Chuck Long - Nbl option

Does anyone know much about Chuck Long as a candidate for an import spot with Adelaide.

In the latest SEABL game against Mt Gambier he had 28 points including 6 from 10 from downtown

He had 8 rebounds but most importantly he won the game for his team with big shot's down the stretch

-----------------------------------------------------

"The production of Witherden and Hankin off the bench for the Blues was the crucial factor in the game. However Frankston import Chuck Long scored a triple to send the game into overtime and then once again to send it into double overtime. He sealed the victory with another triple to win the game"

------------------------------------------------------

To have some perspective, Brad Hill had 40 points plaing for Mt Gambier

Topic #28300 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

If CJ Massingale and Lester Strong do not have NBL jobs, then its very unlikely that Chuck Long will. He is a bit of a journeyman in ABA basketball. Interesting that Joe Werner is listed on the NBL free agent list - Cairns were interested in him about 3 years ago.

Reply #362278 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Very inconsistent shooter.

Reply #362280 | Report this post

Young Gun  
Years ago

Reply #362302 | Report this post

Young Gun  
Years ago

I have a friend who's played nbl & with Chuck for a few years. He's basically said that Chuck needs to be a little more disciplined away from the game (ie diet, fitness) & then you have the on-court things to work on, as the previous poster mentioned - shooting. I would say that at nbl he'd be a sf, so would have to work on his dribble too.

Having said that, I wish a few more nbl teams wlld take risks with the aba guys, there have been some great players who've made the step up when given the chance.

Reply #362304 | Report this post

hoopie  
Years ago

I thought Chuck Long was a strategy to speed up the game. Silly me.

Reply #362309 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Was mentioned on here a few years ago and no one's touched him since. Probably says what you need to know. Also, 28 vs Brad's 40.

Reply #362311 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Is there an echo at your place today, Isaac?

Reply #362313 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

Chuck isn't quite good enough for NBL level but a good solid import at SEABL/ABA level.

I think a few of the SEABL imports would be quite solid and could be servicable at NBL level all teams won't there imports to be starting 5 and star material not role players.

Reply #362314 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

He is naturalising at the end of this year so would be NBL clubs radar as a role player. Had a super weekend in the SEABL.I agree an inconsistent shooter but a very good defender and has shown excellent leadership skills at Frankston.

Reply #362316 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

paul, wireless was dropping out as it posted, then posted again once reverted to 3G. Bit annoying, sorry.

Reply #362319 | Report this post

?????  
Years ago

Isaac are you suggesting that an NBL import should score over 40 a game to compete with Brad Hill's one off performance?

Reply #362321 | Report this post

Hoops  
Years ago

Long's was a one off as well!!

Reply #362322 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think Isaac is just putting his "big game" into perspective..

- In that same game hill had 9rebounds 7assists, 5steals, and 4 turnovers
-Long had 8rebounds, 2assists, 2 steals, and 5 turnovers

Long played 10minutes less however, and had 12 less FGA's

All in all, tough to compare the two going by stats alone without watching the game.. But I think statistically comparing long to hill, it does however show he could be a role player in the nbl. No doubt. Many seabl imports could. Many couldn't

Reply #362325 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

?????, no, I was comparing one game with one game. Even if it wasn't a ridiculous way to do it, his number is still topped by a guy the Sixers let loose in the past.

In the end, the supposed work ethic someone else mentioned and the fact that no NBL coach has touched him says as much as you need to know. We had the Chuck Long thread in the days of Ninnis.

Reply #362326 | Report this post

What he did do though Isaac, was hit 3 game saving or game winning 3 pointers in 1 game.

Perhaps shows that he is either a streaky shooter or has the game winning ability in which the 36ers have lacked when games get close in the 4th Q and no body wants to step up and win the game for the team.

Brett Maher was the last who could do that

Reply #362331 | Report this post

If you were really looking for an import out of the SEABL surely you would look at CJ Massingale - the bloke is in the SEABL 30 year anniversary team, multiple MVP titles, multiple scoring titles, multiple big-game shots made. Forget the one game by Chuck Long, CJ has done it every year for the last 8!

Reply #362333 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

going by the stat sheet, Drew Williamson lit it up a bit for his WA team last weekend. Had an article written about him and everything. Perth are looking for a three point shooter (likely to get Bartlett) and yet are letting him go.

Coaches would be looking at these guys and writing them off for whatever reason or you would be seeing them at training camps or in teams.

One SEABL-type player I have heard two NBL players speak of positively was Isma'il Muhammad. Played at college with Schenscher and Bosh (I think). Currently in the NZ NBL, averaging about 18 PPG and 9 RPG. Heard of one NBL coach's reaction and they weren't particularly interested, even as a cheap hire.

Other options from the NZ league:

Craig Bradshaw (17 and 5, raining threes)
Galen Young as a glue guy (11/7/4)
Josh Pace topping the league with 23/7/4
Jeremiah Trueman (16 and 7)
Nick Horvath (15 RPG)

FWIW, I don't think the 36ers will use their second import spot and Young, Pace, etc are not going to be starting SG calibre (Pace maybe - who knows).

I have wondered about locking in what we need and then using the second import spot dirt cheap on a freelancer/darkhorse like Muhammad. Then, if someone major gets injured (e.g., PG or Schenscher), keep paying that import as training bait and bring in a replacement. With a SG import and one of Ng or Herbert, I think we'd have positions covered OK enough that others could be best-available rather than role-specific.

Crosswell/Cadee
Import/e.g., Ng/Creek
Weigh/Creek/SG import
Johnson/Weigh
Schenscher/Johnson

If Ballinger was at the right price, I would keep him as a back-up big. Who knows, could re-find his past brilliance.

Reply #362339 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

CJ Massingale! Someone should have mentioned him sooner. Would make a handy 1-2 with Jayson Wells.

Reply #362340 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

How old is CJ??? Might have missed the chance...pity cause would have be great to see him get a chance.

From memory the knock was always he perceived lack of D

Reply #362341 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Is CJ going to naturalise? He would be hot property if he did.

Reply #362342 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cj Massingale is slowing down on a daily basis. The Raiders played 2 games in Tassie on the weekend. Losing both.
the 2nd game they lost was to the bottem on the ladder, thunder. If CJ was to ever have had an NBL shot, it should have happened maybe 5 years ago.
Plus he knows nothing about the word defence.

Reply #362345 | Report this post

Word is that CJ will naturalise (his kid was born here) very shortly.

I disagree that CJ knows nothing about the word defence - this season more than ever he is guarding the perimeter threat on opposition. Working pretty hard at it is the word out of Knox.

He should have had a look in previous years and there is no denying that he can go.

@Anonymous I would put the loss to the thunder down to the age-ing roster playing massive minutes in double-header travel scenario as opposed to anything else (and the lack of faith shown in the bench by the coaching staff despite the fact it was them who pegged the defecits back to respectable margins) and would argue that if there was more faith shown in players like Aver & Hare that the effectiveness of CJ's numbers would improve. Who wins the game - the team who scores the most yeah? ;)

Reply #362348 | Report this post

?  
Years ago

At best he'd be a 8-10 burst guy unless he worked hard on his fitness!

His horizontal work ethic wouldn't be questioned - as his 1 on 1 rep is quite solid!!

Reply #362366 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not sure if i like the idea of the 36ers not using both import spots, especially given where we have been in the last couple of seasons.

Unless it is to pool the money and bring in one proven stud import, (im talking proven MVP level Ebi Ere, Chris Williams, Donta Smith) id rather the 36ers bring in 2 cheeper imports say 80k each than spend say 160k on the next Warren or Simpson, both were good but not studs or guys who carry a team to the title. If we need to go 2 cheap imports id be happy to see Galen Young and Josh Pace given a go.

Young is a versatile front court player who has the toughness and defense we need and seems to be a good team/glue guy and brings some veteran experience, he can play SF,PF,C. Has plenty of NBL experience including a title with the Wildcats with Schenscher, Weigh and Radford, which could help with chemistry, probably also not rated a 10 in the points cap which could help.

Pace seems to be a 'do it all' sg/sf who can help handle the ball and run a little pg, which to me would be a great fit for the team, aslong as he has a half decent jumpshot, doesnt have to be great but just reasonably realiable. Would like to see how he would go in the NBL, his numbers in the NZ NBL have been great and given guys like Abercrombie and others who have done ok in the NBL including some imports dont do any better id be willing to bet he would be atleast as good as Chris Warren, and possibly could come cheap as he is playing in NZ.

That would give us

Schenscher/?? young big or Ballinger if we can fit him in
Johnson/Young
Weigh/Creek
Pace/Ng
Cadee/Crosswell

Again unless the import is a proven MVP level player id rather see that than taking out say Young and signing another Aussie, not too many great ones realistically available, as we would probably only get a import as good as Pace, just pay them twice as much, id back Pace in to Average atleast the 13pts, 3assists Warren did last season given his NZ form over the years.

With the import insurance idea, if say Schenscher gets injured for the season, we wont have that much cash left to bring a great import in anyway, proven by the fact we didnt even replace Ballinger last season, so we would just end up with a Galen Young type anyway, so why not just grab him from the start, assuming my line up above fits the points cap, which im pretty sure it would.

I'd rather play with 2 imports from the start and plan for a best case, injury free scenario, than go a player short just in case, and if an injury happens just grab the best available at the time, even if its a top line NZBL or SEABL player ie Horvath/Bradshaw for a big if he got injured or a Tait/Dickel type if a guard went down.

Anyway will be very happy and excitied to see the 36ers play if rumours of Schenscher and Cadee come to be true, which seems likely to me.

Great recruiting efforts by the club as they have retained our 2 best young talents, secured another top young talent and secured the best SA player in the NBL. So congrats the the coaches and management for this and hopefully this leads us up the ladder.

Reply #362369 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Anon, could start with one import and then add a second one once the team sees where the need is greatest?

Reply #362370 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yea a bit like in 2002, wouldnt mind that, but by seasons end we will definatly need 2 imports along with our Aussies remaining healthy if we are going to make playoffs imo.

I chose the 2 imports i did as they are both versatile and could basically cover any spot/role between them, so if we could get them or similar players i personally dont see the point in waiting, but it did work (well didnt hurt the team) in 2002 bringing in Garrison so wouldnt be to upset if they did aslong as by half way through we have 2 good imports.

The risk is the new arrival hasnt had pre-season with the team to gel with them all and learn all the structures,etc so could mess things up a bit, but there have been success stories with this method also and we may be able to pay a guy worth 300k, a reduced fee of say 150k to play half the season, which is what Donta Smith did with the Dragons isnt it, so could have some real benefits.

My preference is 2 imports from the start, but aslong as we have 2 by halfway i wont complain, dont see the point in going 1 import all season, unless the club is that strapped for $$$, but even then would go 2 cheaper imports.

Reply #362371 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

If there is a second import who isn't a C, they'll at some point be stepping on the toes and time of Creek (and Cadee). Now, I'm not so fussed if the team is ultimately winning, but obviously a lot of posts last season wondered why Creek is there if he wasn't getting his chances.

I also doubt Schenscher, Johnson and Weigh are costing peanuts. Ballinger was costing them quite a lot though.

Reply #362384 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'd go with a 2nd import PF, ala Galen Young as Johnson and Schenscher can cover C. I would like a defensive minded, mobile(ish) PF ala Young who can have a crack at shutting down/harrassing Wortho, Wagstaff, etc if need be.

I'd rotate the mins something like

C Schenscher (30)/Johnson (10)
PF Johnson (20)/IMPORT (Young) (20)
SF Weigh (25)/Creek (15)
SG IMPORT (Pace) (20)/Creek (10)/Ng (10)
PG Crosswell (10)/Cadee (25)/IMPORT (Pace) (5)

Giving all of our young guns atleast 25 mins, whilst still playing our import big atleast 20 and more if a big gets into foul trouble/injured.

A young big would round out my roster, only given mins in blow outs, etc.

Ng gets more mins if on fire and reduce IMPORT or Crosswell depending on form, game situation, etc. But if not hitting shots after 5-10 mins leave him off.

Reply #362396 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cj will always play his game, look for his points no matter what the result is.
On the subject of the Thunder win, Janev has just joined them and Ben Armstrong has unretired. Armstrong has still got it and top scored. Javev started slowly but was solid down the stretch.
Strong still recovering from a back injury didn't help either, but the Raiders are now back with the pack.

Reply #362449 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:44 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754