skull
Years ago

Salary cap audit for top four NBL teams

now the season is finished, the compulsory salary cap audit of the four top teams is due.

who is over the cap??

or who is over it the MOST, may be a better question ?

Topic #28169 | Report this topic

MACDUB  
Years ago

No one is over the cap. Delete this thread.

Reply #359786 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't think the overall quality of players this year suggests anyone was over the cap.

Reply #359788 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Macdub, what makes you so sure? More of a viable topic than all those Patty Mills threads... hang on, what was he paid at the Tigers!?

Reply #359791 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Because the risks/punishments of breaching the cap significantly outweigh any benefits.

All the teams know that there is a compulsory audit of the top 4 teams at the end of the season.

So if you wanted to win a championship why would you breach the salary cap.

In 2010, the Storm breached the salary cap but the investigation was RANDOM, and they were unaware that a salary cap investigation was to be undertaken.

Ok, so a salary cap investigation might be crucial in the NBL to investigate "accidental salary cap breaches", or mistakes by the club.

But I don't want this thread to turn into a case of "NZ are definently over the cap" because they won.

Reply #359794 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

you sound a bit paranoid MACDUB.

what i am saying is that cairns used up a fair bit of its salary cap and had an ABA strength bench.....just not sure how the top teams go ten deep and still stay within the cap??

Reply #359800 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

$1 million fine for being over, I doubt any of the teams have risked it.

Reply #359805 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

Crocs & Blaze were both well under their cap, I believe Joey Wright has said they barely reached the 900k mark, even with 3 import signings.

I highly doubt the other two teams did - or any team for that matter.

Reply #359807 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

All the teams know that there is a compulsory audit of the top 4 teams at the end of the season.

So if you wanted to win a championship why would you breach the salary cap.

For the same reason athletes take performance enhancing drugs even though they know they'll be tested, because they think they can do it without getting caught.

As a former auditor myself and based on what I've read about prior year NBL audits it's a hardly a certainty that an audit will uncover salary cap breaches, particularly when they're off the books.

Reply #359811 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

billo,as a former auditor yourself,do you think the NBL needs to go further with its "off the books" investigations?
eg.do they look at personal bank accounts etc??
donations,cars,houses....how far do they actually go??

Reply #359817 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I just love how he says i dont want it too turn into a NZ are def over the cap because they won!? What are you the thread god!? Haha it is what it is, people will talk about and be opinionated about whatever they can. Maybe NZ were over, CJ dont come cheap, hasnt done for years now. Vukona would be a massive asset to any other team and Abercrombie is legit on so many levels... hmmm

I wasnt even thinking about the Breakers but now that you mention it :p

Reply #359818 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

They are under the cap. Myself and Mystro have to go through this all year, fending off those who think that the Breakers are over the cap.

At the end of last season, the NBL actually did a thorough salary cap investigation and I know they even looked at Paul Blackwell's Pak N Save (Supermarket) accounts..which would have been painstaking.

The bench players opt to play for the Breakers because of the team culture, because of the growing brand and its recognition in New Zealand and because they can keep in close contact with family and friends (Blackwell has reiterated many a time that family values are the basis for the franchise).

Players take pay cuts to play for NZ.

Its a shame that such few teams in the league are in a position where players are willing to do that.

Perth are a great example..They have got a great thing going..Players want to play in front of that atmosphere on the big stage under a master like Beveridge. Players anticipate success with Perth

The same cannot be said about some other teams e.g. 36ers.

Players have no reasons to take pay cuts in a team like the 36ers. Its a shame. They have no other reason to go there. Not many players are keen on going to a team at the bottom of the ladder with an incompetent coach and a obviously poor team culture.

All in all, what I am trying to say is that Money is so insignificant if your franchise/team underpins itself with great family values and individuals who want to win.

Interview a Breaker player and all they talk about is Paul and the team culture.

Reply #359824 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

what he said ^

Reply #359834 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Melbourne Tigers release their PG to the Breakers for Mills who promptly leaves the Tigers for China and look what happens...!

Good luck to the Breakers I say, how can they be over the cap paying players with NZ dollars anyway...?

Reply #359839 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

NZ maybe under the cap but they are not playing by the same rules as the other NBL teams.

There are massive advantages for an Australian player to play for the Breakers due to the tax concessions they earn for generating their income in a foreign country.

Last time I worked it out is was about a 20% benefit for the player.

What this means is that the Breakers can pay some players 20% less than what they would get paid in Australia and the players take home income is no different.

This then allows them to spend more on imports and keeping local talent.

I think even the most ardent Breakers fan would acknowledge that they are a lot leaner on the pay roll than years past though.

Reply #359840 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mystro and MACDUB, no one bought up NZ until you guys did, so give it a break eh?

Anon questioned the Tigers, can we expect all the Tigers fans to come to the rescue quickly?

And way to slip the boot into the 6ers there, classy.

Reply #359844 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

Only team not paying outside "Perks" are Wollogong, Cairns & Kings all other teams including the 6er's, Tigers etc pay for extra's!

I know that the tigers for many years have been doing it, weather you call it rorting or just plain old "perks" via a third party.

New owners at Tigers have said it will stop thou as they won't be forking out the extra $$$ this season

Reply #359846 | Report this post

Cell  
Years ago

MACDUB is right though in not wanting this to be a Breakers bashing thread. Maybe people remember a similar thread from last season about the Salary Cap Investigation.

Within the first few post comments like:

"Obviously the first one that springs to mind is Burger King for the Breakers. Interesting to see what happens."

and

"will NZ get there trophy stripped"

and

"The Breakers have been over the cap for a long time now so just deserts of the get caught.
IMO they should be stripped of the title."

heres the link to the thread
http://www.hoops.com.au/forum/25654-nbl-salary-cap-investigation/

Reply #359855 | Report this post

Greg  
Years ago

Have you got any idea how much a solid auditing of 4 teams would cost?
It aint gonna get done.

Reply #360000 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

i understand about a winning culture and players wanting to be a part of it etc, my point is cairns doesn't have any money,they use a big chunk of their salary cap AND have an ABA strength bench.
Aaron Fearne and co are not idiots....they are not about to over pay anyone,quite the opposite...it just doesn't stack up.
the only thing that makes sense with regards to the NZ situation is what Kent Brockman says about the 20 or so percent benefit for oz players when the NZ V AUS dollar comes in to play.
does that 20% saving then go back into bench wages??
if this is the case surely there is grounds for the other NBL teams push for equality!!
kind of ironic really....the mining boom in Western Aust pushed the aussie dollar up and helped the NZ Breakers sneak under the salary cap and win the 2012 championship.......against Perth.

Reply #360003 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

tigers weren't in the top 4 last time i looked

Reply #360016 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:28 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754