LC
Years ago

FIBA to Introduce Competition Changes: World Cup

FIBA, the sport's governing body is set to introduce a new international competition that is sure to whet the appetities of basketball enthusiasts around the globe.

Their strategy includes expanding the 3on3 (3x3) format, but from my perspective, more importantly looking at adopting a FIFA (soccer) style qualification for what will is now being touted as the FIBA World Cup!

In summary (in part replicated from Paul's post on OzHoops):

-The new Basketball World Cup to be expanded to field 32 teams
- Qualification to be home and away series (similar to FIFA)
- Calender to run Olympics 2016, zone championship 2017, women's world champs 2018, men's world cup 2019
- Likely to mean that qualification to the Olympics will be primarily through the World Cup

Importantly under the new system of competition, there can be up to 1,600 games played by up to 130 national federations over a period of 18 to 24 months. This is double the number of national teams that are currently involved in the qualifying process for FIBA's leading international tournaments. And for us, this means seeing the Boomers and opals play regular home and away games every year - something we only get to see against NZ when qualifying for WC's and Olympics.

In addition, as the strength of international teams is based in Europe, often some fo the best teams miss out on the WC's and Olympics due to lack of places. Under the proposed changes, FIBA Basketball World Cup will consist of 32 teams, thereby allowing for good representation for every continent. For example, you could have 12-14 European teams that qualify for FIBA’s flagship event. To me this ensures the best of the best which is what the World cup should be about.

FIBA also propose to hold the men's event a year following FIFA's flagship event. The women's event will be played in a different year to help them gain stand alone exposure.

Mainini: calendar, system of competition and 3x3 our biggest priorities

Bring it on.

Topic #28144 | Report this topic

MACDUB  
Years ago

Great news!
A really positive step forward.

Love the idea of increasing the amount of International games, as Australia and NZ don't play anywhere near enough.

Just wondering where the additional money would come from though?
Its all well and good, the idea of playing more games/series, but in reality Basketball NZ as well as the other minor Basketball nations don't have anywhere near enough to fund overseas travel.

Reply #359336 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

I like it! Will be good to see meaningful international games for the Boomers more often. Where will we compete though? Hopefully as part of the Asian group along with NZ?

Reply #359357 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

Like all of it except calling in the 'World Cup'. What was wrong with the 'World Championships'?

Reply #359372 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

I guess FIBA are trying to mirror the prestige of the FIFA World Cup...

Will be interesting to see how it all unfolds.

Reply #359374 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

I really thought I was reading about soccer there for a minute......?

Yes, I agree, if we are talking about basketball let's refer to it as the World Champs, not the Cup like soccer, just seems to fit the sport better I think!

Otherwise, it's always nice to read some positive news about the sport of hoops, now let us see it happen!

Reply #359540 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Mainini: Our new system strengthens our national federations

"I think it's now time for us all to come together, join forces between clubs, national federations and FIBA, to reinstate the appropriate balance between club and national team competitions. We believe our proposal is one that works for all stakeholders of the game."

Reply #359547 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:55 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754