Phil
Years ago

Tigers stand down and investigating Gleeson

Melbourne Age today confirms what has been rumored here for some time. Tigers appear to be trying to worm their way out of honouring their contract with coach Gleeson.

Topic #28335 | Report this topic

Mystro  
Years ago

Is a coaching contract in this league actually a binding contract lmao

Reply #362932 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

What a joke of a franchise.

Those comments from Kestelman are juvenile, puerile, and entirely unprofessional.

Can someone please give this team's NBL license to someone who knows what to do with it?

Reply #362933 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

this appears very seedy. For a club desperately needing to rebuild its brand, it does not appear to be taking the right steps.

Reply #362934 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They are a bunch of dirty, ruthless Russians....they have no respect for any of their staff and Anstey is just as bad...he's fully aware of the treatment towards Gleeson and has no heart...I hope Gleeson takes it to them. This league has got to form a coaches And players assoc to look after people like Gleeson and Joyce.

Reply #362936 | Report this post

hoopie  
Years ago

Looks like it's going to be another rebuilding season for the Tigers, then.
If they're going to do a clean-out, then why don't they do a decent one? They don't seem to have improved their roster (or their coaching) since last season, from what I'm hearing so far.

Reply #362937 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Latest article says that Gleeson has been stood down with pay and is being investigated. For what!? Dissent? Emailing friends about his frustrations? What could they possibly pin on him to justify chopping two years off his contract?

If it's something serious, fair enough, but if they just try to frustrate him out of the job with petty crap, he should hold out for the money.

Reply #362939 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Gleeson is as good a coach as any going around this league. His record speaks for itself.

It's not the "coaching" that the Tigers need to improve from last season...

Reply #362941 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

I wouldn't be surprised at this point for the scum running the Tigers to justify it by saying,

"Yeah, well, we had to get rid of him because his wife has cancer and cancer is really depressing and it was just getting everyone down..."

What a bunch of bickering schoolgirls this Tigers brass are...

Reply #362942 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

And Balls in sailing into this?

Reply #362943 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Investigated for what??? Because he wont resign and accept there payout. What about the assistants.No change from McPeake.The place STINKS!!!!Hate to think what Andrew and Lindsay think....

Reply #362945 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

Gleeson hasn't been "at the club" since the end of the season. So no surprise.

Reply #362952 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Tigers in shock as coach stood down

Tigers go from bad to worse in my opinion...

Also had decent coverage in Melbourne's Herald-Sun.

Reply #362960 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I can't think of what he would be being investigated for, and it does sound a little convenient, but I would wait to find out detais before making comment. I backed someone once in a basketball roll and it turned out the club was right.

Reply #362968 | Report this post

Very Old  
Years ago

Hmm
I did not realise that a DODO founder was a (part) owner - that company features prominently with GGG and Modern in some interesting threads re business practices and ethics on the whirlpool forums.

Don't like the possible dishonesty in Anstey's " new to me" comment either.

Sorry to say this given the saintly halo around Gaze senior and junior, but given the clubs ( read Lindsay's) initial disinterest in joining the original INBL in 1979 , on the basis that they (he) saw no need to play the weaker clubs outside victoria. I'd not be devastated to see the club fold.

It has no longer has a worthy "brand" associated with it for me.

Let the stoning commence.

Reply #362976 | Report this post

Panther32  
Years ago

I wonder if the NBL will report about this on their website...Doubt it!

Reply #362977 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

From the Tigers:

"We haven't actually started to part ways with Trevor. I almost think Trevor is trying to provoke us to make that happen. We certainly haven't come to any decision about Trevor."
Bit rich!

Panther, NBL tweeted a link to a newspaper article about it just a short while ago.

Reply #362986 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bring back Westover.

Reply #362990 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

same stench that is coming from the gold coast....this will be even nastier if anstey has anything to do with it.

Reply #362992 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sorry to be naive, but why is everyone so suspicious of Ansty? I've heard a few people say things along the same lines today.

Reply #362995 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Wonder if Anstey could've turned down involvement until it was all resolved? Leaves him in an awkward position in the interim.

Reply #362997 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gleeson has been running his mouth bagging the organisation and trying to sabotage the team so Tigers have choice but to try and get rid of him asap regardless of price.

Typical Gleeson, all about himself. No wonder most of the players want to leave..... The only ones staying are the ones who are too crap to get gigs on other teams....

Reply #363001 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

This all makes me think about the quote from Corletto from when he first came to NZ, something along the lines of:

"I'm not used to playing for a professional organisation like the Breakers. It's weird having everything well-run and organised..."

Gleeson wouldn't be bagging the organisation so much as telling the truth...

Reply #363006 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Crap like this is why I can never bring myself to go for the Tigers. Born and raised in Melbourne, work full time in the sport, yet only time I go to an NBL game is if I get free tickets and/or visiting team is someone I will want to go and see.

Typical crap from top to bottom! You know how many Tigers Juniors there are in the NBL??!? 1. Corletto, and look how they treated him.

Can't wait for second Melbourne team, no matter how bad they are on the court, Ill be a loyal fan!

Reply #363012 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

At this rate, the Tigers are doing as much harm to the NBL brand as they are their own. The amount of Melbournians who refuse to support the sport because they hate the Tigers is quite telling...

Reply #363015 | Report this post

S21  
Years ago

I'm in a similar position to Anonymous two posts up. Born and bred in Melbourne, love basketball, play and coach a few times a week for the last 20 years....and I'd never ever support the Tigers. Cannot stand them at all. Any new Melbourne team I'll be right behind but never the Tigers. They just get worse and worse.

In the industry I work in, free tickets to sporting events are always floating about, but I won't even go along for free. Whenever I'm interstate for work though I'll happily get along and watch the local team. I haven't attended an NBL game in Melbourne since the Dragons decided to pack it in.

Reply #363024 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anstey and Dmac are behind all this. Offering Gleeson 2 weeks pay when he has an iron clad contract that says 2 years, makes Shamus look like a saint.
NO ONE SHOULD EVER SUPPORT THE TIGERS EVER AGAIN.

Reply #363026 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Family Club! lol

Reply #363032 | Report this post

Young Gun  
Years ago

A few posters here & on Ozhoops have mentioned Gleeson bagging the Tigers Organisation. What did he say & where?

Reply #363039 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Yes, I've heard that. Sounds like they're going to try and use that to get out of the contract. Guessing emails and verbal?

Reply #363046 | Report this post

BJF  
Years ago

Must suck right now to have your owner and sponsor as the supplier of your email and ISP

Reply #363048 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I dunno I doubt Gleeson would be stupid enough to be signed up to Dodo.

Reply #363050 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

S21 +1.

I think Gleesen wasn;t being backward in sharing a few home truths that maybe the organisation did not want him to share...

Heck - it's not like the Tigers heirarchy have recently supported anyone in particular other their their own...

Reply #363051 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Oh dear, this is awkward.

The club confirms that Trevor Gleeson is the Head Coach of the Melbourne Tigers.

We are aware of media reports that Trevor has been stood down with pay. The club has obligations to all its employees, including Trevor, to conduct a professional business and not discuss confidential employee matters publicly.

We are deeply disappointed that this matter between Trevor and the club has become public.

We will not be making further comment until the process we are following is complete. We expect this to happen within one week.

Reply #363056 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Looks like things are only just beginning to get interesting!

Reply #363063 | Report this post

AD  
Years ago

They must of realised quick smart they had no legal basis to terminate his contract

Reply #363066 | Report this post

S21  
Years ago

"We have become aware" haha! They're directly quoted in The Age piece... serious lack of internal communication or direction?

I thought the only way was up after McPeakes departure. Clearly not.

Reply #363067 | Report this post

Posturing  
Years ago

This is all part of the game, rumour of his demise have been floating around for 6 weeks now.. im amazed its taken this long to become public.

Reply #363068 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If im Gleeson im sticking it out sit at home, keep my mouth shut, receive full pay and be fairly certain the Tigers have no real grounds to terminate your contract without paying it in full and accepting nothing else.

What can the tigers 'investigate' i dont think it would be very legal/ethical to access his emails without his concent, even if he has vented to a few people (which you can hardly blame him for doing) i doubt that is really grounds for them to terminate his contract without paying it out.

Seems to me the Tigers are just trying to make him walk, stick it out Trev, if they ask you to come back to work and coach, then do it, even if Anstey is breathing down your kneck, just do it for the pay check, really he would only have to do the bare minimum the contract stipulates to receive his pay, so probably could work out how to avoid Anstey a fair chunk of the time, and if the team goes south he has always got if the owners/GM let me coach this team properly and get the players I want we would do alot better, as proven in Townsville, its the outside interference that is ruining things excuse, which seems pretty valid to me.

What did he do that was so bad last year, i doubt it was his idea to sack Corletto and bring in Mills for a handful of games, which in the end didnt really achieve anything and left them with an unbalanced roster after they didnt replace Mills, he didnt want to sack Ubaka and replace him with Allen who wasnt any better, and heavan forbid he expects his starting PF/C ie Trigger to actually grab a couple of rebounds, and he is a terrible coach.

Sure there are rumours his man management isnt the greatest, but he coached 5/5 playoff teams in Townsville, without stacked rosters, so even if he didnt talk that nicely to players at times, he could coach, and maybe he was just frustrated as he was used to players who actually did what he asked, played/trained hard the whole time at both ends, and bigs who could actually grab a couple of extra rebounds a game, id be frustrated aswell to be honest.

From the outside looking in, definalty seems to me that he hasnt done a whole lot wrong, and given the Tigers history of how they treat players/coaches gives me more reason to blame the Tigers more than Gleeson. Stick it out and make sure you get every cent legally possible Trevor, the Tigers do not deserve to win this one imo.

Reply #363070 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Oh man.... Who writes the crap that is pouring out of Tiger HQ at the moment???

Reply #363076 | Report this post

Teapotzz  
Years ago

I'm with TR! Tigers are just talking crap trying to cover their arse and make Gleeson look worse!!! I never liked Anstey as a player and hey what do u know.. things haven't changed right now. To say he knows nothing about it is a crock of sh*t... Hello you're the Director of Basketball operations or whatever the hell ur title is.... If u don't know then the Tigers may as well fold now cos obviously no-one talks to each other. I hope Gleeson stays on and proves the doubters wrong. Would love nothing more than watching Anstey eating humble pie!!!

Reply #363078 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They have every right to access his emails if it is one provided by the tigers or if he accessing his personal email on tigers computers.

Its interesting the amount of love for Gleeson when there was so much hate on this forum during the season. Although maybe its everyone siding against Tigers. Hopefully it works out for both parties.

Reply #363079 | Report this post

MW  
Years ago

not saying this is his allegation but he supposedly took 5 weeks leave and cut all communications to the club. only way to reach him was through his agent. now, although that doesn't break any contract, but which other coach in the league would go away for that long without maintaining contact with their club.

I think he saw this coming all along, and probably even try to take a jab at the Tigers by taking the leave and prolong this process.

I'd say one of his major pitfall at the Tigers is in his dealing with personnel, apparently there's no support for him from player to management (obviously other than Shorty). and that hurts as a head coach.

if he does somehow manage to stay put (which is unlikely), gotta be some of the most awkward head coaching season in sports history.

Reply #363090 | Report this post

Shano  
Years ago

Wow! They're imploding! Imagine if he had clarke's results then you would sack him. Always thought Anstey was a knob. Least have the minerals to just sack him and pay him out. Don't hide behind this shit. Wonder what drewey makes of his beloved club?

Reply #363102 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Five weeks leave after a depressing season in which your team was ripped out from underneath you by incompetently meddling management to help your wife get through a life-threatening illness is really poor-form, Trev...

Look, the Tigers are a joke. Everyone knows it.

Maybe Anstey is the perfect coach for them? A big man who talked dirty but was scared to play in the post? Sounds like a match made in heaven...

Reply #363111 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Maybe Seamus is the new coach...

Reply #363114 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Don't get sucked into thinking gaze gives a crap about the club. He only cares when there's something in it for him.

I know he is looked upon as the 'Jesus' of the tigers but unfortunately I've seen it one too many times. So no point abusing or trying to convince me otherwise.

I hope they sort this out. I was hoping with the departure of seamus, that the club would take a turn for the better. I would think it would be difficult to recruit players to a club in this sort of state.

Reply #363115 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Players are already being recruited to the club. The head of basketball is doing that.

Reply #363119 | Report this post

MW  
Years ago

Mick- not sure why you are so defensive about it. who are you? his dad?

I didn't say it's not ok to take a leave, but a leave with absolutely no communication with the club is a bit off. as a mess as they are already in right now, probably indicate lot of work ahead of him if he is to come back as a coach.

bet you Clarke and Heal didn't take the time off completely. even on a leave most times you'd maintain contact with club and that's all I'm saying. btw Fearne's been right back at work going to SEABL games, talking to management, players etc. since end of season.

Reply #363120 | Report this post

gaz  
Years ago

Saw T Gleeson at a few SEABL games and also taking tiger clinics in his time off.

Tigers are a rabble . Anstey is and always has been a snake who played so soft it was embarrassing. I will continue to buy my membership in the hope things sort themselves out. Time for a change Tigers not rehashing.

Reply #363131 | Report this post

Teapotzz  
Years ago

@MW... Do u go on leave and stay in touch with ur work?? Most people take leave to get away and have some time to themselves! After what he and his family have been through the last couple of years, I can't blame him for just having time with his family and not contacting the club during annual leave, if that is in fact what he did, which considering he held basketball clinics and Tigers players attended I find very hard to believe he had no contact with them!

Reply #363134 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

When was this leave Gleeson took? After he had effectively been demoted from head coach and given a bogus role within the organisation to avoid having to pay him out? If that is the case, I have every sympathy for Gleeson. Why would you want to talk to people who clearly don't want you around?

Its very poor form from the Tigers to put someone with a sick wife in this situation too. Would it have been so bad to give Gleeson a second season to turn things around with a more balanced roster? After Mills left and Burston went down, they were never going to succeed with the unbalanced roster they'd assembled!

Tigers do seem to have been a rabble for the past couple of years. I'm curious as to the origins of why so many Melbourne basketball fans seem to hate the Tigers? This is not just a recent thing. I've heard complaints about the Tigers going back years. It just seems surprising to me, given the success they had in the 90s and then early 2000s, as well as the positive image both Gaze Snr and Gaze Jnr had for such a long time.

As a fan of the NBL, its just disappointing to see what is happening to a club that has been a big part of NBL history. I hope they can give Gleeson a fair payout and start moving in the right direction soon. It would be toxic for him to return to the coaches bench after what has happened this offseason.

Reply #363136 | Report this post

MW  
Years ago

to answer your question, I do make certain contact with work during annual leaves (especially they appointed a "director of basketball" during this time.

been involved in pro sport, IMO as long as you're contracted there's really no down time. not to mention Gleeson said to the group after loss in season finale that preseason commences May 14th...I would be more than inclined to think this leave is simply to prolong the situation, getting back at the Tigers for mistreatment.

as far as his camp is concerned, they were not "Tigers" camp. he contacted 3 or 4 different players himself as oppose to designated by HQ; normally player appearances are designated by Tiger HQ.

I'm not a Tigers fan but IMO Gleeson is by no means an angel in this whole situation.

Reply #363148 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Make no mistake anstey and dmac are behind this all.

Reply #363149 | Report this post

Doogs  
Years ago

Let us all disreguard MW ( or maybe chris) he obviously works for the tigers new peeps. Wait for the" no I don't" response

The real issue is who is shafting who. And I'm tipping the Russian dodos are wanting there own people in which is fair enough. Just do it with some diginty for all concerned.

Go Tigers !!

Reply #363150 | Report this post

MW  
Years ago

Doogs- that is news to me

Reply #363152 | Report this post

Maxx  
Years ago

Back in the day the Tigers were a very proud 'family' club. They were the biggest and strongest club in Melb and always looked after their own. Even at NBL level they used to recruit from within the club. Even the coached were recruited from within.

This created a 'competitive hate' with most other clubs in Melb especially back when Melb also had Coburg, St Kilda, Nunawading, Geelong (and all the derivitives thereof).

But even if you 'hated' the Tigers you usually respected them, however when they started to turn the 'family club' into a business and started to buy imports and recruit from other clubs things started to deteriorate. This is also around the time Lindsay left.

Sure they might have 'bought' a championship, but a what cost.

Townsville has also been a historically 'family club' (due to it's remoteness), but it could be that the 'professional' players at Melb just didn't respond well to Trevor's me-or-the-highway style.

Reply #363203 | Report this post

The Answer  
Years ago

I said this would all pan out the moment Dodo owners/directors were brought into the fray.

I work in the telecommunications industry, with heavy involvement in complaints/quality area. To say that for such a small market share, Dodo is over represented in the complaints area is an under statement.

A very shoddy phone/internet company, and now bringing their business practices into NBL.

Reply #363206 | Report this post

Greg  
Years ago

Melbourne players have,according to previous players who moved out, had a very easy programme under Westover. Worthington found it that way and has said so. Slack is a word one could use. Gleeson is anything but that. I've always thought that the relationship between player-coach at the Tigers, could have been always been predicted as "collision." Some players would enjoy the change and thrive and some would resent it.
Anyone else heard stories related to Gleeson's methods etc?

Reply #363210 | Report this post

Greg  
Years ago

Received a great email from a mate who is involved in the AFL and basically says that it is a very poor showing of the NBL, in general, that all this stuff is allowed to continue in Melb and on the GC, without official and regular statements from Basketball One/Basketball Australia...whoever they are.
Demitriou would have a field day with this. Would not be tolerated to continue on these lines. As for unpaid super.......contributions would be checked from Head Office and players would receive notification of each quarterly payment from their club.

Reply #363212 | Report this post

Lo  
Years ago

Great to hear Andrew Gaze in the age today say. Trevor Gleeson is a good coach and a good person. Mystified why the new owners would investigate him. What a joke tigers are

Reply #363219 | Report this post

Dave  
Years ago

Anstey been telling people for the 4 weeks he the new coach.

Reply #363222 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So where does the BA / NBL structure allow for an NBL coach to be put through all this stuff?
NBL players all sign a contract that has an out cluse in it. For various reasons this may occur. Injury, poor off court behaviour, poor on court performance. The owners of the clubs can negaotiate a termination relateively easlily. Every NBL player signs this clause in their contract.
There would be no way in hell that an NBL Coach, would not have a termination clause in their contract that suits themselves. The NBL if they wanted this particular coach would agree to the incumbent coaches contract assuming it fair for all.
Gleeson would have such a contract and I am guessing the Tigers don't like it and it's out clauses.
2 weeks severance pay for a 2 years to go contract is a terrible offering from the Tigers.
Anstey is currently recruiting players. Gleeson needs to do a J)yce here, and let them sack him, and sue their arses off.

Reply #363253 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Greg, I think BA has communicated a number of times on the Gold Coast situation - that's been ok. Derwin has made a number of comments to the media as well.

I reckon the Tigers situation is not something they can directly comment on at this stage.

The difference between the AFL and NBL is that in the case of the AFL there would be a third party involved, in this case the AFL Coaches Association, and they would be screaming - that would in turn give Demtriou something to talk about.

Demetriou was prettty quiet on the Fremantle thing last year. It was a big story, was seen to be poorly/viciously handled by the club, and really the AFL had little to say, because there was little to say.

Reply #363279 | Report this post

hoopie  
Years ago

Why does everyone hate the Tigers? Here's a few reasons I can think of, based on watching them for 25 years.

1. Cos they were seen as arrogant, and many didn't like the flashy arrogance of some of their imports or locals.

2. Cos they won a lot of games (against the other local teams).

3. Tall poppy syndrome - we were constantly being told in the media about how great Andrew and Lindsay were.

4. Because the club survived, despite all the shenanigans which killed off all the other local clubs which had lots of local support.

5. Because they were boring to watch, running the shuffle to set Andrew up for the shot, compared to the other local teams who had some exciting talent and let the game flow somewhat.

6. Cos some of them were pretty close to thugs, and EVERYONE in the stands knew how well Andrew milked the refs and got the calls.

Anyone got any others?

Reply #363281 | Report this post

Greg  
Years ago

The terrrible publicity the NBL is getting from these these two stories, in Melb and on the GC, is enough to want to be commenting regularly, to want to be provided with all information and proof of such.
Smoke and mirrors is obviously on the GC and Melbourne look like they are hoping they can learn and follow the Brendan Joyce tragedy.
And it is a tragedy

The absence of the million dollars from EVERY club is also a joke if it has not been received from the Blaze who were never in a position where their owners could not provide that amount. Players and coaches are obviously not represented in a strong and effective way from anyone. the NBL needs to assume that role NOW or at least appear to do so.

A team in every capital city is a prioity.
The Blaze surviving would be a terrific extra but
the Bullets must re-join quickly. 5 years have shown that the Blaze represent 3200 (max) basketball fans south of Brisbane.
What is the number for the Bullets?

Reply #363282 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hoopie - I don't think the tigers were boring in the Gaze days. It was some of the most entertaining basketball I've ever seen and this was reflected in record crowds during the 90s. I'd be happy to watch that tigers team of the 90s again - the Gaze to Copeland alley oop a highlight.

Reply #363287 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

A team in every capital city is not a priority, IMO.

In fact, deeming it as such is careless. I'm sick of the NBL trying to compete with the AFL or NRL on their terms.

Sustainable, steady development is a priority. If that means a team in Geelong or Darwin, then that's what it should be.

Darwin could be a key, with all the mining dollars in the area right now, not to mention a brand new entertainment centre...

GC should bite the bullet and fold. Not a sports town, never will be. Lost cause. Just look at every sports franchise the town has ever known.

Reply #363288 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

To add to Hoopie;

They are supposed to be a "family club" yet its too expensive for a family to go. While Seamus' mates get in for free into corporate boxes.

There junior club is possibly one of the most hated due to allegations of poaching. I know the clubs have nothing to do with each other but its hard to separate the two.

Reply #363289 | Report this post

harold  
Years ago

The Melbourne tigers are in serious trouble. To sack Gleeson is the right of the board but the grubby way this is being handled is totally unprofessional. Anstey's comment that he doesn't know whats going on is a lie and makes him look very stupid. On one hand he tweets on exciting recruitment and on the other plays dumb. And we want this clown in charge????
Trevor Gleeson deserves better and so does his family. His wife is recovering from a very serious life threatening illness and the Tiger's to have him under investigation shows little or no compassion. What has he done ?

If this once proud "club" has one shred of dignity left it needs to come out and be transparent on this issue.

I have dealt with Trevor on many occasions and found him to be a great bloke. Some players (trigger) don't enjoy hard work. I went to session where they did boxing and Trigger was so soft it was embarrassing. No wonder he was benched good scorer but crap defensively and very selfish.
Until this issue is sorted out me and my group (about 30 peeps) will not be renewing or membership. Get it sorted or like the Dodo we will be extinct!!

Reply #363297 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

The former Townsville coach, who has served one year of a three-year deal, was stood down with pay when he returned from five weeks' leave on Wednesday, as the NBL club investigates whether he has breached his contract.

But Gleeson's agent, Barry Gibson, said they were not aware of any breach and, despite requests to the club to be given details in writing of any allegations, nothing had been provided.
A more recent article:
Melbourne Tigers chief executive Larry Kestelman says it is still a 'very likely possibility' Trevor Gleeson will remain as coach of the NBL club next season despite days of ill feeling between the two parties.
Though they still haven't informed him of the actual allegations. Kestelman is not representing the club very well at all IMO.

What an ugly, ugly situation.

Say what you want about the 36ers' foibles and the coaching ability or inability of Marty, but whether Marty is still there because they are sticking to their plan or just because he's costly to ditch, Adelaide have not fallen to what's happening in Melbourne.

Reply #363301 | Report this post

Greg  
Years ago

The lack of solid training session work at the Tigers came from Westover, unfortunately. Whilst some players would have been glad to finally get into a decent, professional programme, some may have resented it. Maybe Tragardh is in that category? Gleeson would have hated having to start from behind in that area.Can take some months to achieve.
Even Worthington has commented in past 2 years on how soft it was when he played as a Tiger, along with now saying he has known for some months about this situation going to happen at Melbourne. Could be possible he knew as he and Anstey are good mates. Also may hate to not be in the close circle?

Reply #363303 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

Anon 363287: I totally agree... While I wasn't a BIG fan in the 90s, they started off the excitement for me and was a huge fan of the Gaze/Copeland team...

Greg: I know it's hard to gauge complete interest when other teams come to town, but haven't all the basketball stunts that have been in Brisbane lately been fairly poorly attended for a city that should be craving for any sort of professional level basketball (International or NBL) that comes to town? IF they don't have the financial backing, or huge numbers guaranteeing a decent return, it's pointless taking it back to Brisvegas and saying that things would be any better there, surely...

As for the genereal Tigers hate, for me, it started with Anstey's and Westover's behaviour (flipping off crowds, and general dick behaviour) and particular the crap that Seamus has been allowed to get away with for YEARS, giving his team the benefit over many others... THIS is what needs to be stamped out and by the way that this Gleeson issue is being dealt with (and unless there is some REALLY bad thing that's been complained about officially, it's being handled TERRIBLY) it looks like nothing has changed in the TIgers organisation and I think is staining the NBL a lot worse than a team trying to sort out it's finances (as most people would be forgetting exactly why they need to be doing this re: Joyce)

Reply #363305 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

http://www.townsvillebulletin.com.au/article/2012/05/21/331681_sport.html

Reply #363307 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

Say what you want about the 36ers' foibles and the coaching ability or inability of Marty, but whether Marty is still there because they are sticking to their plan or just because he's costly to ditch, Adelaide have not fallen to what's happening in Melbourne.

Yeah, I think every teams fans can look at what's happening with the Tigers and go "Thank God that's not what my club is like..." as the idiocy that it's being managed with is laughable on any scale of professionalism...

Reply #363308 | Report this post

hoopie  
Years ago

Don't get me wrong, guys, I was screaming in the stands whenever there was an alley oop to Copes or a Drewy 3-pointer or a Paul Stanley fast break or the two Daves scoring at will.
BUT the shuffle really annoyed me, compared with what got me hooked onto the Tigers in the first place - the Gaze+Stanley+Purchase fast breaking excitement of the mid 80s.

Reply #363311 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Brisbane simply isn't a hoops city, I don't care what anyone says.

Melbourne, Adelaide, and to a lesser extent North Queensland and Sydney is where the heartland of Aus basketball lies.

I remember when the Bullets won the championship there was a tiny half page feature on the final game.

Don't bother.

Reply #363331 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

mick you talk shite. that aside the comment about anstey going around declaring himself coach is eerily similar to what those on the bullets committee experienced with leroy going around for 2 years doing the exact same thing. these players and former players have no clue and no understanding of the awkward implications of doing that and always prematurely. leroy looks pretty stupid now considering there is no team. hard to be the coach of something that hasnt existed since 09. just sayin.

Reply #363344 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anstey is currently recuting new players to the club.
Dmac is involved as well.To suggest he doesn't knnow whats going on in crazy, or a lie.

Reply #363350 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Just because you're from Brisbane and love the game, doesn't make it a hoops city.

Do you ever see kids playing ball in parks? Compared to other cities? Seldom.

Did the media care about the Bullets, even when they were stacked with hall of fame calibre players and romped their way to a title? No.

Did people go the games? No. And if they did, they certainly didn't cheer...

I lived in Brisbane for five years including the last three of the Bullets club, and I can tell you: no one cares.

You couldn't read about them in the newspaper, you wouldn't see them on the local news, and talking to lifetime Brissy locals, many couldn't even tell you the name of the team despite being sports fans and living there forever. They just don't care.

People need to step out of their basketball-centric bubble and see the big picture.

Reply #363359 | Report this post

MW  
Years ago

think the big picture is, Australia don't care about basketball

Reply #363361 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Of course, MW, but there are certain cities that have a prevalent culture that is more conducive to supporting a professional basketball franchise.

And I'd rather see another NZ team, a second Melbourne team and a team in a smaller, econically-stable regional centre whose community would welcome pro sports with open arms and open cheque books before Brisbane.

Reply #363363 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

again, full of shite. mustve had your eyes closed at those games. you drive around the city counting how many kids are playing then hey ? pedo much ?

Reply #363411 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anstey has been declaring himself the coach l have it on my phone come out with the truth please bring it back to the family club

Reply #363413 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe no one cared about the Bullets last time around, because they cheated in every way they could.
Maybe they werne't a local household name, beacuse all the organisation wanted was to take, take, take without any thought to community involvement at all.

Reply #363418 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

How can you say with a straight face that people went to Bullets games? The convention centre was half full on a good day during that championship year, and it's not a huge venue to begin with.

You could waltz up to the box office a minute before tip off and practically get court side seats every game.

Reply #363496 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

Tigers have made no comment as yet regarding gleeson. So all us tiger fans are being treat like crap. Disgraceful. Good start Anstey!!!!!!

Reply #363920 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anstey and Dmac are doing all the signings. Expect the Tigers to sign at least one Aussie player that has never played NBL previously. For Anstey to suggest he has no knowledge of what is going on is simply fanciful.

Reply #363962 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:32 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754