celtic green
Years ago

Dallas-Where to from here?

So with Dallas out of the playoffs now, where to from here? They were counting on Deron and Dwight both coming to play with Dirk, but Dwight stayed in Orlando for another year so he won't be flying in with his cape on.
So does Deron go to Dallas now? I know it is his home town and they are a great organisation, but beyond Dirk what pieces do they really have?

Topic #28250 | Report this topic

Mick  
Years ago

I know I'd be irate at Mark Cuban if I were Dirk.

Holding off on the chance to repeat because you think Dwight Howard might come to Dallas (which he never would have anyway).

They don't have many young pieces, either, thanks to the terrible trades and personnel decisions Cuban had been making up until last season.

Reply #361281 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

They lost in the first round however I think they were competitive in almost every game (besides game 3) against a team that has a great chance of winning it (Its probably out of OKC, Spurs and Heat). So I don't think they should feel too bad about it.

The chances of them winning the finals is very bleak as it is for most teams. However, I still think they will make the playoffs for as long as Dirk is there.

Reply #361285 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

The saddest part was seeing Brendan Hayward get blocked a thousand times in that series when Tyson Chandler would have dunked.

Reply #361293 | Report this post

Igotmadskills  
Years ago

I can't help but think how Lamar odom could have made a difference and given them the edge in a couple of games. That's if his head was right.........

They were not that far off the mark but in reality they are an aging team so need to bring something in.

The thing you would like about Dallas as a player is that you know the owner although he is a chump will spend the money to get a championship if needed. If I was a FA I'd be keen to go to the mavs.

Reply #361297 | Report this post

Aussiebballer  
Years ago

They need to amnesty Brenda to clear even more cap space.
If they can't sign Deron then they are kinda screwed as there aren't any other young SuperStar players available.
Either sign Dragic and hope he wasn't just playing for a new contract (see Dampier, Erik). He played nuts as a starter this season.

Or just go old school and sign Nash, Hill, Camby and Garnett!!!! :)
Nash
Hill
Marion
Dirk
Garnett

It is 2004 right!!!!!

Doesn't seem like the best year to have capspace as there isn't that many gun players available.

Reply #361312 | Report this post

ANON12  
Years ago

Came in on the end of a Dirk press conference (I think after the game)on ESPN and he did not seem happy and commented that he would wait and see what happens in the free draft. It would seem from the comment that he may not want to stay in Dallas.

Reply #361319 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Its tough to say really, they were very competitive with the Thunder, a few things fall their way in game 1 and 2 and they would have taken that series. A healthy/motivated Odom would have pushed them over that hump this season and should have competed for B2B.

But Haywood has got to go, Mahinmi is a decent backup and should have started, but they need a solid defensive starter (Chandler... oh wait).

If they can get Deron, its places them in a pretty strong position. Then fill the gaps with another scoring/defensive guard and they will be back up the top again.

Deron/Roddy B
Brewer?/Jet
Marion/Carter (pretty solid year)
Dirk/Wright
FA Centre?/Mahinmi

Then draft picks. Not too 'bad'.

ANON12- what was Dirk saying? Interesting after re-upping last year. Can imagine he wouldnt have been too happy not re-signing Tyson and JJ after last seasons run. Hopefully he stays put!

Reply #361332 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

The Mavs were never going to repeat without Tyson Chandler. He defensively anchored that squad last year and was the reason why they went all the way.

The Mavs will return to being a mediocre team now, hover around the first round or late lotto. Dwight was never going there, and D-Will is 50-50. Odom flipping out didn't help, and JJ was a bigger loss than they are letting on.

Their squad is old. Kidd is done, Vince is done, JET is getting on, Marion is average, Dirk can't carry them anymore and they don't have much young talent on their books. They'll amnesty Haywood.

Cuban is going to have to buy his way out of mediocrity.

Reply #361337 | Report this post

BALLER#3  
Years ago

Upgrade Center
Sign Williams
Trade Odom and Haywood for a good centre and keen mahimni.

C: Upgrade on Haywood
PF: Dirkus Milirkus
SF: Marion
SG: Roddy Buckets
PG: D-Will
6: Terry
7: Kidd
8: Carter (I have actually liked what he brings off the bench.)
9: Mahimni
10: Wright (Also liked him in the limited look at him.)

Bloody Good team right there if it happens

Reply #361408 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:51 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754