Isaac
Years ago

Cairns confirm Tragardh signing

Let's give this its own thread and stop keeping worried 36ers fans up at night! I don't think they're in a hurry to announce it though.

Edit: Updated title and timestamp for those waiting for it to be official.

We would officially like to welcome @CTrigger11 to the Taipans family! #orangearmy full details on our website
At the time of the tweet, there were no details on their site.

Topic #28224 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

YAY thank god for that. I just got taken off life support over that one, good luck Cairns!

Reply #360776 | Report this post

Confused  
Years ago

Isaac in the other thread this morning you said he was not going to Cairns!

Which is it?

Reply #360778 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Didn't say not going, just said unlikely to be the reason for the Cairn's announcement.

Reply #360809 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Confused, I said he was going to Cairns but that today's announcement is likely to be a college kid (Steindl or Hill).

Reply #360812 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Starting to look like Tiger Watcher got sold a pup.

Reply #360826 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Na, Tiger watcher was on the money, but jumped the Gun.

Reply #360832 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not a bad move but would need to ad another big
Garlep or make a play for jerai grant or will hudson

Reply #360835 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Isaac where do you get your information from? any chance on the lottery numbers for next week?

the announcement today wasn't player related, was a sponsorship deal with the Taipans Academy

Reply #360842 | Report this post

Panther32  
Years ago

This is old news guys, had it up here last Friday! ;)
"Ok here's the latest inside goss....Trigger is as good as signed at Cairns, Dillon is apparantly going to Gold Coast and Jason Cadee to sign with Sydney...another point guard for Sydney!
I think Shane secretly wants a team full of guards!!!"

Reply #360843 | Report this post

Muzz Buzz  
Years ago

Trigger was never coming to Adelaide

Reply #360845 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Na, Tiger watcher was on the money"

On the money in the sense he said Tragardh signing with the 36ers was a done deal? "On the money" isn't exactly the description I'd use for that statement.

Reply #360855 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

'842, not sure if you're being sarcastic to be honest! Heard Tragardh and two college kids are signed and that Tragardh wasn't to be today's announcement. My (wrong) assumption was that one of the college guys was going to be announced rather than a corporate partnership.

Reply #360862 | Report this post

Years ago

haha sorry bro i wasn't being sarcastic, just curious where you get the info from - not that I doubt it. Hope it's true!

Reply #360867 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

On the money, but spoke before it was a done deal. And things changed at the last minute.

Reply #360870 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

triggers defence isn't going to cut it under coach fearne.......no doubt fearne is aware of it and has a plan??.
gleesons issues with him would have started there as well.......and what a bloody mess that is!

Reply #360886 | Report this post

moo moo  
Years ago

isaac, on the money, herd a whisper 2 collage kids signed and tragarhd, to be announced soon.also someone from a european team thats not getting paid is moving back to cairns....

Reply #360888 | Report this post

Years ago

Fearne could get Stoudemire to play D, that aint a worry. Trig gets a bad wrap on D, he dont love it but lets not forget he was playing out of position for most of last season.

Reply #360890 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I thought he was solid on D for most of last year. Not great, but much better than he had been previously.

I imagine one of those college players is Jeromie Hill heading home. And if a player is actually heading home from Europe and choosing Cairns you would think it would be Baynes or Jawai.

I would be surprised if all of Tragardh / 2 x college returnees / Euro returnee came true. Unless the Taipans just won Tatts!!

Reply #360899 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Paul, they're pretty excited from what I can tell. I think Tragardh and Steindl for sure but I don't know that other guy. Baynes has been up there, so he could be another signing? If so, who comes off the bench? Or maybe it was whoever signed first out of the bigs? No second import?

Reply #360903 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hill won't be leaving Texas anytime soon.. Playing great basketball and the school are rapt with him

Reply #360918 | Report this post

moo moo  
Years ago

paul, have to agree with you. but heres hoping.

Reply #360919 | Report this post

Elvis  
Years ago

Perhaps if Jawai or Baynes was returning,that explains why Crosswhite hasn't put pen to paper yet?

Reply #360926 | Report this post

Twinkletoes  
Years ago

Elvis, it seems Crosswhite has put pen to paper with Sydney and Tragardh is going to be his replacement.

Interesting rumoursspeculation about other signings.

I have my doubts about Baynes being a signing as the Taipans already have Loughton, Tragardh (presumably) and Rychart to cover the 45 spots PLUS their salary cap constraints and the fact they still need to sign a starting SG (Andrew Warren or a replacement) and a starting 3 man (Brad Hill or a replacement), would seem to me to make Baynes signing an unlikely proposition.

Reply #360931 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Yes, I agree that adding Baynes to what they'll already have would be a solid surprise. He did go to high school at least in Cairns, so who knows. As someone's hinted, if he's not getting paid properly in Europe, he might be happy to do a reliable stint back in the NBL.

That said, Loughton wouldn't be cheap and Tragardh would take at least Crosswhite's money. If Melbourne had cut Tragardh, they'd still be paying some of his salary, but it was mutual so Cairns will be paying his full wage.

Reply #360952 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

We would officially like to welcome @CTrigger11 to the Taipans family! #orangearmy full details on our website
At the time of the tweet, there were no details on their site.

Reply #361567 | Report this post

Venom  
Years ago

http://www.facebook.com/skytrans.taipans - taking a while for the update to filter through the nbl website

Reply #361568 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

2 down.. 1 to go.. Taipans are going to be fun to watch!

Reply #361569 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

so who's the last one? hints?

Reply #361574 | Report this post

Aaron86  
Years ago

So if Tragardh is supposed to be replacing Crosswhite, why is Loughton's name on the FA list and not Crossy's? The plot thickens...last I heard Loughton had another year to run on his deal?

Reply #361583 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

It's been mentioned elsewhere that the final year was an option year, so I'm guessing the paperwork is running late... If it was the Tigers, I'd be suggesting that they're dragging the chain hoping to sign someone better, seeing as how Loughton hasn't REALLY been the superstar signing that they might have been hoping for, with injuries, etc, but Cairns seem to be a bit classier club than that...

Reply #361588 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

I said to Adelaide then changed last week after cairns made late and larger offer.

Not sure if confirmed yet but Dillon is headin to GC for next season.

Reply #361594 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Crosswhite's off the FA list because he's already signed with Sydney. Cairns must've given him permission to talk early.

Reply #361595 | Report this post

Venom  
Years ago

Crossie always intended to move back to Sydney as his kids got close to school age and needed to stay in one place near his farm (retirement plan)

He would have moved last season if he got a good offer but stayed an extra year. He signed with kings weeks ago with the blessing of the club.

Given the signings so far and the buzz around the club regarding another big signing, dont think the club is too concerned about losing him with what's soon to be announced.....

Reply #361617 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Venom, Baynes?

Reply #361623 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

i was at a kids tournament recently at cairns bball stadium and Baynes was training with taipans.

Reply #361627 | Report this post

Panther32  
Years ago

Wasn't it mentioned somewhere that Loughton was considering retirement? I'm sure I read that somewhere. If he did, then the Baynes/Tregardh signings would be justified.

Reply #361635 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Loughton hasnt signed so maybe he is heading elsewhere.It would explain why Fearne has signed CT. Having both in the team is a real worry without a legit 5.

Reply #361648 | Report this post

Twinkletoes  
Years ago

Panther32 - It was Dowdell who was said to be considering retirement.

Skull - A newspaper article said Baynes is training with members of the Taipans squad to keep himself in shape for the upcoming Boomers camp. He is a local, so is probably back home for a break after the end of his European season.

I can't see how Baynes can fit into the picture as the Taipans have said they are confident of retaining Loughton and Hill, which means there is only an import SG to get plus a back up big (on minimal money) and a back up PG (probably Kerry Williams).

Reply #361651 | Report this post

Venom  
Years ago

@ISAAC - not 100% sure. The trigger signing was the worst kept secret but this next announcement is defcon 3 type lockout LOL Person who I know knows is like an over filled balloon ready to burst but wont let it out.

Is the hype worth the wait ? Should be given it has near equal buzz to trigger signing. Should know soon.

Reply #361682 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Surely not a PF. And probably not a PG given Wilson's signing. I do think they could squeeze in a C if the right guy was available even if SG or SF would make the most sense.

There was a suggestion that it could be someone who's fallen in their lap after having not been paid overseas. Greece is known for that, which suggests Baynes to me. Played in Greece recently, grew up in the Cairns area, is obviously up there right now. Could well be that the club has picked him up and are just talking down a "coincidence" that he's training up there during the off-season. Might've signed with an outclause that protects his options in Europe.

Reply #361696 | Report this post

ziah  
Years ago

Cairns are posting everywhere that it is a "youngster"

Reply #361714 | Report this post

Venom  
Years ago

Being revealed exclusively on 7News Local - Baynes will play for the QBL Marlins in the lead up to the Olympic camp, word is that yes it is a young star as a few have said. Find out in 1hr 10min I guess

Reply #361724 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Is 26 young?!

Reply #361731 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

J Hill seems more likely, but we'll find out soon. Been an exciting few days up north.

Reply #361732 | Report this post

moo moo  
Years ago

cairns offered baynes a contract but the coin was not enough. he is training up here until olympics and then heading back to europe.was a long shot but no go.

Reply #361737 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

CLINT STEINDL

Reply #361738 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:00 am, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754