Years ago

chairlift tactic in basketball ?

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/new-chairlift-tactic-under-microscope/story-fnddcv23-1226366085449

was used in recent national netball game - will / could we use it in basketball ?

how can you legally box this out ?

nothing in rules that says you cant use this tactic.

only if it is a basket tend.....

Topic #28383 | Report this topic

Mystro  
Years ago

that move requires 2 people to defend 1 player, ball movement will defeat it every time

Reply #363852 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i've seen players lift a guy up to dunk a few times - Loy Vaught did it at the Clippers in the 90's - the dude with the ball didn't even know what was going on!

Reply #363855 | Report this post

Years ago

so could you put someone on your shoulders and run around ?

Reply #363860 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

It is worthwhile noting the team using it was a NZ team. In rugby union lineouts the lift is used, so I guess that's where the inspiration came from.

It's a tactic that has short term success. If you are a shooter and you know it's coming, like Mystro said, ball movement will defeat it. Either pass off to the free player, or else wait for them to commit to being in the air and then wait for them to be coming down (a bit like streetball)

Reply #363871 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

I agree, basketball is too fast and unlike netball you can dribble the ball around a statue defense!

Some defensive zones may resemble this tactic at times, but I can't see this working in hoops, thank goodness...

Could be a sight to see in netball though (if you get what I mean)?

Reply #363878 | Report this post

Naph  
Years ago

Men tend to use something called a vertical leap to achieve the same effect.

Reply #363882 | Report this post

Years ago

wedgie potential is critical

Reply #363892 | Report this post

Jerry Denard Jr  
Years ago

What about its application at the offensive end? For alley-oops / lobs etc?

Reply #363908 | Report this post

phil  
Years ago

lollllll

as already stated we play a sport that doesnt stupidly limit what someone can physically do. we can jump.

Reply #363924 | Report this post

phil  
Years ago

lollllll

as already stated we play a sport that doesnt stupidly limit what someone can physically do. we can jump.

Reply #363926 | Report this post

fstos  
Years ago

At either end of the court the lifter and the lifted in combo would have the lateral movement of Axel Dench. Nuff said....

On the other hand I cant wait for some hi def camel toes.

Reply #363933 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

would be a goaltend. netball has no goal-tending rules....used to good effect by good bball players in mixed games!

Reply #363942 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

should be goal tending if it is blocked on the way down thats my opinion

Reply #363943 | Report this post

Melvin Corpuscle  
Years ago

Used to play social at Wayville and there was a social team that would do that on offence. One player would push his man under the rim, and when his team mate approached, original guy would turn, grab his airborne teammate by the hips and chuck him up at the rim for the dunk.

Illegal play, but looked sick.

Reply #363952 | Report this post

Years ago

my grandad told me about this guy that used to put the ball between his defenders legs, do a hand stand / flip around / over the defender then get the ball behind the defender.

Reply #363976 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:59 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754