Triton 60
Years ago

Div 1 Open Season for State Champs

This week will be all about the players that step up and come to play. As most divs are wide open. Could not believe some of the results this weekend. Some teams on fire, others have had the fire leave them.

Best game this weekend anyone ?

Topic #28204 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

18 boys, the battles between Forestville, sturt and southern will be worth watching

Reply #360479 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think Sturt will destroy all in the U18 men.

Reply #360483 | Report this post

eagles nest  
Years ago

IMO -

forestville will win overall this year.
sturt runners up

but after that it is wide open and several clubs will be vying for 3rd.

state girls forestville - by a mile
reserve girls forestville - comfortably

state boys - sturt - just
reserve boys sturt

forestville should get enough points in state boys and finish 2nd or 3rd there and that will be enough for overall.

it would take at least 2 forestville state teams to drop out unexpectedly for them to lose overall.

Reply #360484 | Report this post

Crush Sturt  
Years ago

Woodville, North, and south 18 boys if you can't beat sturt, do everyone a favor and make sure they can't win!!!

Reply #360499 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

West will rip apart the under 16G states.

Reply #360525 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Norwood under 18 boys, have been strong last fews weeks, beat forestville by 4 two weeks ago..?? Lost to Southern last week but are competitive...?? maybe?

Reply #360552 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Norwoods boys aren't a shot in 18's might make classics but that's all

Reply #360561 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

The pools in the boys state comps work to Forestville's advantage because in all four of those pools they share it with Sturt.

This means that they are likely to go 1st or 2nd in pool A. U14 Boys state has pesky Norwood in the same pool, so Forestville may miss out there if they can't beat one of Sturt or Norwood. That Forestville-Norwood clash occurs on Thursday at 7 at Wayville 1 so that'll be the match of the carnival. Pity, I was looking forward to it being the last game of the minor round (at Wayville) Norwood go in after playing Sturt 2 hrs before, Forestville with a morning game, then a bye before the clash.

After the minor rounds, 1 & 2 play 1 & 2 in the other pools so this means that Forestville can lose the Sturt once, and has the potential second bite at Sturt. They could potentially rest players or go easy against Sturt in the minor round, lulling them into a false sense of pride, knowing they will meet them again in the grand final if they finish 2nd in their pool and knock off the 1st in pool B.

The SF matches for the Boys U12 & U16 State are at Adelaide Arena, U14 & U18 Boys State are at Wayville - a master stroke of planning

Reply #360563 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jack, love your abl write ups!!!

BUT!.. You are so wrong here... Forestville have as much chance beating sturt and norwood as black caviar has of coming 3rd in her next race.

For mine it will be Southern, Centrals, Sturt, Norwood in the top 4.

Reply #360577 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

I assume you are talking U14 Anon? That first game will decide everything.

14 State Boys looks like it may go:

Pool A: Norwood, Sturt
Pool B: Tigers, Centrals

SF: Norwood v Centrals & Tigers v Sturt

Reply #360581 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Don't know what is happening with Southern. Lose to North last week then beat Norwood this week. Can't see them finishing top 2 of their pool which is the pool of death with all clubs having a chance to finish top 2 if they bring their best game. Norwood and Sturt GF as they will have a much much easier run to the GF

Reply #360600 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jack,

Considering Woodville made the Grand Final over summer they should at least make top 4. Your obvious Centrals bias is showing.

Reply #360602 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Some teams tend to go backwards and some improve at a faster rate. Woodville just haven't improved despite initially having some strong talent.

Reply #360608 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dont you mean some clubs do a better job of poaching talent. ie Centrals

Reply #360621 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Surely Centrals haven't poached players from Norwood who have set the benchmark in poaching in recent years.

Reply #360625 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thoughts on the Under 14 Girls?

Given this year the Nationals is in Adelaide how many teams will they take?

Obviously Forestville are the standout but Centrals and Mavericks have recruited heavily from SA country and Sturt took South and Norwoods best players after Summer season.

Reply #360626 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not sure that its any benefit to Woodville if they miss out on top 4 where it came from.

Poaching is poaching. You can still hear all the centrals crying about it happening one way. But its not like they stop it happenig the other.

And this affects all the teams, not just Norwood.

Reply #360627 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

U14G State

This could be an very interesting division.

Pool A: Eagles and Tigers are undefeated this winter season with both teams showing daylight between them and the other 3 pool teams (North, Norwood, West) their game will be a great game.
Pool B: Sturt, South, Centrals, Mavs. As one poster above noted, Mavs and Centrals full of state country players. South look like the easybeats, they have beaten North & Norwood, but narrow losses to Centrals & Mavs. This pool is wide open.

Reply #360643 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There is nothing wrong with kids moving in between seasons to get better opportunities and development. I'm pretty sure that's what happened in this case.

Reply #360646 | Report this post

Honest John  
Years ago

In the u/14 boys unfortunately i don't see Southern making the top 4 as they are too inconsistant and not disciplined enough

Reply #360649 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

646 there is nothing wrong with kids moving for opportunities I agree, but when a certain club steals players with the promise of free fees and uniforms then that is a problem! Next they will be buying parents 4WD's

Reply #360652 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If these kids were moving to Sturt or Forestville then everyone would be screaming poaching-poaching.

Ahh the hypocracy

Reply #360674 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nope, because Sturt don't poach. Only Norwood and West Adelaide have a proven rep for poaching.

Reply #360675 | Report this post

MS  
Years ago

West Adelaide..?
Haven't seen a poached kid around these parts since the 80's
What drugs are you on?

Reply #360677 | Report this post

vesta  
Years ago

Most clubs poach, including Sturt. Anyone who gets on here and says Sturt don't poach obviously are so far removed from the inner circle at Pasadena that they have no idea what really goes on. But anyway, why are we even raising that? Good luck to all at State Champs.

Reply #360680 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

U/18 Boy from South.

Numerous Woodville girls.

Reply #360681 | Report this post

VOT  
Years ago

552 and 561 - Nowrood 18 Boys always seem to be better in winter than in summer. This year though they are not as good as the top 3. It's between Sturt, Southern and Forestville, Norwood probably in fourth.

Reply #360691 | Report this post

TNT  
Years ago

Southern Tigers will win U18 1 girls. They are backing themselves with a fair amount of confidence.

Reply #360696 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

vesta,

seems that all club do.

Reply #360711 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

TNT southern won't get close in the 18 girls just like their boys team will fade into obscurity!!

Reply #360821 | Report this post

Poaching  
Years ago

Ah Vesta.Poaching. I think that you are wrong, wrong, wrong. kids move clubs for a couple of reasons. Parents ego, Kids being bullied or poor coaching.

What can clubs offer ? Money !!!! No coaching & facilities.

You want to poach get good coaches at your club upgrade your facilities. Kids then move to your club. (thats not poaching). As for the Norwood poaching from other clubs. No way. It has always been facilities and coaching why kids move there. Where would you rather play ? Hillcrest Tin Shed or Mars ?

As for Sturt, Yes Vesta secret meetings deep underground working out how to recruit a 12 year old. Dream on. Agree with one comment. To all the kids enjoy the game and have a great weekend.

Reply #360833 | Report this post

annon  
Years ago

821...Southern will do better than you think in their pool.
Sturt have girls out due to injury and school formals...Not sure if F/Ville has their best player back from China but the talent gap has closed in on some of their other better players.

Southern has a very good recruit from Mildura., but not much on their bench.

Should be some close games. 3 good teams vying for a top 2 place for Classics.

Reply #360838 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So anon you talk it up saying how great your team is when you are comparing it teams who are down on personal... You guys are getting more and more desperate every season.

Reply #360853 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Poaching

I don't think kids move to new facilities once they have already been at a club. I think the facilities may be the initial attraction to a club but once a selection is made will only in rare cases be the reason for a move.

I think a major reason for moving is uneducated parents being blinded by promises or by not actually believing what coaches are saying about their child at an existing club. "It can't be my child having a problem or a need to work on their skills it is the coach's or club's problem"

I know many state or potential state kids moving to other club based on a perceived benefit of the move who no longer play basketball and in some cases kids are returning or trialling with the club from which they moved.

People make this out to be black and white but with such an emotional subject most issues are grey at best.

Reply #360854 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The above poster is right. In my experience kids that move clubs have problems and those problems miraculously follow them. They figure out that the problems from their club DID in fact originate from themselves but by the time they figure it out its too late for them so they quit or take up social hoops.

The best kids have parents that help their kids learn to work through their perceived problems.

Reply #360874 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As a school teacher, I agree! I see so many kids that move school due to problems at the old school. Sometimes, those being bullied are the bullies but the parents just don't see it. There are kids who act like angels at home and go feral at school. Parents only hear the kids side.

Reply #360877 | Report this post

lo68  
Years ago

"Poaching" - you really are off with the pixies aren't you? How charmingly naive of you.

Reply #360879 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thank goodness your not my children's teacher, take a good hard look at your comment and think a little.

Reply #360889 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

853 you a sturt or forestville parent?? Bit early for the excuse book isn't it?

Reply #360893 | Report this post

Hoff 46  
Years ago

Poaching:stop bagging hillcrest, check out what you guys get from basketball sa
Before u start canning other clubs. Had a bad Friday did we ?

Reply #360906 | Report this post

hoff46  
Years ago

hey guys,north 16 boys and girls will win,the 16 b res might surprise and the 14 b state will do well.good luck to all the kids .

Reply #360911 | Report this post

G.....T  
Years ago

Poaching is against the bylaws so I'm sure that no club does this.

Reply #361075 | Report this post

;)  
Years ago

Well Southern girls did beat Sturt very interesting, Sturt 18 girls may miss classics if they lose to Forestville which I imagine they will.Good job southern

Reply #361125 | Report this post

Loyalty will win  
Years ago

Poaching... Clubs do poach, offer everything, Do same as previous club, rarely pays off!

Over the years we have had good coaches and bad coaches, clashes with other kids, friends made for life.. but at no point was it an option to move clubs.. Teaching your kids not to bail everytime things dont go your way is a good life skill lesson!

People always think it will greener on the otherside, fact is most clubs, coaches operate within the same parameters...

Reply #361172 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The umpiring at Pasadena tonight was terrible I felt sorry for the losing team as we won but not without help and full on bias

Reply #361181 | Report this post

Star wars  
Years ago

Should try the Refs at starplex one good umpire with a Harry potter wannabe that thinks his shit don't stink, watched another game and there was a hobbit umpiring (well he had a whistle in his mouth and he only walked up and down the court) Harry nearly got punched in the head!

Reply #361186 | Report this post

Really  
Years ago

Nice try anon, could be that you really lost now, couldn't it!

Reply #361188 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thought the refs at mars were great

Reply #361189 | Report this post

;)  
Years ago

refs at Hillcrest last night absolutely hopeless blind deaf and certainly dumb. And ugly.

Reply #361190 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thought the refs at mars were great

Reply #361191 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I would say a common theme is occuring here with one/two days of champs down. The standard of ref is probably at an all time low. There will be excuses, they will wring their hands and none of the issues will be addressed so expect next year to be worst if that is at all possible. Some arse kissing at BSA must stop and action takened by holding the people in charge accountable.

Reply #361193 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

889, if he/she was your teacher you might have understood the rules and why it should be 'you're'.
As for poaching of course it happens and who cares.

On to the the 'umps'. Would you do it? I wouldn't and I couldn't.
Most of the officials out there are trying their best and many are not as good as they would like to be but as long as they are giving their best I'm on their side.

BUT a small minority of male and females who are whistling while they work have an agenda and blatantly disregard fair play. It shouldn't be too hard to weed the garden surely and get rid of these cheats who give the whole community a bad name.

Reply #361204 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

One thing the refs never seem to pickup is the "bonking push" on the ball handler.

Reply #361216 | Report this post

eagles nest  
Years ago

woohoo on the way to wayville .... title town

Reply #361234 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jack I think refs call this too much! You cant hand check is one thing and thats fair enough. If offense is trying to get to the basket how is the defender meant to stop them without using his/her body. It thought/think refs arre supposed let this contact go!?!?!?!

Reply #361238 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

I'm not talking under the basket when players are posting up.

Too many times you see a ball handler dribbling the ball down court and then you see their guard + the trap come over and bonk them with pelvic thrusts like some bull fighter.

Please don't tell me that you think that if a guard enters the ball handler's space with the sole intention of making contact to push them off balance that is not a foul.

Reply #361242 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

For a teenage boy to do it to another teenage boy is potentially very awkward.

Reply #361243 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:22 pm, Thu 28 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754