Mick
Years ago

Schenscher Leaves Crocs

Just saw it on the news. Crocs camp didn't want to pony up the dough.

This team should be blown up entirely now. He was our best passer and distributor, and the whole offense went through him.

CEO Ian Smythe calling this departure an "opportunity" for the Crocs is a bit of a slap in the face.

Topic #28206 | Report this topic

We were amazed to hear this, one of the NBL's most underrated stars!!!

Reply #360517 | Report this post

JOaRiDrAN  
Years ago

I'll have him back at the Sixers. Luke will actually pass from the post unlike DJ who thinks once it's dropped down low it has to be thrown up. They can be our twin towers.

Reply #360520 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They would work very well together, 36ers must swoop surely! Having a decent big in the middle changes the look of your team immediately! Has played with Weigh too which would be a bonus, as no one looked like they gelled last season!

Reply #360521 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Replace Balls or Helliwell on the roster with Schench. Start Schench at 5, DJ at 4.

Reply #360523 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Crocs didn't pony up on the cash???? You are way out of touch! Stop spreading shit!

Reply #360527 | Report this post

A.W  
Years ago

Melbourne have the need for a big bloke as well as the points and cash to make a big offer if they wanted.

Reply #360528 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

TigerWatcher - Where is he going?

Reply #360529 | Report this post

Muzz Buzz  
Years ago

Big Red + DJ = instant best front court in the NBL

big season ahead for the 36ers

Reply #360530 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

Back to Gleeson?

Crocs dont pony up dough means out of 36ers league?

Anon if that's wrong feel free to fill us in?

Reply #360534 | Report this post

?  
Years ago

Ok, the points allocation has been released:

Adam Ballinger 8 Points
Daniel Johnson 8 Points
Steven Weigh 7 Points
Daren Ng 5 Points
Mitch Creek 4 Points
Ev Bartlett 4 Points
Jan Walbout 1 Point - development
-------------
37 points
-------------
33 points left, I would grab the following:

Luke Schencher 9 Points
Brad Newley 10 Points
Import combo guard 10 points
Nathan Herbert 4 points - retain him due points

Reply #360535 | Report this post

?  
Years ago

* I should have said pass first import point guard

Reply #360536 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The 36ers need to bring Big Luke home.

Reply #360540 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Come on 36ers make him the best possible offer, basically offer him the import big spot, and go with 1 import if need be, would be great to have a top SA player back with the 36ers!

Reply #360541 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

Brad Newley is not returning to the NBL next season, the faster people realise this the better off their life will be.

It's funny seeing seeing all the 36er fans jump at every possible player.. In saying that, sure Schenscher is a chance but really, he chases money more than anything. Melbourne will likely offer him the most cash, but if i was a betting man i'd say he will be signing in Euro. Hope i'm wrong and he stays.

Reply #360542 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Schensch could earn a lot more money overseas but he's not exactly playing for chicken feed in the NBL (could've easily picked up his option for good money to return to the Crocs next season).

DJ (face up offence) and Schensch (low-post offence & excellent passer out of the post) would be an intriguing option for the 36ers. Doesn't look like Balls is coming back and Simpson obviously isn't so as I said before come on SOS make it happen.

Reply #360543 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

DJ and Big Red and zone the crap out of people.

Reply #360546 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agreed about offering him the import type spot. You know what your getting with him, he's more marketable and this fan base needs something and someone to get behind.

Reply #360547 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

His assist numbers are the intriguing part for me. Put a few decent three point shooters around him and go from there. Could also see him working at the Hawks.

Reply #360550 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Trigger won't be at the 36ers!!

Reply #360555 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

C Schenscher/Ballinger
F Johnson/Tragardh (kidding! a 9 point player with some D)
F Weigh/Creek
G Import/Ng
G Crosswell/Bartlett

= 70pts

Reply #360557 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

KET i like it, BUT id swap Balls for a 7 player, who can give key minutes off the bench and hopefully a veteran voice! With the extra point from that id turn that trigger joke into a 10 gun import. But the structure is there with a lineup like that, which simply hasnt been there the last couple of seasons.

Reply #360558 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Forget one import, let's bring Luke Home !

Reply #360559 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i'd say gold coast or tigers would be looking pretty hard at him

Reply #360562 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I hope we get either Schenscher, Neville or Khazzouh, if we cant get one of them id probably just go with a import big.

Reply #360576 | Report this post

The Brad  
Years ago

Let's be realistic though it seems Luke does seem to chase the cash a bit, what has it been 3 teams in 4 years? So if that is still the case then I would put MY money on him landing at Melbourne.
I don't think he would be that suited to Europe as he can't shoot the 3 and every single player over there shoots the 3!

Reply #360590 | Report this post

Dry Back  
Years ago

The whole "Crocs camp didn't want to pony up the dough" is crap from what I understand. Luke had a player option at a salary in the top 2-3 players in the league and all reports was that he was going to take up that option(according to the Crocs CEO, 80% chance), then when the day the option expired he decided to walk.

The news article makes it sound like he has cut all ties with the club, but I feel like its probably his agent in his ear hoping to get 10% of a bigger pie testing the market. As said before, this came as a bit of a shock to everyone at the club as it appeared Luke was very happy there. As a Crocs supporter I would love it if he had a change of heart and decided to stay, but I doubt the club will be waiting for this and instead pursuing other opportunities as they arise, Hopefully for the betterment of the team.

Reply #360594 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

The Brad, there's plenty of big guys in Europe who dont shoot the three!!

Reply #360597 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Didnt see Helliwell dropping too many threes.

Reply #360599 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You heard it here first, Schenscher will be a 36er. Feel free to treat this as a rumor Issac!!

Reply #360604 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Already heard it a few other places and threads before you. I'm hearing it about the 6th time now.

Reply #360607 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Luke is 29 without a sturdy body, the chances to play in his home town are running out, so youd have to think he'd be considering it pretty hard.

Reply #360609 | Report this post

Same Anon  
Years ago

So it is true then Skip?

Reply #360610 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

I dont think DJ and Schenscher would be a good idea. Not for DJ anyway, unless he bulks up alot in the offseason. Actually, he should try to bulk up either way.

Reply #360613 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Same Anon - No idea.

According to the rumours Tragardh, Schenscher, Dillon, Dorsey and Creek are all signing with the Sixers.

Reply #360615 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

and Newley...and Neilsen...oh and Wortho

But getting Big Luke back would be a massive coup and a shot in the arm for the club.

Reply #360617 | Report this post

Cally  
Years ago

My girlfriend speaks with Dorsey, he has stated to her, he has signed with Melbourne Tigers for another year.

Reply #360618 | Report this post

Mel  
Years ago

Cally, Yes he is contracted for another year as was Cam & Daniel. Doesn't mean he is staying! He has told me personally he has his agent looking overseas for him right now for a better offer and environment!

Reply #360638 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

After Dorsey's last season his agent will have to pull a rabbit out of a hat! He was woeful, and no new team cares about the team situation the players had to endure, they see stats PERIOD! If he came dirt cheap Adelaide should look at him, especially as a 3point option for Schenscher to kick out too IF Adelaide can lock Luke away!

Reply #360641 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

Schenscher, Dillon, Dorsey - Won't be in adelaide next year.

Schen - Chasing the $$$

Dillon - wants to head back to the better weather

Dorsey - Melb or Europe as no one else in NBL wants him

Reply #360647 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I can now say that tigerwatcher is off the money. His above comments aren't entirely correct. Hopefully he's off the money about trigger too.

Reply #360648 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

@Tiger watcher, Schenscher is done and dusted, the chase is over.

Reply #360651 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

Luke has hit his peak, honestly don't see him being any better than he was in 2010-11. Or close to it. Let him chase the money o/s i say.

Reply #360655 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nat u wreak of hater, no proof what do ever of that. Guy came off hip surgery and was one of the crocs best down the stretch.

Reply #360658 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Luke would be a great pairing with dj
Dj/Luke
Williamson/balls (points permitting)
Weigh/creek
Bartlett/ng
John gilchrist/crosswell

Reply #360706 | Report this post

Muzz Buzz  
Years ago

I too have wondered what Gilchrist would be like under Marty , has got good work habits and responds well to clear direction

Reply #360707 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

John is back playing, in Israel I think. He is big and strong, likes to defend, great handles, can get to the rim and loves to find the open man.

Reply #360708 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

By big and strong you mean barley 6'0, and still has a screw loose? Wouldn't touch him. 6ers need a VETERAN american point guard, someone tried and true. Doesnt have to put up 30, just distribute and keep the younger guys composed. In other words a floor general leader.

Reply #360709 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

His 6ft 1 height didn't stop him from dominating the league before. He is an explosive machine. He has proven here before that he is willing to do whatever it takes to get the win. Assuming we get Luke he would find him underneath the rim at will as he did with burston. But I will agree he is a different cat.

Reply #360712 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That 6ers team finished last. He isnt a winner, id be trying a more level headed veteran. We have the scoring power already, and IF we get Schenscher, a decent level head down low, this team needs a floor general who can utilise the offense around him. Gilchrist dribbled around ran out the shot clock and forced the issue. This should be a dead issue IMO.

Reply #360713 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If we get Schensch should we look at Will Blalock, played with Schenscher at the Crocs, was a pass first point guard, solid/strong build and could hold his own defensively? I reckon he would be a good fit.

I also wouldnt mind seeing how Williamson and Gilchrist combo work, Gilchrist was exciting when he was here, and Williamson sounded exciting by all reports.

Reply #360714 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Short memories re Gilchrist, that dance he used to do alone was cringe worthy haha Blalock was solid, and would be hungry to make some people eat their words about his game. Thats the type of veteran the team needs to work with imo, but so many more out there too, that havent been scouted.

Reply #360715 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

In 2010, Gilchrist scored 17 ppg, got 5.7 rebounds per game and dished 4.3 assists per game. He shot the 3 at 35%. Those numbers are not far off Brett Maher's averages on better teams. e.g., Maher averaged 18, 4 and 3, shooting 3s at 38% on the 1998-99 championship team (regular season stats).

It's interesting too that Ng's 3 point percentage with Gilchrist at point guard was 46% - way better than he shot this year. It does make me wonder what his game is like now, 2 years later and having recovered from a serious injury - which may have changed his mental and physical approach to the game. He's now 28 and heading towards "veteran" point guard status. Anyone know what he's playing like now in Israel?

Reply #360718 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Would be a massive risk for a club that can potentially turn things around very quickly at this point. No need to take risks on your PG, im not too concerned with the stat line, he was always going to get his. His play in key moments within games that stats dont cover wasnt good, very erratic, over dribbled very often. Leave that in the past, so many PG's out there, numerous NBL teams are bringing them in year after year. Leave JG in the past.

Reply #360720 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

PC has said before that him returning was largely dependent on Schensch signing. Having the big ranga in the middle opens up PC's outside game.

Reply #360722 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Would LOVE PC at the 6ers just quietly! Imagine that Croc double recruit...

Reply #360732 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

yea PC would be the perfect pick up with Schenscher, give us good outside shooting and defensive hustle on the perimiter.

Reply #360739 | Report this post

Aussiebballer  
Years ago

If they get Luke then 3pt shooters would have to be a big priority.
Ng and Crawford would be a good SG combo with Johnson and Luke as the bigs.

They would also need a passing PG as some have suggested.

If they need to save money for a gun player at another position would Crosswell and Cadee be good enough???

Also Creek needs to concentrate on his 3pt shot this offseason.
If he can improve his 3pt% it will make it a lot easier to drive and we will get to see more dunks :)

Reply #360741 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Or even just his midrange shot.

Reply #360743 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Newsflash: Crawford isn't playing for an inexperienced coach like Clarke; the guy hates losing.

Schenscher always has and always will just go where the money is, which you can't really blame him for. If you extrapolate an NBL players salary over their entire working life, it's not good.

Reply #360884 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gee we are quick to move him on Boys??

Reply #448035 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:05 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754