Anonymous
Years ago

Game two build-up media frenzy

Meanwhile the trans-Tasman war of words that preceded Game One has well and truly reignited again in the lead-up to Game Two.

Former Breakers captain Paul Henare didn't hold back in a recent interview, taking a shot at Perth Head Coach Rob Beveridge for describing the Breakers as "arrogant" after Game One and questioning the Perth fans’ tactic of singling out opposition players for special heckling treatment.

"It's nothing racist, it's nothing sexist either but it sort of takes it to the next extreme," Henare told the Hawkes Bay Today. "It's perfectly legal and all but, let me tell you, Rob Beveridge has no idea of what good sportsmanship is all about. They just pick a player and get stuck into him and I believe they go too far."

"It's not my thing, but Beveridge tends to use petty things to motivate his players, which suggests he's probably running out of ideas."

Topic #28129 | Report this topic

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

Agree!

Reply #359101 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

NZ are the most arrogant team in the league. There's a reason why opposing fans single out preening douchebags like Gary Wilkinson: because he's a tosser.

I've always found Perth to be perfectly humble, even though I'm supposed to hate them as a Townsville fan.

Reply #359142 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

What exactly is the extreme before racism and sexism? If the comments are neither of those, why bother mentioning it?

Reply #359146 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

Also, I'm not sure Henare was ever potent enough to be on the receiving end of a Jungle tongue-lashing so not sure what he is complaining about.

Reply #359147 | Report this post

Opt  
Years ago

Lol media frenzy, the only mainstream news I've heard cover the nbl GF has been a triple j news break

Reply #359152 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:31 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754