Anonymous
Years ago

Schenscher & Mitch Creek updates

A HOMECOMING for South Aussie Luke Schenscher is on the table after the seven footer opted out of his contract with Townsville last week.

The 29-year-old, who spent time with Chicago and Portland in the NBA, declined an option to stay with the Crocodiles for a third season and will now be one of the most sought after recruits when the NBL free agency period opens on Tuesday.

Clubs are not allowed to approach potential recruits until this date.

Sixers coach Marty Clarke said the possibility of pairing Schenscher, who played for Adelaide in the 2008-09 season, with Sixers MVP Daniel Johnson was exciting.

"I hope (his decision) means he wants to come home," Clarke said.

Make it happen SOS.

Meantime, the Sixers' attempts to reach an agreement with out of contract wing Mitch Creek have reached an impasse.

CEO Leeanne Grantham said the club had asked Creek to respond to its final offer by last Friday, but had not heard from his agent.

"We believe the opportunity we've put to Mitch - given his ability at the moment - is more than fair," she said. "He might want to try his chances on the open market. If he doesn't sign with us we'll be disappointed.

"We would have liked to have known (Friday)."

Creek has played the past two seasons with Adelaide and was the club's defensive player of the season.

Creek wants to play funny buggers? Cool see ya later buddy.

Just concentrate on trying to lure the big guns first and worry about the Mitch Creek's of the world later down the track.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/basketball/schenscher-may-be-coming-home/story-e6frect3-1226347692193

Topic #28245 | Report this topic

MACDUB  
Years ago

Agree with you regarding Creek.

By the sounds of it, the 36ers aren't throwing an overpaid contract at him, which is great.

I think its smart to spend your $$ on your starters and work from there. Plus, I really don't think Creek is worth what he claims..If the 36ers are going to throw money at him, why not throw a tiny bit more and get an upgrade (Braswell might even be a NZer by next season)

Good to see the 36ers focusing on the starters first.

Reply #361212 | Report this post

Power Trip  
Years ago

Probably has more to do with the CEO continuelly having a go at him for;

1/Wanting to come in a shoot at the dome. And being told that he is not allowed like he is someones 4 year old child.

2/Wanting to play ABA so that he can get paid. And being told no we wont let you because we can even though we dont have a contract with you for next season.

3/Be abused for playing music at the stadium while he rebounds for a friend shooting, like he some punk who turned up to cause trouble.

Great work 6ers.

Reply #361213 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Id tell him to suck it up, he is being paid purely on potential at this point, in the NBL. If i were him, id be looking to impress a club, not piss them off by going against the wishes to play ABA for chump change. The other stuff all seems tacky, but if that has anything to do with not signing, meh more potentials in the sea.

Reply #361214 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

If Schensch signed up, the Sixers would have player sponsors four deep.

Reply #361217 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Players have every right to play ABA! Most of them do it to stay fit and get some income while in off season. If players DON'T have a contract then the club has no right to tell them what to do. It's a joke. If all of the above is true (Power Trip) then no wonder the kid is pissed off. If he can make better money then yeah, good luck to him. His young and talented, not like he won't get picked up on a multiple contract come this Wednesday.

Reply #361218 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Creek wants to sign ASAP but is waiting on the 36ers! He's not interested in going anywhere else.

Reply #361219 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

Creek probably wants his contract to stipulate that he doesnt get stuck behind wonder boy Weigh.

Fair enough IMO

Reply #361220 | Report this post

phil  
Years ago

ild like to keep the best defender on our team.

so clarke basically saying we will offer schensh a contract?

Reply #361221 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Sixers should at the very least consider a few things before making a run at Schensh.

- He is going to be asking for huge money. He was already the highest paid player (or at least very close to) in the league at the Crocs, and he wants even more $$$.

- You already have Daniel Johnson - would it not be wise to spend big bucks on another position?

- DJ will get far fewer looks – if that's who you think the future of the club is, I would be wanting him as the focal point of the inside game to continue his development.

- You have to run the whole offense through Schenscher for him to be effective. That is, entry passes early in the shot-clock, re-entry passes straight away, and he has to be surrounded by shooters to get his assists. Is this the game plan Adelaide wants to adopt? Johnson wouldn't get any looks aside from incidental ones.

Reply #361222 | Report this post

phil  
Years ago

mick i agree with alot of what you say but sadly, its not a case of weighing up schench vs .....

who the hell else are we going to get to come here that is a top player?

if the choice is schensh or a guy like trueman then we need schensh.

so little available talent.

Reply #361226 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Or perhaps like every employee in negotiations with an employer for a new contract, he's a tad disappointed that his club is suggesting he's outputs have fallen short of their expectations and subsequently been offered a reduction in base renumeration in the new contract and had more emphasis on performance incentives.

I'd be considering my options too if I were him but it does beg a question:

Did the sixers pay too much too early, or is Mitch being unrealistic about his true worth?

Many expect the club to offer Ballinger less, should we be surprised if they did the same to Creek? Different points in their careers but perhaps both were paid above their outputs?

Reply #361227 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

If we are going to re-sign Creek, It's important we do it before the point re-rate happens.
The Breakers are at a huge advantage having Abercrombie signed on for 1 point or whatever. Martin is still a 5 for Perth. We have Johnson still at 6...

You'd imagine Creek would be re-rated to at least 5, maybe more. I don't want to see us miss out on the discount just because we keep stuffing around at don't get it done in time.

If Power Trip is right about the way we've stuffed him around, the it's bloody disappointing and Creek is well in his right to say piss off and go somewhere else.

Reply #361228 | Report this post

forcey  
Years ago

Good points Mick. I don't see DJ and Schensch working together at all. It retards DJ's development and puts out two guys who'll get murdered by the bigger bodies or guys who can shoot from outside. An import with a big body and an import PG are musts. This will tie up a lot of $ and probably mean we can only afford 1 import.

Reply #361229 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think Schensch would be a great fit, a low post offensive option. DJ is a face up shooter for the most part.

On Creek I always remember when he first signed with the 36ers and Boti was pumping him up trying to compare him to a Newley or an Ingles and he said he's going to become the first Mitch Creek.

Reply #361230 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Whats weong with him wanting to test the waters
Id love to see him at a team like the hawks or the blaze next season
However i do think adelaide should release weigh and keep creek

Reply #361232 | Report this post

Fill Smythe  
Years ago

The most important position to get right is a decent point guard. IMO mitch Creek hasn't shown enough to be throwing big bucks at.

Reply #361233 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think you will find its not all about the money but the length of the contract. Creek wants to sign but the club Has had other priorities and Mitch is waiting on them.

Reply #361235 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mick ur way off with the financial side of the Schenscher situation. Way off, and at the end of the day Adelaide are shit and need to et better and fast. So u sign solid free agents that are available... Enter Luke schecnsher

Reply #361237 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Weigh lovers not big fans of Creek Ballinger Simpson Warren Hill Holmes Bruce Carter Dowdell DeVries Winder Howard Shannon.

Reply #361244 | Report this post

You know what? I am so sick of people thinking they know everything! Schenscher is always after money... Mitch is greedy and has been over paid blah blah blah!! What rubbish. You should only make such comments if you actually know what TRULY is happening rather than THINK YOU KNOW!

Luke has never "chased the money". Circumstances around different clubs, (eg Adelaide at the time) recruiting philosophies have caused him to play elsewhere but his heart has ALWAYS been in Adelaide. This is where his family and friends live, this is where he grew up. He has only ever asked for what the market is saying he is worth, in fact he has taken the lower option at times to go where he feels is best suited to him at that time. Luke is the whole package, great guy, good team man and good player.

Now for Mitch. If you ask any person who knows him or any parent who has had their child spend time with him at a clinic, they will all tell you the same thing. What a fantastic young man who, when he is with you, concentrates on making your day. Sure Mitch is not Abercrombie (yet) and he will be the first to tell you he knows many areas of his game need much improving. He works his butt off to get better and has a bright future. If he was so average as you all say how does he get selected for the Boomers training squad? Sure he is probably no chance to make the Olympics but you are only selected to boomers squad if you have the talent to make it or they feel you have the talent to make it in the near future. Sometimes what a club offers a player is not always what a player is worth, rather THEIR opinion on what they think combined with the team they are trying to recruit. If you were in a situation at work where most other companies think you are worth $60,000 per annum and WILL pay you that and the one you work for can only pay you $40k as that's what they think you are worth, what would you do? Especially if the industry you were in had a short life span? Are you being greedy or planning for your future? How far does loyalty go in this day and age of sport? Remember everyone Mitch has only JUST turned 20! He has a huge upside.

I want him to stay but don't believe a person is selfish or greedy if they accept an offer from another team especially if 3 or more are willing to pay higher. We are the first to say throw a lot of money at Gibbo, Wilkinson, Ervin etc to get them here but feel our players are greedy if they do the same? It's not like 1 club says I'll give him $180k to get him for us and he is only worth $80. Then you might say are players just sporting mercenaries? You don't want to go thru your career like a wortho just trying to constantly get clubs to pay you ridiculous amounts to go play for them but at the same time if a few clubs say you are worth X amount of dollars and are willing to offer you a multi year deal do you consider that maybe your own club doesn't view you are worth much? Does a club offering you a low amount after offering over the market value to others view you as worthless and maybe they don't really want you?

I would love Luke and Mitch at the 36ers but maybe just for market value!! I am really looking forward to hearing of our recruitments in making a good squad playing for Marty and achieving success.

Reply #361246 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wow! Absolutely great post

Reply #361247 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

I agree with 36er from long ago. That is a great post!

I think having Luke would make it much better for DJ.

He would now have to guard power forwards instead of centers which I think will make it easier for him. He wont have as much pressure to rebound.

In offence he will have a smaller player on him so he will be able to post up better. He can shoot the ball with more confidence knowing that if he misses Luke will be there for the rebound.

Reply #361249 | Report this post

Nino  
Years ago

That post hit it on the head...

Reply #361254 | Report this post

eyewonder  
Years ago

So let me get this straight king james, johnson, who was regularly beaten by his opponent by speed, not out muscled, will do better by playing the 4 spot more against guys even more athletic & quick than those he matched up on last season. Makes complete sense to me!!

Reply #361265 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

I agree with you Mick and Forcey. I just don't think the NBL is suited to the twin towers approach. If we play Schensch and DJ together, we are going to be exploited on defence big time and it will be hard to get the most out of both on offence.

If Schensch wasn't going to cost us a mint, then maybe, but the reality is he will, so I agree that we are better spending the big bucks on other positions, most notably point guard.

Would be really disappointed if we don't keep Creek, but I also don't want the team to overpay for him either. He does have super potential, but he has to realise that at this point, he doesn't have the skills to be more than a defensive role player and rebounder. I'd hope that he would sign something commensurate with what the 7th best player on the team would normally get at this stage.

Reply #361272 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Don't get me wrong, Schensch is a special player. Some people don't realise how great a passer he is, and what a great team guy / nice guy he is.

The only knocks I have on his game is he doesn't have anything vaguely resembling a jump shot for a guy with such a nice touch, sometimes he shoots a hook when he should be going at and over smaller defenders, and he isn't a great rebounder for his size. That said, he is also a much better defender than people give him credit for. He was such a perfect fit in Townsville, and the production Woolpert was getting out of him towards the end even with the poor conditioning and lack of rhthym had me thinking big things for next year with a healthy Schensch.

If you saw how he looked in the pre-season before he went down with the hip injury, he was in for a career year last season until fate stepped in. He was dunking on people all over the shop, he looked like he had added some necessary injury-preventing muscle, and he looked more mobile than I'd ever seen him before. Remember the hip complaint was congenital, something he had all his life and only just started causing him problems.

However, I don't think Adelaide, with their rebuilding approach, should break the bank for him. While the offense has to go through the big fella, he needs to be surrounded by shooters and leaders to be effective. He's not the kind of guy to put a franchise on his back.

Moreover, I don't think Schensch will sign there unless he can "win now", and unless they do something with their roster to guarantee that before he signs.

Reply #361280 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

eyewonder, I don't think he was regularly beaten by speed. Johnson is one of the quickest centers in the NBL. He gets beaten by lack of defensive technique (laziness) and his lack of strength. Since he is one of the quickest centers that means he will be fine speed wise with power forwards and will have a length advantage on them.

Have a look at the NBL starters at power forward and at center. I would rather him be assigned power forwards with Schenscher there to help out if required. The centers below obviously have a much better points per game output (and is probably the highest out of any position in the league) as well as field goal percentage over the power forwards list.

Power Forwards = Vukona, Holmes, Redhage, Grant, Worthington, Greer, Foreman, Loughton

Centers = Wilkinson, Schenscher, Knight, Khazzough, Hudson, Tragardh, Davidson, Crosswhite,

So yes that makes complete sense to me.

Reply #361284 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

I wouldn't call Hudson, Knight or Tragardh centers, and Davidson is more of a four too.

Reply #361294 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Mick that adds to my argument as DJ is already playing on power forward type players. Also even if they aren't true centers they still play center for their respective teams. So In my opinion he has a better chance to contain power forwards

Reply #361296 | Report this post

hooked  
Years ago

RE twin towers

look at what happened when the tigers went big...

FAIL

Reply #361305 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

They all play centre Mick, so they are centres.

Reply #361306 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Put a decent pg with the 2 bigs and it will be fine. Everyone micro coaches with this stuff. It's not rocket science, just get a distributor and the Offense will flow. Better predicament than what the 6ers have been in. And in a league with no defy, the term rebuilding is a weak one to use. You just have to sign the best free agents you can based on what's available that off season. That's be Luke Schenscher, and that'll bring fans, mark my words.

Reply #361314 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Schenscher isn't exactly a showman, don't see how he brings fans in...

That said, Adelaide should only get him if he fills a hole and they can afford to surround him with talent.

Reply #361322 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

The Tigers experiment was absolutely a dismal fail. Having Nevill, Burston, Helliwell and Tragardh, not to mention Tommy Greer as well, in the same team was sheer folly. They signed five otherwise competent players who could only, at best, fill two positions, and not a one of them that could keep in front of a Sean Redhage, Mark Worthington, Mika Vukona, Alex Loughton etc, let alone the more ajile SFs in the league.

But Perth have repeatedly been successful on numerous occasions with a similar set up in the Perth 'wall'. Not saying that DJ and Schench are a natural fit together, but it can work if you use appropriately complimentary players. I could see Schench being the metaphorical Vlahov/Rogers to DJ's JC/Ronaldson.

Reply #361339 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Mick I agree that Schenscher is not a showman and will not bring in the fans just to see him (barely anyone in the NBL is). However, while Luke has been in the NBL he has always been in a team that won 50% or more of their games. If this was to continue with him in Adelaide then we will get more crowd.

I don't see a comparison with that Tigers team as DJ can easily play as a PF and we don't have another 2 back up centers expecting time.

Reply #361352 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Mick, he might not be a showman, but he's local and recognisable and that's more than we've had in a while.

Reply #361353 | Report this post

ineedmore  
Years ago

I reckon it would excellent to have DJ at 4 and Schensch at 5. Nice three way with Ballinger in the mix...

Only problem is last time Schensch wanted to play here it was the coach who said no to the contract.

Reply #361357 | Report this post

Adelaide 36ers  
Years ago

regarding Power Trip comments;

The venue is not owned by the Adelaide 36ers, it is owned by Adelaide Arena and there are only specific times we have access to the courts in the off-season, which all players are aware of.

Mitch is playing ABA for Woodville, the clearance was done as soon as it asked for and he got the all clear from the medical team on the same day.

Regarding music, there was an external meeting upstairs in the Apollo room and they asked for the music to be lowered. It was not the CEO who asked him to turn it down, the venue did.

Reply #361360 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I just had a phone call from Mitch Creek on behalf of the 36ers thanking me for renewing my membership for this season. He said he'd be running around in the blue again this season!

Reply #361364 | Report this post

ineedmore  
Years ago

Well done Adelaide 36ers, excellent post.

Maybe there is hope for us poor fans yet.

Reply #361365 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:59 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754