Anonymous
Years ago

7 Games for World Peace

Just announced by the NBA that he's getting 7 games for his elbow hit. I'm surprised at the severity of it to be perfectly frank. Most elbows get 1-2 games. The uproar was simply because it was done by Artest. Artest hasn't been in something malicious like this for a while and I question why they take his past reputation into account and disregard his actions of the past few seasons. I thought it warranted a 2 maybe three game suspension max. 7 is high but the lakers will get by without him.

Topic #28167 | Report this topic

Ricey  
Years ago

Yeah this is rubbish giving him 7 games... But think its just going to fuel the fire and if he makes it to playoffs then Lakers will be a even stronger team than earlier this season now that he's playing aggressively

Reply #359745 | Report this post

Big Sexy  
Years ago

You guys must be Laker fans, that elbow is just as bad as punching Harden in the head, 7 games seems fair

Reply #359748 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Totally disagree with you

7 is right on I believe.

Have you seen the elbow? He gave it the big wind up!

This behavior has no place in sport whatsoever.

Reply #359749 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Agreed it has no place in sport. If he did that in public he would be charged with assault but since its on a basketball court you guys think its fine and he should only get a couple of games?!

Reply #359751 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Repeating what I said in the other thread, it was totally outside any play and completely unnecessary.

Unfortunately you can't ignore his past indiscretions.

It's like Brendan Fevola changing his name to Devoted Loving Husband and everyone forgetting that he is a douche with a problem keeping it to himself

Reply #359752 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

You can take the boy out of the ghetto, but you can't take the ghetto out of the boy.

Reply #359753 | Report this post

Opt  
Years ago

Should have got life.

Reply #359754 | Report this post

AK-47  
Years ago

Definitely wasn't your regular elbow, 7 games definitely seems fair.

Reply #359756 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

The penalty is fair. He's lucky it wasn't 15 games.
It was a severe blow that should not be tolerated. It's a well deserved punishment.

Reply #359758 | Report this post

CurtLey  
Years ago

If it happened in an afl game he would have got more than 7 if in a previous season he went into the crowd and beat up a fan.

Barry hall got 7 for the staker punch I believe and he had a history of thuggery.

Reply #359759 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

He's lucky he didn't catch Harden in the temple and kill him.

A similar incident happened in NZ where a player ended up in a coma.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/domestic-basketball/news/article.cfm?c_id=267&objectid=10344581

Reply #359763 | Report this post

AMAZIN  
Years ago

MWP definitely got what he deserved, he probably thought this guy has a beard so maybe he could be ok. James Harden is great player on a great team and he is a key cog in their line-up, MWP could have done some serious damage.

Reply #359768 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

meta world peace should have been suspended for 82 games

Reply #359778 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Chris Blakemore should have been kicked out of the league for his elbow to Cattalili in '95!

Reply #359783 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

Has anyone been suspended this long for an elbow before? If not, then shouldn't be allowed now, simple...

Reply #359793 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/page/5-on-5-120424-MWP/nba-does-punishment-metta-world-peace-fit-crime

Ricey - some analysis on the factors that led to the suspension. It was outside of any play, and vey violent. With his history, he could well have got more than that.

I thought the Barea comparison (the Bynum hit) was a decent one. I think he got 5 games? MWP's hit on Harden was way worse than that.

To say no elbow has ever attracted a 7 game suspension isn't relevant. What's relevant is whether the NBA applied their rules, as they are stated. If that allows them to take into account prior history, then that's OK

Reply #359798 | Report this post

JOaRiDrAN  
Years ago

I said it in the other Artest thread 2 days ago;

He will get 7 games and the Lakers will beat Denver 4-2 so Artests first game back will be game 1 vs Oklahoma.

Stern loves a soap opera, the NBA want a big rivalry and Artest has just given them a story to go with.

Reply #359801 | Report this post

Tweet Tweet  
Years ago

JOaRiDrAN, what if the Lakers play the Mavs in the first round? Does that change the storyline at all?

Reply #359819 | Report this post

Latrentis  
Years ago

You've got to remember the elbow caused a concussion so it wasn't just a measly knock with an elbow. I think the Nba should look into players who have had multiple suspensions in their career and bring harsher punishment, kind of like drink drivers who reoffend.

Reply #359821 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Given his past, to me that was an extremely light punishment. A targeted unprovoked and unexpected hard blow to the head of an opponent using an elbow. That's very dangerous.

When reading about his punishment, I immediately suspected there must be ulterior motives for the light punishment.

Reply #359828 | Report this post

SRT070  
Years ago

i love the initial post "he hasnt done something like this in ages" he shouldnt have been known for doing it ever. Thats like a murderer getting out of prison kills some 25 years after his previous kill and saying "lets go easy on him he hasnt done it in a while" what a joke. you must be stupid to think that penalty is too much. it should be more.

Reply #359832 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

he should have got an extra 2 games for playing for L.A

Reply #359835 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

If he was playing for the Melbourne Storm he would have been traded to Miami to even up the competition, the Lakers would have to return at least two full sets of NBA Championship rings and they would have to play the rest of the season plus next season for no points!

Reply #359843 | Report this post

Latrentis  
Years ago

This was Artest's comments on Espn:

"It was bad timing for me and then, physically, it was bad timing for Mr. Harden," World Peace said after practice was over. "Who can write up a left-hand dunk and then all of the sudden somebody is right behind you? It's hard to draw that up and to plan something like that. It was just the worst timing for me."

He has got some serious issues he needs to figure out before he should be allowed back on the court. You just don't know when this dude is going to snap!

Reply #359857 | Report this post

igotmadskills  
Years ago

bynums hit on barea was worse last year as he was in the air and blatantly wanted to hurt him and he got less.

In real time the artest hit doesnt look as bad so 7 games is fair. If you slow things down it does look a bit worse but then if you slow most thigs down it looks worse.

Reply #359862 | Report this post

JOaRiDrAN  
Years ago

Tweet tweet, it doesn't matter. Lakers in 6 in both series

Reply #359918 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:28 am, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754