Happy Days
Years ago

Most athletic import to play SEABL

Seen many imports over the last 25 years but for pure athleticism "Super E" Eric Atkins is my number 1 choice. Played at Dandenong.Derrick Leak was pretty impressive in his early days. Remember him taking off from the free throw line in a VBA game against Melbourne.YOUCH!!!

Topic #28373 | Report this topic

BJF  
Years ago

Billy Fikes . End of Thread.

Reply #363654 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Billy Fikes had some crazy hops.

Reply #363656 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I played with Eric Atkins at Bulleen before he played at Dandenong and can agree that without a doubt he was the most athletic player I have ever seen. Fair headcase though.

Reply #363657 | Report this post

Panther32  
Years ago

Billy Fikes, Leon Trimmingham...

Reply #363661 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Super E end up being sent home and ended up in the US army. He has a son here who lives in Melbourne.Those alley oops were insane.Just throw it up near the ring and he would do the rest. A guy you'd be happy to pay money to watch just for his jumping ability.

Reply #363662 | Report this post

Hooping  
Years ago

HAMBURGER BOB HEATH.................LOL

Reply #363675 | Report this post

Hooping  
Years ago

Al Green (6'2) and dont forgat James Crawford

Reply #363676 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Hamburger BoB...he was the most unathletic import to ever play SEABL!!!

Reply #363677 | Report this post

Hooping  
Years ago

Thats what the ..........LOL was for.

Reply #363679 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Fernandez Lockett definately up there. Could throw it down.

Reply #363681 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Brad Nuckles lol

Reply #363683 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

Ray Shirley, Bennie Lewis & Brian Vaughns.

Reply #363686 | Report this post

Very Old  
Years ago

for Seabl - pre-knee blowout - Howard Shockley - there was no substitute. just a 6'4" nugget of muscle and dreadlocks

- arms that looked like most other power forwards' legs, made Mark Dalton's chest and shoulders appear anorexic.

Saw him grab an offensive rebound off the ring - on the way up - and while up there - just for something to do - brought the ball over his head from the back and just bang the ball against the top of the backboard to get attention - and then two handed slam dunk on the way down .

done so quick you had to replay it in your head to work out what just happened.

very , very scary man to play against.

Reply #363687 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Fikes. Hurst.

Reply #363705 | Report this post

GOGGLES  
Years ago

Clyde Jordan!

Reply #363725 | Report this post

Hooping  
Years ago

Jumpin Joe Hurst (Hobart , Mildura)

Reply #363730 | Report this post

Hooping  
Years ago

Tyrone Lee (Woodville)

Reply #363731 | Report this post

Matt Ryan  
Years ago

Billy Fikes or Ron Nunnelly

Reply #363743 | Report this post

Clyde Jordan !!!

Reply #363746 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

James Smith, Joe Hurst, Drederick Irving, a young Randy Anderson

Reply #363748 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ismail Muhammed as well

Reply #363749 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Yeah, Ismail (Izzy) Muhammed played witht the Supercats a few years and won everything, could dunk it like a bomb at any angle and always excited the crowd with his athletic moves!

How he never got an NBL gig is beyond a joke.....

Reply #363758 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Ismail was/is not athletically in the class of a lot of guys here. Don't get this wrong - very good athlete but not like some of these guys. Ton Nunnelly was great, as was Joe Hurst.

How he never got an nbl job is easily explained, as is CJ, sized as a PG/SG but not consistent enough in either role to be an impact in the NBL.

Reply #363779 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Well, Ismail certainly worked hard to improve sertain aspects of his game, like his shooting off the dribble and mid range shot in general, all while at the Supercats.

This lead to a second chance at the Bobcats (NBA), however they decided not to take him (look where they are today)...

All things being equal (and I know they aren't), Izzy would have to have been an asset to at least one NBL team in the past couple of years, surely!!?

If little else, he would bring bums on seats, now there is something a couple of NBL teams would love to see..........

Reply #363780 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

I don't think he would have put bums on seats.

Being entertaining at the SEABL level does not cut it at the NBL level. He's a SEABL level player, his NZ numbers for example are not amazing and I think the NZNBL is a little above the SEABL these days.

Lots of guys get tryouts at NBA clubs, most people call them fodder...

Reply #363805 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Paul Davis

Reply #363841 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Thanks HO, not being aware of the NZ league's standard I have not seen his numbers, so I will take it on face value.

Must say, though the Supercats are flying, he would always be welcome back down at Geelong!

Maybe, sometimes it is about the fit within a team and the confidence of the player, you see Izzy is a stand up guy who wants to play where he enjoys it, not just for the money...

Have you seen him play, first hand?

Reply #363858 | Report this post

Wayne  
Years ago

I know he was bbl but the point guard from the tassie devils. Won a college slam
Dunk champ. Skinny as no jump shot but man he could fly. Someone please remind me of his name???

Reply #363945 | Report this post

Wayne  
Years ago

Just remembered myself

Calvin Telford?

Reply #363954 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mike Kelly

Reply #364206 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

I have played and watched a s... load of ball over the years, but the biggest strongest player i have ever played against has to be "the Shock" Howard Shockley Coburg days, just awsome strongest hands i have ever come across, i was dumb enough to grab the ball while he was on the way to slam it! I thought i was gonna go through the hoop with it! Seen him play awsome SEABLE days, just incredible and entertaining to watch. Then watched him again in his Ballarat days, just crazy all above the bucket and made fools of all the Ballarat "Stars" made them all look like children getting a Shockley education! Argh they were the days. Does anybody know where he is these days still in Oz or went home?

Reply #367416 | Report this post

eddie  
Years ago

After reading the comments it is sad to announce that Howard Shockley passed away today.

Reply #468928 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I saw Izzy play first hand and he wasn't the best import on his team.

I'm pretty sure I saw a guy Marvin Dixon dunk from near the foul line in a game although I was very young so I'm probably exaggerating.

Eric Bailey was good to watch as well.

Probably should put Jason Joynes on this list as well. The type of athlete we may not see again.

Reply #468937 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Brick Muhhamed is hid name cos all he shot from the foul line were bricks

Reply #468970 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Talford never played seabl. BTW Shockley had just passed.

Reply #468971 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Jason Joynes".. HAHAHA

Reply #468979 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ray Shirley, when he played for Bulleen in the 80's, was the biggest black hole though!

Reply #468987 | Report this post

spectres4  
Years ago

In the early 90's I watched Randy Anderson single handedly destroy the Spectres at Nunawading. That dude was a beast in his early days when he felt like playing!! I’m not sure what numbers he put up that Sunday Afternoon but there must have been 10-12 dunks alone. Reverse jams, Alley-Oops, Baseline jams, He played above the rim. He crushed Steve de Laveaga, Jason Smith etc. He was literally unguardable that day!!

Reply #848761 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Randy was up there but Fikes was amazing.

Reply #848771 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As a local, did Grant Yates play for the Buffaloes back in the day? Think he ended up in Canberra, but he had amazing hops.
And I seem to remember a young Sam McKinnon playing against Murray Bridge in a final, pre nbl and going against Fikes and Ron Nunneley. There's a few old state league grand final games on YouTube, Ron's in one of those, but just watching him every Wednesday (I think) back in the day as a young fella was amazing to see such a pure scorer. Pre live stats obviously, but you would read the Tip In the following week and wonder how he effortlessly dropped 36.

Reply #848777 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I certainly remember going to Murray Bridge back in the early 90's. 3 imports? 1 naturalised? Never seen so many dunks from any team ever. PLus the marine ply floor was amazing. One of the weirdest venues I have ever been to.

Reply #848797 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gary Gaspard Ballarat Miners was good to watch....

Reply #848827 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:15 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754