Anonymous
Years ago

Moving to Adelaide, where are the best coaches?

Moving to Adelaide from Melbourne in July, kids play basketball 2 boys, 1 will be under 18 first year and the other 16 first year next season, both currently play division 2, would like people's opinions on which club has the best coaches in these age groups, prefer to be at one club, thanks

Topic #28284 | Report this topic

Anon  
Years ago

which side of ADELAIDE ARE YOU MOVING TO ?

Reply #361840 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

We will be renting in Hallet cove for 12 months then look to buy somewhere

Reply #361841 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hallett Cove -- Southern, SOuth Sturt, 15 mins away and then an extra 10 min to fville.

Reply #361842 | Report this post

Annon  
Years ago

Forestville for all levels of basketball

Ringq the club

Reply #361843 | Report this post

Sturt Sabres  
Years ago

Sturt would be interested in having your children attend a coaching session.

Feel free to call the club on 08 8177 0463.

Reply #361847 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Please keep your posts positive - either clubs making their case and posting contact details (as per the examples already) or info as was posted by '842.

Turn it into the usual bitching and sniping session and I will add you to the block list.

Reply #361849 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

If you are going to Hallet Cove then Southern Tigers is your nearest club.

The Morphett Vale stadium is a 4 court stadium and I think you'll find the Club will be most welcoming.

Reply #361852 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

south adelaide- panther32 loves a beer! even though he is a little old now and new mrs keeps him busy!!

Reply #361867 | Report this post

Years ago

hallett cove is 50/50 between south adelaide and southren tigers

didn't know they had "div 2" in melbourne - thought it was "metro 2" ?

which is actually their 3rd grade - so are you talking "metro 1" or "metro 2"

goes - vic champ, metro 1, metro 2 etc etc

Reply #361869 | Report this post

Lions r us  
Years ago

Love to have ya out at centrals, google maps tells us it's an easy 64.4km run from Hallet cove to GAWLER. Estimated commute of 1 hour and 17 minutes.

Route no 2 says its 73.9km and is estimating 1 hour 17 minutes also. I would suggest route 2 though would be a little quicker, I would avoid main north road as much as possible.

See ya Sunday , trainings start from 8am

Go lions

Reply #361874 | Report this post

BALLER#3  
Years ago

Alright Lions would you bother? Its only 2 and half hour round trip 3 times a week...

Reply #361882 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

you are more than welcome to the southern tigers
the club is looking up

Reply #361884 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Lions, love it!

Reply #361892 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Eastern Mavericks Would welcome your children to the club too,

Based out of Mt Barker in the Adelaide Hills

Approx 1 hour travelling time from Hallet Cover,

The expanding area will provide you will plenty of oppurtunity to look at either buying or building a home.

You also might be lucky enough to find assistance from a coach with regards to finance for your new home.

Reply #361934 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

"You also might be lucky enough to find assistance from a coach with regards to finance for your new home."

Are they a member of the Health Union?

Reply #361937 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The parents have asked about the best coaching.

Between the clubs near Hallet Cove, Sturt and/or Forestville wuold have the best coaching.

Reply #361940 | Report this post

MikefromtheK  
Years ago

The closest club is Southern Tigers but the best club is Sturt.

Reply #361963 | Report this post

;)  
Years ago

Sturt have best coaches (note my kids not at Sturt)

Reply #361972 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

sturt dont have the best coaches they just blow their bags that they do, they poach players left right and centre, ask the under 10 or under 14 division 1 players how they feel about sturt approaching a coach from another club and gauranteeing his kids play division 1 when they are not up to it!!

if i were you i would head to Southern, current u16 and 18 boys coaches are very good.

Reply #361981 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Here we go!!!

Reply #361982 | Report this post

Dione  
Years ago

Sturt would be the best bet for good coaching.

Have won the last 7 U18 State Championship
Have won 4 of the last 7 U16 State Championships
Have won 9 of the last 10 Overall Boys Club State Championships.

I am feeling a little light headed now, probably from blowing into that bag so much. :)

Reply #361985 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think it would be good to increase the smaller clubs... South Adelaide would welcome Vic div 2 players probably to their Div 1 teams.. Sturt, Forrestville have ample kids, be more appreciative at South. I'm NOT from South!!

Reply #361987 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

south or southern are closest.

sturt and forestville aren't far away. good coaching at both clubs, unsure if the mavs have any teams in u18s would be a problem there...

any club will of course talk up their coaches. you're not going to get much here that's not bias, maybe come out, train with a few clubs, start playing in october for summer when you're set, or if you like one make a call and see if they can get you in a side.

eagles trials are generally in early august, so are sturts for externals, unsure about the other clubs.

Reply #362039 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Your child would be more appreciated at Southern or South.

Don't get confused between coaching standard and coaching style. The standard of coaching is good at all clubs.

Reply #362049 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

FMD! Have a read of this shit! It's kids basketball! You people on here need to get a grip! None of u have any idea if these kids have any talent and yet you're all squabbling like school children! Before you start adopting unknown talent why don't you all look in your own backyard and develop your talent like coaches should!

Ps when did we allow Victorians into our state?

Pps go to southern tigers!

Reply #362076 | Report this post

Pug  
Years ago

Jack, what makes you think these kids would bemore appreciated at Southern or South?

Seems you have some kind of agenda

Reply #362080 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

All clubs have great and not so great coaches at them.

So I would suggest you go to the closest review the coach at a training, see how your kid fits in and then make your decision.

Div 2 Vic would mean you are boderline Div 1 at most clubs in Adelaide.

Good luck. Sport is for enjoyment.

Beware of a lot of the Big Fish in the small Adelaide Fish bowel who think that the standard here is lot higher than it is.

Reply #362334 | Report this post

G.....T  
Years ago

Any club would do apparently Sturt will poach them if they are any good

Reply #362966 | Report this post

Hydra 48  
Years ago

"small Adelaide Fish bowel"

I'm sick of people calling Adelaide the a*se end of the earth!

Reply #362969 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

966 just like the under 14 girl that has come from south and is playing div 1 for free!!!! How do u like them apples???

What a joke!!!

Reply #363087 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No one plays for free at Sturt. Stop you lying.

She left because the South program has been a disgrace for years. The sooner you South people work out that its you poor coaching that keeps losing players, and the sooner you fix it, the sooner you might keep players.

Reply #363092 | Report this post

Years ago

I hope this player and parents go to the club closest to where they live. I am from a so-called 'strong club', but we all get a chance to get better if all teams are competitive.

Reply #363105 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

092 firstly I'm not from south! Secondly, I know that she is playing for free! How does it feel to be a fool and paying fees at Sturt???

Furthermore, how do u like them apples? Muppet!

Reply #363106 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You don't no Jake. And sure your not from South.

Just keep burying your head in the sand. And blame the tall poppy for your own clubs failing cause that will fix it.

Reply #363107 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Haha I'm not mate...and yeah south will be extinct in 5 years! Meanwhile u keep paying your daughters fees whilst other girls at your club get a free ride! Sucker!!!

Reply #363139 | Report this post

Slick  
Years ago

Not having to pay fees is the same as having your fees paid for!! I know of two boys that have gone to sturt who got free fees, free uniforms and father is on a promise for div 1 coaching position next year!

Reply #363141 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I heard that story too slick! Apparently his kids have been given a spot 'free of charge' in div 1 u10s forcing other kids to have weeks off! Blow your trumpet now my saber friend but with this behaviour it's only a matter of time before the cracks appear!

If empires have fallen, so too can the pansy blue!!!!!

Reply #363145 | Report this post

Slick  
Years ago

Sky blue, looks so pretty

Reply #363146 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

All Sturt coaches get free fee's for 1 child or sibling. That has ben the case for more than 10 years. I guess your club might want to change how they respect ALL their coaches. Its no wonder they leave your club after gettig disrespected by parents and committee members. And the person you are speaking about has coached a team to a National Championship and been a coaching director. Why wouldn't they go into Sturt's coach rotation and be a div 1 coach next year. He would coach Div 1 at any club. No kids have weeks of, its called rotation. All you have heard is the sour grapes from clubs who are going backwards.Does your club even have a coaching director anymore Southern?

Reply #363155 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hahaha rotation!!!! That means a week off u idiot! You're not a politician by any chance? Is this Slippery Pete???

Reply #363157 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No it means a week in division 2. And that is for all 12 kids in the rotation.

but keep talking bout stuff you have no idea about because your club is only good enough to have 1 team in di 2 and not 3 teams total.

Reply #363159 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I am not a part of any of what has been said previously... and I know the girl you are talking about, If she is getting her fees free goo on her, what is it to anyone else... sounds like sour graped, jealousy and actually none of anyone else's business but the clubs, the parents, and the players... and if my kids fees were paid it would help our family budget greatly, as this sports is not cheap when you have one or more talented kids, and even maybe distance to travel to get there.
Especially when your kids are picked in state stuff... worry about stuff that concerns you and yours... and NO, I am not from Sturt or South.

Reply #363161 | Report this post

Baseline shooter  
Years ago

I am starting to wonder if the original poster is wondering what they have got themselves into, by asking this question.

My personnel opinion is that they should go to the club they feel will give their kids the best opportunity to play the game we all love.

So my only advice is go to the clubs to where you are or even if you have an idea where you will be in 12mths. And go watch those teams train and play, talk to the head coaches and make an informed decision.

All this bickering about which clubs does whatever for their coaches and players is not helping at all.

I have affiliation with Eastern mavs which I think would be too far travel from Hallett Cove at least twice a week, but if you moved to the hills then its worth having a look.

I hope that your kids find the team they are happy with

Reply #363169 | Report this post

hogwash61  
Years ago

My advice is go to where your kid/s are going to get court time and not sit on the bench and where the coach believes in your kid/s. Ensure the coach values your kid/s as being part of the team.

Reply #372780 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Its amazing how pathetic and immature you people act, It would be of great benefit for all of you who love to spew your hate and bad mouthing to go back and have a read of the thread. Hang your heads in shame the original poster has probably quickly deduced why SA basketball fails to replicate VIC basketball. Here's a tip perhaps instead of dribbling YOUR opinionated self gratifying egotistic rubbish perhaps go think about the game and how ALL clubs should be working towards the same goal.. GETTING RID OF THE RUBBISH ON THE SIDELINES, Promoting SPORTSMANSHIP, GOOD SPIRIT in Winning and Losing and RESPECT for the Opposition.
Tigers D1 U18 are top Sturt are second Forestville are 4th South Adelaide bottom, In Div 2 U18 Sturt have 2 teams and Forestville 2 teams, tigers in that league are 11th South are 9th.
My 2c Southern is closer and your kids are probably guaranteed of playing at the higher level at that club as less player numbers but shop around go check them all out and see which one suits your needs.

Reply #372832 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:17 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754