Happy Days
Years ago

Best line for a tech foul.

Whats the best line you've heard for tech foul from a coach?

Topic #28157 | Report this topic

SVD  
Years ago

Could be urban legend but Barkley once said to a ref "Can you tech me for what I am thinking?" The ref so "no". Barkley said "good ... cos I think you're an a$$hole".

Reply #359568 | Report this post

Offspring.  
Years ago

Heard a coach once say to a ref "If you call that 3 seconds then no wonder your wife is unhappy.

Great comment and everyone laughed except for the Ref who gave the coach a Tech. (righly so)

Reply #359570 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Apparently Ray Borner used that one too?

Reply #359571 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Must admit it was not my finest coaching moment, but I was teched once (okay maybe more than once), and my reply was "Tech me all you want ref, that was still a crap decision!"

Still shook hands and apologised after the game though..... Guess I am just a big softie!

Reply #359573 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

I know one former SEABL coach who called the ref an f**ing cheat.Talk about cut to the chase!!!

Reply #359575 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The ref once said to me to be quiet otherwise he would tech me and I replied "good at least I will know your whistle works"

Subsequently teched!

Reply #359576 | Report this post

ankles  
Years ago

Not a great line but was once ejected for the following exchange:

Coach: Will you blow your whistle? (with passion :))

Ref 1: Blows whistle - Tech Foul

Coach: NOW you blow your whistle!

Ref 2: Blows whistle - Tech Foul - you're out of here!

Unfortunately I have a million of 'em. :(

Once in a game of U14's we were being shafted so I went down the 'get a tech - get a few calls' path. U14's so didn't want to blow up so after a particularly bad call walked alongside the ref and told him:

'That call was terrible - no response

That call was appalling - a little twitch

That call was atrocious - TECH FOUL'

Thank goodness because I was running out of adjectives.

By the way we got every call for the rest of the half :(

Reply #359580 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

I am waiting for a time and place to use this http://youtu.be/bfK1LfUIP64

Don Shipway in a state league game

"Beamesy you have gone all game without giving me a tech.

Beames - you have been well behaved tonight Don

Shipway - still doesnt mean i dont think you are fucking dickhead

TECH

Reply #359581 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

"Aaand, one luck fan will go home with a game ball..."

That is a very funny movie, Will Ferrell is a classic, but I am not sure I would ever use that line myself... Love the drop kick though, at least 40 meters into the stands, impressive!

Have used this one before, "So which part of the ball did he foul, ref?"

Got a warning and my reply was, "I apologise!"

Got a tech for that one..... More about the tempo in my voice than what I said I think??

Reply #359586 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Had a very biased game with the foul count all lopsided. I got a warning from a ref for being too vocal and told to be quiet. So I told him that I would be quiet, but if I didn't agree with his call, or if they missed a blatant foul I would stand up as my sign I was not happy.

Problem was, about 5 minutes later I stood up to get my drink bottle.

They thought I was objecting and got a T.

Seems, you say it best, when you say nothing at all.

Reply #359588 | Report this post

Dave  
Years ago

Got called for a personal foul when I was standing near mid court and the foul was under the basket, clearly a mistake by the ref.
I went up to the lead ref and said 'mate he called that on me' he said 'no he didnt you were no where near it' and then i made him go check. he checked the scoresheet, saw it was on me and walked to the other side of the court and done nothing about it.
This was my fourth foul so was getting angry and said 'you have to change that, you know it wasnt on me' and received a tech - 5th foul for the game. Then proceeded to get another tech walking to the bench, and then my teammates got into the ref from the bench until the game was called off.
Since I was listed as player coach, the end scoresheet for me read 4 personal fouls and 5 tech fouls for a game total of 9 fouls...
The ref tried to apoligise a week later saying he 'made a mistake and was going to change the foul' when clearly he wasnt going to change it.
One week suspension was upheld even though my club disputed it.

Reply #359589 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

not PC but a mate of mine got called a tech for "what are you retarded?"

the next week at the 36ers game the half time was the introduction of the special olympics basketball team , of which said ref was a team member.

mate turns to me and says " well what do you know , he is."

Reply #359594 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Team manager says "that was a bull shit call"
Ref comes over to coach and says "is that person on the end of the bench on your team?" Coach, "yes, she's my team manager." Ref: any more of that language from her then a tech"
Coach, "what if she was right??"

Tech.

Reply #359598 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I had no timeouts in a close second half one game. Other team was atrocious shooting team but alot bigger than us. So I randomly told the ref what I thought of him. Got tech foul, but i did get time to have a quick timeout to talk to my players while other team was shooting.
They missed both free throws, so in the end it worked out well!

Reply #359599 | Report this post

budgie  
Years ago

(Mod: Back to the cave.)

Reply #359604 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Interesting and sometimes entertaining thread this..

Common themes appear to be:

1. No one seems to get a tech foul when they are winning.

2. It is getting harder to find a high I.Q. among some players and coaches.

3. Referees don't always seem to have the same sense of humour as coaches, do they?

Reply #359610 | Report this post

Bulldog  
Years ago

I have had two good ones over the years.

I have had a tech because I was talking to the ref about a call he came up with a terrible explanation so I said he was a clown. Apparently not a funny clown as it got me the tech.

That was as a coach. As a player I once got a tech for yelling out Jesus Christ after throwing an outlet pass into the stands. Was having a bad night so let out some personal frustration and got the T. I asked the ref how he could T me up for that when I was just asking for some help with my game. He replied he had to call it a tech as some people might have taken offence. So I asked him if he was religious and he said no. So I responded with so how can you call a tech for something you didnt even take offence to.

Had a chat with the ref after the game and he apologised for calling the tech.

Reply #359615 | Report this post

Bulldog  
Years ago

Despite the many techs I may have received throughout my coaching and playing days, this thread has pointed out one thing to me at least.

Budgie pointed out after his comment to the ref she was never out there again.

I think this is a good time to point out that without Referees there would be no games and I know they get paid to do it, but I for one make an effort of shaking hands with all refs after games and thaking them for doing the job.

Reply #359617 | Report this post

The Answer  
Years ago

Letsturn it around.

I was reffing a social div 2 grand final (mixed). Called a foul. The captain of the team going to the line started having a go at me. I pointed out the foul was FOR them, and they were going to the line. He then decided to call me a couple of choice names, so I gave the T. He then kept going, to the point he got his 3rd and I tossed him. The rest of his team then joined in, tossed another 2 players, then abandoned the game.

All because I called the foul FOR them.........

Reply #359621 | Report this post

Years ago

several rofls

Reply #359622 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

(Mod: No, it's not.)

Reply #359628 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

In a game this year an NBL coach saw Mika Vukona slam the ball into the court and not get a tech. Coach asked the ref why no tech? Ref said he was just frustrated... Coach said everything I say to you is in frustration!!!!

Reply #359645 | Report this post

Abc123  
Years ago

I personally believe that having a joke and a quick light heartened chat with refs before the game helps get in their good books.

Then during the game they are more likely to be accommodating to you - keep the light hearted jokes and odd funny remarks going and they will
Continue to listen and dIscuss things with you.

Then when all else fails a great way to get the refs to pick their game up is by speaking to 1 and say "your doing a great job, really sensational, but you need to help your thee ref mates out because they are struggling" gets 1 ref pumped up
And on your side and may get that ref to sort the others out. If your good enough do this to all the refs haha - then they all think they are going well and
Will all try to get the others to lift their game.

Reply #359664 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Coach: Hey ref, I think you need a snorkel - Cos you are out of your depth!

Reply #359672 | Report this post

pissed  
Years ago

Player goes up under the bucket get hit by about three players (i thought on the arm personally), umpire calls travel

Player: Why wasnt that a foul
Umpire 1: They only hit the ball
Umpire 2 comes running in and calls a tech foul
Everyone on the bench stands up in confusion
Coach: What did you tech him for
Umpire 2 pauses then says: Because he said ref open your eyes
Player: I DIDNT GET TO THAT PART YET!!

thought that was funny

Reply #359676 | Report this post

JDog  
Years ago

Not me, but I remember a coach giving a referee a huge spray...with a water bottle.

Reply #359690 | Report this post

Choppa  
Years ago

Best one I ever heard was Bruce Palmer. He asked the ref for a kiss on the lips. The ref asked him what for. He said I would expect a kiss on the lips from somebody before they f*#ked me in the arse! tech

Reply #359693 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bruce Palmer to Ray Hunt " Hey Mike"

Reply #359695 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

Michael Dancer would stand up and slowly clap. I use to wait until he had finished clapping then casually turn around and give him a T.

It use to confuse the crap out of him, but I wouldn't hear from him for the rest of the game.

Reply #359697 | Report this post

Some people  
Years ago

Heard a coach say to a female referee that if you're going to screw me the least you could do is show me some cleavage!! Tech received, no cleavage shown :o(

Reply #359713 | Report this post

AMAZIN  
Years ago

Against the Blaze on the 36ers last home game of the season and it was also the game one of the refs was retiring. Later in the game the ref called blocking foul on Diamon Simpson but it was clearly a charge and Marty says: He's been around that long and he calls that!

Reply #359767 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Not a line for a tech foul, but I was coaching against a guy who was never sat and was carrying on like a pork chop yelling abuse at his players.

Now, you hoopsters should know by now I like to stir and so I decided to stand and "mirror" him to put him off. It drove him mad and he tried staring me down with teeth clenched. "Sit down D%^head!" was the comment to me. Even his feral parents were giving me the finger.

In the end he walked onto my side of the bench to challenge me mid game. Refs saw it, gave him a warning.

After the game, he threatened me with legal action for defamation.

Reply #359770 | Report this post

athlete  
Years ago

I once got teched for telling the ref his whistle was tucked underneath his shirt, which it actually was.

Reply #359772 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Had the late 9.30pm game at Kilsyth one night and the referee had made some questionable calls. I told him 'I know its late but can you wake the fark up'. Got me a few laughs and also a tech. Worth it

Reply #359774 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Country Championships in Bendigo a few years ago, under 12 boys final and we were getting a raw deal from the ref, so I had to get up with arms extended out wide and say, "What's going on ref..?"

Reply, "I don't know!"

My reply, "You can say that again..."

Tech!

Reply #359838 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Seniors Social. My team vs a team of young lads (16-17 ish).

Me: "Take it easy on me tonight boys, I'm old enough to be your dad"
One Boy: "Go hard, or go home"
Me: "That's what your mum said 17 years ago"

Ref: laughing with tears. "I should give you a warning"

Same game, line up for foul shots, next to one boy keen on my daughter.

Me: "If you're nice to me, I'll put a good word in for you to Emily"
Boy: "Don't need to be nice for that to happen"
Me: "You're mum said the same thing"

Reply #359852 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ref: Say one more word and i'll tech you!

Player: Zucchini

Ref: *Whistle* Tech foul!

Reply #360034 | Report this post

hoopie  
Years ago

Keep them coming, people - these have made my week !!

Reply #360054 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ref makes a number of bad calls and finally gets one right.

Coach 'Great call ref, what a good one right there, well done mate.'

Ref's Reply 'Are you serious?'

Coach 'No, sarcasm is how I deal with stupid!'

You guessed it, tech.......

Reply #361161 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:05 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754