Anonymous
Years ago

Anstey confused

Anstey can't even remember his own team mates.

"Going back to Sydney, I was of the opinion it would have been great to have Simon Dwight in the squad.

“We had three guys who were very similar in Tony Ronaldson, Andrew Vlahov and Pat Reidy, so when we went to the bench we got very similar type players.

Sydney 2000 Boomers Team
Anstey, Chris
Bradtke, Mark
Cattalini, Martin
Gaze, Andrew
Grace, Ricky
Heal, Shane
Longley, Luc
Mackinnon, Sam
Maher, Brett
Rogers, Paul
Smith, Jason
Vlahov, Andrew

Topic #28415 | Report this topic

MW  
Years ago

BA published it without checking, not sure if that's any better

Reply #364442 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

Anstey is not the sharpest tool in the shed. God help the Melbourne Tigers with him at the helm.

Reply #364451 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

Were Ronaldson and Reidy in the squad? I thought so.

The fact that Anstey appreciated Dwight makes up for him forgetting the 2000 Boomers roster. Dwight was definitely there in the squad and was unlucky to not make the team. Barnes went for the best roster, loading Rogers (recent NBL MVP), Anstey (NBA), Bradtke (consistent All-NBLer) and Longley (NBA) at the 4/5 spots.

I remain amazed that the only opportunity that Dwight had in international ball was as an 11th/12th man in the '98 World Chammpionships. Dwight would have been a valuable role-playing PF at international level.

Reply #364473 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think if injurys hadnt got him Dwight would have played alot of international basketball, Nielsen had barley played for the boomers up until Dwight was constantly injured/retired. From around 2003 onwards i think Dwight would have been injured in the offseason and retired only a few seasons later from memory.

Pity about Dwight, was one of my favorouite non-36er NBL players.

Yea a bit dumb to name guys who were not in the squad, i guess it would have been Vlahov who would slide out for Dwight if he had played in 2000, which would have been tough on Vlahov coming off a title and stil doing very well.

Along with the others mentioned above, you can see why Dwight missed out, as it would have been a very tough call to leave one of the others out for him, as great as Dwight was.

Reply #364480 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I too thought Dwight deserved more opportunities in international basketball. Was an outstanding NBL player especially defensively.

Reply #364482 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It was silly to pick Longley, Bradtke, Rogers and Anstey and then run the shuffle.

Reply #364483 | Report this post

fstos  
Years ago

Anstey also talked about Great Britain as out only pool game that we may be able to take it easy and run the bench. Do some of these guys actually follow basketball?

Reply #364486 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'd expect us to beat the poms but not comfortably.

Reply #364487 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

In fairness GB werent very competitive at the Eurobasket. Gordon might come in but they are still a long way from world powers.

Reply #364488 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

True, as are we.

Reply #364492 | Report this post

Sandles  
Years ago

I am not very smart but I can lift heavy things.

Reply #364503 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:48 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754