orange
Years ago

Sam Harris just cut from SEABL team

How is it possible a 224cm local cant get a gig anywhere?

He isnt injured alot so plays but seems to be hopeless.

You would think hed dominate, does he need a good coach that could make him an nbl player?

Topic #28118 | Report this topic

Observer  
Years ago

Come to adelaide,u can take helliwells spot

Reply #359000 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Last i heard he is playing with North West Tassie.
seabl.com.au

Reply #359009 | Report this post

JJ  
Years ago

SEABL team let him go last week , lack of performance

Reply #359013 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

I saw him when he tried out for Wollongong this year, not that impressive, so doesn't surprise me.

Reply #359014 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Cut from Hobart now playing at North West Tassie in SEABL.Lives up that way so more convenient for all.

Reply #359015 | Report this post

HappyJ  
Years ago

Was cut from chargers....who then sign a pg when they had already a good one in tiri masunda!sam played his first game with the thunder last week, shot 6/6 not a bad first up effort after not training with them

Reply #359016 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He's too big.

Reply #359018 | Report this post

Latrentis  
Years ago

Some kids may be tall but will never have the athletic ability to play ball at a higher level, no matter how much work coaches do with them.

Reply #359035 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Harris has had plenty of opportunities...he went o a D1 college in the states and barely got any court time. He comes back to Oz and struggles at SEABL level.

Reply #359036 | Report this post

Hanging Round  
Years ago

Perhaps put him in Celebrity Apprentice?
He will certainly stand out!

Reply #359037 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

At 28 in a couple of weeks, he is no spring chicken, but almost needs a mentor to go through his entire game and physical aspects. I remember when he was at the Sixers there was talk about his running action which had a lot to do with his height and they were getting human movement experts involved.

He might just need to pop into Uni SA's human movement department and say "where can I improve?" When guys are that tall, there's a lot of stress on the anatomical parts that isn't normally there for someone of "normal" size. That can affect movement, co-ordination and flexibility to a certain degree.

You would think that someone that tall would be an absolute game winner under the right coach.

Reply #359042 | Report this post

luke  
Years ago

Any one ever thought maybe the guy just doesnt like basketball? He didnt choose to be 7'4. If hes not a great player so be it. Yes it is frustrating at times to see people "blessed" with characteristics that may help certain areas of expertise. But people like Harris can see it as more of a curse than anything. Let the guy be.

Reply #359048 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sam is working in Launceston. Travel made training commitments very difficult with Hobart.

Accordingly, his release from Hobart to play for NW Tasmania worked out well for all involved.

As you can appreciate, the money on offer in the SEABL is not enough to allow one to live without another job.

Sam is a quality SEABL player. Expectations that he should dominate at NBL level because of height alone are misguided. Mobility and endurance were always going to stop him being a superstar. If he were 7'4" with mobility he wouldn't be playing in Australia anyway. Still thought he could have been a serviceable 10 minute per game NBL backup big.

Reply #359053 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just because your tall doesn't make you good at basketball. Its a common misconception haha

Reply #359056 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

@28 go and find a mentor.
Go to Human Movement Dept.

Way to late for any of that. Last season in basketball anywhere I reckon.

Reply #359091 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Here at 27 years , looked younger . 7foot 4in , looked taller , dunked on Johnson , clogged up the D.
Funny watching Hill trying to drive on him. Had no hope. Creek dunked on him.
Interesting to watch for a bit longer than the 3 minutes he played here in one season.

Reply #359096 | Report this post

MikefromtheK  
Years ago

Tall for nothing.

Reply #359202 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

- he had a taxpayer funded basketball education
- he had a D1 college scholarship

pity he couldn't make the most of them. could have been a big asset for Oz basketball (excuse the pun).

Reply #359210 | Report this post

Boom  
Years ago

7 ft but average skills and low B-ball IQ! Has been a so-so everywhere he's played.

Signed with Hobart as he didn't want to play at Thunder as he'd have to play NWBU and his knees are iffy.

But at $200 a point (3 ppg) what are u going to do?

Reply #359269 | Report this post

vicptguard  
Years ago

I think his height certainly has an impact on his ability to play, but there are some people who even if they were smaller would still be awkward on the court, I think he is one of these people.

Reply #359681 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sam is 7'+ and make no mistake the refs, ref differnetly for players of his size.
SEABL / NBL is a small mans league. Sam whilst not the greatest player ever at that height would probably be better in the NBL rather than the SEABL.

Reply #359705 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:49 am, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754