ago and this season do everything in their power to not live up to their side of the bargain and next year, when we really have them over a barrel as they must show 4 games per week we decide to bow down to them and let them out of their side of the bargain. We desparately need to find someone with backbone who will stand up and not put up with this crap.
If channel 10 want out of the contract that they signed then make them pay full price to do so.

Reply #358709 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

The problem is, they might show games at 10.45 from Thursday to Sunday night. The NBL then can only show off an average audience of, say, $25K and fans slowly drift from the broadcast.

Take two live games on weekends and get 50K that makes the NBL a lot more accessible for fans and seems a lot better when it is negotiating its next TV deal with whichever network.

Reply #358711 | Report this post

Alexkrad  
Years ago

If live arvin games are on the cards don't expect to see much more than Melbourne and Sydney

Reply #358712 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Paul - isnt 4 games at 25k the same net result as 2 games @ 50k?

I totally agree that live or near live coverage on TV should be a priority, Im just against having the powers that be at ONE dictate terms because they have changed their mind about a contract that they signed.

If as we have been led to believe ONE have used a "near live" clause to try and gain some leverage in their battle with the NBL then lets push back and hold them to their obligations under the contract.
For too long we have just stood back and played nice, how about we get some balls and start pushing our own agendas for once rather than pandering to everyone else.

Reply #358719 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

It is, but it sounds a lot better when pitching it to networks and it gives much more potential for growth. Showing during the day gives a chance to attract younger viewers and create new fans of the NBL.

Late nights only really attract the already converted and I think those will drift away over time at that timeslot, as ratings this year indicate.

Reply #358720 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

# 358719

Actually no, 4 @ 25 is not the same net result as 2 @50.

4 @ 25 can be written off as a total audience of only 25000. 2 @ 50k mean at least 50,000 people are watching.

In every sense it is very different.

Reply #358728 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

As for those calling for BA to take a hardline on Ten... this is an instance where BA cannot go too hard, it needs to negotiate a sensible outcome given that it's partner, Channel 10, have obviously expressed a desire to move in a different direction.

If BA got all tough and rough over this, it would kill any negotiations with other networks as well.

If it came to litigation, everyone knows that BA does not have deep enough pockets to take on Ten. In fact, BA would lose, and badly.

Reply #358729 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

If it says "near live" in the contract, then Ten/One haven't done anything wrong in terms of living up to their end of the agreement. Its not ideal for NBL fans but there is nothing we can do about it.

Reply #358731 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Andrew Gaze this morning on SEN said he thinks a deal is imminent that will have the NBL live on free-to-air next season.

I said I thought it was clear with the rude times playoff games are being shown that Ten were 'forcing' the NBL back to the table. Obviously playoff games were nor protected under the 'near live' clause.

I think that will be tightened up for the remainder of the contract so Ten can't screw us come playoff time again and that there will be one say live Sunday afternoon game and one delayed game per round. Maybe with Breakers home games via Sky Sport thrown in late at nights too.

Ten are all about cutting costs at the moment and wouldn't want to blow even more money on production costs for late night games that get horrendous ratings and one live game + one delayed (and possibly Breakers home games) would be a better situation for the NBL than four delayed games next season + getting jerked around come playoff time again.

Reply #358736 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

The big thing is getting Ten to agree to something they are happy to run with for the next three years of the deal, not spend the bare minimum with crap commentators and no effort into promoting the league at all and showing it in the graveyard shift.

You need a product that they get value from and the league can grow from. Otherwise this TV deal could be the last where the league receives money and they might have to fork out for future coverage.

Reply #358740 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The TV commentators are fine but agree Ten could do more with their graphics, Sky Sport's product is visually better than Ten's.

The ratings have pretty much guaranteed the NBL won't be getting paid if it's on FTA again next deal, more than likely back on Foxtel I think.

Reply #358744 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The scuttlebutt, Friday night delayed coverage @ 9pm on ONE. Sunday live game 2pm on channel 10

Reply #358747 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The scuttlebutt, Friday night delayed coverage @ 9pm on ONE. Sunday live game 2pm on channel 10

Reply #358748 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Paul, isnt that what happened last time? Ten agreed to something they were happy with and then changed their mind and the league cant/wont hold them accountable. What's going to be the difference this time?

Reply #358750 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

The change in Ten's ownership was the biggest factor.

If ownership changes again and the new agreement is loose then they might have to go through the same thing. If the agreement is tight they probably wont.

Reply #358754 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I like that a 9pm delayed game on Fridays on One and a live game at 2pm Sundays on Ten. Hope they do that and tighten up the playoff games broadcast times too.

Reply #358757 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

natwhereyouat, explain further?

Reply #358767 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

that made me laugh - BA and tough and rough in the same sentence - HO you are a pretty funny guy. Does HO mean Head Office?

Reply #358774 | Report this post

curtley  
Years ago

Everyone was happy as larry when this happened three years ago and the current situation where the playoffs are virtually unwatchable is the end result, why is everyone so damn positive?

Reply #358777 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No Saturday games broadcast? That sux

Reply #358781 | Report this post

g  
Years ago

I liked it when it was on ten in the 90s, i want to watch my team at home and on the road!! loved it was on at 8.30, the home and away games. Each city should have there own commentators. Would love to watch nz on a thurs nights 2, like season past!!! Any 1 know the real reason why one has done it like this season?? Perth can't play a 4pm time slot, then our games would start at 1, no way i am going to a game at that time!!! just want the NBL to be how it was, all teams like Hobart Brisi ect, coverge was awsome. Now ure lucky to hear ure team on the news, it's just AFL!! A game where u can win the grand final if u miss a goal?? That's sad!!!

Reply #358785 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As a Victorian still got me stuffed at the whole fixture.Why in hell would you play games in Melbourne on a Friday night when there is thousands of families tied up with VJBL games.Then on the wekend you would not have a clue when the games are on.2 Teams in Melbourne with a game every Saturday night

Reply #358786 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Very bad ratings for Game 1 of the GF series:

Grand Final
Thu - Game 1 – NZ Breakers v Perth Wildcats, 18,000

http://www.michaeldifabrizio.com/nbl-tv-ratings/

Reply #358791 | Report this post

Julian  
Years ago

@natwhereyouat Good to hear.

Bring back localised coverage. Since its demise the league has not been the same presence wise.

Reply #358792 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

total was much higher than 18,000 thankfully.

Reply #358794 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

I've been asked here before if HO = Head Office. Sorry but no... (and I don't wish!)

The tough and rough is referring to the reasonably controversial stance Keneally took on the West Sydney A-league funding.

And the fact that people were calling here for BA to stick it up One HD...

Reply #358796 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

The pirated live feed was 11,000+ viewers. Almost as high as the TV ratings, which is pretty good considering theyre not promoted by the teams or the league. Just by a couple of NBL fan sites over social media.
Also the quality of the streams are sub par.

RE: Teams finding their own local broadcast deals, that's all that's being said at the moment. No further details as they obviously can't make any deals until ONE release the rights or relax their current stance..

Reply #358797 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Which feed was that Nat? Were there a couple of different streams. Big numbers.

Reply #358798 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

You have to get out of the ONE deal unless it is severely revised. Who carees if there are five games a week on TV in 2015 if they're all on after eleven or twelve?

After staying up to watch game 3 of Townsville/NZ series when I had to work early the next day, only to have the result ruined by some mongoloid Perth commentator in the opening minutes of the preceeding Perth/GC game, that was the last straw for me in terms of watching NBL basketball this year. I don't have the patience to suffer a tired day at work the next day after putting up with that unprofessional garbage.

Every game telecast on ONE is losing fans IMO, not gaining them. The time to stand up against ONE was when we had finals games being shown after midnight. That time has passed, and no one from the NBL did anything. Time to cut your losses and head elsewhere.

Reply #358805 | Report this post

Avv  
Years ago

Interesting that Ten/One have just shafted live coverage of Formula One too...

http://www.tvtonight.com.au/2012/04/fans-angry-as-one-bumps-formula-one-to-ten.html

Reply #358806 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:57 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754