Libertine
Years ago

Bogut rules himself out of London 2012

Announced a few hours ago on his Twitter feed. Needs more ankle clean-out surgery and not enough recovery time.

Interesting given that in the Brett Brown interview a few days ago he said that they would be running the team through Bogut - but then, I don't think Bogut has ever played under Brown so it shouldn't be too much of an issue.

Topic #28142 | Report this topic

Nunyabizz  
Years ago

Another big let down from the big guy. Did the same thing to the Sydney kings. His rep has become pretty bad throughout oz &the nba

Reply #359283 | Report this post

Muzz Buzz  
Years ago

IMO he doesnt have good people around him to advise him on how to handle his PR. Good guy and good player , shite comms

Reply #359285 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Am I missing something? How is this a let down?
Rep has become pretty bad in OZ?

Doesn't have good people around him?
You fellas are delusional.
Broken ankle leading to surgery but if he has good people around him that changes what?

TALL POPPIES get a life.

Rest up Bogues, rehab hard and come back harder than ever.

Us real fans know what you have been through injury wise and wish you all the best.

Oh, and did the same thing to the Sydney Kings? It has been well publicized FIBA wouldn't insure him.

Reply #359286 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Fiba isn't an insurance company

Reply #359290 | Report this post

Muzz Buzz  
Years ago

FIBA said from the start they would not be getting involved in insurance issues as that is not what they do. Boguts American agent said he would not be playing NBL whilst the Australian agent was trying to get him gigs in the NBL which amounted to a lot of chest beating and time wasting.

Reply #359293 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

TALL POPPY.
So you two expect him to play with a broken ankle?

Reply #359294 | Report this post

Norwood36er  
Years ago

All the best Bogut. Get healthy and back to form.

Reply #359297 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Not sure why anyone expected him to play given his current status.

Reply #359299 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

I agrre Isaac until i saw Brett Browns interview. Thought he would have known his status but talked him up 4 olympics big time.

Huge risk 4 Golden State IMO.

Reply #359304 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

Disappointing but if I was him I wouldn't risk $20mil to play in the Olympics either

Reply #359309 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Bogut just needs to get healthy before he plays anywhere!

Hope he gets back on his feet as quickly as possible.

Reply #359312 | Report this post

Norwood36er  
Years ago

alexkrad: His contract is guaranteed whether he plays olympics or not.
Issue is he needs his ankle cleaned and there is not enough time to rehab it for Olys. I have had bone spurs in my ankle from footy and anyone who has, knows how bad it is on a daily basis just walking, especially playing a sport.

Reply #359313 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Reply #359314 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Bogut's Twitter from about 1hr ago...

AndrewMBogut Shattered thinking about missing the 2012 Olympics. They truly are a life changing experience and something that you will always remember.

Reply #359318 | Report this post

Nunyabizz  
Years ago

Well if he plays for the warriors anytime before London then he is soft. It has become all about the money for this so called bball player

Reply #359320 | Report this post

Nunyabizz  
Years ago

Money over country again

Reply #359322 | Report this post

Norwood36er  
Years ago

nunyabizz: Season is over in 1 week.

His contract is guaranteed: You sound a little slow, so ill explain.
This means whether he plays in the Olympics or not, HE GETS PAID by his NBA club.

So im not sure how this about money??

Just a thought, maybe its the fact that his ankle is broken and he is having surgery...(Just a wild guess)

Reply #359324 | Report this post

Observer  
Years ago

He cant afford his own insurance and relies on other people to pay for his luxuries,hes never played under brown thats right.

Reply #359325 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Considering he's been injured for just about the entire NBA season, I never thought he was going to play for Australia in the Olympics anyway. This seems to be confirming the obvious.

Reply #359326 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Observer: Would you pay your own insurance to go and work for free in another country? Regardless of how much you are getting paid, I highly doubt it.

Reply #359327 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If anyone needs the in depth definition of Tall Poppy Syndrome, send them to this thread.

Don't understand the argument of this being about money? Can somebody help me with that and explain? I thought NBA deals are guaranteed?

Reply #359328 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

Andrew's ankle is still weak. Trust me, this has nothing to do with money, it has to do with getting healthy. The guy is 7ft tall, these injuries are common for gods sake. Would you rather a Yao Ming like career? No.

People are saying its all doom. We have some of the best big man outside of the NBA! Maric, Andersen, Nielsen, Oglvy and to a less extent: Jawai & Majok.

Reply #359331 | Report this post

Jez  
Years ago

natwhereyouat: "We have some of the best big man outside of the NBA! Maric, Andersen, Nielsen, Oglvy and to a less extent: Jawai & Majok."

Surely Jawai is far outperforming Maric and Ogilvy? Maric only seems to manage junk minutes, and Ogilvy isn't even playing (not sure if it's injury related). Jawai however has put up some very efficient numbers lately. And you didn't mention Baynes, who is arguably the best big in Greece.

Obviously Nielsen will play despite his limited minutes in Russia and Andersen's strong form too will ensure his place. But based on Bogut's absence, and current form, Jawai and Baynes should be locks for the squad. Perhaps though the reasoning is Brown only wants one of the two, as they are similar types of players.

Reply #359337 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

In my mind he was never going to suit up for the Boomers in London.
This just makes it official with plenty of warning. That's good. Means we can get on with preparations without the added distractions & unknowns.

Reply #359340 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^^AGREE^^^^

Reply #359342 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Could open the door for Khazzouh to get looked at?

Reply #359343 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Good call Dunkin Dan. Anyone who has been following Bogut's injury sitch and the angst shown about his durability by Warriors fans would have expected this. Now its confirmed and Brown knows what is happening for certain.

Nunyabizz, you are either a troll or have no clue. Of course he is not going to play for the Warriors before the Olympics! Lets see, they have about 3 games to play and their season is done. I don't think they're breaking Bogut out for a feel good season closer.

There should be no doubt that Bogut wants to play for the Boomers, but with the injuries he's had and the pressure he would be feeling from the Warriors to perform next season, I don't blame him for going the extra mile to ensure his ankle is 100%.

People need to give the guy a break.

Reply #359353 | Report this post

Observer  
Years ago

Onnoymous-I pay my own sports insurance!!!!I have weak ankles like Bogut,cannot afford to be out of work.

Reply #359354 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bogut

No surprises, Bogut hasn't even played a single game for the Boomers since the 2008 Olympics.

Reply #359356 | Report this post

Patty Mills Time!  
Years ago

Observer: You are full of shit. Your sports ins. prob costs
100 bucks a year.

Id like to see all you blokes play a 2010 world champs
with a broken elbow, wrist and finger...and a 2012
Olympics with a broken ankle.

I agree with the tall poppy comment.

So many jealous tools on here critisizing
Australias best basketball talent...EVER. Deal with it, yes
EVER!

Reply #359358 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon 359327 - ask any contractor who pays their workplace insurance. don't make this into an argument about the stupidity surrounding professional sports' salaries and the like. That's a no-win argument in any society that values social justice.

The issue is Bogut has a broken ankle and won't play for Australia at the Olympics. Who is surprised? He hasn't played for Australia for 4 years.

I think a more interesting questino is whether anyone expects him ever to represent Australia at a future World Championships or Olympics? He clearly has to be seen as injury prone now and probably will struggle to carry full NBA seasons of basketball, let alone adding international games. Given his priority is NBA, surely it's unlikely he'll appear in green and gold at Worlds or Olympics while he is still capable of playing at that level?

Reply #359359 | Report this post

Patty Mills Time!  
Years ago

He hasnt played bacause he has had 2 shockingly bad injuries. Is that so hard to fathom?

Ohhhh maybe he is getting hurt on purpose so he can get out of playing for the boomers!!!! Now it all makes sense!

The insurance policy was rumoured to be 1 mil. Im sure most blokes in the workplace today pay 1/10th of their salary toward private insurance. (not public liability) *sarcasm

Its only cause of the numbers he makes people think he should pay his own way. I can see you blokes being very smart businessman!

Reply #359360 | Report this post

Young Gun  
Years ago

"If anyone needs the in depth definition of Tall Poppy Syndrome, send them to this thread."

Gold!!! Too bad you're posting as Anon. Should get credit for a comment like that!

I've followed Oz bball since the early nineties & IMHO there's never been a top-tier player like Bogut who has been so committed to the Boomers.

This guy is phenomenal off the court... the way he has interacted with fans in Milwalkee, rehabbed from some MAJOR injuries & travelled with the Boomers even when he couldn't play. I'm guessing the hold-ups with his attempts to play NBL had a lot with him actually wanting to play NBL & trying everything possible to try to play.

All the best Bogey... will be great to watch you in GS next season.

Reply #359361 | Report this post

Observer  
Years ago

Good Luck to Brett Brown hope we get a medal without Bogut.

Reply #359364 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why didn't he have the op 6 weeks ago?

Reply #359369 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

Typical reaction. My interest in posting was more to the point that BB thought that Bogut was going to be there and stated he was going to 'run the team' through him in London. As someone posted above, at least he knows well in advance this is not the case and can build the team and strategy with this in mind.

And also, he raved about Baynes in the interview, he would be well ahead of Jawai in my book. Ogilvy has been injured much of the back end of this season.

Reply #359371 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Why didn't he have the op 6 weeks ago?"

Two options:
1. Warriors conspiracy: Warriors orchestrated a delay to the surgery so that Bogut would be forced to miss the Olympics. You evil genius, Warriors GM.
2. Bogut conspiracy: The Boomers chances suck. With the poor form of core Boomers players making a medal extremely unlikely, Bogut figured he may as well pull out of the Olympics and concentrate on ensuring his ankle is without any potential problems in what will be a crucial upcoming season for Bogut on a new team.
3. Non-conspiracy: An issue with the ankle has become apparent that wasn't earlier in the recovery period because he has only recently been able to test out his ankle.

Reply #359384 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So what does everyone think then?

Mills
Newley
Andersen
Nielsen
Ingles

Delly
Barlow
Maric
Ogilvy
Worthington

Martin
Crawford

Reply #359385 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

To the last anon above Libertine, if you were following the Bogut injury sitch, you would know that he did have the op weeks ago. This current op is a follow up arthroscopy to clear out some small bone fragments (see the Yahoo/ AP article from today).

Libertine, I looked up the Brown interview after I saw this thread and it was interesting to hear him talk up Baynes. I would guess that Baynes is virtually a lock from those comments. I had my doubts about him at first because he seemed like a clumsy foul machine, but the last few times I saw him for the Boomers, he has looked pretty good.

It was interesting to hear Brown be so open about the lack of game minutes so many Euro based Boomers have been getting. Probably not ideal, but as Brown said, maybe it means players come in fit, healthy and determined to prove something to the teams that haven't been playing them much.

It was also interesting to hear Brown so positive about Crawford's season and his ability to make the three. Perhaps Crawford will not only make the squad, but he might even start?!?! Given how well he has shot it and the Boomers horrible long-range accuracy in recent times, I am starting to think that might be a reasonable idea.

With Bogut now out, maybe Brown looks to more of a slashing game that takes advantage of Newley and Ingles skill sets? If so, you would want two big guys who set good high screens for the slashers and can make the mid-range shot to both draw the D out and act as the safety when a drive is shut down.

Obviously Andersen is a prime candidate for that role and Nielsen too. Baynes looked like he was starting to get a bit better with mid-range shots last I saw, but I don't know if he has continued to improve that aspect of his game in Europe this season. Anyone know?

Reply #359390 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I watched the Warriors last game on league pass, commentators mentioned surgery couldn't be done earlier as the bone had to fully heal. I guess if you go in for surgery too early there is a high chance to disrupt the bones healing then you are in all sorts....

Reply #359394 | Report this post

anonymouse  
Years ago

Quite simple: HIS BODY,HIS CHOICE. Respect his decision.

Some of you guys on here seems like some jealous cry baby twits

Reply #359409 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

plenty of big men to choose from

gives Jawai an outside chance depending on how much he want's to commit to the boomers

Ogilvy (C)
Jawai (C)
Maric (C)
Anderson (pf)
Baynes (pf)
Worthington (SF)
Ingles (SF)
Newley (SG/SF)
Crawford (SG/SF)
Della (PG/SG)
Mills (PG)
Gibson (PG)

Reply #359430 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I like the look of that list Anon however I suspect Nielsen, if available, will bump out one of the centre or power forwards on your list.

Reply #359435 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Ogilvy played himself out of Brown's team last year I suspect.

Reply #359437 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is it possible for Jawai to play himself into it though?

I doubt it after that blowup they had a few years ago when Jawai was benched BB doesn't seem all that interested in Jawai anymore.

Reply #359449 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

Anyone who thinks Matty Nielsen won't be on the team is mistaken. He'll play and he'll be the captain.

Reply #359451 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I think it would take something special for anyone outside last year's squad to make it.

I dont mind the thought of Jawai because we dont really have any other low post scorers in the team, and only one of our big men can really shoot it, so we have the worst of both worlds to a degree.

Reply #359470 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think Jawai should be a lock and you'd think he would be ahead of Maric in the pecking order but BB's facination/obsession with Baynes clouds his judgement on this.

Reply #359491 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Brown slams critics after Bogut's Olympic dream ends

"I think that it [criticism of Bogut] is reckless and irresponsible,' he said. 'The Spurs played the Warriors last week and I sat down with Andrew and talked about the Olympics. When you look at him and listen to him talk you get the full picture; he is highly disappointed and wanted to play for Australia."

And interestingly, this:

"The return of Jawai, a former NBA big man who has put together solid form in Europe, has become a possibility after Brown spoke with him last week."

Reply #359506 | Report this post

anonymouse  
Years ago

Hmmm a lot of people eating their words now?

Reply #359544 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

Interesting to see Jawai back in the picture, and it couldn't have happened at a better time with Bogut being unavailable.

I've previously said the London squad will come down to 15 players - the 12 that beat NZ last year to qualify, plus Bogut, Andersen and Crawford.

I don't see any changes to that formula, other than replacing Bogut with Jawai.

15-man Boomers squad for London;

Adam Gibson
AJ Ogilvy
Aleks Maric
Aron Baynes
Brad Newley
Damian Martin
David Andersen
David Barlow
Joe Ingles
Mark Worthington
Matt Nielsen
Matty Dellavedova
Nathan Jawai
Patty Mills
Peter Crawford

Reply #359545 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I dont think it will happen but Id prefer to see Jawai than Baynes. The big man rotation will be Maric, Andersen and Nielsen with Wortho playing PF when we need to go more mobile.

So in that fifth spot I think take a guy like Jawai who has shown he can dominate international level big men in short spells, rather than an honest banger like Baynes who struggled at the top European level.

Reply #359548 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Barlow? Where is he these days?

Reply #359549 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

Barlow is playing in Spain for UCAM Murcia.

Reply #359618 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:40 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754