No Ethics
Years ago

Quote re Borrego situation

Basketball SA competitions manager Paul Arnott said the league would only look into the matter if Borrego was not cleared to play by the Thunderbirds and therefore was not "ready to play", as required by the by-law.

“Any player who meets the wording of the by-law has, by definition, done enough to make have that game count towards qualification ... and it's not for us to speculate why a player is not subbed into the game,” Arnott said

Topic #28392 | Report this topic

Jack Toft  
Years ago

I think you'll find the definition of "ready to play" is someone who is in uniform, sitting on the bench and awaiting the coach to say "you're on"

Reply #363992 | Report this post

Follow up question: Will BSA accept that when her coach (Sharon Simons) says "Carla's been sitting on the bench at this stage but netball comes first so if there’s any niggles she won’t play," (Messenger article)
that it is no longer speculation, but clearly stated fact?

"we’re quite willing to accommodate her ... we’re just waiting for (Netball SA) to give the OK to play her",
This clearly means that Carla currently cannot play, yet she's still being put on the team sheet, despite not being allowed to play (due to Netball SA contract).

Reply #363994 | Report this post

Years ago

SO really they are saying.

"Its OK if its my club"

Can't imagine Sturt being allowed to get away with it.

Reply #363996 | Report this post

No Ethics  
Years ago

Pickles you are 100% correct but as stated in my name some Ethics are required here.

Instead of making decisions based on what is best for your own club, you need to make a decision based on being an unbiased employee for BSA (Competition Manager)

Reply #363997 | Report this post

Carla  
Years ago

Pickles, you have no idea...

Reply #363999 | Report this post

Dear carla, please play the ball, not the poster. Why do i have no idea?

This issue is large enough to warrant a messenger article, which is the basis for the opinion i have posted.

Reply #364002 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah Carla Pickles has got the quote from the paper. I actually loved the quote "Clubs could look at it in another way that they're pretty damn lucky Carla's not playing at the moment". Actually Sharon you need her tp play to cover your lack of coaching ability.

There has been media coverage on channel 10 , and radio.

Hope Southern get them tonight. The handshake at the end of the game should be interesting as Willie was quoted " I don't think it is right - it stinks"

Reply #364006 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

Pickles - the Messenger just published a story about 2 people having a nice golden retriever that people in the neighbourhood like to pat a lot. I look forward to hearing some views on that issue!

Reply #364007 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Peter, anything to deflect from the Eagles cheating?

Reply #364008 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And BSA staff who coach at Forestville allowing it too happen.

Funny the thy changed the schedule at Forestvilles request as well.

Reply #364010 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I can't believe anyone is suprised the Competition Manager is letting this go.

Reply #364011 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Like Gretel Tippett , for Carla Borrego
the agravation is not really worth it.

Reply #364012 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't know why they need Carla, they have talented juniors put more into their development like other clubs do. That was in the article too FYI.

Reply #364013 | Report this post

Devo  
Years ago

On the soresheet tonight and just rocked up in uniform.

Reply #364016 | Report this post

Devo  
Years ago

Not warming up though!!

Reply #364018 | Report this post

Years ago

Not suprised.

Foretville have always needed to cheat to win anything. Like changing the way the draw was done to benefit them.

Watched their U10 girls stand in the keyway all game today and zoned as well. Coach kept yelling at them to get back. Again BSA does nothing to stop it fro happening.

Shallow victory after shallow victory.

Reply #364019 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

get a copy of her netball sa contract , ask
the doctor if she really does have a niggle . if she plays for 29 seconds , rule that is insufficent . keep
the sport small . never allow others in .

Reply #364020 | Report this post

PeterJohn, it's a basketball forum. I'm talking about basketball. Wtf are you on about?

Camel, provided Borrego qualifies for finals through the same process, and in the same spirit as al other finals players, I'm happy for her to win MVP again. She was the best player in the 2011 GF.

Reply #364021 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Southern just beat the Eagles ...

Reply #364024 | Report this post

Disgusted  
Years ago

I can not believe forrestville would allow a twist of words on bsa account to try and qualify a player.
Either your in the team or your not!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ok a regular player gets an injury cant play the qualifying amount of games ask for an exemption YES but to put someones name on a score sheet week after week who isn't even in the state let alone the stadium is absoloutly disgusting
TONIGHT the woman in question was there, but apparently injured or sick so can't take the court, what a load of crap, it is disgusting the way the eagles are trying to qualify her.
Actually i saw Borego tonight sitting on the bench as well as in the bar at the same time does that mean ther are two of her and does tonight mean she has qualified twice in one game ?
Wouldn't surprise me if that happened, i teach the kids i coach about desperation but this club has taken that terminology to a whole new level.
I looked up the word Cheat on Wikipeadia and all it said was Forrestville !!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply #364030 | Report this post

Dah  
Years ago

'Disgusted', I was worried when I read your post until I saw it was Forrestville..For a minute I thought you were talking about Forestville..

From down South by any chance...

Don't forget to put your Crayon away when you have finished with it...

I looked up the word Discusted on Wikipeadia and all it said was NFI !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply #364033 | Report this post

oberon41  
Years ago

Really? Forestville was spelt incorrectly on Wikipedia? How interesting...

Reply #364034 | Report this post

Zone Buster  
Years ago

'Quote'...

"Foretville have always needed to cheat to win anything. Like changing the way the draw was done to benefit them."

What part of the draw was changed to benefit them..
And when have they cheated to win...

Oh do you mean the state junior champs this year..
Bit close to your heart perhaps....

"Watched their U10 girls stand in the keyway all game today and zoned as well. Coach kept yelling at them to get back. Again BSA does nothing to stop it fro happening."

Wow, a coach asking their players to get back on defence..I bet all those 7 & 8 year olds really packed it in..

All I heard happened at that game was was 2 Sturt people standing on the sidelines complaining about nothing all game..(And it certainly wasn't the Sturt Coach)

Reply #364036 | Report this post

No Ethics  
Years ago

Look, I was not at the game tonight but if she was there in uniform with her name on the sheet then they are clearly tring to qualify her for finals.

I think it would be fantastic if she played finals

Great for the game!!!!

If she plays (actualy plays) the minimum number of games to qualify

If Netball SA allow her to play two weeks from the end of the season and then she plays 1 or 2 games in the regular season and then plays finals based on other games earlier in the season simply because she was in uniform and on the sheet then they have definetely "CHEATED"

I have no problem with her sitting on the bench for her team but if she is not playing then there is no need to have the uniform on

Reply #364045 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Forestville seem to lack players with heart so it is kind of SA Netball to lend them some ticker.

Reply #364047 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gee Sturt & Norwood must love the heat being off them for a change.

It's all probably irrelevant cos if Thunderbirds make the grand final Carla probably won't get the opportunity to play ABA, which she obviously wants to do.

Also Forestville are very undermanned, so they might not even make finals. Though they haven't been huge on talent before & have come through with a championship. So people can say many things about Sharon, but saying she can't coach when she's coached 3 in a row is clutching at straws.

Reply #364050 | Report this post

For the record, I want to make it clear that I've never said Sharon can't coach. My only issue is anyone being allowed to qualify outside the rules.

Reply #364051 | Report this post

Years ago

"then she plays 1 or 2 games in the regular season and then plays finals based on other games earlier in the season simply because she was in uniform and on the sheet then they have definetely "CHEATED"

Based on this 'No Ethics' then every team 'cheats' every year with their bench players that don't get on but are eligible to play finals..

Reply #364053 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Imagine if basketball was important how big an issue this would be...........get over it folks, because it's every cheat for him/herself rules in hicksville and always will be.

Reply #364055 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No they aren't. Cause every week they suit up they will enter the court if asked. Borego won't because she is "not allowed too".

.The Issue here is the definition of "ready to play" as per the bylaws.

Reply #364058 | Report this post

Wam Soosnam  
Years ago

Borrego cant play next week because she will be playing the Vixens in Melbourne.

Sharon says:

"Damm lucky" for Norwood otherwise she could have been the difference.

Reply #364060 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

"Based on this 'No Ethics' then every team 'cheats' every year with their bench players that don't get on but are eligible to play finals.."

#12, a good point. There will always be those 18 yo girls who go to every training, get used as training bait, suit up every week and sit at the end of the bench. The coach promises them junk time minutes each week to keep them interested, but every game they never seem to be up by enough to warrant them court time.

The key point, is that #12 player on the roster has the intention to play in that game.

Reply #364064 | Report this post

+1

Reply #364065 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There is a difference between bemch players not playing and players that are contractually not able to play but pretend to have niggle or not well.

Reply #364066 | Report this post

Interested  
Years ago

I was at the Norwood-West game
and Kelsey Ireland didnt play but she was still suited up and she also warmed up
to me this is what needs to happen with carla, who cares if she makes the court as long as she warms up its alright

Reply #364067 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

But Borego isn't allowed to warm up.

Reply #364068 | Report this post

Annon  
Years ago

Isn't it all backfiring without all of the feedback and concerns anyway..?

Loss to Southern, North, Centrals because they are leaving a spot open for a player who cannot play

Keep her on the list as it makes them one short each week!

Reply #364073 | Report this post

Years ago

How are they short each week when only suiting 10 players anyway...?

Hopefully Ireland had her hair up & wasn't eating an apple...

Reply #364076 | Report this post

Fleagle  
Years ago

BSA are waiting for the Presidents to complain (Basketball Adelaide) before doing a thing. On Hoops we are just sharing opinions which we will argue about between ourselves. Pointless.

BSA by-law 7.2 states that if there is a discrepancy in rules defer to ACC rules. (available on the CABL website)

ACC rules on Finals eligibility is the same as BSA by-laws except for the addition of "must appear on court"

The rules are there in black an white, no gray BSA interpretations.

Reply #364078 | Report this post

Interested is spot on!!! If she warms up, then no one can complain - she will have met the criteria for qualification!

Reply #364080 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Strange how she is the League's best player .
Hasn't played a lotta Basketball .
40% seems a lot , when you're used to 3 games to qualify.

Reply #364081 | Report this post

Fleagle  
Years ago

Carla - please do some layups prior to each game then we can drop this subject

Reply #364084 | Report this post

Interested  
Years ago

fleagle that is all we ask

Reply #364087 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

She nearly had to go on last night, would have been interesting as 3 players fouled out and another couple in foul trouble

Reply #364088 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nearly go on ... seriously she is not allowed to. Her contract for Netball would be more important than playing for forestville

Reply #364094 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So forestville would have played with 4 players then? Just shows they are making a mockery of the competition

Reply #364104 | Report this post

fan  
Years ago

For what it is worth I think the quality, or lack of quality, of some of the teams is what is making a mockery of the competition. although I agree the Borego situation is a sham.

Reply #364106 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't think it's a complicated situation legally.

Can't criticize Forestville for trying to take advantage of what it considers to be a loophole. They know that Borrego will make a big difference in the Finals. The argument that there is a greater good by showing young kids they can play two sports is just spin to avoid the ethical considerations associated with attempting to win silverware with a player who should not be allowed to play finals.

Is it good for the game for Lauren Jackson or patty mills to play ABL finals when they haven't played all season? Yes, for the fans on grand final day but it makes a mockery with respect to the integrity of the competition.

If one is contractually prevented from playing basketball then any Court in South Australia would find that player is not ready to play. If the matter proceeded to Court for interpretation of the Rule, then how could Forestbille answer the question of why it did not play one of the best players in the competition if she was in fact ready to play?

To what degree I am wrong then good luck to Forestville and BSA has to take a look at the Rule for future seasons.

Reply #364108 | Report this post

boy blue  
Years ago

total farce and BSA need to hang head in shame if they do nothing about this blantant cheating by manipulating the rules without any care for the spirit of the game

says a lot for the attitude of the club involved doesnt it - play by the rules but bend them - as far as can but dont break
Disgraceful but very clever plan - hope my club can find a loop hole NOT

Reply #364110 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's the players I feel for, coach obviously has no faith in them winning on their own merits.

Reply #364111 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

My view is that if she is ready to play she is able to play if need be. Now I am not sure if the netball contract says she is not able to play or is Sharon the dumbest coach in the league by having the GF MVP sitting on her bench and "ready to play" but then doesn't use her and loses close games. Surely she didn't injure herself walking from the change rooms to the bench or pulling a blanket over her knees while waiting there ready to go onto the court!!!

Reply #364116 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Also, I know that seveal other clubs were chasing Carla but were informed she could not play early in the season as she was not allowed to while playing for the Thunderbirds. Seems to me the evidence is building up that she is not ready to play.

Reply #364117 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I feel that the coach and the manager are morally corrupt. They name a player on the scoresheet that is not even in the stadium, name a player they know is not going to be there and then wehn the scorers give them the score sheet sign it to be a true and correct record of the team.

Reply #364123 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kelsey ireland is actually coming back from an injury, as she hasn't played since being injured in the Lightning game back in November. She isn't off playing another sport and then having "niggles".
Medical clearance would back her up also.

Reply #364124 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I understand it was a terrible finger nail injury that has kept the norwood player on the bench

Reply #364127 | Report this post

Panther32  
Years ago

On something that happened a few years back which is almost the complete opposite, I remember either Forestville or North playing someone like Newley or Pero I think it was for about 5 games after the halfway mark to qualify for the finals. Pero wasn't going to qualify and was leaving about a game out from finals but helped to get them just into the finals.
Is this fair on the teams who just missed out???
Without him, Forestville definitely weren't a better side than those who finished 6th and 7th, but with him they were, but he was never going to play finals!
And it showed when I think it was Norwood annihilated them in the first final.
I guess we see a pattern here....

Reply #364130 | Report this post

I have a daughter coming back from a long term injury (a few years) and at this stage there appears to be a chance she would be up and about toward the end of the season. She has both netball and basketball teams wanting to qualify her in their respective competitions. It has been interesting to note the difference between the qualification criteria between the two sports. As has been noted in previous posts, in B'ball you only have to be suited up "ready to play", not actually take the court. The "philosophical" discussions in previous posts are easily avoided in netball where the rule states that you must take the court for a set minimum number of quarters to be eligible to play finals. Basically they are saying that you can qualify an injured player but you must be prepared to put her on the court and essentially play one man short. Seems an easy way to avoid the "Borrego" situation.

I have a feeling that this may add fuel to the fire but the players on the B'ball team have made it quite clear that they are more than happy to include her at during the finals at the expense of their court time. She has declined the offer as she believes that it's not fair on the players that have played all year. A decision based on moral rather than law!

Reply #364132 | Report this post

Panther32  
Years ago

In football you have to take the field as well from what I understand.

Reply #364134 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Panther - Re Pero I am pretty sure it was Forestville!

Reply #364139 | Report this post

Mimas 44  
Years ago

this situation is pretty clean cut, borrego cannot take to the court and therefore is unable to qualify for the finals. BSA'S own bylaws state this,i have nothing against carla infact i think she is an excellent athlete and the game would be better if she was playing. However Sharon was quoted as saying they/Forestville are waiting for the OK from netball SA before she can take the court, so pretty simply put grow some seeds BSA and make an example of forestville for blatantly breaking /exploiting your rules.

Reply #364143 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

AGreed Mimis

Reply #364158 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Oh enough already!

Having a contract with Netball SA has nothing to do with playing basketball. If Carla wants to breach it by playing basketball, that is entirely up to her. If she does the "right" thing and warms up for the qualifying amount of basketball games, then her eligibility for Forestville's finals campaign can't/shouldn't be questioned.

If she chooses to breach her contract with a different sporting body, that is nothing to do with anyone except her and the contracting entity.

Basketball people, stop your whinging.

Carla, just warm up, and shut the whinging up, sooner rather than later. Please!

Reply #364159 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hard for Carla to warm up with the team when she's in Perth or flying to New Zealand.

All you Forestville defenders continue to ignore the fact they're attempting to qualify her using games when she isn't even in the state!

Reply #364162 | Report this post

Derryn Hinch  
Years ago

Forestville!!!!

SHAME SHAME SHAME

Reply #364164 | Report this post

Years ago

And she is not allowed to warm up. People have injured themselves before in warmups. Can you imagine the uproar that would cause.

Reply #364168 | Report this post

fstos  
Years ago

If it is so easy to circumvent the intent of the rule one would really have to question WHY it is there in the first place.
Would a person who has allegiances to the club in question please attempt to explain why the rule is in place.
Once an explanation of why iforthcomingng the ethics (or not) of this situation are pretty obvious from where I sit as a neutral observer.

Reply #364178 | Report this post

Pero  
Years ago

Panther,

I think your memory is fading...Pero has qualified for finals each time he has played for Forestville..

The only pattern here is your continual bashing of the Eagles..

Reply #364180 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

A bit of an eagle feeding frenzy here. But some of the hysteria is way over the top. Panther32 I'm looking at you chump.

But to claim (as anon 162 has done) that Carla is qualifying for ABA games that are taking place while she's sipping champers, getting a foot massage and watching The Dictator on in seat 1A on the flight to Auckland is just stretching the truth a bit too far.

Reply #364183 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Seems they've put the story up on Adelaide Now.

Reply #364184 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well here is another view.
We talk about her taking a place of a junior if Forestville have no intentions of her hitting the court, but I would say to ALL Forestville members that if you are allowing you club managament to be paying Carla for sitting on the sidelines then I would be asking for my junior fees to be refunded. What a waste of money which comes from the juniors.
Oh and she would be getting paid top dollar because it is well known that Carla chases the money. As for the club president quote from the weekends paper what a load of horse manure........she aint helping any young girl playing basketball while she is not training ot playing. All she is showing and Forestville for that matter bad sportmenship by rorting a rule which is clearly there to allow real players to qualify if they dont get put onto the court. Actually quite funny because Sharon runs six players into the ground year in and year out and has not intention of putting 7, 8, 9, 10,11,0r 12 onto the court.
And really Carla where is your morale fibre in all this

Reply #364187 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's just a pitty madgen is off to china and the mavs won't be able to knock them out of the 5!!

Forestville bashing is as fun as sturt bashing

Reply #364189 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Overheard forestville parents talking Saturday that they have no depth!

No depth means need to CHEAT

Reply #364191 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thompson is off to china too so should be an interesting next couple of weeks.

Reply #364192 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Would be funny if FOrstville don't make it and all this coverage is for nothing.

Reply #364194 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

The irony would be as delicious as a masterchef dish, served cold of course.

Reply #364198 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

... sorry that's revenge that's served cold. Maybe irony is served tepid?

Reply #364199 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

A team needs 9 wins and splits to make the 5, usually 10 wins gets them a place, so they are looking for 5 more wins:

9 Norwood Flames L
10 Eastern Mavericks 75% W
11 @ Sturt Sabres W
12 Woodville Warriors 75% W
13 @ West Adelaide W
14 South Adelaide W
15 Central Districts L
16 @ North Adelaide L
17 Southern Tigers 60% L - CB Back 100%
18 @ Norwood Flames 50% L - CB 100%

The GF for the netball is 23/7 and so if the T-Birds make it and assuming CB plays after that, there's really only two games where she is 100% truely available, unless she can get a dodgy sick note from some bulk billing doctor in a methadone clinic to qualify her on the sick loophole for a few games.

The Warriors and Mavs are chasing them and they need to knock them off at Wayville to control their own destiny and hope other clubs chip in.

Reply #364200 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Folks, does it matter which club cheats the best to win the yearly raffle? Every year the clubs that can,rort the system with money being the tool that levers the trophy cabinet open. We all wish we had the money to join the clubs that do and only hypocrisy says otherwise.
Cellar dweller centrals has bought it's best chance of a shot, norwood lightning have rewritten evil and forestville does what it has always done, follows sturt into the depths.
Come saturday the game is the thing, play it and give the finger to the administrators because they are the clowns who started the joke that has the contenders crying your foul is dirtier than ours.
Where else but Adelaide.

Reply #364202 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

"norwood lightning have rewritten evil"

Can I re-use that one?

I won't be able to sleep tonight with an image of Simon stroking a bald cat and wearing a grey suit. Brenton with an eyepath and getting called number 2.

Reply #364204 | Report this post

Receipe  
Years ago

"Actually quite funny because Sharon runs six players into the ground year in and year out and has not intention of putting 7, 8, 9, 10,11,0r 12 onto the court."

Clearly not an effective strategy regardless of its inacuracy...2009-2010-2011

Reply #364207 | Report this post

Years ago

The bigger issue is why has BSA not called up the Thunderbirds coach and asked if she is allowed to play?

Would take away the speculation.

It looks like a certain club has someone in the right place to stop this from happening.

Reply #364214 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Look at it from another side

Netball SA are complicit in not answering BSA questions ( and they have no obligation to do so) Why would they, when they get to top up a National League netballers pay, without her even playing a game. Pretty good deal to me.

Saves them money..Thanks Forestville

I mean thanks parents of Forestville

Reply #364218 | Report this post

The Medic  
Years ago

Whats that sound??

Oh, its the waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaambulance.

Reply #364220 | Report this post

Hopscotch  
Years ago

It had to be called as the integrity of the game had been knocked over in a hit and run. With the perpetrators shoing no concern.

Reply #364224 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why not speak to the coaches of several other teams who were chasing her and get there answer as to what she told them about being able to play. I am sure the answer would be should could not at which time BSA should male a judgement call unless Forestville can prove otherwise.

Unfortunately the coaches of Thunderbirds and Forestville appear to be good friends so I would seek answers from Thunderbird management

Reply #364225 | Report this post

Bylaws  
Years ago

I am not why BSA should or would follow up any players employer..espicially when any player is presenting themselves as required by the bylaws...

whether any coach chooses to play any player on any given night is their choice & not something BSA would or should be involved with...

Reply #364272 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It would be to check wether they are meeting the 'ready to play' part of the bylaw.

Reply #364275 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

But the issue is that there is a huge question mark around whether or not she is presenting herself in accordance with the By-Laws. Not being at the stadium, not suited up presenting herself ready to play when in fact she is not allowed to play. She has openly said this to other clubs which were chasing her.

The Forestville junior development stands for nought if they do not have the confidence to use their juniors and must rely on very dubious actions to qualify another player.

I believe this matter needs to be referred to the Commission, not the Competition Committee for a resolution.

Reply #364276 | Report this post

randomharvest  
Years ago

Why is everybody so afraid? Buy a bag of confidence or better players and stop the hypocrisy. This type of thing is the norm. What is unusual, is the squealing from all the other piggies who haven't exactly walked straight paths or lead the way in ethical behaviour.

Reply #364280 | Report this post

My Mates  
Years ago

A couple of my friends are thinking of coming to Adelaide soon for a change of scenery
I might ask my club if they are interested in putting their names on the score sheet to qualify for the finals

LeBron & Dwayne

Reply #364282 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So do we just let things continue like this - obviously the first time to fix up a rort will have people complaining but you have to start somewhere and this is such an obvious one to test the By-Laws

Reply #364287 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cant we all agree that you're all just bitter clueless basketball nuts that have not a single piece of constructive feedback on the sport yet you spend half your lives on here pretending you're special?

Reply #364290 | Report this post

Heres some constructive feedback

YOU DON"T PLAY YOU DON'T QUALIFY

All points awarded to Forestville so far this season are wiped and just maybe BSA should go as far as Rugby League did when Melbourne storm got caught out cheating and make them play all season for ZERO points

Reply #364292 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So do we turn a blind eye to rule bending or breaking and give the Eagles their envelopes back so they have a supply under the bar!!!

Reply #364304 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

She wanted to play a bitta Basketball , I believe . Then someone says : " You're in the wrong place , my friend . You'd better leave . "
A saxaphone , someplace far off , played , as she was walking on , by the arcade . She heard the melody rise , and fade . The sun was coming up . She dropped a coin into the cup , of a blind man , at the gate , and forgot about a simple twist of fate.

Reply #364318 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm bored with this

Reply #364321 | Report this post

Drogba  
Years ago

Sure that you just dont want this to all be swept under the rug?

Reply #364330 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No, i would like to see it sorted, it's just not going to happen on this forum no matter how much whinging and bitching goes on. I don't agree with it one bit, it's also not borrego's fault or concern, take it up with the coach she's the schemer here a very nice piece of work that she is.

Reply #364350 | Report this post

Tritonus  
Years ago

Have not seen anyone here have a go at Borego.

And yes agree it has everything to do with the coach who has signed the scoresheet and written the player down when she knows they are not in the building.

Reply #364404 | Report this post

TFA  
Years ago

Some perspective please. Norwood's coach obtained as many players from as many sources as possible using his position with the Lightning to advantage his home club. Classy ? No! Good sense to take advantage of the situation? Yes!

All the better coaches send feelers out to players they think might make their team stronger.A few lesser lights even recruit to weaken their opposition.

The Forestville coach simply used her common sense within the rules such as they are to make her team stronger and God knows they needed it. The afraid of the dark conspiracies that opposition teams have raised here illustrate the the petty mindedness that clubs operate in.

Given how many clubs work outside the rules and let's be very clear on that, most of Forestville's critics should be gagging on the hypocrisy.

The competition needs every good player it can get and unlike many I believe the short term fixes of many clubs are doing more damage than good. If Pritchard was at Forestville who doesn't believe they'd be the Forestville Lightning?

How many players believe Centrals will be a force in a couple of years when the money spent at the top is exhausted and the junior country program hits the wall because it excludes the locals?

If I was playing Forestville Saturday I'd want to play against her( Ms B) because I want to match it with the best. Playing Norwood at full strength is a challenge which is why we play sport. Winning a CABL championship should be on Merit not by the omission of a key player that you can't beat her.

Baa

Reply #364423 | Report this post

Vodka  
Years ago

crap, she(coach)has knowingly done the wrong thing.
People who do that make very ordinary individuals.
Morals?
Please do not defend condoning deliberate wrongs. Ie. signing the score sheet knowing full well she isn't allowed to play.

What would happen in a workplace if you did that???

Reply #364424 | Report this post

Ex Lion Parent  
Years ago

"How many players believe Centrals will be a force in a couple of years when ..... the junior country program hits the wall because it excludes the locals?"

It's already started. Country players (and those coming from a rival club) get promised a Div 1 spot, they don't come to any trainings and they get reduced fees. The locals get shoved around and when the country kids stop playing the club wonders why the locals don't want to fill those spots. The country kids rarely last more than a season, but by that time the locals kids are happy just to play Monday nights at Starplex or have moved to another club.

Reply #364427 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

whisper heard on the street is that all lightning players wont be playing CABL for much longer!!

Reply #364431 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Winning a CABL championship should be on Merit"

Correct - not on breaking the rules to play a non-qualified player!

Reply #364434 | Report this post

hoff46  
Years ago

my kids are both non starters now with the country program.I wouldn't mind if they deserved it.Its not the families fault.I commend them on their time spent travelling etc.Its the stubborn coaches who think they've found a diamond ,but its only glass .They stick to their decision and promises which are so blatantly wrong.And the summer /winter players suffer for this.One team has done this with a whole family of three?Wouldnt happen in any other sport ,especially with the country kids Ive seen.

Reply #364440 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You can't blame the kids or their families. But it is beyond a joke when country kids that struggle in Div 2 get kept in Div 1 because their sibling is in Div 1.

Reply #364444 | Report this post

Pow  
Years ago

What happened to the old 'you don't get ticked in on the scoresheet until you are on the court' rule/bylaw?

Reply #364454 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Took Forestville a while to break the hold of certain country areas with an agenda

Reply #364478 | Report this post

Ariel  
Years ago

Heard that Netball SA is unwilling to confirm or deny the Borego status as Forestville is contributing to her finacially as a part of her playing for the T-birds.

Reply #364588 | Report this post

Tbird  
Years ago

Hey Ariel, where did you hear that...

Not sure Eagles would make any dent into TBirds contract..

Sounds like some more unsubstantiated crap to me..

Reply #364593 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Some teams have more at stake by prolonging this public debate because it takes the spotlight off their own contractual arrangements. Paper bags,canteen duties, sponsored appearances, coaching clinics,kindly sponsors who lend cars, flats/houses etc. etc., which are all fantastic for extending, bending and removing the salary cap restrictions.

One high profiler went past Elizabeth to play and supposedly got the entire salary cap yet no one can recall if she ever hit the court and Norwood must be absolute math's gurus to fit their experienced ladies beneath the cap and on it goes.

I could care less who's the best at salary cap evasion techniques, manipulation, dishonesty or adultery just wish you would all stop pretending you're squeaky clean.

Reply #364597 | Report this post

Difference between Borrego issue and Forestville's bar takings vs bar staff wages is that Borrego issue is in plain sight.

Reply #364606 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

These days , ya cain't spit outta your window without hitting Carla Borrego.
Now , there's 2 fellas with 36ers contracts
that are injured.

Reply #364609 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Rumour is that Sharon read this forum, and cross Carla's name off the sheet this week... And you said Hoops.com.au did not have an effect on the world!!!

Reply #364655 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As an avid netball watcher I am suspicious of the effect this controversy may be having on this young lady because her game on the weekend against the vixens was substandard.

It crossed my mind that the pressure she may be feeling and having exerted upon her by Forestville and the Thunderbirds, for contrasting reasons, might prove a touch heavy.

Her dominance and the aura that once surrounded her is no longer apparent and if indeed she does front for Forestville, and I hope she does, her impact might not be what was previously expected.

Reply #365009 | Report this post

Wank  
Years ago

She would not even be aware of the rubbish on this forum..

Reply #365100 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thank goodness justice was served!!

Reply #377328 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Amen to that

Reply #377385 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:14 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754