Batdad
Years ago

NBA Legends tour....why not Australia?

Allen Iverson is currently in China for the next two weeks as part of an NBA Legends Tour that will play seven exhibition games in six cities across central and southern China. Shorty after getting on the ground from the U.S. yesterday morning, he fielded questions from Chinese reporters and when when asked if he'd consider playing in the CBA next season, he replied: "Why not?" Iverson has been out of professional basketball since January 2011, when he left Turkish outfit Besiktas after he injured his right calf muscle. This is not the first time Iverson has been linked with a move to the CBA: He flirted with the idea of playing in China in the summer/fall of 2010 and had several serious offers, including a reported $4 million contract from Foshan. Iverson ended up declining Foshan and all other teams, and signed a two-year deal with Bestikas shortly after in October. NIUbball

Besides Iverson and Marbury, the tour includes Dennis Rodman, who also landed with Iverson in Shanghai yesterday, as well as Clyde Drexler and Shawn Kemp. The Legends team will play the first three games against Marbury and the Beijing Ducks, the first of which is tomorrow night in Cixi, Zhejiang province. They’ll then play their next three against the Shanxi Zhongyu Brave Dragons, who lost to Beijing in the semi-finals this season, before playing the Chinese U-23 Olympic National Team in Taiyuan, Shanxi province, for the finale. NIUbball

Would it be possible to get this team to come here to Australia? It would be great for Basketball in the country and could play NBL teams for preseason games. This would boost interest in the sport, get some media attention and attention for NBL clubs and fill stadiums.

Topic #28195 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

I could maybe organise my Thursday night team to scrimmage against them if you like?

Reply #360302 | Report this post

Emu  
Years ago

The NBL couldn't pull this off. Can't even arrange reasonable TV coverage of their playoffs. LOL

Reply #360333 | Report this post

Jake  
Years ago

Unless it is bank rolled by the corpprates it is not worth their time. Money talks so if we are prepared to pay they will come

Reply #360376 | Report this post

hoopie  
Years ago

It will be a big rip-off by the time everyone takes their cut. It might get people interested as a special occasion, but not as a show-case for basketball.
However, I think it will leave a bad taste when they have to fork out a huge amount of $$$ to see a bunch of 'stars' going through the motions against the 'best' the NBL can offer.

Anyone remember Kareem's Daedals when they came out here?

Reply #360396 | Report this post

fstos  
Years ago

I don't understand why anyone would want to fork out top dollar to see a bunch of overweight EX stars running around. Sport without the heat and uncertainty of true competition offers nothing in my way of thinking. But on the other hand people today pay top dollar to watch wrestling or to see a live(?) act that is dominated by props,dancing and lip sinking rather than the talent of the musos and the message they bring, so the fanboi market obviously exists.That belief is just confirmed by the majority of posters on here.

Reply #360623 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:25 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754