Isaac
Years ago

Cadee testing the market

He may be considered one of the rising stars of Australian basketball but the Blaze will not allow Jason Cadee to keep them hanging after he chose to test the open market rather than re-sign by today's free agency deadline.

Blaze chief executive Paul Pamenter said the club wanted to have Cadee locked up before other clubs were able to negotiate with him but the 21-year-old former Boomers squad member had decided not to recommit immediately.
Full story

Topic #28257 | Report this topic

Alexkrad  
Years ago

Sydney likely?

Reply #361463 | Report this post

Hoops  
Years ago

He would be a good 36er!!

Reply #361466 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

That's what people have said, but where are they going to fit all these guards? Spoken of as possible Kings:

Cadee
Bruce
Harvey
Heal's talk of an import PG

Already signed, I think:

Madgen
Martin

Now, maybe Harvey or Madgen can play some SF, but otherwise where is everyone going to fit in while giving them enough strength to challenge? If they were all signed and with Bose gone, it might have to be something like:

Import/Cadee
Bruce/Martin
Madgen/Harvey

Could be that Bruce is a back-up plan in case Cadee doesn't sign, and Martin could be 11th man?

Reply #361467 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

wont be in Syd

Reply #361471 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

I don't think that there is any room left for Cadee as the roster stands...

Import PG (lock it in) / Martin
Madgen / ???
??? / ???
??? / Dann
??? / ???

he's not really a shooter (although shoots the lights out regularly in Waratah league), but especially if rumours of Bruce coming back are true, there's no room at the Inn... I'd still like to see him down the track, but with Martin already signed, it limits his opportunities...

Would like to see how he'd go with more responsibility somewhere though, see if he can step it up on the larger stage...

Hawks maybe? Tigers? (although I'd hate to see any player I actually like play for them)

Reply #361472 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Sixers will stick with Crosswell and hope to sign Delladova next year I think so Cadee wouldnt be in their plans.

Reply #361474 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

Given the 36ers have secured DJ's services for three seasons, they'd be mad not to offer the same length contract to Cadee. That would give them a really solid backcourt/frontcourt Australian base to build around. You'd suspect Marty has a good relationship with Cadee from their time together at the AIS and on junior national teams. This would be a no brainer if I was Adelaide's GM or coach.

Reply #361476 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Hawks need an import PG and already have their back-up IMO. Can't place Cadee there, though Creek would be a reasonable fit.

Reply #361477 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

Cadee wouldn't be a bad fit for the 36ers given he's young with potential to develop.

36ers should have a chat and make some enquiries at least.

Reply #361479 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I think the Hawks will be going a combo guard import and starting Martin.

Reply #361480 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

I dont think Cadee would be a good choice for the Sixers unless Crosswell decides to retire. The PG position is a defficiency of the Sixers and Cadee isnt ready to run the show just yet.....they need some experience at this position.

Reply #361487 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

One possibility would be getting an Ubaka type combo guard and running him alongside Crosswell and Cadee. The best teams in the NBL effectively run two ballhandlers and Clarke has said that's what he wants to do this year.

Reply #361491 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Unless Dellavedova takes a significant step back next season at St Mary's, how do the Sixers expect to even be in the back-up plans of Delly?

Reply #361502 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Matt Knight was a pretty dominant player in the WCC and came back to the NBL, so it isnt completely out of the question.

Reply #361509 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Mick, there could be a number of reasons why Delly may want to play his first pro gig in the NBL. Whilst it is unlikely its still possible.

Honestly, I'm not convinced of Cadee? With Creek you can see the talent wanting to burst out, I havent really noticed that with Cadee...

Reply #361510 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeh given Delly's breakout college season, his good height and toughness on D you would have to think big Euro clubs would be lining up to sign him (some NBA teams might even consider him to fill a roster). He could earn 4 times the ammount the Sixers could offer him playing overseas. Can't see him playing in the NBL anytime soon, he probably needs to make a little bit of coin before coming home.

Reply #361513 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

As a general rule, big Euro teams generally dont sign imports straight out of college. Delly would prob have to earn his stripes for a lesser team first. Does anyone know if he can get a Euro passport?

Reply #361517 | Report this post

Hoops  
Years ago

Cadee,Creek,DJ,Weigh, Potential to build a real nice team around for a long time. IS it possible?? hope so!!

Reply #361537 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The 36ers have no need for Cadee (already have a back up in Crossy) but there's been a bit of talk since halfway through the season that he would be going to the Kings.

Reply #361544 | Report this post

greg  
Years ago

Cadee overseas USA with a Blaze owner, local BB journo and Big Joe, team manager. Wonder what some of the talk across the bar would be?
No doubt he wants to return to Sydney, the Kings, but will have to find somewhere to practice his craft till 2013/14. No PG positions available till then.

Reply #361718 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Hearing Cadee to 36ers. I presume a Crosswell/Cadee combo, blooding Cadee as the future?

Reply #361863 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You might be right isaac and it might be why Mitch creek is excited on twitter there very close mates.

Reply #361870 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

would be awesome if we get Cadee, especially if we get Schenscher aswell.

Then round out the roster with a import SG gun shooter (Lisch mould ideal), a import 4/3 who can do a bit of everything, rebound, defend, shoot, a cross between Kevin Brooks and Dave Thomas (or Chris Williams type) would be ideal. Then grab another cheap aussie back up big ie Vanderjagt, and sign Ng as back up SG. At worse grab dorsey and Ubaka as imports.

Reply #361875 | Report this post

KB3  
Years ago

Cadee / Crosswell
Import / Ng
Weigh / Creek
Johnson / Import or Ballinger or Redhage
Schenscher / Aussie Towel Waiver

still yet to 100% discount Redhage wont be a 36er

Would also like to think Ballinger would want to make good on missing an entire season and still collecting top money

Blaze woes opens up some interesting possibilities. My understanding is that in administration all employees are released.

Reply #361881 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I think just one import could be on the cards. If Blaze players were up for pilfering, I can't see room for Petrie or Wortho sadly, but I would go for Gibson as SG on a multi-year deal instead of an import, then retire Crosswell after another year. Gibson is proven, defends, etc. Saves gambling on an import. Any injuries, grab an import.

Reply #361891 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agreed go for Gibson for sure, i would also look at Wortho or Petrie instead of the import PF (Redhage or Ballinger) spot but they may not want to come off the bench, but would definatly offer them the spot

Reply #361903 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Wortho or Petrie would need to start and would get starting roles elsewhere in the league. I think we'll already have DJ and Luke.

Reply #361906 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yea true isaac, so your confident Schenscher will be a 36er? great news if it happens!

Definatly have a crack at Gibson for the starting SG spot can also help Cadee with PG responsibility against teams like Perth, given Adelaide were rumoured to have come 2nd in the Gibson race last time that hopefully leaves us a fairly good chance if GC go under. Dont go bankrupt for him, just offer him the import spot/salary.

Would love to see a line up of

Schenscher/?? Vanderjagt
Johnson/Import PF/SF (John Williamson) or Redhage
Weigh/Creek
Gibson (or import)/Ng
Cadee/Crosswell

That would be a finals contender imo, and the most exciting team we have had in years.

Cant remember a 36ers team ever having this much top young talent, very exciting to me.

Have to give great credit to Clarke for recruiting great young talent, adding Cadee would show Clarke as a good recruiter of young talent, and that alone probably has probably kept him his job at this stage.

If he continues to bring in 1 or 2 top young guys each year as we need to, and improves his game coaching rotations and strategy, i think many will start to change their mind about him and he may continue to lead us into a successful era, hopefully it will be a bit like Bevo at the Wildcats or Goorj at the Kings, as Weigh and Johnson become veterans hopefully he can be like Goorj and bring in the next top young guys like Gorj did with Wortho and have continued success.

Thats something that the 36ers have struggled to do. I honestly couldnt see many other coaches, or former 36ers coaches being able to recruit as much top young talent as that.

Heres hoping we atleast get Schenscher, Cadee and 2 decent imports and we will have an exciting team, if we can snare Gibson even better!

Reply #361908 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I've assumed that Schenscher was a top target ever since Tiger Watcher first posted about the 36ers going after a decent player (long way back). He might've been talking about Tragardh even if I assumed it was Luke though. Pretty confident now - friend of Luke's and mine that often posts on here has gone very, very quiet which means he's feverishly excited.

Very suspicious that Cadee is coming to Adelaide. Heard he wasn't overjoyed at having to sit behind an import and Gibson, and is ready for more responsibility. I assume they'll run half and half (doesn't really matter who starts) with Crosswell and weigh the minutes towards Cadee as he comes along. Plus, like many teams, we'd run two point guards at times. Cadee can shoot the three a bit which won't hurt.

Reply #361930 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Quite possibly an import combo guard to run alongside Crosswell/Cadee too Isaac. Clarke stated post-season that you need two playmakers on the floor in the NBL.

Schenscher, Johnson, Weigh, import, Crosswell
?????, import, Creek, Ng, Cadee

Reply #361943 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Bit sad to see Bartlett presumably not returning.

I wonder if Marty will avoid burning the second import spot to save it as insurance?

No idea on the back up bigs. Who's even out there? Surely by now we're over putting up Mottram and Vanderjagt as suggestions. I'd put a rookie in one spot. Is Majok Deng a legitimate prospect or heading to college at some point?

Reply #361948 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I agree, go with someone young who can learn off the bigs at training. Re the import spot, they dont have anyone who can defend mobile frontcourters, so unless they do get a Redhage I think that has to be an import, and a pretty good one too.

Id think Bartlett would be likely to move back to Perth where his fam is, but who knows what money is on offer elsewhere.

Reply #361949 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I hope your right about cadee. I think he will be a better playmaker than warren. The key is to sign Luke (inside presence) Williamson (adds toughness and more versatile than Simpson and a import sg that can do a bit of everything defend, score and handle the ball.

Reply #361967 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Bartletts name has come up over here in NZ along with Truman, Jarrod Kenney, Lindsay Tait and even Cory Webster due to their low points ratings/skill level/potential to round out the team. Apparently offers have been put to Jackson and Wilkinson to consider also.

Reply #361969 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I would take Bartlett over all of them, to be honest. Seemed pretty mature, could shoot and showed interest on D. From memory, Kenny isn't much of a shooter (or has that changed?), Tait is like a PG Brad Hill, Webster has a questionable attitude and Trueman is at his ceiling. Tait is at least a livewire, but what do teams expect from Bartlett that he isn't providing? Assists per turnover or something?

Reply #361977 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

I agree, Bartlett has greatly improved and should be a front runner. Current Breakers Coaches know Truman from his time at the club and seem to rate him pretty highly but the teams real requirement is at Guard so you would expect Bartlett. Webster has made his mistakes but is still has potential and they have invested quite a bit in his development so may get another chance

Reply #362029 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I think Bartlett may end up at Perth, replacing Williamson.

Reply #362052 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:49 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754