More Trevor Gleeson tales... (Daryl Corletto)

"When I went to say goodbye to the coaching staff Trevor Gleeson blatantly lied to my face, he called me disrespectful, dishonest and told me I wasn't loyal... This guy had been (in Melbourne) for 3 weeks I’d been here for 14 years" - Daryl Corletto

A great chat with Daryl Corletto at www.aussiehoopla.com about what really happened at the Melbourne Tigers, Patty Mills, winning a third NBL Championship and how it compares to the others.

Not to mention his chances of one day playing for the Great Britain Olympic team and what the Breakers off season moves will be.

If you like that we also dropped our first "Hyping the Hoopla" basketball round up podcast where Dan Boyce and former Cairns Taipans big man Matt Smith discuss the latest in Aussie Basketball, including;

1.Trevor Gleeson being stood down by the Melbourne Tigers
2. How important is a coach in the NBL?
3. Does the NBL need a second team in Melbourne?
4. NBL Free Agent moves

As well as "Trash Talk" where Matt Smith looks at the craziest thing said on the NBL Online Forums

You can also download us at iTunes
http://itunes.apple.com/au/podcast/aussie-hoopla-podcast/id486025859?ign-mpt=uo%3D4

or head to the website

Topic #28378 | Report this topic

mel  
Years ago

Listened to the interview and it was very good. What we didn't get was what the lie was DC was told to his face. The other dishonest etc may have been how the coach felt which is not a lie. Love you as a player DC and I reckon the tigers did you a huge favour after the train wreck they had.
As for your comments about Trigger I went to every home game and he was a great scorer but his defence, softness and selfishness is what got him benched (Kobe style). And I spoke recently with Dan Dillion and the reason he is leaving is because of the treatment the board has given the coach. He enjoyed Gleesons coaching.
I reckon another two years in NZ and then DC home to coach the Tigers.
I also think Gleeson and the tigers are not a good fit and should part ways with dignity and common sense. Some coaches don't fit clubs (blight at my saints classic example).

Go Tigers

Reply #363784 | Report this post

mel  
Years ago

Listened to the interview and it was very good. What we didn't get was what the lie was DC was told to his face. The other dishonest etc may have been how the coach felt which is not a lie. Love you as a player DC and I reckon the tigers did you a huge favour after the train wreck they had.
As for your comments about Trigger I went to every home game and he was a great scorer but his defence, softness and selfishness is what got him benched (Kobe style). And I spoke recently with Dan Dillion and the reason he is leaving is because of the treatment the board has given the coach. He enjoyed Gleesons coaching.
I also think Gleeson and the tigers are not a good fit and should part ways with dignity and common sense. Some coaches don't fit clubs (blight at my saints classic example).

Go Tigers

Reply #363785 | Report this post

harold  
Years ago

Go Tigers

Reply #363786 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Go Tigers

Reply #363788 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

yea we got you the first 3 times

Reply #363789 | Report this post

hoopie  
Years ago

DC will never get the job coaching the Tigers.

Once he aired the dirt in the media and embarassed the hell out of the club bosses, the existing set-up would never get him back. He'd be a constant reminder to the hierarchy of how poorly they'd acted.

Only if there was a total clean-out by a ruthless new owner, which will never happen.

Reply #363790 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reply #363792 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeh we got you the first 3 times

Reply #363793 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yea we got you the first 3 times

Reply #363794 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

yea we got you the first 3 times

Reply #363795 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

Patty Mills

Reply #363797 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

God this is getting messy. This is heading to a very ugly place. the only person showing any real class is Gleeson who has said nothing other than he has been stood down. DC love you as a tiger mate but seriously build a bridge. Anstey come out and tell the truth to us loyal fans. Gleeson get your pay out and say nothing negative and leave us fans with some hope.
I want to hear the truth from all concerned and lets then move on.

Reply #363801 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

DC did build a bridge. A bloody BIG bridge all the way to New Zealand. And at the end of that bridge was a nice shiny championship ring. It's not his fault if people keep asking him about the situation with Gleeson. Nor is it his fault if Gleeson handled the situation poorly.

Reply #363803 | Report this post

Trevor g  
Years ago

Nothing

Reply #363806 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If Corletto did build a bridge why is he still constantly talking about the tigers? He should be celebrating, not going on about the past and his former team.

Reply #363815 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

Corletto was asked about the Tigers in the interview. His answer was very gracious. He said he didn't hold any grudges against the club, including the fans and office (even Seamus!), except he had an issue with Gleeson's comments about him. Fair enough, really.

Good on him for all the success he has achieved with the Breakers. I was hoping we'd see him at the Olympics for GB.

Reply #363820 | Report this post

MW  
Years ago

tomorrow is that 1 week mark, wonder what's the verdict

Reply #363835 | Report this post

Chad  
Years ago

Sorry to see DC go from the tigers but patty mills was the best thing that happened to the nbl this year. After he left so did the interest for many people. The nbl is heading for extinction (dodos) if things don't improve on and off the court. The once proud tigers are a shambles. Ex players bagging the club are doing no one any good. I feel sorry for both DC and Trevor. C'mon tigers get it together

Reply #363846 | Report this post

Reg  
Years ago

Terrible headline to this blog. More Trevor Gleeson stories. He has done nothing wrong!!! The interviewer is so blatantly not a Gleeson fan and picked an easy target with DC. What is the lie he told DC? Really poor interviewing!!

Reply #363856 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

great post vart.

Reply #363861 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

Chad, don't think that the farcical situation that the Tigers are in is reflective of the rest of the teams or league. Mills was good for Melbourne, thats about it. Go and check his Twitter timeline during pre-season last year and tell me he was good for the league.

Reply #363866 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Good for the league but I don't know about "best thing."

Reply #363879 | Report this post

Rick  
Years ago

I'm a gold coast boy and I went to the tigers game and all the kids talked about and wanted to see was pat mills. Chad maybe a bit over the top but mills was the reason Me and my mates went to the game. To be totally honest Aussie b'ball is pretty ordinary and needs Mills type players to give it some excitement and profile. Sorry for being negative but I'm being honest

Reply #363887 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How many were at that game? 500?

Reply #363893 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

Mills brought 'celebrity' to the NBL. In no way was it his basketball ability alone that put bums on seats.

Very Good plyer? undoubtably yes,
Superstar? not in my opinion!

Whether 'celebrity' is a good thing or not I guess it up to the individual but for me Ill always go to games for the actual contest rather than the sideshow that goes along with it.

Reply #363895 | Report this post

Kev  
Years ago

We need celebrity to sell this thing we need razzle dazzle we need excitement because that's what society wants. I don't like it but that's the reality. The nbl is boring and that's also the reality. Who would you rather watch Miami or spurs?

Reply #363901 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

Statman - Mills was leading the league in scoring when he left for China. The Tigers had a winning record, and he was only just getting warmed up and used to playing in the NBL (note his 32 points against Adelaide). He would have been a runaway MVP if he had of played out the whole season.

Reply #363904 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

But he was never ever ever ever going to play the whole season

Reply #363911 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I thought Patty would play the whole season because I worked on the assumption the NBA lockout was not going to end and that he wouldn't bail on the Tigers/NBL for a better deal elsewhere.

Reply #363914 | Report this post

Tweet Tweet  
Years ago

I saw Patty play for the Tigers when they played the Sixers in Adelaide. Turns out it was his last game in the NBL.

All I remember from the game is a still picture in my mind of Mills dribbling the ball up court. I don't even remember who won the game.

I do remember the general area I sat in the stadium also.

No doubt through no fault of his own, that's the extent of the impression the whole Mills In The NBL experience left on me.

Reply #363916 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

Tweet tweet you don't remember the winner but you remember Patty dribbling the ball. I would say that he left a lasting impression on you (I'm not bagging you tweet tweet great that you made a comment). And no doubt one day you will tell people about it. This is how best to sell a product get people talking about it.
I saw a very below par Roy Jones Jrn box in sydney and I can say to people I saw him live. I don't remember anything much about the night but I remember Roy.
Keep the post coming and lets get basketball back on the public sports radar.

Reply #363919 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agree with Statman. Didnt really do well against the good teams but fun to watch against the crap ones and brought a bit of unexpected publicity to the league. Was surprised he wasnt better though, I would have thought a guy who can score 30 plus in the NBA would have no problem with good NBL teams but I was wrong. The again Eddie Gill scored 20 plus in the NBA and he was only good here. Happy to have seen them both though.

Reply #363921 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

At the time of his departure Patty was leading the league in scoring, 4th in assists and had a crap Tigers team on top of the ladder at 6-3 who went 5-14 after he left. His impact was huge and he basically had MVP in the bag if he had've stuck around.

Reply #363929 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Couldnt really produce against the good teams though, four good games against spud teams which was surprising given he is such a great talent. Perhaps he just needed more time to get used to the league. We'll never know, he is doing very well for himself now.

Reply #363932 | Report this post

Tweet Tweet  
Years ago

anonymous, but the thing is that's all I rememeber. A still picture in my mind of him dribbling the ball. I don't remember if he played well or not. I can't remember him making any shots or any assists, though I assume he did.

Reply #363955 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

He was pretty awesome that day, 32 points I think.

Reply #363965 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

Anon #363914
The funny thing is that Mills decided the NBA lockout wouldn't end, too, and that's *when* he bailed on the Tigers!

Reply #363972 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Oh my. I just had a chance to listen to the podcast. Wow, talk about needing a violin DC. Mate, get over it. I can't understand why you'd have a personal issue with Trevor, show me a coach that would choose you over Patty Mills and I'll show you a bad coach. Trevor did the right thing getting rid of DC. He may be able to dribble a ball but unfortunately for him, he's also good at dribbling his mouth. Get over it. I hope Trevor gets a payout and gets out. He deserves better. Let the old boys have their Tigers.

Reply #364373 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:33 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754