Tiger Watcher
Years ago

Tigers Player Walkout - 6ers swoop!

My little friend at the 36er's called me yesterday & mentioned a few contracted Tigers players are now on the market after turmoil at the club in recent months, most players on contract have requested a release from their contracts.

Sixers are speaking with a least 1 of these players (As already mentioned in an earlier post!) but are now in conversation with a second player!

More will come to light early next week!!!!!

Looks like the whole Gleeson debacle just got too much...as Anstey is doing all the offseason work and Gleeson is still at the club (they don’t even talk to each other!)

Topic #28177 | Report this topic

goanna  
Years ago

Operation get Myron Allen!

Id also like us to pursue Greer as a role player and Lucas 'waxy' walker.

Reply #359863 | Report this post

Panther32  
Years ago

There's not that many players on that roster I would go for to be honest. The only one worthwhile would be Daniel Dillon. Walker is an absolute Douche, most of these guys play for themselves which is why this is all happening.

Reply #359865 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

Panther i think you might be onto something!!

Dillon would be a great pick up thou don't think you'll see him in Adelaide...most prob Kings or FNQ

Reply #359867 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

DJ & Tragardh I would love to see!

DJ / Balls
Trigger / Balls
Weigh / Creek / Herbert
Import / Ng / Herbert
Import / Crosswell

Reply #359868 | Report this post

BJF  
Years ago

would people want to see Burston back? Fit he is decent enough and bring a protect the rim mentality that the team has lacked.

he would also allow DJ to stretch the d to exploit his range

I like Walker for the FU he has in his game. Cue video of him talking trash to Holmes when he dunked on him twice

He also is decent enough slasher , we do have Creek though

The 3 ex Taipans really suffered in their new environment. Taipan Dillon would be good not Tiger Dillon

Bennie Lewis cold be interesting too. Long , lean and athletic with range. Could bring some muh needed swag to the 36ers

Reply #359872 | Report this post

Really  
Years ago

anon, you are obviously only after games in which both tgeams scor over 100 pointsws in 40 minutes.

Reply #359873 | Report this post

No Deal!!  
Years ago

What about Rush? Was played out of position all season...could add some depth on the wing for us.

Reply #359876 | Report this post

Really  
Years ago

Tiger watcher, has Dillon been involved in the walkout? His agent is Paul Bell I believe? Adelaide might be already looking! Walker will stay.

Reply #359883 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

DJ & Trigger - WHOA BOY!!!

Holy no defence and rebounding Batman!

Reply #359885 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ive heard very strong talk re trigger. heavily leaning towards the 6ers by all reports!

Reply #359886 | Report this post

Panther32  
Years ago

If they get trigger I highly doubt I will be renewing my season tickets.
Will be a big step backwards!
As anon said above, DJ isn't the best defender and neither is Ballinger, adding Trigger would make us the worst defensive team in the history of the game!
We would definitely need to get a second ball on court as well to give to Tregardh as DJ won't want to give it up!

Reply #359887 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

WOW i bet Ubaka, Dorsey and Dillon wish they just stayed in Cairns.

Trigger would give us basically the same as Ballinger, and probably not the best fit along side Johnson imo. Would be an ok signing, as him and Johnson could be very dominant offensively but neither are good defensively, so i'd be seeing who else is available, before throwing too much $$ at Trigger.

The main Tiger I would go after is Rush, would also look at Burston as a cheap back up C.

Rush is a SF, where we are already stacked with Weigh and Creek, but aslong as they can all play some minutes at PF or SG it could work ok. KB and Cat were also both SF's and played together for a couple of titles, Weigh and Rush are not bad rebounders so could play PF a bit IMO.

Dorsey or Ubabaka would be ok if we dont have much money left but have a import spot and 10 points available, but wouldnt be my first choice, but would do it if it means we can land a top Aussie (i hope the kings player we are chasing is either Khazzouh or Bose) with the extra import money and still run 2 imports. But imports seem to be likely to be signed last so we have to wait but both could be ok if we dont have huge $$ left after signing our locals.

I personally wouldnt be throwing too much cash at any tigers player, but if we can get say Trigger and Rush at a reasonable price, (Tigers may have to pay some of next years $$?) i would consider it.

Reply #359888 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

If Trigger goes to Adelaide, i'll get a 36ers tattoo. Screenshot this, save it, mark it down, whatever you like.

IF he's released from his contract, he will be going back to Wollongong or MAYBE to NZ. He isn't going to Adelaide.

Reply #359889 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't really care to see either Tragardh or natwhereyouat wearing the 36ers club emblem.

Reply #359893 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You better make a call and tell the hairy biker to to get the ink ready @ NAT.

Reply #359894 | Report this post

BALLER#3  
Years ago

We have a good scoring big of johnson and get an australian defensive centre.

Ballinger if he comes good starts if he doesnt come good then bring him off the bench, with another Aussie PF.

Import SF athletic type with creek off the bench.

I would look for an import 2 guard who can score from outside but can also get into the paint. and Ng off the bench!

Then go with an australian pair of point guards. A pass first as the starter and a defensive point guard that could played together if needed.

Johnson/Aussie
Balls/Aussie
Import/Creek
Import/Ng
Aussie/Aussie

Reply #359897 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Please, please take Trigger! You can have him!

Reply #359898 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

I dont know if I would take any of the Tigers? Perhaps Burston as a back up C but thats about it?!

Trigger is a scorer but is limited to the paint. Ballinger offers a bit more range and a bit better defense.

Rush/Walker - already have Weigh and Creek, would rather give the extra minutes to Creek.

Dillon - maybe? I think Bartlett is a similar player though and probably cheaper along with being a better team man.

Lewis - would rather stick with Ng

Greer - role player, not worth it.

Dorsey - maybe if he is cheap, could try him at the SG position? If recruiting him as a SF though would leave alone as we have Weigh/Creek

Allen - think we can get a better import PG.

I think the Sixers need to recruit players for their positions. Dont recruit a 3rd SF and hope Weigh can fill mins at PF....we've seen this doesnt work with the Tigers.

Reply #359899 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Baller #3.....Weigh is contracted for next season so you might have to adjust your team?!

Reply #359900 | Report this post

Panther32  
Years ago

And Crosswell as well is contracted.

I would be grabbing Dillon at the PG spot with Crossy and then grabbing a import 2 and grabbing Simpson again but I highly doubt we can get him back.

Reply #359901 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I'm with Tornado. Dorsey if he was cheap. Dillon, but to play what role? I'd rather Bartlett again.

I think multi-year deals to Johnson combined with Tragardh could be very risky.

Rush showed some signs this year, but can't see where he'd fit in.

The one that makes slight sense is Burston.

Reply #359904 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Panther 32, Baller#3 had an "Aussie" listed as his back up point so didnt worry about correcting him on that point as it fit with who we currently have.

Simpson is supposedly out of the price range for the NBL now so he definitely wont be back.

Reply #359905 | Report this post

Skud  
Years ago

Corletto must laugh every time he reads the news about the Tigers...screwed him out of a contract into a Championship

Reply #359916 | Report this post

Tigs  
Years ago

Panther, Dillon is a SG (although he thinks he is a point) as he has very sub-par ball handling ability. he would be a decent back up at the 2 over Herbert.

Reply #359924 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

Got a nice spot on my leg for a basketball tat.. But i don't see a 36ers one going there ;)

After this whole Trigger rumor is dead.. I'm going to make a deal with Sav that if the Hawks win another championship before he retires, i'll get his face on my leg.

Reply #359928 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

@Skudd...The Tigers didn't screw Corletto out of a championship at all. He wanted to go so he did. He didn't want to be a bench player while Mills was there but the Tigers wanted him to stay. I don't know why some people make it sound like the Tigers did anything to him.

Reply #359930 | Report this post

BJF  
Years ago

ummm the tigers effectively cut him from the team. he could not have played whilst Mills was on the roster.

Reply #359931 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

@BJF. Untrue. He was offered full pay and everyone knew from the start that Mills was a short term gig. I can certaintly understand why Corletto choose to go as obviously he wanted court time but he wasn't pushed.

Reply #359935 | Report this post

GHOST  
Years ago

I think BJF is on the money could not play until Mills left

Reply #359940 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

anon: you are talking rubbish

he didn't have a contract when the Tigers signed Mills, he got Corletto's roster spot. Gleeson effectively told him that if he wasn't happy waiting to see how long Mills would be playing that he was welcome to look at other options and Lemmanis signed him straight away, Gleeson got all butthurt and Corletto ended up starting and winning a championship, the end

Reply #359941 | Report this post

BJF  
Years ago

hang on

he is a ball player and wants to play.

If he stayed at the Tigers he wouldnt have played until Patty left. And NO one could tell you at season's start how long that would be.

So what if he was on full pay. He wanted to play as he was signed and contracted to do.

It was the Tigers who pushed him out the door.

Reply #359955 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Corletto was already under contract when they signed Patty and told him he would only be a practice player (on full pay) if/when Patty left he would be brought back into the active roster.

He chose to leave, won a championship with the Breakers and signed a new two-year deal with them during the season. Good luck to him.

Reply #359956 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i'd like to see trigger head back to the gong

along with benny lewis to replace soup

sixes should go after burson and dillon

rush should go to sydney

Reply #359958 | Report this post

Greg  
Years ago

Gleeson has been on leave, out of state, for last 2 weeks whilst the new board etc choose his players for him. Guess Anstey is settling the debacle back in Melbourne. Trigger is definitely at the centre of the revolt.

Reply #359965 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yea i wouldnt mind Burston and Dillon at the 36ers, both off the bench, Dillon could start and split the minutes with another solid Aussie or import combo guard,

a guard rotation of import, Dillon, Crosswell, Bartlett could do ok, be similar level to what Cairns had in their GF year so we just need to get the import right, at worse grab Ubaka.

Reply #359966 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Major shit happening at the Tigers- that organisation is a debacle. It calls itself professional? Trigger is the instigator in all of this and now he's going elsewhere from what I hear because Anstey doesn't want him either. That's the word. Who would want to play for Anstey? The guy has the personality of a toothpick and no pro coaching experience.

Reply #359973 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Dillon and Tragardh released:

http://www.nbl.com.au/tigers/news/article/2012/april/daniel-dillon-cameron-tragardh-part-ways-with-melbourne-tigers/

Reply #359977 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

With Dillon and Tragardh released are they the 2 tigers the 36ers are chasing?

As long as we dont pay too much for either both could be ok pick ups, but if we get Tragardh you would have to think Ballinger isnt returning.

Maybe we are looking at a line up like

C Johnson/??Burston

PF Tragardh/Import (Probably in the mould of John Williamson, versatile, athletic can handle the ball and defend SF,PF,C and rebound)

SF Weigh/??Bartlett (Creek can slide to SF and Bartlett plays guard)

SG Creek/Dillon

PG Import/Crosswell

Probably not a huge improvement on this year really, but a healthy Trigger playing a full season is an upgrade on Ballinger i guess due to simply being injury free and playing, Dillon and Bartlett are probably upgrades on Ng and Herbert, but yea no huge improvement on paper if we go with a line up like this.

That guard rotation would be fairly solid, no great 3 pt shooters, but all are ok, and Dillon, Creek, Crosswell and Bartlett are all ok defenders with Creek having the potential to be a really good defender.

My biggest concern is the bigs if we go with this line up but at the end of the day it wouldnt have been much different to this years had we not lost Williamson and Ballinger to injury as Trigger is basically Ballinger, but plays more on the post which may help Johnson a little i guess, offensively it could work really well, but rebounding and defense could be a problem, I guess if we get a import who can grab 8-10 rebounds a game and play solid inside defense and a back up aussie big, Burston, Vandy, Lang, just a big body who plays defense and can rebound is needed, it could work ok, i just wouldnt have Trigger and Johnson on together for too much of the game.

My ideal would be to only sign Trigger if cheap, if not dont bother and then go really hard after the Kings player that Tiger watcher alluded to, the only 2 top doller kings imo are Khazzouh or Bose, anyone else not worth top dollar, but Madgen and Bruce would be solid pick ups at the right price.

I'd prefer us to say get Khazzouh, Dillon, Bose and only go with 1 (cheap if need be) import

how good would a line up of this be

Khazzouh (175k)/?? Vanderjagt (30)
Johnson (150)/??? Dowdell (30)
Creek (120)/Weigh (120)
Bose (150)/Dillon (70)
Import (95)/Crosswell (60)

Aprox salarys in brackets, all seem fairly realistic imo so could work,

not huge depth in the bigs, but Khazzouh and Johnson are both young so happy to gamble neither will get hurt, and if they go down long term sign a import.

Reply #359982 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I don't think Trigger would suit the Sixers or the Hawks. Maybe Perth?

Reply #359983 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Any team that looks at picking up trigger needs their head read.Rumors that this guy has caused more problems at the tigers than any other player ever, even homicide was better this guy sooked faked injuries and back stabbed everyone who got in his face. So 6ers please pick him up, what a joy he will be for Clarke more pain.

Reply #359984 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Trigger not far behind. Anstey's and his mate Sammy have never rated Cam all that highly. Hopefully Sydney make him an offer he can't refuse and save Adelaide from making a bad decision.

Reply #359986 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yea the kings can have Trigger, we want Khazzouh.

Reply #359987 | Report this post

Nino  
Years ago

I really hope Trigger is not the option they are discussing. A: he doesnt play defense, B: he wouldnt come cheap, C: however way you look at it, what he accomplished in the Gong is already behind him, and the current 6ers coach hasnt proved he has the tools to get a Trigger type player back to franchise level.

I just really hope cooler heads prevail on this one. Dillion on the other hand is a very unique prospect, in the right environment could be awesome. Deceptively strong, quick and can make things happen.

Reply #359995 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

I'd be pretty happy if we got Dillon. Handy player.
Tragardh, Johnson and Weigh in the same starting line up... Thought we struggled keeping teams under 100 this year, we'd struggle to keep them under 120 with that setup. 50% of the game is defence. You can't just ignore it and hope for the best.

Reply #359996 | Report this post

Greg  
Years ago

Trigger could easily end up at the Blaze. Wortho thinks himself a bit of a wheeler and dealer in the agent department. He will be def getting an offer delivered.

Reply #360002 | Report this post

crazy  
Years ago

I would like to see Myron Allen at the sixers as he is a solid point guard. On Tiger watch he is averaging 19pp 6rpg and 8.6apg. Solid pick up if they can get him.

Reply #360006 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Those are his averages in Mexico. Adelaide can do much better.

Reply #360009 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

can someone confirm that Melbourne will have to pay those 2 salaries - and then when another team sign them, they pay the difference?

2 guys there that would be highly sought after for that fact by teams that struggle to pay a full salary cap

Reply #360014 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I think they have actually been released from their contracts at their own request, meaning they wont receive any further money from those contracts, so I imagine 'no' is the short answer.

Reply #360017 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ok - all depends on who is leaving who!? got it thx

Reply #360022 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

@ Paul - correct. Dillon couldn't get a straight answer re who was going to coach from Anstey and was given the impression he wasn't wanted from Anstey. Dillon liked playing for Trevor but was sick of the circus. Trigger started this whole thing and thought he could just do to Trevor what he did to Al last year. But because Trev has a good contract it backfired on him. Karma. You get what you give and Trigger got what he gave.

Reply #360024 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Trigger would suit Clarke and his vision of the 36ers perfectly.

No defense, no rebounding and no heart.

Even if you think the above is too harsh, then I accept on the right team, Trigger could be useful. However, a team with DJ and Weigh in the front court is certainly not that team.

If Trigger is signed then can't just blame Clarke but also SOS for giving him obvious full discretion and not knowing much about basketball. Almost 99 percent of the posters on this board identified defense as our major weakness. If we go out and recruit other abysmal defenders then how do we improve?

Would be on our way to back to back wooden spoons.

Dillon is a SG in a PGs body. Not an upgrade on Ng or Bartlett.

Reply #360037 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

FWIW andthefoul.net site says its likely for Trigger to Hawks, Dillon to 36ers, saying Dillon has been on the cards for a while.

A week or so ago, Clarke was in the paper saying they want a Aussie Big and Combo guard, then shortly after TigerWatcher mentions they are talking to a player from the Kings and the Tigers.

So was Dillon the guard Clarke was alluding to? I reckon its an ok signing aslong as they just gave him market value $$. Not a huge upgrade on Bartlett or Herbet, but i think it is an upgrade and no reason we cant keep atleast one of them aswell anyway if we wish.

So if Dillon was the guard, is the big from the Kings, surely it would be Khazzouh?? no other Aussie bigs for the kings worth signing. Obviously targeting a player and signing a player are 2 different things, but would be happy to go with 1 import if we can grab Khazzouh, as he could efectively take Simpsons spot, with some of the moeny freed up from Ballingers contract expiring being added to it to help entice him.

The article seemed to mention it was likely Ng and Bartlett would also be back, are we going for a line up of

C Khazzouh/Johnson and Import will back up C

PF Johnson/IMPORT (John Williamson??)

SF Weigh/Creek

SG Dillon/Bartlett/Ng

PG IMPORT (Cedric Jackson mould would be ideal,or do we bring in Ubaka (on the cheap) and reunite the Cairns GF backourt again?)/Croswell

Looks fairly solid to me and reasonably versatile in most positions.

Reply #360042 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

*** if we cant afford 2 top imports, either Grab a cheap import PG ie Ubaka or a NZBL guy, which should be doable for 50-80k, and a top Import in the other spot.

Or get a top import point guard and a cheap/maybe take a punt on a young Aussie PF/C or at worst grab someone like Dowdell. Wont be huge minutes required anyway, but best choice is to have a import, would love to give Williamson another go so we can see what he can do.

Reply #360043 | Report this post

Really  
Years ago

@Paul, Myron Allen averaged 18, 5 and 5 in China also, is that a dud league? Could the sixers get another quality import such as Gilchrist, or Howard or Groves or .........to many underperformers to count. Allen has experience a good shot and can find the open man.

#just a thought!

Reply #360221 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Yes, China is a low quality league compared to the NBL.

Allen may be a decent fit with smart talent around him so he can use his athleticism, but he is not what the Sixers need. His shot is very wonky, his effort on D is poor and he makes some bad turnovers.

Reply #360222 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:42 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754