Anonymous
Years ago

Should the 6ers target Wilkinson and Jackson?

I know the 36ers have said they are going to leave their imports for last after selecting their Aussie core, but I was wondering if this is the best way?

Given their seems to be a real lack of 'Marquee' Aussies available and willing to come to Adelaide, why dont we have a crack at a couple of successfull, NBL proven imports who i think would be good fits for our team.

It wont be easy as NZ will possibly be able to out bid us, but the thing in our advantage as im assuming they have spent a fair bit of cap space locking up guys like Abercrombie, Vukona, CJ Bruton, Corletto, and even Pledger looks as if he is ready for an increased role and $$ it seemed hinted that he would be getting that, so maybe its not guaranteed NZ will be able to outbid us assuming everyone sticks to the cap, as they have significant local talent locked away.

Lets say Johnson is on 150k, Weigh is on 120k, Crosswell is on 60k and Creek will get 100k.

That leaves us with 570k for 6 spots and 2 starter spots. So i say why dont we offer Jackson and Wilkinson 200k each? It only leaves us with 170k for the reamaing 4 spots ($42k each) but that should be enough for guys like Ng, Bartlett, etc anyway.

I would rather have a really good 7-8 man rotation with a few cheaper players on the end of the bench, with 2 stud proven imports than 10 ok solid players with no real stars and miss the playoffs.

Why would hey leave NZ? This one is hard given they are the reigning champs and seem to be one of the most stable franchises in the NBL.

I think Wilkinson is gettable, as NZ have hinted at giving Pledger a bigger role and probably $$ and reducing Wilkinsons to accomodate this. The 36ers could offer him 200k, i doubt NZ would be able to beat this (assuming the cap is stuck to) and also a big role, he can come in and play 30+ mins and be one of the main players. I also think he would be a good fit along side Johnson, as he seems to play with hustle/ a real fire in his belly and goes at it hard at both ends, and is a decent inside scorer, rebounder and defender IMO. So if im the 36ers atleast have a crack, which Aussie big is realistically going to come to Adelaide that is better than Wilkinson? short of pulling off a miracle recruitment of Khazzouh (which i would think is unlikely) i cant think of one. Would definatly take Wilkinson over spending the money or close to it on a Trigger, Davidson or Crosswhite. If Europe calls for Wilkinson and offers him more then fair enough but atleast have a crack.

Cedric Jackson will probably be a harder one, as i'd say NZ would try harder to keep him as they dont have a top young PG coming through like they do with Pledger in the big man rotation, and CJ Bruton likely took a little less on his next Contract, so id say NZ would put up a harder fight to keep Cedric, but given they have surperior talent to us locked away we may have more cap space to play with. My guess is he will head overseas and if he does good luck to him, but 36ers please atleast make him a 200k offer, having a PG like him would make a huge difference, we could basically bring back last years roster with Cedric and be a much better team IMO.

If we went down this path, it would give us a roster of

C Johnson/?? Trueman
PF Wilkinson/??Dowdell
SF Weigh/Bartlett (Creek will slide to SF)
SG Creek/Ng
PG Jackson/Crosswell

I think that is a roster that could realistically fit in the caps and would be pretty decent. Not a huge amount of depth but Trueman is a good solid big who i think we could offer a few more minutes to as our 3rd big, and Crosswell as our guard 1st off the bench is a pretty good guard rotation giving us a pretty solid 7 man rotation, with Bartlett, Ng, Dowdell all playing their role but in limited minutes.

I cant really see how we can do much better than this line up with recruitng Aussies first, unless they do pull off a miracle signing like a Khazzouh, Newley, Nielsen type, so i think they should give it a crack, and am willing to bet it would be a fair bit better than this years team, still keeping 6 players.

Topic #28193 | Report this topic

Emu  
Years ago

No chance of getting either.
Jackson is NBA level and Wilko to Europe or return to NZ. He wont go to another NBL team.

Reply #360248 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

True but we should still give it a crack.

Agreed Jackson is NBA level but if he doesnt get a contract, which is quite possible, will he look at NBL again? He may be someone who prefers Australia/NZ lifes style over Europe. If it comes down to purely $$ he will probably be gone as surely a Euro team will offer him a good contract as he is legit NBA level player, just as good as Patty Mills IMO.

Wilkinson, not as convinced about, as he reminds me more of a Rychart/Ballinger/Garrison/Horvath type who dont seem to typically get the big Euro $$. If he does good luck to him, im sure he will get some Euro offers but will they be that much more than what 36ers/NBL clubs can compete with, im not sure?

Again have a crack, offer them the best any NBL club can within the cap say around $200k with Euro/NBA outclauses should they get the big offer and put your best foot forward, which is all you can do.

I just think it would be silly to not make them an offer just because they are imports, as would hate for say another Aussie club to sign them at a reasonable price, without us atleast making the offer.

Reply #360250 | Report this post

Observer  
Years ago

Love to get wilko and jacko to sixers team ...not going to happen dream on .

Reply #360256 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If we got Wilkinson, would be the first time id boo a player from the team i support haha Just such an unlikeable chap, with his tin tin looks and awkward celebrations.

Reply #360264 | Report this post

phil  
Years ago

dont see how they would leave a championship team to come to adelaide.

Reply #360265 | Report this post

Really  
Years ago

No Way, better options out there!

Reply #360267 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

I reckon Wilkinson will either go to Europe or accept a lesser role for NZ. The Christian values and tight family atmosphere at the Breakers suits him and his young family as well as the clubs stability so can't see him looking at other NBL clubs. Cedric Jackson, NBA or DLeague or NZ again maybe (if we are super super lucky). Can't see him surviving in Europe away from his family and friends. NZ was his first whole season out of the States and he said the only reason he lasted was because of the guys on the team being all cool and looking out for him, he won't get that many places in the world.
You will struggle to convince players to leave a team they have just won 2 championships with to join the wooden spoon unfortunately.

If both Wilkinson and Jackson both leave, I am confidant that they will be replaced with 2 quality players that will suit the teams needs. Awvee Story was the only real dud import under Lemanis (dud attitude, not skills) so the Breakers American recruiting is pretty decent.

Reply #360269 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mystro you can keep Wilkinson, trust me, this thread doesnt reflect the majority of 36er fans. We need new meat, that will make teams have to think about how to scout. Hopefully Jackson comes back to the NBL, someone has to throw a lot of $ at him, but is a great player to have in this league.

Reply #360272 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nz won't lose Wilkinson to another NBL team. He was the leading scorer in the last two finals games. I doubt if they will drop his salary enough to lose him.
And Jackson I would say a better chance then wilko. But both will probably be going overseas.

Reply #360275 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Those guys to the Sixers?
if they can afford them go for it. If they can afford them, why havent they had decent imports long before now?

Reply #360279 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

A poster earlier this week indicated that taxation issues affect the comparative value of Australian and NZ contracts. The figure quoted was players being around 20% better off in NZ relative to an equal (gross) value contract in Australia. If that's so (I don't know but would not be surprised if it is), then a $170,000 contract for the Breakers would be better than a $200,000 contract with the 36ers.

This set me to wondering about how often Breakers' players have been successfully head-hunted by other NBL teams, compared to how often Australian based players have been successfully head-hunted by the Breakers. These are players that were wanted by their original team, not rejected players like Redhage.

How much of the Breakers' success at keeping players is their emphasis on recruiting and retaining local players (they've always had a core of Tall Blacks), how much any differential taxation advantage, and how much about the team culture? I discount the success argument as they have not always been successful and yet have been able to hold onto good players.

Reply #360286 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I love the start of this tread where someone actually offers another human being $42k a year and says " that should do them" and moves on, it's hillarious!

Reply #360304 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good point, cos the NZ dollar is worth sfa Vs the ozzie battler. Taxation meh. Kiwi pounds arent worth a lot. Maybe its the off the books hamburgers that count. If CJ is there the $NZ are there. Oh thats right CJ is a yank ;)

Reply #360306 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Mystro, Adelaide is called the City of Churches so we might be in for a change with Wilkinson :P

I would be very happy with either of those players as they are both top 5 NBL players. Preferably I would rather get Jackonson, that guy can do it all. However, I know we have close to zero chance of getting either player.

Someone mentioned that they wouldn't want either player as they would rather a new player that teams don't have scouted yet. I would rather players that have been scouted yet continue to dominate rather then an import that dominates the first couple of games and then other teams work them out and is a dud.

Reply #360324 | Report this post

KB3  
Years ago

in almost 30 years of basketball the 36ers have recruited Farley and Brooks as "site unseen" imports of any success.

Even then Brooks was 3 years NBA so was fairly well qualified to play

Farley therefore would be the only successful import the 36ers could lay claim to bringing to OZ

Perhaps you could put Gilchrist down as a success because IMO he was initially, his tapering off was more to guidance issues than capacity.

We have done best with Mee, Rose types who have been recruited or discarded by other teams

36ers should be throwing a loot at Jackson. Would also show other teams / potential recruits that the 36ers are serious at being a contender.

Reply #360328 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If the 'loot' is avaialable why hasnt it been done previously and saved the fans a lot of greif??

Reply #360332 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

last season would have been harder with Ballingers contract on the books, and we tried recruiting fresh faces, id prefer them to go with guys who have played NBL before and have done fairly well.

I wouldnt be against even a Orien Greene type, aswell if we cant get Jackson, was solid all round import for the Breakers, avaeraged around 13 pts, 5 assists, 2 stls not as good as Jackson but a better PG than Chris Warren, so would be a upgrade and he has been playing D-League fairly successfully since leaving NBL, even a brief stint in the NBA last year from memor

Reply #360383 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Orien Greene? Piere Wooten might be more like it if the money isn't there.

Reply #360387 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Breakers have bought some decent Imports into the league. Awvee Story has been Lemanis's only dud to date.
Orien Greene wasn't bad but didn't have anywhere near Cedric Jacksons speed and ball handling skills, he had a bit more size tho.
Rich Melzer was good enough to get an NBA gig after the Breakers.
Pre Lemanis, Ricardo "Carlos" Powell was a beast offensively (2007 leading scorer and all NBL 1st team).
Kevin Braswell was pretty good
Wilkinson was all NBL first team last year and 2cnd team this year (should have been in the 1st team instead of Worthington this year)
Jackson was a stand out all NBL first team

Reply #360392 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

KB3 - was Davis not "sight unseen"? Hadn't he only played in Mexico and NZ (after college) before Cole signed him to the 36ers in 1985? Or had he played non NBL locally?

And was Jones recruited from another NBL or local team or was he also sight unseen?

Brunson also did okay in his season with the 36ers, before going on to play NBA for a number of years.

Was Butch Hays sight unseen? To my memory he was. If Gilchrist was an early success, then I'd rate Hays as successful. Especailly as Hays played out a 9 year career in the NBL after Adelaide recruited him in 1991.

Reply #360399 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:04 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754