Wayne
Years ago

Greece and NZ and Olympics

Just reading about the Boomers playing Greece and I wondered if Greece had actually qualified.

Stumbled on to this website.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012_FIBA_World_Olympic_Qualifying_Tournament

Seems like a fair draw for NZ too possibly facing Greece for a spot at the Olympics and then another chance if they lose.

Also I reckon it can't be a bad thing playing so many games close to the actual games. The perfect preparation I would have thought

Topic #28210 | Report this topic

Avv  
Years ago

yeah going from a high pressure tournament of a handful of games pretty much straight to the olympics could be a good thing for the qualifiers for sure.

Reply #360587 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Greece have not yet qualified and are using the 3-game series against the Boomers as a warm up for the Olympic qualification event in Venezuela as mentioned in other threads.

Olympic qualification tournament for those successfull would be a fabulous lead in to London...

Reply #360612 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

I don't think it would be good preparation at all.

Its not a friendly warm up/usual preparatory game, where you can spread minutes and try new combinations.

All the games at these qualification tournaments are do or die type games with gritty defense.

The teams that make the Olympics from the qualifying tournament will be tired emotionally and physically come London.

Reply #360645 | Report this post

ANON12  
Years ago

MACDUB - I would have thought the opposite. Certainly a tournament such as the qualifiers will be tough, but IMO the teams that qualify would be pumped and on a high going into London. European countries such as Greece have an amazing following and are incredibly emotional about playing for their country and that will more than compensate for the rigours of qualifying.

Reply #360683 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:29 pm, Tue 23 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754