skip
Years ago

Free Agency begins at 9am Tuesday - Predictions

I'm actually rather excited to see who will be heading where.

Last year only a handful of Aussies changed clubs (Dillon, Weigh, Helliwell), but it looks like it will be a heck of a lot more.

Schenscher, Crosswhite, Tragardh, Ballinger, Harvey, Walker, Dillon, Creek, Nevill & Crawford would probably be the 10 biggest names that could be on the move.

Make you predictions below

Schenscher - Starting to think Adelaide will get this done.
Crosswhite - Sydney seems to be a done deal
Tradgardh - Same with Cairns
Ballinger - Hoping he is still a Sixer, but Melbourne looks likely.
Harvey - Sydney
Walker - Sydney
Dillon - Gold Coast
Creek - Will remain in Adelaide
Nevill - Gold Coast
Crawford - Will remain a Croc.

Topic #28252 | Report this topic

ethan  
Years ago

Nevill to Blaze hahahahahaha.

He will go to europe or fringe nba.

Reply #361338 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

up the creek with no balls i reckon

Reply #361341 | Report this post

The Journo  
Years ago

Schenscher - Melbourne
Tradgardh - Cairns
Dillon - Gold Coast
Creek - Adelaide
Ballinger - Adelaide
Crawford - Townsville
Crosswhite - Sydney
Bruce - Adelaide

Reply #361342 | Report this post

pwned  
Years ago

I know import announcements are a fair way off, but is there a chance of some quality talent ending up in the NBL due to the depth of the upcoming draft?

Reply #361343 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Yea, Just realised I missed the Sydney players off my list.

Khazzouh - OS
Bose - OS
Bruce - Melbourne

Reply #361345 | Report this post

Tigers  
Years ago

I hear that Creek will move to Melbourne. Bruce is going to sign in Sydney.

Reply #361348 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

Interesting about Aaron Bruce - I don't see him going back to Adelaide. He either stays in Sydney, or goes to Melbourne (who should've signed him last year).

Reply #361349 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Schenscher - Adelaide
Crosswhite - Sydney
Tragardh - Cairns
Ballinger - Townsville or Melbourne
Harvey - Sydney
Bruce - Sydney
Dillon - Gold Coast
Creek - Adelaide
Crawford - Townsville

Reply #361350 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

Aaron Bruce isn't going anywhere. Shane Heal wants him back (and has publicly said it), he wants to stay in Sydney.

The only way he leaves Sydney is IF Melbourne offer him some decent coin.

Reply #361351 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

All the talk I have heard about Mitch Creek is he wants to stay in Adelaide but the 36ers and him are having difficulty coming to an agreement. Like Boti said in the paper, the Sixers are low-balling him a little. It's not every day a 20 year old comes along with his upside, athleticism and work ethic. They should be doing all they can to keep him. Despite the fact he needs to improve in a few areas (as does every 20 year old), you would have to think if he was getting 30 minutes a game he could produce the same numbers as Weigh. Pluse he's younger and more athletic. Lock him away sixers, before another club does.

Reply #361355 | Report this post

Hoops  
Years ago

Whats he worth Anon??

Reply #361359 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Creek will be in Adelaide next season. He just told me

Reply #361372 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Creek must be in ADELAIDE NEXT YEAR OTHERwise its another one that got away - will we never learn.
suely can spelt mitch creak without any dramas

poor management detail to error will be the only downfall

Reply #361375 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

No way Nevill goes to the Blaze.

I cannot imagine Nevill and Wright co-existing.

Wright has been hopeless at developing/getting the most out of his big men. Can only really coach guards.

Reply #361376 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Does any one want to suggest smokeys who may end up at Adelaide even if deep on the bench?

Reply #361377 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

The Tigers should definitely be going HARD after both Bruce and Creek. Mad if they don't.

Reply #361378 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

I'm hopeful Creek will stay in Adelaide, they both appear to want each other so hopefully its just minor tweaking of the proposed contract.

Anyone care to speculate on Everard Bartlett?

Reply #361380 | Report this post

BobbyO  
Years ago

From what i have heard if the new Melb club was to come in next season, creek was there. But now its not happening he will definatly be staying in adelaide!

Reply #361381 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If reports are true about Ballinger perhaps being on the way out, I'd say Creek would have to be worth at least 80k a season. Australian talent doesn't grow on trees, and he is only going to get better. It would be very sad for the sixers to let him go and for him to become a star in another team. I know he is not a South Australian, but nonetheless it would be a bitter pill for Sixers supporters to swallow who have already seen players such as Madgen, Newley, Ingles, Forman, and even Paul Rogers slip through their fingers. I can't say I know the inner workings of the 36ers but going on what I have heard from friends who are involved in basketball in this state, it seems Creek is being quite under-valued. He was their best defensive player, he is an Australian junior player, boomers squad member, the most athletic player in the NBL outside Abercrombie and he is only 20. If the rumours are true about the Sixers offering him an incentive/performance based contract that seems a little absurd to me. How often would 20 year olds be signed to performance based contracts? Surely, that's something you'd offer to a senior player like Ballinger who is coming off a series of injuries.

Reply #361383 | Report this post

The Journo  
Years ago

Bruce to Adelaide I think is a no brainer!

Cheaper than an import and can save some money for other players.

Let Ballinger go and spend the coin on Schenscher, Bruce, two imports, and Vanerjagt!

Bruce/Crosswell
IMPORT/Ng
Weigh/Creek
Johnson/AUSSIE BIG
Schenscher/Vanderjagt

Reply #361384 | Report this post

Hoops  
Years ago

Performance based is just that a rumour!
And your close with $$$$ being offered to stay.

Reply #361386 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

If he's expecting any more than $80K, he's getting a bit ahead of himself... He REALLY hasn't performed at a level demanding more than that and the Sixers (or any other team interested) would be paying for potential and to lock him in/away from other teams...

Signing a one year contract with extentions with the provision for negotiation if he does indeed have a breakout year would be the smartest thing, but really, anything above $90K would really be madness for most clubs to through at him long term...

Reply #361390 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

But to stay on topic...

Schenscher - Obviously Adelaide is in the mix, but really, Tigers have the room and obviously aren't shy to throw the cash around

Crosswhite - Hopefully the Sydney rumour is true

Tradgardh - This will be interesting if it's true he hasn't made a final decision... I'd like him in Sydney paired with Crosswhite though

Ballinger - Same as Trigger really... Would be great to see him outside of Adelaide, change is as good as a holiday...

Harvey - Sydney if he's healthy, but really, very little off season prep, you'd hope that he is happy to not play for much cash or time...

Walker - I can't see him leaving Melbourne, but who knows if the turmoil continues?

Dillon - I really can't see him fitting in anywhere, especially the Blaze if Cadee is re-signed...

Creek - I think it's just nutting out the numbers and will stay in Adelaide

Nevill - Overseas

Crawford - Just squabbling over money but should stay in TSV

Reply #361391 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

The Melbourne Tigers updated their Facebook cover image today... Featuring Lucas Walker. Could be nothing, but could mean he's staying.

Reply #361393 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

I'd love to have Dillon in NZ coming off the bench behind an Import guard. Playing and training with CJ and co under Lemanis/Vickerman wouldn't be a bad thing.

New Import PG/Dillon
Corletto/Bruton
Abercrombie/Henry
Vukona/Boucher
Pledger/Wilkinson

Dp's: Bloxham/Prewster

Reply #361394 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Creek needs a jumpshot b4 he starts asking for too much $

Reply #361395 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Creek situation is an interesting one, yes his jumpshot needs work, but there's a huge difference between hitting shots at training and hitting them in a game. Given the fact he is playing behind Weigh who probably had more minutes than anyone else in the league last season, I don't think he is getting enough chances to improve his jumpshot in a game situation. Look at the improvement this year in Abercrombie. He was always criticised for his shooting, but with Penney leaving this year he was given greater responsibility and his jump shot improved accordingly as the year went on. He ended up being one of the most effective 3p shooters in the NBL by the end of the year. It raises the question as to whether Creek would be better off going to a team like the Hawks or Kings where he would get more minutes???

Reply #361413 | Report this post

Very Old  
Years ago

If Creek REALLY wants to see how good he could be - he would go get coached by Geordie for 2 seasons at the gong - even one would see his pay pay packet for the next season go to $110+ easily. Particularly if he spent one year at the gong and was then ready for either of the two Melbourne teams the year after.

If he thinks that his current coach is a "development" coach ( while making him ride the bench behind a mediocre scorer and pathetic defender) - he would have his eyes opened at the gong.

Reply #361417 | Report this post

Very Old  
Years ago

I mean , one year as the replacement for "soup" and training with ( and eventually taking over from) Sav as the teams main man --- !!!!!

That is seriously a no brainer - so what is you drop some $20K for 12 months - the starting five in the boomers World Champs in 2014 would be his for the asking, and a HUGE payday after that - if he was even still in OZ.

Reply #361418 | Report this post

fstos  
Years ago

Only if the Hawks dumped Coenraad and brought the ageing Sav off the bench. At present the Hawks are loaded up at the three spot and Creek is presently not a 2 man (and may never be) Hawks biggest needs are a 2 to replace Campbell, an import PG and a 4/5 player who can spell Forman and Davo (upgrade on Gruber). Not sure their finances will allow them to do anything other than get a decent PG and then some leftover scraps.

In saying that Creek does somewhat remind me of Sav when he arrived at the Hawks from the tute. Great athlete but a poor shooter and only average ball handler at the time but he certainly developed his all round game over the years. This was helped by being at a struggling club where he could play big minutes as he developed. Creek may be able to do the same and I would be very happy to see him replace Coenraad who I think has reached his ceiling and adds little athleticism to a ball club sadly lacking in that department.

In an ideal world I would get Ubaka back if he can be secured for a bargain and throw Campbell's,Catron's and Gruber's $$$plus the budgeted savings from a more expensive import PG and a little of the undercap money they still had at Crawford and Ballinger.

Reply #361419 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

Im liking the idea of Creek to the Hawks..

Reply #361420 | Report this post

fstos  
Years ago

Playing what position?

Reply #361423 | Report this post

Very Old  
Years ago

with an import PG at the gong , I'd see Geordie using him as a two. In a match up situation he would shut down most other 2's ( is at least a quick , and probably taller and stronger), and would still get some boards for the team.
Hed have the license to develop ,and plenty of court time - that did not require him to try to shore up ( or be exposed to) deficiencies in the rest of the team (DJ and Ball's defense and inability to pass out - 36ers lack of PG smarts)

Reply #361425 | Report this post

fstos  
Years ago

If Coenraad is not contracted let him go. Not sure what he was on but with the Coenraad's and the money they may save from Ubaka if he comes cheap you may have enough to tempt Creek and to play him in his natural position with Sav taking on a reduced role. I see no va;ue in him trying to play maily as a 2 at this stage of his career as he is not equiped to play there. Creek could play a little bit of of 2 or 4 when the team wants to play big or small similarly to what Sav has done at times over the years to allow him to get planty of minutes.

I also like the idea of checking if Andrew Warren wants a second chance in the NBL if he comes cheap as Campbell's replacement. He would fit in well with the type of looks that Campbell and Demos got in Gordie's system, is a reasonable defender and adds a little athleticism to what we had last season.

Reply #361428 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

35 mins until it opens. (9am EST).

Who will be the first announcement?

Reply #361456 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Additional players who requested inclusion:
Trian Iliadis
Ben Louis
Kyle Armour
Alex Opacic
Tanner Kerry
Luke Kendall
Daniel Joyce
Lindsay Tait
Owen Odigie
Nate Tomlinson
Tom Wright
Jackson Hussey
Greg Vanderjagt
Matt Andronicos
Ben Richmond

Reply #361465 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Boti just mentioned that the Sixers are looking at Redhage. He is not a Free Agent tho.

Reply #361478 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Daniel Joyce.

Reply #361497 | Report this post

Thomo  
Years ago

Got a phone call from Mitch creek saying thanks
For renewing tickets and he will see us in oct for
The start of the season and that he's going no where

Reply #361506 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Of that list Isaac, the following guys returning from D1 college are definitely worth a look:

- Iliadis - SG - can light it up from long range very quickly
- Tomlinson - PG - defensively minded ball handler that can hit the three-ball when required

Tanner Kerry is unlikley to get picked up.

Opacic is an interesting one, a big man that has a little upside - I'm not exactly sure what he has done since kleaving college as I have not kept track. Same goes for Louis who was a very good combo guard and played as a solid role player at college before graduating a year ago.

I woudl be surprised not to see Odigie and Hussey get picked up - two Australian junior reps...

I'm surprised Odigie is choosing this path over college...

Reply #361521 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Blaze will announce a young signing soon. Any tips?

Reply #361527 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Opacic had a very good year in Macedonia straight out of college, and was to play in Croatia last year but got injured. Not sure what happened this year. Has just been playing Div 2 in Oz.

Odigie is ready for the NBL defensively, still raw offensively. Would be great to see him signed but it is tough for guys like he and Hussey with only 8 Aussie teams.

Reply #361528 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

Isn't Opacic playing for Albury-Wondonga in the SEABL? He played for Parramatta in the Waratah League last season I think?

Reply #361529 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Yep.

Reply #361532 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

@Isaac - not sure, maybe Steindl? Odigie? Who do you think?

Reply #361533 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Is Dillon considered "young"? He's a done deal to the Blaze as everyone has suspected.

Reply #361535 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Was thinking that, dont really think of him as young but I guess he could be called that as a stretch given he has only played two seasons.

Reply #361539 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

How old is DD - about 26? Not 'young', but definitely not old either. Coming right into his prime. Hopefully Joey Wright can get the best out of him. He has certainly not fulfilled his potential yet.

Reply #361541 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Daniel Dillon has played three seasons in the NBL and spent some time with the Tigers before going to the Dragons too.

Reply #361543 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

No, his rookie season was 2011 with Cairns. Before that he had a year where he only played SEABL and one before that as a DP at the Dragons. Does seem like he has been around longer though. His best is well and truly ahead of him.

Reply #361545 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He started his NBL career with the Dragons in 2008/09 (played 12 games, averaging 6 mpg), was out of the league for a year then played a season with the Taipans in 2010/11 and then the Tigers last season.

Reply #361555 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I dont count being a development player (basically a training player who gets some junk time at the end of blowouts) as being in the league.

I think a player's career really starts when they are on the roster and a chance to play every game.

Reply #361558 | Report this post

Venom  
Years ago

Bang !! Cairns Announce Trigger's signature to members. Announcement on the NBL website / twitter to follow

Reply #361560 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

lol Of course it counts, so if Dillon had never gotten another gig in the NBL after that season with the Dragons, in your opinion he couldn't have said he ever played in the NBL? On that logic I guess Tom Daly's never played an NBL game either.

Dillon's played three seasons in the NBL.

Reply #361561 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I see it differently. I dont count Owen Odigie, Zac Carter, James Mitchell, Ben Purser, Tom Wright or Bo Westover as having had a season of NBL. They are/were development players. Everard Bartlett was runner up ROY this year, but had a year as a DP long ago.

I am happy for you to count it as you will, but for me you start your NBL career when you make it into the main roster, and Dillon's junk time in 09 doesnt count as a season.

Reply #361565 | Report this post

Eazy  
Years ago

Not sure if he has been mentioned, does "Drew Williamson" fit well with Adelaide off the bench?

Reply #361597 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I hope not.

Reply #361601 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Would take Ng, Bartlett or Herbert ahead of either Drew or especially Brad Williamson.

Reply #361611 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:38 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754