billo
Years ago

No love for Diamon in Houston

Unless I've missed it it doesn't appear Simpson has hit the court yet, in yesterday's game the Rockets only played 8 players which is pretty rare in NBA circles - particularly with the shortened season and more games per week crammed in.

Anyone know what's going on? Why would they bother signing him only to not play him? Is he wearing a uniform and warming up with the team or in street clothes on the bench? I think it's highly unlikely he'll ever become an established bench player in the NBA but I'd love to see him hit the court and make at least 1 basket before he resumes his journey as a transient transglobal gun for hire.

Topic #28106 | Report this topic

thedoctor  
Years ago

Could be a case of auditioning him for a rebounding / fouling role for the playoffs?

Houston are in a tight race for the last spot in the west, and yesterday's game was very close. Not surprised he didn't see any time.

Reply #358822 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He is on the inactive list at the bottom of the stats..

Reply #358823 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Game before he was on the list and they played 10-11 or so without him getting on. Must be frustrating to feel like you've finally got a sniff and then nothing. Would've had more luck on a team blowing out teams or getting smashed each game.

Reply #358824 | Report this post

No Deal!!  
Years ago

I am a Houston supporter and follow them pretty closely. This signing was a typical Daryl Morey move.

The Rockets do the same thing every year, stock up on fringe players just before the close of the season in preparation for next seasons training camps. Diamon will be given every opportunity to make the team, and get minutes but it's unlikely to happen this season.

IMO, Diamon will end up at Rio Grande Valley, which the Rockets use almost like a reserves side, they run the same system and prepare the players as injury replacements.

Reply #358840 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Your suprised? Love what he did for Adelaide but he was only a pretty good NBL player. Of course he won't get meaningful minutes

Reply #358844 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Paul Rogers didn't get a second of court time and he spent most of the lockout shortened '99 season on Toronto's roster.

He was just a warm body to be used in practice and maybe Simpson is fulfilling that role with Houston too? A lot of fringe type guys tend to get signed late in the season, usually by crap teams solely to have a look at them ahead of the following season to see if they're worth an invite to training camp.

Given Houston are in the playoff hunt this also might've been the intention with Simpson, see if he's worth an invite next season? In all likelihood he'll be getting that invite to training camp which would rule him out being signed by an NBL team next season unless later in the season if he's cut.

A guy called Omar Cook used to be the king of 10-day contracts without getting game time (he did get some burn eventually) and although Simpson has been signed for the rest of the season as with Rogers it's not unheard of not to get any game time.

Reply #358853 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Is a bit weird.

You would think the teams who are out of playoff contention would sign players like Diamon, because it doesn't matter whether they win or not towards the end of the season.

In fact, because of 'tanking' they wouldn't really care at all about losing, so youd think they would sign fringe NBA players and throw them in the deep.

Can't understand why a team fighting for a playoff spot (Like Houston) would sign a guy towards the end of the season, if they don't value him enough to play him in these tight games.

Why didn't they just sign him at the end of the season?

Reply #358855 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why didn't they just sign him at the end of the season?

I don't know the specifics of his deal but more often than not these guys are usually given two-year deals, the arse end of the season followed by a partially-guaranteed contract for the following season.

I dare say the main reason he was signed was to possibly play him in the Summer Leagues in July and then maybe have a look at him in training camp in September.

Reply #358861 | Report this post

jacob  
Years ago

yeah , we expect way to much. hell get his chance and hopefully prove some worth.

agree with no deal, typical move by rockets, hell get his chance.

Reply #358866 | Report this post

Skud  
Years ago

Least he is getting paid!

Reply #358889 | Report this post

chewie  
Years ago

I'd assumed he was brought in as front line insurance if Cambys ligament damage made him miss significant time.
He is no chance of getting mins in front of Camby, The big cheese, Scola, Parsons and Patterson. Sixth man on a frontline depth chart isn't likely to see the court, as mentioned, when they are fighting for 8th.

Reply #359190 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:55 pm, Tue 23 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754