HO
Years ago

Basketball's Top 20?

Article in the Age this morning about the 50 most powerful people in AFL. Anyone game to try and sort out the top 20 powerbrokers in Aussie Basketball?

Do you place a guy like Mills or Bogut in the top 10 just because of their media reach?
Is any NBA Superstar worthy of a position because their influence? LBJ? Kobe?
Would you list LJ?
Brett Brown?
Wayne Bird as CEO of Australia's biggest basketball state body?
Is Boti a serious contender for #1?

Do we actually have enough people to round out a top 20?

Topic #28387 | Report this topic

Vart  
Years ago

Andrew Gaze would have to be number 1 wouldn't he? He's all over the TV with different ads, on sports radio in Melbourne 2-3 times per week, on the board of BA, involved in basketball media.

Plus he's been linked to the Basketball Australia CEO and Melbourne Tigers head coaching jobs at the same time! Ha ha. On ya Drewey!

Reply #363917 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Andrew Gaze - Highest profile sports identity
Andrew Bogut - best male player
Lauren Jackson - best player period!
Kristina Kinneally - says she has pull....let's see
Scott Derwin - for now!
Lorraine Landon - still pulling strings!
Brett Brown - NBA coach in waiting and Boomers coach
Wayne Carroll - CEO largest association, state basketball centre in VIC
Chuck Harmison - still head of nbl
Shane Heal - biggest city, biggest ego!
Patty Mills - NBA star
Liz Cambage - Giant P.I.T.A.
Boti Nagy - only bloke writing about the sport
Kate Lundy - ALP Minister for Sport (gone!!!!)
Luke Hartsuyker - LP Shadow Minister for Sport (get in tight!!!!)
David Mott - Programming Director Channel 10
Wayne Bird - Head of BV

Reply #363922 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Luc Longley?

Reply #363930 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Does anyone think Gaze has genuine power in the sport? My view is that most people (in the sport) treat him like a bit of a joke, whereas outside the sport he might get some airtime.

Reply #363938 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If only Gina rhinehart liked basketball.......

Reply #363941 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gina rhinehart likes nothing except money, right wing opinions and food

Reply #363948 | Report this post

Who Me?  
Years ago

Vlahov?

Reply #363949 | Report this post

Who Me?  
Years ago

Vlahov?

Reply #363950 | Report this post

willy  
Years ago

my ramblings:
- i'd say whoever is in charge of broadcasting nbl games online has a big role
- ditto the producers at channel ten - if it's a bad product nbl brand will go further into the negative
- boss of nike asia-pacific, should they decide to invest in australian grassroots basketball, massive untapped potential i reckon, and a chance for an aspirational brand with strong historical connection to the game to be affiliated with our dodgy nbl
- nba asia-pacific, get a game down here mane. get nba on one again. can't be that hard, or at v least give nbl the platform for nba tv (and let nbl tv be a $30 add-on or something reasonable)
- the brave person who walks into the nbl office and demands every logo, every wordmark, every 2-bit website, every 'it's all fun'-esque shonky tagline from here to wellington is matrix-penned from our brain and from this point on all uniforms, websites, club logos (everything) are the product of a considered, professional and strategic design team (internal, external whatevs)
- aside from that everyone else who loves the game buying memberships, keeping up the social chatter, making sure things like dreamteam crank so that one day when someone in charge gets it right we haven't lost touch!!!

also, tell me i'm dreaming, but:
- nba2k12, spend 10 hours to put the nbl in it.

Reply #363951 | Report this post

Encased Heeding  
Years ago

What about Carfino. His knowledge, understanding and par-excellence coverage has lifted the profile of basketball to where it is today....

Hmmm...

The problem with any list is that most are competing factions that cancel or ignore the work of the others!

Reply #363956 | Report this post

sitiveni  
Years ago

Gina is lovely. one of the smartest people i have ever met. This is what's sad about our sport, out of all those names Anon you mentioned only a few would the majority of our australian population know.

Reply #363958 | Report this post

Rock  
Years ago

Wow, it's a good thread.

Can we make a difference?

Can some people get off their backsides, stand up, and make a difference?

If you don't know how, let's see if we can be a bit strategic, and ask Isaac to coordinate a thread that does more than whinge. (Is that going too far outside your parameters?)

Sorry Isaac ,
I don't mean to put you under the pump but a central node seems the obvious starting point.

and yes, I am doing my bit..but happy to fit in..

Reply #363963 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:17 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754