Isaac
Years ago

Year of the Yao

After all the talk of basketball movies recently, I noticed Year of the Yao advertised on NBA.com.

This site (www.yearoftheyao.com) has a trailer, photo gallery and all the usual gear.

Topic #2810 | Report this topic

Manute Bol  
Years ago

The Year of the Bol sounds better.

It's reflective of the season I'm having in the SNBL (Sudan National Basketball League).

I'm averaging a quadruple double. Blocks, points, rebounds and assists. I also lead the league in every category.

Reply #31904 | Report this post

Satish Dogra  
Years ago

What's the name of the team you play for, Manute, and who are some of the other teams you play against in the SNBL?

Reply #31905 | Report this post

SKYHOOK  
Years ago

Isaac,

How funny does that trailer make the film look? LOL .. I especially love it when the 'straight laced' interpreter tries to explain Yao telling jokes at a news conference!
A bit of insight into the NBA is a welcome change!
Should actually be an interesting movie .

Reply #31906 | Report this post

SKYHOOK  
Years ago

Satish ...

I can help you with that ..

I think the team name was the Dung-Beetle Militia ...

Basketball team by day ... geurilla militia by night ... Manute sponsored the revolution after all !!

Reply #31908 | Report this post

Manute Bol  
Years ago

Satish,

Our league consists of 10 teams, they are:
- South East Sudan Magic (My team)
- West Sudan Coconuts
- North Sudan Blankets
- Sudanville Eagles
- Sudan Snakes
- Southern Tepees
- Needwood flames
- Central Sudan Lions
- Villwood Bullets
- South Sudan Fire Engines

We have a 30 game season and everyone makes the playoffs. Each playoff series is best out of 7 games.

Reply #31912 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

bahaha every team makes the playoffs.

Reply #31915 | Report this post

Satish Dogra  
Years ago

Sounds like a good comp you have there Manute - I'd imagine teams with names like the Fire Engines and the Blankets would be tough.

Who are some of the up-and-coming Sudanese hoopsters playing in this comp with a shot of following in your footsteps and making it in the NBA?

I'd heard good things about a couple of players:

Wasim Qwerty (Fire Engines)
Fredward Nrrk (Coconuts)

Are they legit?

And wasn't there a tragic story about a gun 16-year-old tearing it up for a team, the Dakar Blue Jeans, in the Sudanese feeder league, the SDBA (Sudanese Developmental Basketball Association)? Apparently he got hit by a car in the Paris-Dakar rally while he was running to training. I think his name was Bahala Grep.

Reply #31916 | Report this post

Manute Bol  
Years ago

Bizzy, don't test me sunshine!

Reply #31917 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

Get over it Manute. I'll give you credit pretty funny thread.

Reply #31920 | Report this post

Satish Dogra  
Years ago

Bizzy,

From my experience, Manute is not a man to be trifled with. Don't forget he has boxed against William 'The Refrigerator' Perry and has an awesome reach.

Flame him at your own peril.

Reply #31922 | Report this post

Double Clutch  
Years ago

So after the ten teams play a seven game series, how do the other 5 teams progress? Someone gets a bye?

Reply #31990 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Bizzy,

I wouldn't diss the Manute, do you realise the he has a 6'10" sister that will bitchslap you down, and the lad use to hunt lions with a damn piece of twig..... That's balls.

Reply #31995 | Report this post

emcee  
Years ago

Manute,

How does one join a team? I'm heading to the Sudan for work (i'm actually a used car salesman) and i'd be keen to suit up for someone?

Reply #32000 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:49 pm, Tue 16 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754