benno
Years ago

will patty play greece vs aus game...

will the spurs be done in time? if they made the final will he be there playing? bought tickets so would love to know

Topic #28363 | Report this topic

LC  
Years ago

They don't advertise the NBA Finals dates just yet, however the last possible date for a potentiasl Game Seven is June 26, 2012 (27th Australian time)

http://www.insidehoops.com/calendar.shtml#ixzz1vVEqIZLN

In that case, the best thing we can hope for is Conference Finals to be wrapped up as quickly as possible, and then a Spurs sweeep in the finals ;)

But if one of the conference finals goes 7 games, and assuming the Spurs get to the Finals and go 7 games, we may not see Patty in Melbourne for the 3-game series vs Greece.

Reply #363427 | Report this post

benno  
Years ago

cross our fingers

Reply #363428 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

It woudl also mean we would not have our coach! And given the NBA draft is scheduled for 28 June (29th Australian time), we may not have our national coach until after then!

I hope the Spurs sweep the rest of the way to an NBA title, which means I get to see Mills on court at Hisense Arena too! I bought my tickets the day they went on sale!

Reply #363431 | Report this post

Latrentis  
Years ago

Me too! Bought tickets based on Mills playing. Hope they sweep!!!!

Reply #363437 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Its all good, Patty will be home in time to play cos KG and the Truth are sending Timmy D and the Spurs home in 4! :D

Reply #363442 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thunder will do the Spurs in six.

Reply #363444 | Report this post

benno  
Years ago

gotta love the arrogance of the boston supporters

Reply #363452 | Report this post

Wildcat Fan  
Years ago

Boston are having a tough time just getting past Philadelphia. They won't be sweeping anyone ;)

Reply #363454 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

We want OKC to beat LA!

Reply #363455 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

There was an article about this yesterday (someone will have to teach me about the formatting!);

Spurs' NBA run to cut into Boomers program
- Peter Mitchell, AAP May 21, 2012, 2:31 pm

The San Antonio Spurs' all-conquering NBA play-off run could be a curse for the Australian men's Olympic basketball team.

The Spurs are the hottest team in the NBA, eliminating the Los Angeles Clippers on Sunday night 102-99 in just four games after also sweeping the Utah Jazz in the first round.

The Texan team have won 18 consecutive games and are on track to represent the western conference in the NBA Finals, expected to be completed in late June.

The problem for the Australian Olympic squad is its two most important pieces, head coach Brett Brown and chief playmaker and scorer Patrick Mills, are members of the Spurs and will likely miss Boomer training camps and warm-up series against China and Greece.

Brown is a Spurs assistant coach while Mills is back-up point guard.

But Brown is confident he and Mills can juggle the two commitments.

"It's difficult, but I don't feel short-changed at all," Brown told AAP.

"I feel we are giving both programs the attention they need and we have it completely under control.

"The Boomers are definitely on track.

"We have a senior group with plenty of international experience and I think we will surprise a lot of people in London."

The final NBA championship game is scheduled to be played as late as June 26, just a month before the London Olympics begin.

The Boomers have a training camp in Perth from June 3-8, a three-game series against China in Western Australia from June 9-13 and three more friendlies with Greece across Victoria from June 24-27.

The Olympic preparations have already been rocked with the Boomers' biggest star, centre Andrew Bogut, ruled out by a serious ankle injury and the resignation of Brown's assistant coach Shane Heal.

Brown remains positive, pointing to the experience of Heal's replacement, Adelaide 36ers coach Marty Clarke, who will run the camps and lead the Boomers if the Spurs continue their winning way.

The Boomers have named a squad of 25 players, with the group cut to a 12-man roster by June 20.

Brown said the final squad will likely be filled by many of the players he took to Turkey for the last world championships so they will be familiar with each other and the style of play.

Just as Brown and Mills are committed to the Spurs until the NBA season is complete, other key Boomers also have commitments with clubs across the world that will delay their arrivals in Australia.

"We text, email, telephone," said Brown, describing the way he keeps in touch with players and his assistants while travelling with the Spurs.

"We have been doing it for many years now.

"Through technology we have at the Spurs I can watch all of the games.

"I was watching David Barlow (playing in Spain) two nights ago, Brad Newley (in Spain) and Matthew Nielsen in Russia.

"We're looking good."

Reply #363459 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Surely Lemanis should be given head coaching responsibilities if Brown doesn't make it back in time??

Reply #363466 | Report this post

benno  
Years ago

i'd happily love patty to get a ring but would kill to see him play is aus. Also extremely keen on watching delly play after following st mary's heavily this season

Reply #363468 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Read recently that BA flew both Assistant Coaches to the States so they could work with Brown.

Reply #363503 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

The Thunder did their bit today in beating the Lakers, and with the Celtics up 1 game, we need them to take care of business in Game 6...but we need to hope the Heat or Pacers knock off the next two games straight as well to keep the East on track.

Reply #363533 | Report this post

Michael  
Years ago

Not only will Victorian fans miss out on Patty Mills and Brett Brown for their games against Greece, there is major concern in the BA office now as the new Victorian Sports Stadium - that is due to host 2 games in late June - is looking more likely each day that it will not be ready to host these games.

A new venue to host these games will probably have to be found.

Reply #363550 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:24 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754