Anonymous
Years ago

Blaze creditors meeting

MORE than 15 companies met today for the first Gold Coast Blaze creditors meeting, where it emerged the team owes as much as $12 million to secured and unsecured creditors.

The company was placed into voluntary administration earlier this month after it failed to meet all of its financial commitments.

Two of the largest creditors are members of the Tomlinson family, who are owed about $11.5 million.

The family has bankrolled the team since its inception in 2007.

Administrator W Roland Robson said he was confident the basketball team would survive the troubled period.

http://www.goldcoast.com.au/article/2012/05/21/417591_gold-coast-blaze.html

(Mod: I've adjusted the topic title because the original was pretty sensationalised.)

Topic #28356 | Report this topic

Ingles13  
Years ago

They looked doomed to me

Reply #363365 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

WOW. they are screwed.

They owe the combined league salary cap + another $3mil!!

Im sorry, but seriously how do you incur that much debt?
Maybe its all these payments to Joey to go to Vegas and "scout players".

So they managed to resolve the $12mil debt...Big deal..then what?
At the end of the day, the debt is incurring because of awful financial processes and a lack of self-control by the club.

Unless you sort out those processes first, then these debt problems will come back to haunt them in the next few years (assuming the investors bail them out this time)

Reply #363373 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

The headline is far more dramatic than the story.

11 million + of that is owed to the owners. That is common on a balance sheet, it does not mean they are demanding the money be paid, but they would want to be listed as a creditor for all sorts of reasons to do with this play.

Reply #363377 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

MACDUB, I don't think it's "real" debt, just money that the owners have sunk into a club that's lost money over time. It mentions "as much as" (e.g., probably less than) and that all but $500k of that is with the owners. Given that they owe Joyce $300k+ (I heard closer to $500k from somewhere), that pretty much accounts for it all between the owners and Joyce.

This is definitely not my area, though one of my clients recently went through and emerged from administration and I got to participate in the creditor process a little bit. Hopefully someone in finance can chime in. But I got the impression that they're implying that if it's wound up, the majority of any proceeds will head to the owners rather than Joyce. Maybe their play is just to clean slate and start again.

Reply #363381 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

Like HO said, most of the debt is owed to the owners. So I wouldn't count that as a must pay back debt.. In saying that, how much longer will the owners bank roll this team if they are owed 11m+ after a few seasons? There's only so much they can fork out until they wave the flag.

I think the Gold Coast is a sporting grave yard. Rollers couldn't "make it". NRL & A-League are having issues with support. Give it some time & im confident that the AFL team will have the same issues.

I don't want another team to fold, but maybe the league should take a good hard look at that market.. Are they able to sustain so many national sporting teams? I know i harp on this a lot on Twitter etc, but maybe it's time they call David Biwer about his old TAS/Hobart NBL bid he did 6odd years ago and re-visit it, instead of putting teams in these sporting grave yards.

Reply #363386 | Report this post

Very Old  
Years ago

In this type of situation - the company in administration cannot owe its "owners" anything - BUT it CAN owe money to another legal entity that is "owned" through another process, by the same "owners".

If set up properly all that happens is that those "owners" hold debt that could have been structured to be the very next debt that needs to be paid from any assets AFTER government charges ( such as ATO - which always comes first) are paid off.

This can put third tier debts ( such as J0yce's ) in a situation where there is no money to be devolved to them, particularly if the NBL license ( an asset) is on-sold for a nominal amount by the administrators.

You can even have the apparently legal ( but assine and possibly unethical) situation where - say - a "MS Smith" has lent $1m to "coast NBL" limited , who then buy an NBL licence, 3 years later they go into administration, and the independent administrators then dispose of the NBL licence asset to a "Blaze NBL " entity for $500,000 , who purchased that licence with funds lent to "blaze NBL" by the same Ms Smith.

Blaze NBL now have the NBL license,and a debt of $500,000 to Ms Smith - "Coast NBL" passes $200,000 to the ATO, $300,000 goes to discharge Ms Smiths loan , and no further money is available to "coast NBL" creditors, which then becomes bankrupt.

this is just an observation of what MAY be possible - and does not meant that this is actually happening here .

Reply #363399 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Thanks Very Old!

Reply #363406 | Report this post

Greg  
Years ago

Joyce's award is actually $530k+ including costs.

Reply #363435 | Report this post

Maxx  
Years ago

Who has to pay costs if Blaze went bankrupt and j0yce ended up with nothing..?

Reply #363439 | Report this post

Very Old  
Years ago

"costs" are generally a reimbursement of only part of "costs" of the legal action's "winner" actual legal costs - often both sets of lawyers have to come to an agreement of what was the "costs" - which is often less than what is billed (and paid)

So the lawyers of the "winner" still get paid usually PDQ, the lawyers for the "loosing" party that goes belly-up -if not allready mostly paid up by their "as-you-go" invoicing - generally get their snout into the trough (always) after the ATO, but well before the "winner" can get to get reimbursed by the now belly-up "loser"

not real nice behavior IMHO

Reply #363440 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can't be bothered finding it now but I read a GC Bulletin article recently where they said BJ is owed $350k+

Reply #363443 | Report this post

Greg  
Years ago

$350k plus didnot include the lawyers' costs.

Reply #363451 | Report this post

Greg  
Years ago

Just been informed that the Blaze do have a valuable asset. Their NBL licence. Worth $4 million.

Reply #363456 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Its only worth what someone will pay for it.....

Reply #363461 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

Think they way Very Old put it was a simply way of outlining the current situation at GC.

They are simply going to offload the license back to themselves and pay out the ATO and leave nothing for Joyce.

you'll find it is quite common practice in business for this to happen as a way of not paying certain debts....however that said they always leave enough money to paid: ATO/taxes & sometimes even the bank loans. This way the ATO don't chase & there other entities - And as per in this case there won't be enough cash for Joyce/third tier creditors and he'll be left with very little if anything at all!

Hence Gleeson is watching this case very closely!

Reply #363462 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Actually I think they have done this to scare the shit out of Joyce rather than simply not pay him.

The owners have said all along that they understand the debt is owed and will (reluctantly) pay it when they can. Joyce however decided to force the issue and set a deadline (which is of course his right) which the club could not meet due to on going negotiations with the potential new investor.

The move to appoint an administrator has effectively granted the club the extension they wanted while also clearly showing Joyce that if he doesnt fall into line the club has the ways and means to ensure he gets didly squat!

Reply #363476 | Report this post

Greg  
Years ago

Why didn't they take up the time payment plan that BJ offered them?
I don't think the Tomlinson's have ever publicly said they intend to pay as soon as they can. Happy if someone can find that from past articles.

Reply #363491 | Report this post

Flash  
Years ago

I agree with Greg.

If they always planned to pay j0yce then why did they let the issue go to court?

Reply #363506 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A New NBL licence is only worth about $1mill + the $1mill surety. No way known in this poorly administered BA/ NBL competion any NBL licence is worth $4mill. Some would say $1mill. is to much as well.

Reply #363510 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Surely administration costs money too and all this puts them in a potential hole with recruitment? Wonder if they regret not handling it differently?

Reply #363518 | Report this post

BJF  
Years ago

Not the only coach going legal to get money owed

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/south-australia/sacked-adelaide-united-coach-broke-facing-deportation/story-e6frea83-1226363502827

Reply #363519 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I doubt it Isaac, is working pretty well for them it seems. Shed some debts and have kept recruiting in the meantime.

Reply #363531 | Report this post

Greg  
Years ago

The contracted players are all feeling totally confident. If there was any concern atall, Worthington would be gone off the coast and back as a Tiger under the coaching of Anstey. Although I doubt they could afford him. Some very strong assurances were given.

Reply #363544 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

Well, it's a lucky thing for those four contracted players really that if the shit DOES hit the fan, at least three of them would have been the most sort after free agents this season and would have no problem getting a job with any other team that still has a spot on their roster and even if not, I'm sure some concessions would be made to fit Goulding in somewhere...

Reply #363546 | Report this post

Charron 44  
Years ago

In case anyone is interested, GC Blaze contracted players (4) were all paid on 1st June as normal.

Reply #365455 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:27 am, Sat 30 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754