Mick
Years ago

Crocs: "PC may have priced himself out"

http://www.townsvillebulletin.com.au/article/2012/05/02/326971_sport.html

Topic #28223 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

Pay up. Not a whole lot of scorers who can also defend in the league.

Reply #360756 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

The Tigers made Crawford an offer last year, but I believe it was below what he ended up signing for in Townsville. Given that they've cleared the roster, the Tigers should be straight on the phone with PC's agent agreeing to this two-year deal.

Reply #360757 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

I think he's worth good $

Reply #360768 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Are we seeing trouble for the Tigers, Crocodiles and Breakers?

Tigers cutting Tragardh, Dillon, their squad is disgruntled and looking for outs - Schenscher leaving the Crocs, PC possibly leaving, Wilkinson most likely forced out of the Breakers and Jackson as well?

Then there's the Kings who could lose Kazzouh and a few other players - big advantage for the 36ers, Taipans, Hawks?

Reply #360769 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This Ian Smythe character doesnt seem to use the media well to his advantage!

Reply #360774 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

PC would fill a very big void at the SG position for the 6ers!!

Reply #360775 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

Hawks major handicap is that they're only offering 1 year deals. So rule out players like PC, Luke (both) etc.. All looking for longer deals.

I wouldn't say Breakers are in trouble, it's just about shuffling the roster a little. Sure, they'll lose a player here or there. It's the nature of it when you factor in player points cap.

PC wants to stay in Townsville, he just doesn't want the stress of worrying about a job at the end of the year when he was the club MVP, rightfully so. I say pay him.

Reply #360777 | Report this post

kobe24  
Years ago

6ers need to be enquiring about this situation. If im PC im pissed that the club during negotitions goes to the media like this. Seems like weak tactics to me

Reply #360781 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Breakers can sign two imports and still be under the points cap.

Reply #360782 | Report this post

grindog  
Years ago

Love to see him in Adelaide.Get it done along with these others.

Schenscher (10) / Garlepp (4)
Johnson (8) / Ballinger (8)
Weigh (7) / Creek (4)
Crawford (9) / Ng (5)
Import (10) or Bruce (7) / Crosswell (6)

Reply #360790 | Report this post

Eazy  
Years ago

Eazy decision, if the 36ers could sign Luke & Peter instead of two imports I would be all for it.

Your team also has Gerlepp & Bruce who are both low on points and assuming Ballinger is fit then keep him also.

If you signed PC for 2 years it would be better than bringing imports in and you can get an import after he retires

Reply #360788 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

I thought 36ers fans hated Aaron Bruce?

Reply #360792 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Are we seeing trouble for the Tigers, Crocodiles and Breakers?

like last season when we lost Penney? Lmao

Reply #360793 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

Really? you guys jump on anyone and think they will be a good fit.

Delaney is probably available, might be a good back up point gaurd option for the 6ers?

Reply #360794 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Axel, in farness he would be a good fit at this stage in just about any team. But he does fill a hole at the Sixers. Not sure you could get it done with all those other deals though.

Reply #360800 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

*alexkrad*

Reply #360801 | Report this post

The Brad  
Years ago

@natwhereyouat...only when he's playing for us...like every other player when we suck. I'm pretty sure we hated Schenscher too when he played for us!

Reply #360806 | Report this post

Flinders80  
Years ago

PC is 32

No way I'd throwing top dollar cash at him for 2 years. Prefer to go with a young returning from college SG or use an out of college import spot to cover it.

PC is definitely the best shooting guard going around but at 32 I don't think he is worth top dollar over the next 2 years

Reply #360811 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

natwhereyouat who is your source at the Hawks?

How do you know they are only offering one year deals. there hasn't been much news from the local paper on them lately. You must have a reliable source.

What else are you hearing from the hawks camp?

PC would be a nice replacement for Matt Campbell.

Reply #360820 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

I disagree entirely Flinders80. 32 is not old, certainly not in these current NBL conditions where the regular season is less than 30 games, and the games themselves are currently 40 minutes long. PC is a great athlete who keeps himself in tremendous condition. Any team outside the Breakers/Wildcats should be talking to his agent.

Reply #360823 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Poor move by the GM. If Crawford decides to up and leave along with Schenscher bailing the Crocs will be in a world of trouble next season.

Reply #360828 | Report this post

hustle  
Years ago

Dont forget that with expansion in the next 2-3 years, player careers will be extended. Crawford may well have a job until hes 36 or so....

Reply #360834 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

I've never liked PC as an opposing teams fan, but there's no disagreeing with his level of talent and Vart is right, 32 is nothing in this league when you're in such good condition... I can't recall PC having any injuries recently, has he had an extended break recently? Looking at his games played in the last decade, I would doubt he's missed more than a handful?

PC knows the system and is a quality player always in Boomers contention... Unless his price is truly outrageous, pay him and move on to the rest of the roster before other teams get a sniff...

Reply #360837 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Not to mention he had arguably the best campaign of his career. Pony up the dough.

Reply #360844 | Report this post

Muzz Buzz  
Years ago

anyone stop to think that what PC might be asking for is crazy and will damage the crocs ability to replace Schenscher

Reply #360846 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

'820, I thought the same, but can't see the Hawks winning many bidding wars.

Muzz Buzz, yes, he's asked for a big upgrade but he's going to get an increase from somewhere. Crocs should be bumping up their offer and trying to meet him part way.

Reply #360859 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He isn't asking for that much more at all! Crocs will always play victim like a few teams in the nbl.

Reply #360863 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

He brings a heap of experience, a money 3 ball and the ability to create his own shot and get off shots with contact and I reckon he's a pretty good decision maker. Great player to have on your team, not as the highest paid player tho. He shouldn't get peanuts either tho.

Reply #360865 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

Flinders80 - Lanard Copeland was GF MVP at 32, NBL First Team at 34 and again at 37. While Crawford is no Copeland, his age is no barrier to signing him on. He won't be in the position of having to run the team while dealing with injuries, like Maher had to in his 30s.

Reply #360878 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

If you look at today though, there were only seven players in the league this season who were born before 1979 (PC's year), three of them retired and Bruton was managed through the season.

The 40 minute game and reduction in teams mean today's game is played at a higher intensity than in Lanard's day. Lanard also had the benefit of the Tigers' relaxed training regime!!

Reply #360881 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

BTW - I do think PC definitely has a couple of good years left, but playing to 36-37 will probably only happen if the league expands.

Reply #360882 | Report this post

Teapotzz  
Years ago

PC has definitely not asked for a crazy $$ upgrade as Muzz Buzz suggested. The 1 year extension on his contract was for exactly the same dollars as he got this season. He has asked for a $ upgrade yes, but not an unreasonable amount. I'd hazard a guess at it being $10-15g for 2 years which when u consider he has improved each season over the last two and is playing his best ball in roughly 5 years, is a boomers squad member and good chance at being an olympian this year, I'd give him what he wants and lock him in for two years instead of letting him become a free agent and losing him!
Tigers offered him a contract last year but was lower than the Crocs, Cairns offered him one as well that was a fair bit higher than the Crocs so if he was chasing big $$ he would've left last year.

Reply #360887 | Report this post

Muzz Buzz  
Years ago

Actually the stats say he is no better than last season and I would call asking for 1/3 more money a sizeable amount

Reply #360898 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

13 points to 14.8 points is definitely an improvement.

Reply #360900 | Report this post

Muzz Buzz  
Years ago

Try again, perhaps look at how many more shots he took as well

Reply #360902 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Muzz Buzz your very poorly informed about the 1/3 more money... very poorly informed indeed. Get your facts correct before you are going to discuss this issue of a 1/3 more wage, again.

Reply #360908 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

@ Muzz Buzz. His game was much more balanced this season, attacking the rim more often and knocking down big shots when his team needed them. Was far better this season. I credit some of that to Woolpert having a better offense than Gleeson, but the fact remains.

Reply #360917 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Crawford definitely went up half a notch this year.

Reply #360921 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Crocs have offered PC what he was asking for and are waiting to heat back. He'll be staying in NQ for two more years.

Reply #361072 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:14 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754