Isaac
Years ago

Taipans keep Loughton and Hill

Spotted via AndTheFoul's Twitter feed - Loughton and Hill will return to the Taipans. Loughton declined a player option and elected to negotiate a new contract.

Gives them a depth chart roughly like this:

Wilson/?
Hill/Gliddon
Grabau/Steindl
Tragardh/Rychart
Loughton/?

I assume a budget import big is on the cards?

Outgoing players at this stage are Kerry Williams, Dean Brebner, Ian Crosswhite, Jeff Dowdell and import Andrew Warren. Could Williams return?

Topic #28333 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Should the sixers consider dowdell again for the bench warmer role? Probably be rated about a 4. Just plays little minutes, adds some injury insurance to the team, would be happy to get another contract and would come cheap. Sign up Ng again (being a doctor might be able to get him cheapish because he has a career after basketball), go hard for a high quality import and then possibly use the left over points to wait and see where the team needs improvement like Perth do.

Reply #362883 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

would think kerry will be a safe/cheap option considering wilson will play 30+ mins in a 40 minute game anyway.
Cairns are probably trying to trim up kerry's wage to fit in a big.

Reply #362889 | Report this post

pwned  
Years ago

Catron?

Reply #362909 | Report this post

Venom  
Years ago

Kerry was offered a contract but wanted to check his market value. Be a shame for a local product not to get the gig, but there would be a lot of interest to play backup minutes to Jamar.

Reply #362912 | Report this post

pointguard  
Years ago

Kerry Williams checking value around the league? He wouldnt get picked up in the Ballarat c grade league, he has heaps of opportunities because he is a local, plenty of better options out there.

Reply #362928 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Wonder if they'd consider Tait again?

Reply #362940 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Kerry Williams isn't really of NBL standard.

Reply #362947 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Could this be a spot of Tom Daly?

Reply #362950 | Report this post

Spursfan  
Years ago

As someone who was a Taipans season member last season, I can safely say that Kerry is a better option than Tait. He was not himself last season, maybe feeling the effects of the ACL. The people who only see what's on the statsheet have no idea of what Kerry brings to the team.

Reply #363019 | Report this post

KP  
Years ago

Tait looked about as comfortable in the shuffle as Oprah running a marathon in a pair of leather pants.

KW is a better option to him within the Taipans system.

Reply #363021 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

kerry's biggest problem is his shot.....he needs at least to be a threat to draw some d....that is one dog ugly shot he has!
in traffic he's got a great handle on the ball.
he needs to improve his shooting next season or his wage will keep shrinking!!

Reply #363022 | Report this post

Spursfan  
Years ago

Skull, he actually has a good spot up jumpshot, he's just reluctant to shoot. Two seasons ago, he was absolutely deadly with his 15 foot pull-ups. Whether he's lost his touch, I don't know, but he can put it in the hole.

Reply #363027 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Williams certainly wasnt up to it last year, didnt get close to his best form. Agree re Tait, never looked remotely comfortable for Cairns.

Reply #363035 | Report this post

Spursfan  
Years ago

Personally, I think Kerry will stay if he shows half decent form for the Marlins. He looks a little unfit though, needs to get on the bike! Definitely gives the team a shot of energy when he plays. Transition is his game, and with Fearne wanting to push it more this season, you can't go past Williams. He's a local guy on a community owned team/everyone loves him (which counts for more than people would think), and he knows the system. As a Taipans fan, I will be happy seeing him back.

Reply #363057 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

spursfan- 15 ft is not good enough.

Reply #363091 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ok so import big on a budget - You would have to look at a guy like Will Hudson, I really liked what he did with the blaze on the offensive boards and would suit Cairns hustle D type play - I think catron's downside is his lack of rebounding

Reply #363143 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

luke cooper might also be an option as the backup pg

Reply #363144 | Report this post

Spursfan  
Years ago

@skull, it is when he can penetrate like he does. Russell Westbrook makes a living off 15 foot jumpers.

Reply #363176 | Report this post

pointguard  
Years ago

Agreed, Cooper would be a better option at the back up 1 spot assuming his point value is similar to Williams...

Reply #363190 | Report this post

bostonfan  
Years ago

Williams is signing this week. So all u ppl who think he not good he is most steals then anyone I seen. His attack could be better if fearne let's him shoot as well

Reply #375928 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:04 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754