Isaac
Years ago

North women, Sturt men, win nailbiters

Girls game first up and the Sabres held the lead much of the way after North started strongly. Phillips was fantastic for North and brought them back into the game, while Monique Bowley was solid on the boards and near-tireless offensively.

It came down to a final play for North with scores level, after Sturt had failed to capitalise on their last possession. Tania Dhu hit a gutsy three which swished after the buzzer and the Rockets were three point victors.

In the men's game, the Sabres led for much of the game and held on for a tough two point win, 94-96. The result came despite Sturt playing without Todd Gower who missed the game through injury. Oscar Forman had 14 in the first quarter and finished with 33 points and 16 rebounds, while Nick Hambour was big for North scoring a huge 39 points (17-25 from the field) and pulling down 10 rebounds (maybe spurred by my "features Nick Hambour" promo!).

The Rockets fought their way back into contention, but couldn't snatch the win after Sturt managed an offensive rebound with seconds remaining to deny North a final opportunity to draw level.

I haven't heard the results from Centrals vs Eastern or West vs Norwood, but a big bleargh to those who doubted Hillcrest would be hosting the double-header of the week: two huge, closely contested games, a win to each club, and big performances from individuals representing each team. A good night of basketball, and credit to the North announcer for calling out the leading scorers and rebounders from the teams at each quarter break -- much appreciated.

Topic #2827 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

I wonder what would have happened if hambours role was not stopped due to cramp in the last quarter. He was on fire before he had to sit out for 4 mins

Reply #32120 | Report this post

Mustafah  
Years ago

I don't have the scores but Eastern won both Men and Women.

Reply #32121 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

That's good for my tips! I've only missed the North vs Sturt womens game so far, and that was decided with a final second shot. Most people tipped Centrals men I think.

Anyone know about West vs Norwood?

Reply #32123 | Report this post

Mr T  
Years ago

No matter what I do I seem to not be able to break away from you in the tipping Isaac. I got Centrals vs Eastern men wrong yet got the North vs Sturt women correct.

Reply #32124 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Norwood Men won by 35. Krause had 30 and 10, Foster 18, Webber 15 but fairly even the rest of the team. West women won by 10ish despite a late surge by Norwood.

Reply #32126 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Crap! I went with West Men and Norwood Women. Didn't realise the Lightning girls were going to be back!

Reply #32127 | Report this post

Mr T  
Years ago

Good I got the west women right ;) 1up :P

Reply #32128 | Report this post

Double Clutch  
Years ago

Hot/not on the game later tonight.

Reply #32169 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:04 pm, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754