State boys - Sturt
Reserve boys - Sturt
State Girls - Fville
Reserve girls - Fville

Overall - Fville

Reply #361252 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

West U/18 Div 1 Girls, surprised everyone with a top 3 finish.

Reply #361258 | Report this post

lo68  
Years ago

..and West u16 girls, surprised nobody by failing dismally after talking themselves up too much on Hoops.

Reply #361259 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

lo68 LOL

Reply #361260 | Report this post

Annon  
Years ago

Forestville win all girls grand finals!

Forestville win

Reply #361264 | Report this post

Years ago

Wonder how many games the refs rigged?

Reply #361266 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Another terrific display by BSAs incompetence by Court Supervisors and Referees. This issue Is much larger than it will ever be admitted, and a major factor into why Basketball in this state is in a dire situation. Players lacking basic ability amd games not being refereed correctly Is combining to drastically affect the quality of players and games in this state.

You can pump as much money and emphasis into player and coach development all you like, but if the wrong principals are being enforced, the players will never be able to compete at a higher level. Our district comp is a laughing stock.

Reply #361267 | Report this post

???  
Years ago

Ooopppsss Sorry about that

Didn't your team do very well
You make a very ambiguous statement
What are you on about

Reply #361269 | Report this post

???  
Years ago

So who made u/14 Nationals this year?

Reply #361270 | Report this post

Annon  
Years ago

267 is a Sturt parent?

Greta planning by Forestville over the years to create a family club, built on development of kids of all talent, rather than poach kids and get SASI coaches to one club.

Reply #361271 | Report this post

It looks like sturt didn't do a very good job of poaching this year? Gotta step up your act sturt!!
Forestville sweeping every girls grade, first time a club has ever swept all boys or girls grades?
It looks like forestvilles continuality as a family club built on grass roots payed off, well done

Reply #361274 | Report this post

Years ago

This is #267

Ummm no am not a parent, in fact I don't even have kids!

My point is that South Australian refereeing plays a hugely detrimental role to the quality of basketball being played, and quality of basketball players that this state is developing. Under 18 Nationals is a perfect example. Some of the worst results in a number of years, at a tournament that was already a long way under the usual standard of play at these nationals.

Our lack of refereeing recruitment and DEVELOPMENT - not just having a talentless ref coach go and tell the refs they did well, but actually coach referees in the correct principals of refereeing and basketball, is hugely detrimental to Basketball in this state. BSA turns a blind eye to it, and as long as the 'gaps are filled' approach runs rampant, this will continue to be the trend.

Poor officiating allows basketball.

And no I am not affiliated with any club/person/team/ etc etc etc.

Just simply someone who is watching the steep decline of Basketball in SA.

Reply #361276 | Report this post

anonomouse  
Years ago

Eagles r winners,

Might want o look through your junior members and tally up how many kids have come from other clubs to yours.

Last count was twice as many as Sturt.

Reply #361277 | Report this post

???  
Years ago

So what positions did the clubs come in girls , boys and overall 1- 10 or however many we have

Reply #361283 | Report this post

Years ago

anon - i think most clubs would consider themselves to a be a family friendly club.

it was quite evident after summer results forestville would win this year - some girl sturt teams of this age group rotation off the pace.

and as expected the battle for 3rd was the closest it has been for ages.

everyone prattles on about poaching - there would not be any club that would not push any opportunity to get a decent player.

Reply #361286 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

So in summary, the premiers per division:

Girls State: U12: Forestville, U14: Forestville, U16: Forestville, U18: Forestville
Girls Reserve: U12: Forestville Blue, U14: Forestville Blue, U16: Forestville Blue, U18: Forestville

Boys State: U12: Forestville, U14: Norwood, U16: Sturt, U18: Sturt
Boys Reserve: U12: Sturt 1, U14: Sturt 1, U16: Sturt 1, U18: Sturt 1

Flags won: Forestville 9, Sturt 6, Norwood 1

Reply #361291 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Well done to all teams who participated, but recognition should be given to those teams who lifted and shone like the Port Adelaide lighthouse.

Magic U14G Reserve: Seeded 10th, finished 3rd.
Norwood U16G State: Seeded 7th, finished 2nd.
South U18G Reserve: Seeded 7th, finished 2nd.
Southern Gold U12 Boys Reserve: Seeded 12th, finished 5th
Sturt 2 U12 Boys Reserve: Seeded 11th, finished 6th

Reply #361292 | Report this post

JQ  
Years ago

As per Jack above, full credit to the Norwood U16 girls. A massive effort to finish second in their pool, and then to knock off North in the semi. No one saw that coming!

Just not enough left in the tank to play out the GF. But they did stay with Forestville for the first half...

Reply #361295 | Report this post

WhereRUStatsRoom  
Years ago

Would be great to get a review "From the stats room"!!

Reply #361303 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What were the pleasant surprises and shocks which stood out. In my mind:

1. Sturt U14 boys finishing 4th and not making the nationals
2. Tigers U14 boys finishing second and making the nationals despite poor lead up form
3. Sturt U18 girls missing classics
4. North U16 girls missing the GF
5. West U16 girls - what happened to them?
6. Forestville U16 boys being beaten by North to miss the GF

I moved around a fair bit looking at various games and levels. People talk about the refs and yes there were some poor performances but there were some poor performances by players and coaches. But what frustrates me and I suspect players and coaches is inconsistency of interpretation between games by different officials - some games look like World Cup rugby and then others look like a precious netball game. I think I can handle poor decisions but this inconsistency of officiating between games at the same level is just so frustrating to all concerned.

Reply #361307 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Congratulations Forestville, maybe its just a coincidence that they have appointed two new experienced and well regarded(SASI)coaches into their 16s and 18s girls programs and all of a sudden win those grades. Perhaps having good coaches does mean something for being successful, even if neither of them is truely a forestville developed coach.
The irony annon 361271
"Great planning by Forestville over the years to create a family club, built on development of kids of all talent, rather than poach kids and get SASI coaches to one club"

Reply #361309 | Report this post

State

Boys

Sturt 14
Forestville 7
Southern 7
Norwood 7
North 3
Woodville 2
Centrals 2
West 2

Girls

Forestville 20
Sturt 6
Eastern 6
Norwood 3
Woodville 2
Southern 2
Centrals 2
North 2
West 1

Overall

Forestville 27
Sturt 20
Norwood 10
Southern 9
Eastern 6
North 5
Woodville 4
Centrals 4
West 3

Great weekend by Forestville, girls had probably the best results ever. With 4 grades only compared to 6 previously, I cant decide if this is harder or easier than in the past. Boys underachieved a little but did enough to equal second.

Sturt certainly had a down year by their previous results, even though their girls finished second and Boys were strong, it will be interesting to see if they can battle again next year in the two year cycle.

Well, can we officially say no more big 3. Norwood get 2 really good results in 16 girls and 14 boys and 1 other result that is some what tainted by a certain coaches behaviour. And pickings look slim in the future.

Southern is now 4th consistantly with strong boys results, but their lower level is somewhat lacking. 14 girls went backwards from previous season and they will need to address their slide.

Eastern had hit and miss weekend, their girls had some good results and others goig backwards (see 16 girls) but boys no where to bee seen.

North had their best performance in recent years, although the 16 girls might have been the upset of the tournament, the 16 boys have really been the biggest improvers.

Woodville have some good bottom end boys that could prove well for the coming years, while their girls continue to struggle

Centrals will be pleased with their 14 results with 2 teams going to nationals, but not much else is working for them with their country recruits

West were poor with only their 18 making it through and this is probably their worst result, they were the last club to strip Sturt of the boys trophy and it look like they might be going the way of North and need a revamp.

:) ask and you shall recieve.

Reply #361310 | Report this post

Stats Master  
Years ago

Rankings from weekend (based on final ladder position) For the Reserve grade, second teams have been discounted. Any club without a team gets a 10th position.

Boys State rankings:
Sturt, Southern, Norwood, Forestville, Woodville, North, Centrals, West, South, Mavericks

Boys Reserve rankings:
Sturt, Forestville, Norwood, Southern, North, South, Centrals, West, Woodville, Mavericks

Girls State rankings:
Forestville, Sturt, Mavericks, West, Southern, Norwood, North, Centrals, South, Woodville

Girls Reserve rankings:
Forestville, Sturt, Mavericks, Norwood, North, West, Southern, South, Centrals, Woodville

Reply #361313 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sturt/forestville and a mindless weekend ends informing us of how badly structured sa basketball is in the juniors.

Reply #361315 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

well done to the vic refs.
Are you guys available Friday nights?
Are you able to run umpiring clinics for SA refs as they need it desperately.

Reply #361316 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

361315, bahaha. I'm sure the kids have that on their mind when they are playing their guts out, with and against their mates and having an absolute ball of a time too!

Reply #361317 | Report this post

stick to stats  
Years ago

from ths stats room - although I am not aware of what you are referring to, if you really insist on discussing behaviour, you might want to point the finger at Forestville's 16 Boys. I saw them play twice on the weekend, and both times the behaviour from some of the players and parents was beyond terrible. From a club with such a proud reputation as Forestville, I was surprised. Forestville are the last club I'd expect to see this from.

Reply #361321 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

From the Stats Room,

You mention that both Centrals U14 teams are off to the nationals. I am not sure that is correct. Normally it is limited to two teams from SA with one extra spot available for the club hosting the nationals.

On the boys side I think it will be limited to Norwood and Southern Tigers with Sturt and Centrals missing out.

On the girls side I believe it is Forestville and Sturt with Southern Tigers as the host club getting the third spot despite Centrals beating Southern Tigers in the play off for third spot.

Can any one confirm this?

Reply #361324 | Report this post

Sorry anon but you are incorrect.

This year 3 boys and 4 girls teams will attend Nationals.

About 4 years ago the tournament went to a 24 team tournament and SA now recieves 3 teams.

The girls are at Morphettvale and even though Southern finished 4th they will attend as the host.

Reply #361325 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

BA have yet to offically announce who has qualified but for the past 5 or so yrs it has been top 3 + an extra spot for the hosts.

U14 National clubs set the tone for a club and give something in the short term for youngsters to aspire to in the short term with their club. To have 2 Lions teams go to Nationals will be a fantastic milestone in the clubs ongoing development and growth.

Over the past 4 yrs the club has experienced almost a doubling in size and this growth doesn't seem like stopping.

There are some fairly significant paradigm shifts occuring and I'm hearing something is could be about to happen between BasketballSA/STARplex/Lions and maybe BA in the longer term to ensure continued growth and development in their region.

Reply #361327 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

on the girls side because they are the host and automatically get in does the fourth spot go to the next team in line? that would then be the team that finished the weekend in 5th spot?

Reply #361328 | Report this post

Stick to the stats,

I am much more likely to blame the adult in any confruntation when they verbally attack a minor. I am sure that the players reactions are not necessarily acceptable, but there is 1 adult in the situation and they should be the one defusing the scenario, not inflaming it.

Reply #361329 | Report this post

No we get 3 teams auto matic entry and the host. ie 4 teams total.

Reply #361330 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Mavericks Boys program looks to falling away. How many wins did they have across Div 1 last weekend?

Reply #361333 | Report this post

A Coach  
Years ago

Thanks for that Jack. Both Southern and Sturt D3 teams didn't just make up the numbers they progerssed by beating higher ranked teams in the competition.

Sturt 2 played an epic final against South and won in overtime.

Sturt lost a player before the playoff for 5th and 6th after a collision with an U18 player but still managed to push southern to a very close result southern by 3 in that game.

Its not all about Div 1 teams in this championship

Reply #361335 | Report this post

stick to stats  
Years ago

from the stats room - I assume by 'adult', you are referring to Forestville parents? Some of the 16 boys parents "supporting" could hardly be called that. Really disgraceful.

Reply #361336 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Forrestville girls seem to be coached to intimidate and put in the biff in the 1st quarter. Refs seem to ignore it. Then when they are 10 points ahead, and feeling no shame from their behaviour they pull back and play decent basketball.

I would like to hear of injuries suffered at the hands of Forrestville girls, in particular if your daughter has been elbowed in the face by the State champion girls teams at any level.

Reply #361356 | Report this post

Flowergirl  
Years ago

Anyone see Bridgman or Gibson at any of the stadiums over the weekend.

Reply #361358 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gibson hid at the Dome all weekend.

Bridgeman moved around between the Port and the Dome at least.

Absolutely no accountability at the top from these jokes.

No wonder officiating in this State is a low as it is when these two are running the show.

Reply #361366 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Was good to see the Victorians come over again. Unfortunately some didnt ref too many games as they were busy videoing the refs and providing them with feedback.. Take note heads of SA refereeing

Reply #361368 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

My impression as a coach is that officiating is getting alot better. Mind you it's coming off a low base.

Reply #361369 | Report this post

Years ago

well done lynn holland - i can not recall any winning state champs woodville teams - so a well deserved winner.

and the line up at wayville's door to get a game gets deeper - which will benefit norwood sturt and woodville as the second string players end up in div 2 or 3 and realize their potential elsewhere.

Reply #361397 | Report this post

hogwash  
Years ago

Lynne has won State Champs before, at Woodville. I think your memory is fading.

Reply #361400 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Remember that most referees would have done 10 to 15+ games beore getting to referee a grand final on sunday.

Players are playing 5 at most.

Fatigue IS a factor for referees on these type of tournaments.

Reply #361402 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

not a factor for the first 2 round games what a cop out.

Reply #361406 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

u18GS a few years back Lynne Holland won Classics and state champs.

Plus more years back then when coaching boys think you will find she won classics and champs

Reply #361407 | Report this post

Years ago

referring to overall not an age group

Reply #361409 | Report this post

hogwash  
Years ago

Nice backtrack, but that is not actually what you stated. In any case, well done Lynne!!

Reply #361410 | Report this post

fatboy  
Years ago

#407 - actually Lynne has never won Classics, not in boys or girls. Woodville have only ever won one Classic, and that was u18 Boys in 1999. Jason Bray was the coach.

Reply #361411 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Congratulations to Lynne a very succesful Junior Coach who has contributed significantly to dev many outstanding juniors and teams. Continuing a very strong track record.

Reply #361412 | Report this post

Lucy  
Years ago

Stick to the stats.

Did you manage to catch the u16 boys state norwood/forestville playoff for 3rdl? If so I am sure you would agree with from the stats room on coach's behaviour.

In this case it was the Norwood coach who inflamed a tense on court situation and the Forestville coach stupidly adding fuel to the fire. Both men must remember they are dealing with developing adolescents here and they need to show leadership. And it is the manager's role to keep the parents in check - I agree that the behaviour at some games was a disgrace.

Reply #361416 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bearcats under sixteen girls state underachieved only because of issues with new coach-nobody likes the guy,bring back Corey for he is a jolly good fella(and so say all of us )!

Reply #361421 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bye the way ,who is the Wests new under eighteen girls coach?Talk about gorgeous,now that's what we need- more beauty in this sport!GO WESTIES!!!!!!!!!!

Reply #361422 | Report this post

stick to stats  
Years ago

Lucy, no I did not, so I can't comment on the behaviour of the Norwood coach. Like I said though, I did see the Eagles twice, and on both occasions, the behaviour of players and adults left a lot to be desired. Coach needs to get on top of this, but I imagine he doesn't want to risk upsetting the players, especially as one of the main offenders has a rather high profile parent.

All this is making me wish I did see the game, sounds like it was a bit fiery.

Reply #361426 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Stick to the stats, get over yourself and stop pretending one kids parents have anything to do with it. Embarrassed for you.

Reply #361431 | Report this post

hoff46  
Years ago

Good effort by north boys under 16s.Had two pull out and two played unfit apparently.Basically no bench,Well done to all 16 boys,was played in good spirits.They all have a good healthy respect for each other i thought.Havent seen any of the above?

Reply #361435 | Report this post

stick to stats  
Years ago

#431, thanks for your concern champ, but no need to be embarrassed for me. Nice to know you care though. You just keep your head in the sand and pretend there's no problem. Must be a nice way to get through life.

Reply #361437 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Well done to West Torrens Basketball Club (aka Forestville) (it's almost a South Melbourne/Sydney scenario) for setting the pace in the girls. They have put in a lot of good work and effort into coaching standard, player development, and recruitment.

With them setting the benchmark, it is now up to 9 other clubs to chase them down - it's WAR !

Reply #361454 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I actually think Sturt have set the benchmark. Lookat the last 10 years. Their challenge is to stay there which won't happen next year.

Reply #361468 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I am not sure the way they run the U/14s section of the competition helps all basketball clubs. As top three spots include the invite of the whole team to the Classics, and more so the inclusion of the much sort after Nationals. As many of the top teams recruit good or top players from other clubs. Therefore not helping the clubs that are struggling to become more competitive, or stay strong. I am not blaming the clubs, just the way it affects and unbalances the team strengths of the whole district competition...
I know this, as my child was approached, and although the offer was kind and very flattering, and a life line to these other carnivals. For us at the time, it was just to hard to leave the team we were apart of. However now for not doing it, we pay the price. Did we do the wrong, or right think for our child??? I really don't know..tough luck for us I guess :)

Reply #361804 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not the wrong thing at all. Loyalty and perserverence are great values and the cream always rises to the top. Plenty of kids have made state junior teams and beyond that didnt play in U14 nationals and the parents saved alot of money along the way.

Reply #361810 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

anon #804 if you were approached you should let your club know so they can follow this up.

Reply #361811 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes let your club know because no ther club has done this.

Reply #361817 | Report this post

Callistro  
Years ago

Yeah, so that your club can accuse another club of the very behaviour that they themselves have taken in the past. But now want to whinge about because the same thing they have done is occuring back to them.

Reply #361820 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#804, you say it doesn't help the "traditionally" weaker clubs?
Well Centrals made the semi's of both boys and girls 14s (and I believe made Nationals in both?). Forestville and Sturt - usual powerhouses, both missed in the boys.

It has NOTHING to do with how the U/14 competition is run. It is how your team, and club, are run.

Norwood, Southern, Centrals, Forestville and Sturt (half the clubs) are representing themselves at U/14 Nationals. The only team with both groups going is Centrals - traditionally the worst ("member") club, thus blowing your argument out of the water that it doesn't help struggling clubs. They helped themselves, rather than bleating about outside influences. Good on them!

Well done to all the teams that qualified.

Reply #361827 | Report this post

LCN  
Years ago

Anon - if your kids are talented & you think that you are better served at another club, then move them. If it will help their bball to play with more talented team mates & possibly have better coaches, then do it. Do whatever you feel is best for your kids. Don't look back in X years & wish you'd done something more for your kids.

Reply #361829 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I bet you are the type of parent that boasts to everyone that your little precious has been approached.
So did they really or just maybe you think they should have and your kid is the best in your eyes.
I also bet you told your existing volunteer coach as well!
This was only to satisfy your ego and wanting to hear from him/her that your child is fantastic.
This is most likely the case isn't it.

Reply #361831 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I disagree LCN.

There are many talented basketballers and indeed sportspersons generally. What proportion of those ever make a living out of sport. Do the numbers and you will see what I mean. My view is that sport can teach great life skills and one of those is mateship and working as a group to improve. If it is all too hard and you just keep jumping ship and trying to blame others for your failings then what does that teach a child as he confronts adversity in his life. Obviously this is a general comment but personally chasing success rather than working hard where you are for success does not sit well with me. I know others have alternative views and I accept that.

Reply #361832 | Report this post

LCN  
Years ago

I'm sure it's not about working hard for success. If the kids don't work hard, it won't matter where they play, they won't achieve success.

But if you have hard working kids & can see where it's heading at your current club (eg - have seen older siblings go through the same thing) then I don't see any issue with moving on.

I know that some clubs by u16s (particularly in girls but boys too) struggle to even get enough numbers to trainings in the div 1/2 squad. Hard for a talented kid to improve in that environment.

I'm not saying it's always right to move, often it isn't. But I think there are some situations where it makes sense.

Reply #361834 | Report this post

The Truth #33  
Years ago

The big thing here is about opportunity.

Having the chance to go play at 14 Nationals and Classics is a big plus for any kid. Not saying it is the be all and end all, but over time a majority of kids making it to the elite level go to these tournaments. And not being involved certainly isnt a positive outcome.

Reply #361837 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pity those kids that moved on to Sturt U 14 boys for opportunity which in hind sight never materialised.

There are many ABA players who never went to nationals, never played state or even went to SASI but that is another topic for the future!

Reply #361844 | Report this post

Vesta  
Years ago

ABA is not elite level.

Reply #361846 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#831 Yes they were approached, and I think my Kids talent can speaks for its self doesnt need me or you commenting about it.... and I also think that your swipe at me as a parent is quite pathetic (but just my opinion)
I was trying to get across, its was more about the teams that are strong, just getting stronger, and of course many kids will want to gravitate to that. I totally understand that. I also understand why clubs try so hard to get great players. With this happening the gap between the top and bottom teams is only getting worse this way. However, what if it was done more like the 16s, having try outs to make up the best few teams in the state to go. Then there wouldn't be the same reason for players to leave curtain clubs to make the grade for nationals.
But hey 831 lets make it all about something else. Not talent or work ethic ...Pffft Whatever, you have a nice day anyway.

Reply #361848 | Report this post

Star wars  
Years ago

Easy fix here, clubs have trials in June/July and don't have them in the same day, kids try out for as many clubs they like, clubs pick squads by mid August and post them on BSA website, kids then choose where they want to play by end of August kids then cannot change clubs until following year when they have to go through the process again! Only new kids coming to clubs will be kids that are new to the sport or new to town! Just a thought

Reply #361858 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Whether ABA is elite or not it doesn't harm my point. How many kids are playing ABA or college or whatever who never went to nationals or never played state or never went to SASI. Answer a lot. Now why do you think the ex SASI no longer gets government funding? A. because it wasn't delivering results. Now the program has been expanded to cover U14's in some way based on kids going to Sydney who elected to try out.

The system is not identifying potential good players of the future as shown by where many of the college and ABA players come from and how many in state or SASI never amount to anything. Either the identification process is flawed or what is being taught is flawed or both. Just my view

Reply #361877 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

361412 - Lynne who, she left the Woodville girls program in a mess, front runne

Reply #361886 | Report this post

Barry  
Years ago

Centrals seem to be beating Their chest re their u14 effort, which is good but I'm not sure what it says about the development out there when the entire u14 girls are country based !!

Reply #362069 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Easy solution...kids can't move clubs during season! If you start with a club in summer u have to stay there until the end of winter!

Reply #362078 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:21 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754