skip
Years ago

NBL All Star Game to return December 23rd

Updated Thread Title

The NBL Have just tweeted..

"Some BIG news coming from @NBL HQ later today about a special event in 2012. Stay tuned!!!"

Surely it would be the return of the All Star game?

In Perth at their brand new stadium?

Topic #28270 | Report this topic

LC  
Years ago

That would be good...

Reply #361631 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Follow up tweet

The @NBL will hold its first All-Star Game since 2007 on 23 December this year! - http://www.nbl.com.au/news/article/2012/may/nbl-reintroduces-all-star-game/ #NBLAllStars

And the link.

Venue and Opponents TBA.

Reply #361632 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

I'd like to see a non NBL city get it, prob not this year because you want a packed house (Perth, NZ, Cairns or maybe new Melb stadium?) but in the future i'd like to see the league use the All Star weekend to get non NBL cities interested in the league.

IE: Hobart, Canberra, Newcastle, Darwin (maybe) etc

Reply #361638 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Has to be Perth arena doesn't it? Each club should offer supporter-trips to ensure a packed stadium, plus the mixture of fans would be cool...

Reply #361639 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

I'd love it in Adelaide please.

However I do clubs offer packages to bring a mixture of fans together. Awesome news.

Reply #361640 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Perth sounds good to me. How far back was the last All-Star game in Adelaide?

Reply #361643 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

2006 I think.

Reply #361646 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

2006 from memory, 2007 was in Cairns i think? I can't remember...

But i doubt Adelaide will get it, if i was a betting man, i'd say Perth. New arena and it's pretty much a lock in for a sell out.

Reply #361650 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

http://www.pertharena.com.au/

Perth Arena please!

Reply #361653 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

Yes 2006 was when Adelaide last hosted the All Star game.

Reply #361658 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Na Perth is to far from everywhere, no one is going to spend the big dollars for a trip to Perth. Would be a better option for Melbourne as it is cheaper to get to and with more people traveling it, will increase profits to NBL and there sponsors.

Reply #361661 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Has perth ever had an all star game? Hopman cups on around then, so its highly unllke that it would be here. Wish it was! New stadium, perth love the basketball, there waz just no room at challange 2 show how much ppl follow it here. Its slowly getting back up there, gona take bit longer. Just wish like ten n one put on some promos ove the gamez n the nbl. They should follow the format ove the nba. Would like 2 see a veterans game, get the old school players go around, dunk, 3 point have a rookie or under 24? Then imports v aust. Just glad its back!

Reply #361662 | Report this post

ineedmore  
Years ago

Was Shane Warne one of the judges in 2006, for the Dunk Comp? Or was it another year when in Adelaide.

Reply #361664 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

The Perth Arena does look impressive from the web site. I had a quick look.

The distance could be a problem for some.

Either way I'm stoked its back and hope clubs get around it and organise supporter trips to go so fans can mingle.

Reply #361665 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

Actually, there is some hopman cup clause that says they need the Perth Arena 2 weeks before and 3 weeks after or something..

so maybe not the all star game then.. will have to deal with just the Grand Final instead!

Reply #361670 | Report this post

Teapotzz  
Years ago

I think it'll be out of two venues.... 1. The new Perth arena. Not a bad choice but distance is the problem or 2. The new Knox stadium in Melbourne and considering they are playing Boomers games there and were close to bringing a second team in this year I'd lean towards that one...

Reply #361707 | Report this post

hoopie  
Years ago

If we ignore the venue, what's worth running during the weekend?

Looking at the NBA one for a start:
All-star game - yep, wanna see it
Celebrity game - nope
Rising stars game - maybe
D-league game (ie the level below the NBL) - nope
3-point contest - maybe
skills contest - maybe
slam-dunk - maybe
shooting stars - yep

I come away thinking that there's just not the level of ability or excitement that there was in the NBL in the 90s, so I reckon many of the NBA All-Star activities would be flops over here.

I have to agree with what other threads have said about the past season and the NBL right now ... poor shooting percentages, not much sign of people being able to dunk, not many real stars or excitement machines, and weak rosters.

Reply #361780 | Report this post

Wildcat Fan  
Years ago

The NBL all-star game has in my opinion been one of the failures of the NBL in recent times. I don't think the market demands an all-star game to be played anymore. The format is hard to get right, and unless the game is close, it offers little in the way of excitement. As others have mentioned, the NBL is not on the same level as the NBA from an athletic point of view.

Another issue for me is the venue choice. It's almost a lock that it will be played at the Cage, which is the most unflattering venue the NBL has. So let's showcase the event there! It won't work. Playing at the Cage offers little interest and has no 'big game, big entertainment' feel, while playing at a larger venue like Adelaide or Sydney will be hard to fill.

There aren't enough big ticket names to fill 2 teams either, so the interest won't be there.

Reply #361789 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Brisbane maybe? Otherwise Perth or Adelaide.

Reply #362898 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:58 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754