TR
Years ago

Beyond a Joke.....Only in America

Browsing the US papers and came across this article.

I can only hope that rubbish like this doesn't occur in Australia.

How can anyone in there right mind grade a 10 year old playing hoops. Shit (sorry Isaac), when I was ten I was playing for the love and to hang around with my mates, not chase endorsements and sponsorships. This is utter bullshit, and I wonder when the first young lad does something stupid just becase of the rankings.

Opens the door for ugly parent syndrome.

Meet the next, next, next big thing

Too young to be courted?

Indy's Kevin Ferrell is the No. 1 player in the nation in his class. He's 11 years old.

Preteen phenoms

Here are the top 10 fourth-graders in the nation, as published March 12, 2004, by Clark Francis, editor and publisher of The Hoop Scoop. (The players are now in fifth grade.)
1. Kevin Ferrell; 4'10"; point guard; Indianapolis
2. Jaron Reese; 5'3"; point guard; Houston
3. Drew Davis; 4'8"; point guard; Stockbridge, Ga.
4. Xavier Turner; 5'5"; center; Indianapolis
5. Xavier Horne; 5'2"; point guard; Washington, D.C.
6. Terry Ellis; 5'6"; center; Wichita, Kan.
7. Jacob Walker; 4'10"; shooting guard; Prince William, Va.
8. Jalen Williams; 4'11"; point guard; Fort Washington, Md.
9. Kameron Jackson; 5'3"; power forward; Los Angeles
10. Taylor Aker; 4'10"; shooting guard; Orlando, Fla.

It's Saturday morning, a little before 9 o'clock.

The No. 1-ranked basketball player in the nation in his class is lacing up his orange game shoes, among the many accessories his summer team receives free from its sponsor, Adidas.

He pulls on his warm-up top and heads to one of six courts at The Fieldhouse in Fishers for a spring-league tournament game.

His name is Kevin Ferrell.

He's in the fifth grade.

Think a lot of attention has been showered on high school phenoms like Lawrence North's Greg Oden? That's the tip of the iceberg.

Today's search for moneymaking basketball talent isn't for the next LeBron James. It's for the next preteen star who could become the next Greg Oden who could become the next LeBron James.

Not only are grade-school children being ranked by nationally known scouting services, by the time they're in fifth grade, they've become full-fledged cogs in the basketball machine, complete with national travel and, increasingly, shoe company sponsorship.

Last year, Adidas started a national, invitation-only camp in San Diego for fifth-, sixth- and seventh-graders. One of the reasons to attend, its Web site says: "Top college coaches in attendance." Other shoe companies are also targeting younger children.

Big-time college coaches are showing interest in kids before they enter high school. Demetrius Walker, of Fontana, Calif., an eighth-grader recently profiled in Sports Illustrated, received his first recruiting letter in sixth grade and one from Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski in seventh. It's not uncommon.

Clark Francis, publisher of The Hoop Scoop, a Louisville, Ky.-based scouting service that has pushed the envelope on ranking young players, last spring pushed it to its lowest point yet: fourth-graders.

Kevin Ferrell, then a 10-year-old, 4-foot-10-inch point guard from Lakeside Elementary in Warren Township, has a crossover dribble, can hit a running jumper in the lane and snaps off one-handed bounce passes that hit teammates in stride.

He topped Francis' national list. And soon the pressure began.

Kevin's father, Kevin Sr., received a call from the Adidas camp. "They said they wanted him to come to the camp, but what they wanted me to do was send $575," Ferrell said. "I said, 'I'm going to have to pass.'

"What they're saying now is that if he doesn't go to the Adidas camp, he won't be on the rankings page."

The entire process of probing grade schools for future talent has many stunned.

"I think it's ridiculous. What it does is sell books, recruiting publications and magazines at the expense of someone's loss of innocence," said former Utah coach Rick Majerus, a television analyst.

"I've never heard of (ranking fourth-graders). I think it's sad. It's just sad, almost reprehensible."

Sitting on the metal bleachers in Fishers, Ron Hunter, men's basketball coach at Indiana University-Purdue University Indianapolis, shook his head as the players left their personalized equipment bags near their parents. His son, R.J., plays on Kevin's team.

"I tell my son all the time," Hunter said, " 'I have an Adidas contract and you have more Adidas stuff than I've got.' "

The bounce of "The Next"

Other sports, notably tennis and swimming, have national age-group rankings. But in no other sport does being the Next Great Player carry the cachet or potential financial windfall of basketball.

More and more players are jumping straight from high school to multimillion-dollar contracts in the pros, and many of those have even more lucrative shoe deals. James, at 18, scored a $90 million endorsement from Nike before he scored his first professional basket.

If players go to college, they're worth millions at big-time programs, which depend on men's basketball to fill arenas and garner television contracts. CBS has an 11-year, $6 billion deal to broadcast the NCAA men's basketball tournament. TV deals for all other college sports postseason tournaments combined don't come close to that.

"This isn't girls field hockey," Francis said. "This is big business."

Francis, a 45-year-old IU graduate, travels the country watching players and relies on the opinions of a network of associates to develop his rankings. Like most scouts, he doesn't have a cold numerical percentage system for ranking players but takes into account primarily athleticism, size and shooting ability. And, of course, potential.

"It's better to know in eighth grade whether or not you're the next LeBron James than at 20 or 21, and it's better for college coaches and NBA general managers," Francis said.

Daren Kalish, sports marketing manager for Adidas Grassroots Basketball, said his company has "a handful" of programs that provide gear to teams with players as young as fifth grade. "We want to be involved with elite-level players at all levels of basketball," he said. "It legitimizes your brand if the top players at all levels are wearing it."

While that marketing strategy has proved effective for shoe companies, there are plenty who see the issue from the opposite view and ask a different question:

Is it good for 10-year-old kids?

"It's certainly more of a problem than a benefit," said Peter Roby, director of Northeastern University's Center for the Study of Sport in Society. "Kids at fourth, fifth, sixth, seventh grade are not at a point where anybody should be declaring them head and shoulders above anybody else or recruitable material.

"In the meantime, parents get all wide-eyed and create these expectations, then put enormous pressure on the kids."

The chances of reaching the NBA are minute. Only 0.03 percent of high school seniors will play in the NBA, according to NCAA research, and Roby said his group has studies showing nearly 70 percent of youth athletes quit sports by the age of 13.

"Is it too much pressure to rank a kid when he's in sixth or seventh grade?" Francis asked. "My normal answer is: The kid can handle it, but the parents and coaches can't.

"The kid knows if he's going out and tearing it up. If there is a problem, it's the parents, the coaches, the counselors or whoever is in his life to say it's too much too early. . . . If parents put the kids out there, they're fair game."

Here is the link: http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050428/SPORTS/504280463/1004/SPORTS

Topic #2816 | Report this topic

Bizzy  
Years ago

Man, how far can they take this crap? Kids going to be arrogant and self indulged by age 14.

This could make things really ugly when money is involved and the kid is 11 so his parents control it.

Reply #31918 | Report this post

Buddha  
Years ago

I think its funny that they take sport that seriously. Believe me i take it seriously, but ranking the top 4th graders?! thats outrageous....who watches enough primary school basketball to be able to rank them in the first place. My pedophileometer is going off.

Reply #31925 | Report this post

Mott the Hoople  
Years ago

I think Adidas have alot to answer for.

Reply #31926 | Report this post

NBA Kindy  
Years ago

1. Kevin Farrell, the #1 kid, likes GT and UConn, but he is a two-sport star, also excelling at dodge-ball. If the craze continues to pick up steam after the Ben Stiller movie, don't expect Kevin to stay with hoops.

2. Terry Ellis, at 5'6" towers above most kids in his class. Height charts project him at 8'4", so keep an eye on him. Evidently the Pop-eye cartoons have convinced him to eat Spinach, so his strength is increasing.

3. Marcus Smart, #15 likes NC ST and GT. However, word in the lunchroom is that he is wants to be a "package-deal" with Stanton Davis. Someone overheard this rumor at recess, but Sally-Mae says that Jim says that Rob told Marcus that Stanton wasn't so sure about going to the same school.

4. Lyndon Rose, #11, was told by a head coach NOT to go to GT because there are not enough girls there. Just pitiful, low-life recruiting. The good news is that this will not be a factor in his recruiting, as he was quoted as saying "girls are icky".

5. Jaron Reese, #2, really blew up in last year's summer circuit, hitting two free throws and only getting called for 18 double-dribbles. His only issue - lactose intolerance and he doesn't sleep well because "there are monsters under his bed".

Reply #31928 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

bahahahah nice work NBA kindy, deserve a icon for that.

Reply #31931 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Agree, definately deserves a basketball icon...

I would almost go with 'Post of The Week'.

Reply #31934 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

NBA Kindy, that's awesome!
Isaac, that's worth promoting to it's own thread it's that funny!

Reply #31935 | Report this post

NBA Kindy  
Years ago

I have to be honest :-(, it was plagurised from a basketball forum. But I agree it is stil worth a basketball icon.

Reply #31937 | Report this post

Stephon  
Years ago

Scouting year 4s is hilarious but there is a great article in the latest SLAM about OJ Mayo and Bill Walker.

Both are the two best year 10s in America (both are 17 but their coach recommended repeating a year...) and both play on the same team along with another 6'11" phenom.

Mayo has had media attention since he dominated year 12 basketball in year 8 (he averaged a triple double while scoring 30ppg).

A 6'6" PG (Mayo), a 6'6" SG (Walker) who can dunk like Kobe, and a 6'11" Centre (Keenan). Not a bad year 10 team!

With freaks like this, it is not surprising that primary school kids are getting looked at!

Reply #32022 | Report this post

freddie williams  
Years ago

if 4th and 5th graders can't handle the pressure, then they would tell thier parents to help them. But if he or she can handle it, then we don't have a problem. there's nothing wrong with a kid this young getting some hyp, it's probably the most hyp they'll ever get anyway.

Reply #35342 | Report this post

clint  
Years ago

if i was in that situation at that age it would be hard to cope i rember been that age but i was a swimmer it was hard enough to be able to tain 7 times a week and not be tired and kids that age need to be able to go to friends houses but i did enjoy it but i had no money involved and wasnt made to fell like i had to do it

Reply #36181 | Report this post

Only in America!

Reply #43147 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:10 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754